• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Off the shelf Precision Rifle under $2K recommendations

Tikka T3X UPR 20" 308 = 8.2 lbs @ $1300
~EuroOptic
I looked at the Tikka twice and I really thought it was going to be the winner for me. Had I seen it at Euro for that much, I might have been swayed. But in the end I got a very similar deal on a new Cross after snagging a carbon barrel for it (first). There's now of course a forum member absolutely bashing his newly acquired rifle in the big Cross thread. Had I read that...I guess we'll see how this turns out.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
I looked at the Tikka twice and I really thought it was going to be the winner for me. Had I seen it at Euro for that much, I might have been swayed. But in the end I got a very similar deal on a new Cross after snagging a carbon barrel for it (first). There's now of course a forum member absolutely bashing his newly acquired rifle in the big Cross thread. Had I read that...I guess we'll see how this turns out.

There's a good reason that Tikka's get suggested so often. I don't think there's a better factory option available. But to go with your budget the MPA production and Badrock Southfork models would be good solid choices and no need to assemble.

Reactions: perttime
Just poking you out of fun as I have no idea why you'd think I work for a manufacturer. I'm not part of the gun industry in any way, shape or form. Honestly, this thread has been great as it's brought up rifles I didn't even know existed. Like the Springfield 2020 waypoint you mentioned. So thanks for that. I did already purchase a rifle and I was looking for a modern precision-type frame and not a more traditional stock, but those are growing on me. Bolt rifle #2 may be along those lines.
All good.
I actually discovered the SA Waypoint on a banner add on this site just a few days ago.
I'm tempted to sell my RPR and get one in 6.5PRC.

Good luck with the Sig.

I'm 100% new to bolt guns, been lurking and reading over the past week and overall, the forum is excellent at helping me drain my bank account. I already have my eye on things like a KRG Whiskey chassis, Zermatt action, solid barrel, things of that nature. And then I come back down to earth and realize I'd probably be over-gunned with a Ruger precision rifle.

I've really decided I don't want to fool with building one. I've built a few gas guns with great success but I don't know what I don't know about bolt guns so I'd like to spend time behind one that I know is solid out of the box and not that expensive.

A few things to consider.
-I don't have any ranges, within reasonable driving distances, longer than 300 yards, that I could visit as regularly as the ones I currently frequent.
-I'm sticking to .308. I already have an AR10 and I reload for .308 and am set up for it and have numerous loads that are sub-MOA (will need to tweak for new rifle).
-I'm also sort of leaning towards the hunting/tactical end of things as that would be more practical. And again, nothing longer than 300 yards near me.
-I'm a modaholic and like to tweak things so really looking for the precision rifle chassis look as opposed to a regular stock and one with lots of aftermarket support.

I see most PR's are fairly heavy, the RPR being no exception at right around 10 pounds in .308.

I saw the Sig Cross, both the 16" barrel and the 24" model but the 24 comes in at a whopping 14+ pounds. I'm not sure the 16" will really be that much different from my AR which also features a 16" barrel. I do like the weight of the 16" model which is under 7 pounds.

The Christensen Arms MPR is interesting, a bit ugly, but there's a 24" version that's under 8 pounds. Not sure I'm 100% convinced on the carbon/heat transfer thing as I'm involved with a few products which use carbon as a heat conductor and the construction and manufacturing is waaaaay different than what I see on their barrels. The 24" might be a bit overkill for both the ranges I have to work with and hunting but I did find one for just over my price range.

So that sort of leaves me the RPR with a 20" barrel. I could see adding say a Proof barrel later on along with a new carbon hand guard (CODA most likely) to take a bit of weight off if I want to go that direction. I'll likely find it fine as is though.

Anything else I should consider that's readily available?
Easy
Bergara B14 HMR