• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Advanced Marksmanship Offhand at 500 yards

Rapidrob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
New Mexico
My club members are required to learn how to shoot long range offhand. At this time they are only shooting 385-500 yards offhand,open sights only. We had a run in with the Appleseeder's where they said that no one could shoot offhand and hit a man sized target at any range greater than 200 yards.
We took that as a challenge and prove that you could easily hit a man sized target offhand,open sights using an issue Military Surplus Rifle.
This type of shooting is now a regular "leg" of our matches. None of us are some sort of super shooters, we just practice and go by the numbers. Our youngest shooter is Steven who is 16, our oldest shooter is Dale who is 72. All can and do hit the 500 yard target with no problems.
Wind is a big factor out here. The range sits at 6,000 feet and you have to recalculate bullet drop.

NMMILSURPS3.jpg

Steven shooting his 24/47 8mm Mauser at the 500 yard target.

NMMILSURPS4.jpg

Will shooting the same rifle at 500 yards.

NMMILSURPS6.jpg

Tom shooting his Enfield No4 MkI at 500 yards

NMMILSURPS11-1.jpg

Patric shooting his Jap 38 at 385 yards

NMMILSURPS10-1.jpg

Ron firing his Swede '96 at 500 yards

NMMILSURPS9-1.jpg

Ralph is shooting his AR15 A@ at 500 yards

NMMILSURPScrew.jpg

A few of the gang that shot the offhand long range match.

milsurpstarget2.jpg

The target......

NMMILSURPS7.jpg

Target through the spotting scope at 500 yards.

A month after this photo was taken, Steven our youngest shooter shot an Orex offhand at 325 yards with one shot out of his 24/47 Yugo Mauser.
I could not have been more proud of him.
My club does allow issued scoped military rifles. We have several original and PX bought in the 'Nam "sniper" rifles. The guys have fun and really prefer open sights.Got to love it.
If your ever out this way,look us up. Your always welcome.

Re: Offhand at 500 yards

Great pictures and great fun. I'm impressed. Locally we still have live turkey shoots, offhand at 100 yards. The only thing you see is about half the head of the turkey. The locals come out of the woodwork with everything from AR's to muzzleloaders. After seeing what y'all are doing, it makes me want to practice offhand even more. Great post.

Thefirst time I saw someone shoot offhand at 600 was the Inuit indians in teh Alaska National Guard - and was I ever impressed!

At one of my last Highpower matches I watched a guy shoot, for fun, offhand with an AR at 600.

So I tried it.

Not easy but with practice you can do it - and I'll check the pics out when I get home 2nite!

Our shoot this Sunday is a Turkey Shoot. Not what you'd call long range, but it should be fun. Turkey head Shoot-n-See targets set to 50 yards off hand for the tightest group. Armor "Turkey" necks set to 100 meters,( rail road tie plates) off hand. full sized turkey armor target set to 385 yards, any rest. open sights only. winner gets a 14 pound ButterBall turkey.

In our local club we shoot IMHSA silhouettes up to 250 m, many old rifles with iron sights. That's not too difficult, but I'm sure a 385+ yds shot (350+ m) would be extremely difficult offhand and with the so-so accuracy of the rifles.

What percentage do you get? If the old rifles shoot into 2.0 MOA at 500 yds (and most group much larger than that), that's already 10"+ at that distance, add the inevitable aiming errors (say another 10"+), wind, etc. and the % cannot be very good.

To me, offhand shooting is were it's at. It's the real deal, marksmanship. I'm sure others on this forum would disagree, though. I've seen something like this in the past on this forum:

Prone is the most stable position, so why would anyone want to shot offhand? Anything other than prone is a waste of time.

It is sooo nice to shoot offhand, and so rewarding to hear the clank on the silouettes...

But regarding accuracy, it is like butterfly swimming... not the most efficient way to do it
smile.gif

The old war horse rifles are not match rifles by any means. However, what we have found is that the shooters take a few " sighters",they do pretty well offhand.
Some rifle do much better than others. The Swede M96 in 6.5x55mm is a tack driver. The M1917 Enfield in 30-06, the metric FAL rifles,many of the Mausers and the AR-15 all do better than one might think.
One of our shooters,Will, is just crazy accurate using his Yugo SKS in 7.62x39 at 500 meters!
60-80% hits are common.

offhand at 500 yards with surplus rifles and iron sites? definitely earns my respect.

I could teach you to do it in just a few minutes. Once you get the basics, the rest you all ready know how to do.
There is a famous film of a soldier in WWI standing in a trench. He raises his 1903 Springfield rifle,takes a quick aim and fires.
The look on his face is one of a near miss or wounding. His rear sight is set to over 800 yards by the looks of the sight bridge placement.
What our forefathers could do with a rifle was true marksmanship.

good work on the shooing off hand this is a fun and practical position that is often overlooked

Amazing what you can do when you get off your belly or bench!
Now lets see the 500yd open sight Rice Paddy Squat!!

There's a guy that shoots HP silhouette with a Garand at our club. He doesn't win, but he does topple a few rams (500m).

Nice to see some real shooting being posted about! Never quite understood the need for a bench. I have my own 500 yard range here at the house and there isnt a bench on it. :) If I cant shoot it offand, sitting or prone with a sling and irons, I probably dont need to shoot it.

Offhand really isnt that hard...just takes a little PRACTICE. Thats a good thing.

John

Rapidrob,

With due respect, I think if anyone hits a human sized target at 800 yds, with WWI era normal (read war time) military rifle and ammo, iron sights, standing, offhand, is pure luck...
smile.gif

Are you saying yu are getting 60-80% hits, at 500 yds??
shocked.gif

I'm talking about average scores, not personal bests.
What is the size of the traget?

I couldn't help but notice the lack of slings. Having a sling always seemed to help me ALOT while shooting offhand. Some of the rifles on the rack seem to have them, but none of the pics show them employed?

Would love too. I am still having a slight difficulty to maintain steadiness with the AIAW being in the "alternate positions". In those positions, every extra pound counts...

Though I'm with you in many senses (bench shooting to me seems more about the equipment than the shooter), I have a hard time buying the idea that offhand shooting is "manly" or "real" marksmanship. At any kind of range, it boils down to as much luck as skill, and why shoot for luck when you have a precision rifle. I'll do whatever it takes to avoid an offhand shot in favor of ANY supported position (even standing supported) to increase my chances of hitting my target, not willfully shoot offhand to show I'm a bigger man than you, or a better shot.

Anything in between, but not including, bench shooting (unless I'm sighting in) and offhand is preferable.

I am a fan of offhand as well, but not a fan of straight-jackets, oversized gloves, and other non-field aids.

Our club here has a handicap rule for our vintage military rifle silhouette game that requires those scoring over 20 to shoot a bank offhand in the following match. Several of us play this game to see how far/fast we can get in a season. This is kind of like rolling the dice, as a bad-weather day can screw you over hard and make you go back a step.

This year I worked my way all the way up to shooting the entire match offhand. To be fair, our berms are screwed up and so the Chickens and Pigs are not at NRA distances, but the Turkeys and Rams are. Nevertheless, 40 rds of offhand with a stock 1896 Swede 6.5x55 was not easy. I ended up with a score of 17 after a bad start on the Turkeys, hitting 4 Rams out of 10 at 500m during the final relay. That was one of the best feelings I've ever had in competition, and having a bunch of people watching was cool as well.

Having some nice adjustable peeps and a shorter rifle would have been nice.

The hardest shooting game I have ever played was NRA High Power Silhouette - no stupid gear, just you, a scoped sub-10 lb rifle, and 40 steel targets to shoot offhand from 200m to 500m.

To the offhand naysayers, you really CAN be a reasonable offhand shot, and depending on your approach, it can really develop some good muscle control and focus unlike anything you will try in any other position. Unlike "groups", it's NOT luck.

The 60-80% hits are from the question of a surplus rifles accuracy at long rang. The rifles were fired from the prone without a sling. All shots are called and spotted. "Kentucky Windage" is used for windage by most shooters. Our target are in the open with the light coming from the 3-5 o'clock.
Offhand score are around 40% at long range.(385-600)
Slings are not used, they are allowed but the shooters have found that for the type of shooting we do they are a hindrance, more that a benefit. (Original bi-pods are allowded at the prone. No rear bags are allowed.)
While this flies in the face of trained marksmanship, they do well with a balanced hold. I train the shooters to use their "Natural Point of Aim". I learned this while instructing BUDS at Miramar Naval Air Station, San diego,CA in the early 70's. It is a spin off of the Army's "Train Fire" or "Quick Fire" system where the rifle becomes an extension of your body.
Sights are not really needed for the "snap shot" is what the Army taught.
We do use the rifles sights.
In 2007 my club took a trip south the Ft.Bliss,TX where we competed against the German Army's shooting team. To say it was fun was an understatement.We won and the German soldiers were very open to us and many a beer was consumed.
While talking to the team leader I asked about the German technique of " Snap firing" at a target. What he shared with me we put to use at our next shoot. The results were good.
We are rediscovering what our forefathers knew as kids.
As I stated earlier, none of us are super-duper rifle shots. We just do it by the numbers and the shot falls on target more than we thought they would.
In 2010 we are going to shoot our first match at 1,000 yards at the NRA Whittington Center,Raton,NM. The members are really psyched. It will be fun. And no, it won't be offhand!LOL.
Please don't turn these post into a Fire fight.I just want to share our clubs activities.
All of us love shooting long range. Scope or open sights, we have fun and you all are welcome anytime to come shoot with us,my treat.
18 pound Turkey is this Sundays prize.
I'll post the results.

Here's our New Years Day shoot. The target were set to 500 meters. No scopes, wind was right to left at 10 mph. NO sighters were allowed. 10 shots in 10 minutes. All shots were called and spotted. Hold off's were used to correct for windage. No surplus ammo was use, all shooters used new factory or handloads.
Here's some of the results from the winning/placing scores.
JanuaryShootRon.jpg

Ron was shooting a GEW 98 Mauser 1916 8x57 Mauser

JanuaryshootPatrick.jpg

Patric was shooting an STG-58 FAL 7.62x51mm, he's hamming it up.

JanuaryshootTed.jpg

Ted shot a Swede 1896 6.5x55mm Mauser

JanuartshootRob.jpg

I was using an Argentine M1912 7.65 Mauser.

As you can see, were not 28 anymore, but we do have fun and still can shoot when the need be.

Good to see some all-around shooting.

There is more to rifle shooting than shooting of a bipod. Sling up and learn something.

+1 on off-hand shooting.

At first I thought, kewl; but why?

Then I thought, hell, looks like fun; and why not?

Then I recognized that this is a sadly forgotten art.

Then I recalled the old original (not just the nuts and bolts 1965 version) 1940 version of the M1 Garand manual, all 256 pages, FM 23-5, which had all the really neato tactics and procedures for WWII Infantry warfare.

Greg

NRA highpower targets are scaled for the range -- they should appear to be the same width over your front sight post at 1,000 as they do at 200.

An off-hand shot should be no more difficult at any range than others, remembering wind will affect the bullet over its flight.

Good to see the art of off-hand shooting has not been forgotten. Alot of people now days use just about all of their range time shooting prone off a bipod or mechanical rests. But in the field, such opportunity are rarely available.

An experienced hunter once said to me "I don't give a sh*t if someone can shoot a rabbit prone at 500meters, if they can't shoot a deer off-hand at 50m"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
An off-hand shot should be no more difficult at any range than others, remembering wind will affect the bullet over its flight. </div></div>

On paper, perhaps. But I would say that in the context of the type of offhand that we are talking about this is not entirely true.

For general consumption I posit this:

With field sights (not just aperture-type) there are quite a few other factors that can really change with distance, such as atmospheric distortion, lighting, etc. All the usual suspects. The sharpness of the target outline is much more important when not shooting from a fixed position, as the ability to hold on or time the release is dependent upon target visibility (or your ability to adapt).

And, shooting at a large, black, symmetrical bulls-eye that your peeps and posts are exactly sized for is pretty synthetic. Here we are talking about more generalized field-type conditions.

The differences between offhand long and short range are similar to those between prone long range and short, but scaled up. If it was a simple matter of following a few numbers to get a hit, everyone would be doing it (and they don't do that even in prone, now, do they?). Except that for offhand, since you are not anchored on the ground with zero or minimal rifle movement, you do not have the same ability to "call" the shot and correct - this process is somewhat more difficult the less steady your hold is.......

All of this is much easier to experience rather than explain. I think that too many people are dependent upon the cement bench or deck at their local ranges, and think that being able to shoot off a bench = being able to shoot......

This is an awesome thread! The shooting here is about as tough as it gets. And if and when you ever do come up against a situation where you wished you was a better offhand shooter you get the chance to see what you can do before you go out and take a chance. Case in point, I was hunting with my wife back in '88 when we saw the biggest buck we'd ever seen. To this day! The best I could estimate he was about 420 yds out (actual) and about 500 ft. above us. Try as I might I could not slow my sight picture down to get the crosshairs on him. In fact, it looked more like: sagebrush, quakies, sky, oops, sagebrush, quakies, was that a deer?, quakies, (left) sagebrush, deer(?), sky, back down,.... Had I been practicing shooting offhand I may have had a chance at a decent shot. I passed because I couldn't hold anywhere close to being 'on him'. We were over 8000 ft. up too, and being tired from that hike took a bit more out of me too.

All I'm saying is the offhand shooting needs to be practiced in more than just one arena. We could all use it come hunting and competition time.

So, with my new AR come Monday, I'm shooting offhand @ 300 too.

I would venture to say that the folks that dont shoot high power dont because they are afraid of shooting offhand. Its not luck, folks, its skill, a learned one that comes with practice. Even with practice, some folks still suck. But, its nice to know you are good at it cause it does come in handy. Knowing that I can routinely, ie, about every time, smack the 10 ring at 200 yards offhand, keeps me from freaking out about shooting a deer at 200 yards offhand. Tonights ~70 yard shot was a chip shot...thru the neck, btw. 95gr Berger VLD dropped her in her tracks....like usual.

Dont be afraid of shooting offhand folks, but you do need to learn how to do it. Oh, btw, all that "funky gear" doesnt really make you shoot better...dont hurt, but it aint going to shoot a 10 on its own!

John

When I shot Highpower Matches, there'd be a Winter layoff.

Our Club would shoot the New York State Light Rifle League matches, which are all offhand rimfire at 50ft indoors.

The exercise improved my Highpower Offhand shooting immensely, and is the origin of my evolution to doing my training using rimfire.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chui</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Impressive by any account. </div></div>
I would say so!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottyS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The hardest shooting game I have ever played was NRA High Power Silhouette - no stupid gear, just you, a scoped sub-10 lb rifle, and 40 steel targets to shoot offhand from 200m to 500m.
</div></div>

I heard that from many Distinguished folks. Let's see, NRA HP Rifle Silhouette has been around a long time and to this day (per the NRA website) noone has shot a 40/40......

Scotty, what is the rules for vintage military rifle, I didn't know there was a way to ahoot silhouette other than offhand (except BP and their shooting sticks)......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottyS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I heard that from many Distinguished folks. Let's see, NRA HP Rifle Silhouette has been around a long time and to this day (per the NRA website) noone has shot a 40/40......

Scotty, what is the rules for vintage military rifle, I didn't know there was a way to ahoot silhouette other than offhand (except BP and their shooting sticks)...... </div></div>

Both our club and the one at Sac shoot Vintage Military matches. I don't believe these are by any NRA rules, though.

Essentially the standard NRA Silhouettes at the normal ranges (except our Chickens/Pigs are closer and we have the "handicap" rule that compensates somewhat). Prone off provided gunney sack positions, no rear support except body parts. "Rack grade" pre-1946 guns. Sac has enough people to have a couple of different classes. We just have Regular and Open (for the M1A's, scoped rifles, etc so they can play too). Accuracy mods such as bedding, triggers, non-issue sights, etc are for Open Class as well. I shoot a '96 Swede made in 1911, all matching except the bolt - shoots like a dream.

We held 2 HP Sil matches last year, don't know if we will schedule any this year or not. I run the Walking Varmint (offhand, sitting) and Long Range Varmint (prone) Silhouette matches here, so I really can't take any more on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottyS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottyS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Scotty, what is the rules for vintage military rifle, I didn't know there was a way to ahoot silhouette other than offhand (except BP and their shooting sticks)...... </div></div>

Both our club and the one at Sac shoot Vintage Military matches. I don't believe these are by any NRA rules, though.

Essentially the standard NRA Silhouettes at the normal ranges (except our Chickens/Pigs are closer and we have the "handicap" rule that compensates somewhat). Prone off provided gunney sack positions, no rear support except body parts. <span style="font-weight: bold">"Rack grade" pre-1946 guns.</span> Sac has enough people to have a couple of different classes. We just have Regular and Open (for the M1A's, scoped rifles, etc so they can play too). Accuracy mods such as bedding, triggers, non-issue sights, etc are for Open Class as well. I shoot a '96 Swede made in 1911, all matching except the bolt - shoots like a dream.

We held 2 HP Sil matches last year, don't know if we will schedule any this year or not. I run the Walking Varmint (offhand, sitting) and Long Range Varmint (prone) Silhouette matches here, so I really can't take any more on.</div></div>

Is that design or actual date of manufacture. I have a K-31 that would be excellent doing that. But if it can't play cause it's a '51 then I would have to find something else. My 1909 Argentino would work.... My T-38 Turk might work too...not sure on the date on that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Is that design or actual date of manufacture. I have a K-31 that would be excellent doing that. But if it can't play cause it's a '51 then I would have to find something else. My 1909 Argentino would work.... My T-38 Turk might work too...not sure on the date on that. </div></div>

K-31's are fine, it's a design/initial production cutoff. The breakoff for US .mil guns is the M1 Garand, the M1A is too modern.

The Sac guys even have a dedicated "sniper" version match occasionally.

The Turk might work for the date but it would be when hell freezes over that thing could be accurate enough to win. It's a 4-5 MOA gun on a good day. w/good ammo.

Here at Sac Valley, only the Stock class has different classifications (Master, AAA, AA, A, B), while in the Open class, everyone is classified the same. We also go by date of acceptance into service, not manufacture. K-31s and the like that were produced well after 1946 are still considered vintage as long as they configured as pre-'46 service rifles.

Recently we have had a few gas-gun only matches under the same rules.

To me, shooting vintage rifles with iron sights is the most fun you can have on the ground with your clothes on.

There are no NRA rule governing our match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olympian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here at Sac Valley, only the Stock class has different classifications (Master, AAA, AA, A, B), while in the Open class, everyone is classified the same. We also go by date of acceptance into service, not manufacture. K-31s and the like that were produced well after 1946 are still considered vintage as long as they configured as pre-'46 service rifles.

Recently we have had a few gas-gun only matches under the same rules.

To me, shooting vintage rifles with iron sights is the most fun you can have on the ground with your clothes on.

There are no NRA rule governing our match. </div></div>

I re-aquainted myself with trying to precision offhand shoot an AR with a 30 rd. mag in yesterday. What a pain in the @$$! So, today I'm taking the K-31 and the Argentino out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was wrong with shooting precision offhand with a 30 round mag?

John
</div></div>

I can't get my stubby arms/body around it. I need a 20 or a ten.

Ok, I see. Also try running your arm under the mag where it rests almost into your creased arm/elbow and put your hand up and around the delta ring with fingers into the carry handle. You will need to be wearing a glove to do so. I used this hold for high power offhand shooting for a while. Works ok, but in HP, the 30 round mag cant be touching the coat/arm for support so it might not work there. But for informal use, have at it!

John

I tried seating the 30 rd mag in my elbow crook but I'm off in how the build works. It almost seems like it was easier shooting with the A2 buttstock. The other problem I'm dealing with is I don't have high enough rings on the scope (or my open rear sight assy either for that matter). When I get the open sights this may become a whole lot easier. And a short magazine isn't all that much either. It'll make this fun shooting long range.

Edit:

The other thing I need is a sling (need rear swivel for my fancy buttstock)

I think all "tactical bipod" shooter should take their tactical rifle to a 500m NRA High Power Silhouette range and shoot a full 40 round match. The guys who has never tried this game will get a real eyeopener. Hitting the steel targets with a 2x4 unbalanced peace of railroad trac and christmas tree reticle is difficult :) The heavy rifle should in teory give them an advantage..

PS: The stock Steyr SSG is excellent for NRA High Power Silhouette. The SSG complies with the rules with a leightweight scope. It has extremely fast locktime, good trigger and very good balance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottyS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's NOT luck. </div></div> It's all luck. That being said the more you practice the luckier you get
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TorF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think all "tactical bipod" shooter should take their tactical rifle to a 500m NRA High Power Silhouette range and shoot a full 40 round match. The guys who has never tried this game will get a real eyeopener. </div></div>

I could not agree more and bet not many would do it again.

Great thread, just found it. Shot some iron sites with my Yugo 8mm a couple weekends ago, reminded me of how much fun it is to shoot these great old rifles. Looks like a great group of guys that enjoy what they do. Any day on the range is a good day no matter what your shooting. Just like all forms of shooting, offhand is one we should stay in touch with. You guys keep up the good work.

okie