• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Offensive title changed lol. Scope rings broke, What do you suggest I buy now?

You should have contacted Glen before making the first statement, he's a stand up guy and would of made it right. His company is not a fly by night operation he makes an intensive line of gun components and has invested big dollars in his machining and to expand his company, he is very solid in business and this site. Just an observation on the break seems to me if you tightened one side totally butted up against the upper and the lower rings and over torqued the other side would possibly made a break as your photo shows. Correct torque and an even amount of spacing on both sides of the scope rings are required, I just don't see this break happening if the correct sequins is followed.

Last edited:
Just bringing the pictures down to bottom for those that don't read the thread :)

Have read the entire thread but did not expect to see a picture showing only one broken ring posted by someone else. Could not tell that it was yours and not someone posting a picture of theirs for reference.

You might want to invest in a Borka torque wrench before you mount the replacements. Nice looking rifle btw.

OFG

Quick question on the rings. Did you tighten one side down then move to the other side(on the rings)? Or was it moving from one side to the other keeping an even spacing in the gap between top and bottom of the rings?

R

I tried my best to snug them all evenly first. No pressure. And then with slight preasure from side to side front then back. Trying to bring them all down evenly. Since you made me think more spacifically about when I put them on, I do remember thinking to myself, "man, this seams to tight... " I kept double checking my torque driver number and it was right. Then I felt it click over and was done. But they all evenly where cranked down. At least as evenly as I could. Can't be perfect.

I love peoples posts that go something like, "i know Glenn, and he is a stand up guy. Which draws me to believe that there is no way his mechanical devices could fail. You must have not used a torque wrench blablabla"

read the posts... Proper torque was used to best of my ability.
Look at photo. Metal popped.

Now here is were I could be totally wrong cause I'm not a scientist on metal... But Metal of this quality shouldn't pop. Right? Bend yes... But it would have to be some brittle metal to snap like that.

My guess it was a bad batch of metal. That doesn't mean Glenn is no longer a stand up guy. (I never said he wasn't) it means amongs the hundreds of rings made there was a bad one. No biggie.

Yes my title was me being a drama queen. I didn't think there were other drama queens out there to argue with me on my choice of title. Especially after I changed it and already appolagized.

But that's ok, I'm sure more people will not really read the thread and continue to do so :)

I got the info I needed. Approciate the suggestions. If your wondering I'm gonna go with the badger cause it's the cheaper way, to have a 45 deg rail mount on the top ring. Should end up being under $300. Maybe cheaper if I find a set used and only have to buy the top rail dirrect.

Again, sorry Glenn, thanks for all your help. And to my fellow drama queens go eat a bag :)

(Why do I do it... Maybe I like it...)

Well since you threw it out there and included one of my statements in a hodgepodge of others I am inclined to think you are referring to me as one of the drama queens. No quite not the case I simply gave you my opinion of what I thought and it's as simple as that like it or not. You seem to be the one stereo typing people as drama queens when it was your very own drama queen action of starting the thread in the beginning before contacting the company to get it resolved before going public with it, just because you apologized does not make every thing cool in your approach to things, but I am glad you got it resolved carry on.

OMG. OP must be a CalGuns member. They love to whine and cry over the internet FIRST rather than be a man and give the vendor a call to remedy issues.

I love peoples posts that go something like, "i know Glenn, and he is a stand up guy. Which draws me to believe that there is no way his mechanical devices could fail. You must have not used a torque wrench blablabla"

read the posts... Proper torque was used to best of my ability.
Look at photo. Metal popped.

Now here is were I could be totally wrong cause I'm not a scientist on metal... But Metal of this quality shouldn't pop. Right? Bend yes... But it would have to be some brittle metal to snap like that.

My guess it was a bad batch of metal. That doesn't mean Glenn is no longer a stand up guy. (I never said he wasn't) it means amongs the hundreds of rings made there was a bad one. No biggie.

Yes my title was me being a drama queen. I didn't think there were other drama queens out there to argue with me on my choice of title. Especially after I changed it and already appolagized.

But that's ok, I'm sure more people will not really read the thread and continue to do so :)

I got the info I needed. Approciate the suggestions. If your wondering I'm gonna go with the badger cause it's the cheaper way, to have a 45 deg rail mount on the top ring. Should end up being under $300. Maybe cheaper if I find a set used and only have to buy the top rail dirrect.

Again, sorry Glenn, thanks for all your help. And to my fellow drama queens go eat a bag :)

(Why do I do it... Maybe I like it...)

OP, if you are using a Wheeler FAT wrench you should check it against someone else's torque wrench in case it's out of spec. Especially since you admit that it seemed like you were turning it rather hard. They can fail.

They are aluminum...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

So is the scope tube, so are AR uppers and lowers(same aluminum as Seekins by the way), so are most DBMs. What's the point?

He keeps calling it metal.

Sorry. Thought you were jumping on the anti aluminum band wagon that usually pops up whenever aluminum rings are discussed.

If they broke, then I think the OP is allowed to conclude they suck. Seems like an odd place to break if he over torqued.

If they broke, then I think the OP is allowed to conclude they suck. Seems like an odd place to break if he over torqued.

So anything that breaks sucks? Guess S&B suck, NF sucks, Remington sucks, Vortex sucks, AI sucks, Badger sucks, FN sucks, basically every brand of shooting equipment and ammo sucks. Guess we should all just give up this sport ;)

No, but the OP is entitled to his opinion. His rings broke. I've never broken a set of rings, had to cut a set of Burris apart once when everything rusted together during a hunt, but that is about it.

No, but the OP is entitled to his opinion. His rings broke. I've never broken a set of rings, had to cut a set of Burris apart once when everything rusted together during a hunt, but that is about it.
That's your own failure to maintain your equipment properly, not the rings. I've done a lot of time in the field to include every manner of waterborne ops short of needing a tank, and I've never had my stuff rust up so bad it became unserviceable. This is with steel rings and steel tubed optics that have been in service so long, any notion of a finish is a distant memory.

I didnt say burris sucked. I know the limitations of steel screws + steel rings. That is why I prefer aluminum rings. I guess next time I spend 9 days in wet weather I should remove the scope every night and oil screws. LOL!!!!

Last edited:
I don't believe they broke while in the closet unless aliens and gremlins have been borrowing your stick. They probably cracked while on your last shooting session

He keeps calling it metal.

Aluminum IS metal. So is brass, copper, steel, iron, etc. Just because some people exclusively mean steel when they say "metal" doesn't make aluminum "not metal".