• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Off the shelf bolt gun

blacklab1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2018
New guy here with a few new guy questions. It's time to cash in on some of my Cabala's points so I thought I'd get a new bolt gun to shoot PRS production class. The rifles that Cabala's have that I'm interested in are:

1- Bergara B14 BMP in 6.5 CM
2- Tikka T3X TAC A1 in 6.5 CM
3- Ruger RPR Gen 3 in 6.5 CM
4- Tikka TSR-1 in 308

If anyone has any suggestions on what one to get I'd like to hear what and why. I have them listed in the order of interest to me. As of right now I'm leaning towards the B14, it looks like it is built a little better then the Ruger and I like the idea that it's more or less a 700 action. I don't know much about the Tikka's, I have a T3 in a field gun and they are nice but I don't know if they are $400 to $500 nicer then the B14.
Please keep in mind that I do want to stick with production for now so the rifle has to:

A. Be under $2k
B. Be sold through Cabalas because I'm using points, not cash.
C. Would like to stick with the 6.5 CM because I have one on a AR platform.

Any input by people with more knowledge then me on what path to follow would be appreciated.

Do you know if you like a more traditional or chassis (or AR15 style grip)?

Those are all good choices, I've heard good things on the Bergara.
Another one to consider that is currently on sale down at $1k is the Ashbury Precision Ordinance M700 (Rem action) chassis gun. Available in 6.5CM or .308.
I had the same gun as this, but in the savage version. It was an extremely good gun especially for the $1k sale price.
And since it sounds like you prefer a Rem style action...

I would avoid the bergara simply because there are not a lot of off the shelf prefit barrels for it. Eventually you will want to change out your barrel and prefits are the cheapest way to go.
Tikkas are nice

Tikka actions are well known for being very good off the shelf production and smooth. They have the accuracy guarantee. Bergara's are no slouches and you seem to already be partial so your satisfaction is already tilted in your favor after the purchase. I would advise you get behind a RPR though. It surprises many. The bolt throw feels rough at first and the corduroy sound throws people off at first but it quickly smooths out and the zip sound does provide a bit of psychological satisfaction to you after a good hit on target. That said it also is competitively priced, offers ease of caliber change in the future and requires no modification at all to start hammering at distances. Small DIY mods to factory trigger can fix the minor complaints folks have with it ( doesn't adjust low enough) and the ability to handle both style of mags is very nice if you are handloading and want to get closer to the lands on your loads. I have shot the heck out of mine and it now has 3 barrels I can shoot depending on my mood....6.5, 308 and 6mm. Built in 20 MOA rail doesn't suck either when going the distance.
Lucky for you though you narrowed it down to some great rifles and probably wont be upset with performance whichever way you decide.

Do you have a chance to get some of your candidates in your hands, before you commit?
You might find something that you particularly like or dislike about balance, weight, stock, chassis, action, or trigger.

I've only handled the Ruger so far. I'd like to handle them all but I cant find them on any gun shops shelf.
Do you have a chance to get some of your candidates in your hands, before you commit?
You might find something that you particularly like or dislike about balance, weight, stock, chassis, action, or trigger.

I've handled the Bergara and RPR after owning a Tikka CTR. I like the tikka action much better than both of the others. It's smoother than both and seems better made all around. Pulling the bolt out of the RPR takes more motion on your part. But it shoots well. The bergara didn't feel good at all to me. It's just a personal preference though. If you can, handle all 3 and shoot all three, if you can't shoot them, then handle them and cycle the bolt/dry fire with permission at Cabelas. I compete with my Tikka and it does really well, doesnt react poorly to dusty, muddy or rainy conditions. Go with the 24" barrel if you plan to shoot at matches. Better velocity will help you. The 20" barrel shoots well, but my velocities are a factor I have to deal with. It's a very accurate rifle though.

I vote Tikka, nothing wrong with your other choices. If you really like the Bergara I would wait until Cabelas can get the HMR PRO.

Sorry for off topic question but what gain from hmr to hmr pro except fluted bolt?

I'd buy a Tikka CTR and save the other $800 to buy pretty much any chassis or stock I wanted (probably with money to spare), unless you just really like the TAC A1 chassis. I've never shot one, but I've handled one, and it just wasn't my speed. Not that it's bad, I just feel like I could do much better for the price difference. Only sucky part IMO is losing the 3-position safety that only the TAC A1 comes with.

I've got my Tikka in an LSS-XL G2 with a Luth MBA-3. It doesn't fold (and I didn't really want it to) but I prefer it to the Tikka chassis personally, and I think it and the buffer tube, stock and grip were something like $600, maybe less, I forget exactly what I paid for all of it.

Edit: another thread reminded me, you'd probably lose out on the Tikka mags by switching chassis also. Good or bad depending on POV, they're no cheaper and they're proprietary, but they're also not much more/no more $ depending whose AI mags you're comparing to, and lots of folks like them better. Can't help you there, as I started with a Lite, so I got a lil baby hunting mag.

Last edited:
The Seekins Precision Bravo would be my first suggestion for what you are looking to fit into.
https://www.seekinsprecision.com/product/havak/havak-bravo.html

Cabelas was carrying Seekins. If they do not have the Bravo in stock, they may be able to order it for you.

The Tikkas are very consistent.
We see a fairly consistent performance from Ruger RPRs that show up in classes.

I would beware of the Ashbury Prec Ord simply because they are dropping stock Remington Barreled Actions into the chassis. The Rem700 tubes and chambers are a crap shoot lately.

./

So it looks like Tikka has the most votes. But back to my question, is the Tikka $600 better then the Ruger or Bergara. Since I don't have an endless cash flow would I be better off with a higher priced rifle and lesser glass or going with a lesser priced rifle with better glass? Seems like ether was has pros and cons. I'm leaning towards the lesser rifle and better glass, everyone seems to agree that all the rifles listed will do well. So now its down to the RPR and Bergara. Now all I have to do is figure out what one I want and what glass to put on the rifle I chose. Kind of wish there wasn't so many decisions to make.

1 vote for stretch on glass and get the Tikka. Sako fan myself...
EBBD58B9-9EB2-4709-83D6-A5AED01192C1.jpeg

A7 Sako 7mag..$800.00, Nightforce scope....$2,850.00. 1/2+/-MOA, McMillan makes a nice adjustable A5 that this will end up sitting in and there’s more options for Tikka. The actions on the other 2 will disappoint you as Sako/Tikka have butter smooth actions. I prefer the Sako over Tikka as I feel they have a better action but they come out of the same factory. Check out the Tikka T3 thread and see what some of the guys have done with them as they are cool as hell. Good luck and enjoy?

Reactions: stello1001
Tikka!
The Tikka T3X TAC has a very nice 2 stage trigger.
There are plenty of after market accessories.
Go in to a store and handle one. If the chassis fits you well, the action and the trigger will make the decision for you.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
I'm lucky enough to have used all 3 brands you are considering. My older brother has a Tikka T3X CTR, my younger brother has the RPR, and a buddy just picked up the Bergara HMR a few weeks ago. I would easily narrow it down to the Bergara or Tikka. The Ruger is definitely a capable gun and will get you hits at distance, but it lacks the refinement and smooth feeling of the other two. Both Tikka and Bergara have nice triggers, but I'd have to give the nod to Tikka here. Its very nice out of the box, and with a $10 YoDave trigger spring you can go lighter than I suggest. Both have very smooth actions, the Tikka has a stiffer and shorter bolt lift while the Bergara is a traditional 90 degree. I prefer the Bergara's bolt lift and action, but they are both so good it will come down to personal preference. I haven't been able to do extensive accuracy testing on the Bergara yet, so I can't compare them in that regard. What I would suggest is maybe getting one of the cheaper models (Tikka CTR or Bergara HMR) and then using the extra money to buy the chassis of your choice. My bro's CTR is in an XLR element and its an awesome rig. Personally I don't much care for the Tac A1's chassis. I've never handled the BMP, but the HMR is surprisingly nice. Either way now is a good time to be getting into the precision rifle world, lots of great options out there.

Reactions: AverageGrunt
I was in a similar position 1 year ago. Was set on the RPR. I ended up with the Tikka and wouldn't change anything. The trigger is excellent. The build quality is excellent. The action is butter smooth. 1 MOA guarantee that it easily accomplishes. Does well with factory ammo. Resale is a breeze due to the aforementioned reasons and just the action is in demand. I've seen complete rifles sell quickly here and even a chassis sold recently.

But I'm probably biased. ?

PS: My wife hit 9 of 10 at 600yds and 10 of 10 at 500yds with it and she had never shot a bolt action at any distance including this rifle and likely has never shot beyond 25 yards regularly.

I've shot the Tikka and the RPR and the Tikka felt a lot better built to me. Nicer action on the bolt and finished to a much higher standard in terms of machining. Just felt like a much higher quality product.

I've also handled the Bergara and it felt a little nose heavy to me when standing with it. The Tikka balances much better into the shoulder.

I would go with the RPR. I really like those rifles and have one in 6.5 Creedmoor as well as 338 Lapua Magnum. You can remove the trigger adjustment spring in a few minutes and the trigger is fine after that

The RPR is not as refined but a totally functional LR platform with easy and excellent prefit barrel swaps. The factory barrels are a bit of a crap shoot but mine is an easy 3/4 moa gun and 1/2 to 1/4 moa with the right handloads. I planned on buying 2 and keeping the best one but my first gun has been 100% reliable and very accurate. I have no regrets with that purchase. After just a little use it becomes much smoother than what you feel initially. Using the same mags as my other rifles is a bonus and Ruger CS is excellent. My .02...

+1 for Tikka. IMO out of the box they're one of the nicest rifles out there.

Looks like the Tikka has a strong following. For a while I thought about buying a cheaper Tikka or Bergara and putting it in a Tactical Lite Element chassis, and putting the extra money towards glass. The problem with that is it pushes me out of production and you loose some of the perks with the more expensive ones. At this point I'm still on the fence on what to do.
hat I would suggest is maybe getting one of the cheaper models (Tikka CTR or Bergara HMR) and then using the extra money to buy the chassis of your choice.

I vote for RPR. The "smoothness" of the bolt and action have no effect on my shooting at all. And I can't notice much difference when I am shooting. Yes you can tell the difference in the middle of the night when you are in the garage or loading room by yourself, doing nothing but just feel the action, but when you are at the range or outside shooting, you don't notice at all.

RPR have OK trigger you can set down to 1.x pound. Worst case is getting a after market trigger if you really don't like it.

Reactions: Bender
RPR, and then toss a good aftermarket barrel on it, Seekins handguard, and buttstock of your choice when you realie that production class is stupid.

Just to be clear - as I've learned from guys shooting PRS - Production Division rules state you can't change the stock out . It has to stay "as is" from the factory to qualify for this Division.

That being said , I vote Tikka T3X TAC A1.

Have you considered just a Tikka CTR as opposed to the A1, it would cost a little less, uses the same mags as the A1 and would allow you to spend a bit more on glass? Same slick bolt it just lacks all the extra picatinny rail.

Last edited:
Reactions: RNWRKNP
If I was to go buy a rifle today the Tikka CTR TAC A1 is at the top of my list. Some of Bergaras offerings are in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place. I'm drawing a blank in the Bergara's I want. But tikka is hard to beat, about as close to a custom action as you can get without going custom. Or at least that my opinion,

Scott

The Tikka feels the best out of all of them. But they all shoot great. If you like the chassis look, the RPR is hard to beat, and it WILL NEVER BIND. That gun is an absolute tank (and handles like one).
I think Howa was mentioned, probably worth a look. I have no experience behind one though. If it were up to me? Tikka. I just can't get past how great they feel. Excellent trigger, excellent aftermarket support, great price, etc...

I've shot RPR in 6.5CM and have owned the Tikka TAC A1 in 6.5CM for over a year. The RPR shot fine; the bolt just feels like a Tikka with sand in it. I've read comments here from experienced shooters that the RPR won't hold anyone back in the early learning curve, but the rough action might limit progress later.

My Tikka has been a reliable 0.5-0.6" performer with a variety of factory match rounds. I recently acquired a custom rifle in 6.5CM so the Tikka will be going up for sale to fund still another purchase. @blacklab1, shoot me a PM if you're interested (click the envelope icon at top right of the forum screen). I'l save you a few hundred $ over new and I'll tell you all about the barrel condition (if you entertain the idea of buying used, run far away from anyone trying to sell you something but cannot/will not tell you exactly how many rounds have been fired and provide solid evidence that the total round count is valid).

I am new to long range shooting as well as this forum. Not trying to hijack the OP’s thread but I am looking for something along the same lines as the OP. I have been eyeing the Bergara BMP 14 but it looks like the Tikka T3X TAC A1 might be a better rifle to start with. Great thread and lots of good help.

I am new to long range shooting as well as this forum. Not trying to hijack the OP’s thread but I am looking for something along the same lines as the OP. I have been eyeing the Bergara BMP 14 but it looks like the Tikka T3X TAC A1 might be a better rifle to start with. Great thread and lots of good help.

Ive had the Bergara HMR (which I think is similair to the BMP) and the Tikka. Both are great guns with really smooth bolts. The most noticeable difference is the bolt throw on the Tikka is 70 degrees and the Bergara is 90 degrees. So the Tikka has a slightly tougher bolt lift, but you dont lift it as high. The Tikka bolt is SLIGHTLY smoother/less likely to bind when I run it fast. But that could just be personal preference. Im sure plenty people think the Bergara is smoother.

As far as everything else goes, both have excellent aftermarket support/accessories, and both shoot excellent out of the box. Honestly between the two, the best way to tell which to get would be to go to a gun store and feel them out. The answer should be clear to you after that! Best of luck!

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Honestly between the two, the best way to tell which to get would be to go to a gun store and feel them out. The answer should be clear to you after that! Best of luck
I have to admit I was a little surprised when I picked up the Tikka, I couldn't believe how different/better it shouldered then the others. Only downfall is I'm not a big fan of two stage triggers, but I can learn to live with that.

I have to admit I was a little surprised when I picked up the Tikka, I couldn't believe how different/better it shouldered then the others. Only downfall is I'm not a big fan of two stage triggers, but I can learn to live with that.
Are you able to swap out triggers on the Tikka? I do like single stage better myself.

Have you considered just a Tikka CTR as opposed to the A1, it would cost a little less, uses the same mags as the A1 and would allow you to spend a bit more on glass? Same slick bolt it just lacks all the extra picatinny rail.

I spend most of my time shooting 3gun so I'd like to stick with something close to the AR platform. If I change the chassis that pushes me out of production.

Just wondering, why is production not very popular? My thoughts were to try to keep things simple. When I started in 3 gun I kept wanting better. Now I'm in open class where everything seems to cost 5 times as much and the competition is 5 times harder to keep up with.

Are you able to swap out triggers on the Tikka? I do like single stage better myself.

Yup! You can swap out Tikka triggers. There are single and two stage triggers i believe. Aftermarket ones as well! Though the factory single stage tikka triggers with an aftermarket spring kit ($10) will be phenomenal

Last edited:

You can always change the trigger out to one you like! A couple different good options!