• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I was talked into buying some cheapo ammo which I'm not sure is going to work for my 308 chambered DTA. It's 7.62x 51mm it's the same shape and size as the 308s but the shop guy said it may have a little more kick to it. Is it a safe bet to say it's okay to fire it? Anyone got any input on this?
Generally discouraged... What manufacture and bullet weight? If it is true 7.62x51 NATO ball you probably are better off saving it for your FAL/HK91/M1A etc. On the whole 7.62x51 vs. .308/5.56x45 vs. .223 I have always stuck by the adage: the US can go to NATO, but NATO can't go to the US meaning .308/.223 ok in NATO chamber, but not vice versa. I have heard some debate that Federal Gold Medal Match 762x51 is in all ways identical to their .308 GMM, but nothing definitive. If you're not already handloading-start. If you are dead set on not handloading try some Fed GM308M2 175.gr, or your selection from Hornady. I like Berger 175gr. Long Range Boat tail, Lapua .308 brass, Fed 210M match primer, and 44.1gr. Hodgdon Varget, seated long @2.910" COAL in my covert 16" 1:8. Like the man said, don't put cheap ammo in your expensive rifle...

Guys,
I have some updates for everyone who is wondering what is happening at DTA.

Backlog,
We have been ramping up our production since April and I am happy to announce that our aggressive production efforts have increased production output over 300%. If you have orders with us that are older than April 2013 your salesperson should have already contacted you or your dealer, if not they haven't, they will be very soon. We are trying very hard to allocate rifles evenly across to the board so some dealers may not get all rifles ordered at the same time. The new rate of production will rapidly start chopping away at the remaining months of backlog so please bare with us because things are progressing very rapidly now.

Customer Appreciation,
Myself and the DTA team truly appreciate you are customers, you are unique because you share our vision for innovation in creating tomorrows weapon systems, you appreciate the seamless integration and simplistic design of our products that eliminates the unnecessary and optimizes the necessary. You watched a home grown company start from nothing with a vision to create the extraordinary and helped us to grow to where we are today. Your patience and feedback is always welcome and appreciated.

Team Appreciation,
The aggressive nature of the market this year has taken a tole on our teams spirits because we have tried very hard to take care of everyone but unfortunately our growth limitations caused longer delays in delivery and product support than any of us wanted. Although customers don't see what is happening behind the scenes I am proud of the efforts my team has put forth this year and I appreciate their hard work, I realize that never-before have they worked so hard and accomplished so much and at the same time been so unappreciated due to the stressful market climate. I want to thank Russ for maintaining online customer support and the sales staff for manning the front gates. I gotta give our production and engineering teams props too because they have made huge steps forward.

Warranty,
We have a new warranty manager, his name is Michael Kennedy. Please call him for future warranty needs at our office 801-975-7272. We apologize for any excessive warranty delays that have occurred in the past. Our previous warranty manager was also our assembly manager and with our high production requirements he was unable to have the time needed to provide timely warranty support that many require. It has taken us longer to make this improvement than we had wanted but we are happy to have the additional man-power that was needed.

A comprehensive progress overview such as this very much appreciated. I really wanted to go to the covert/A1 cheek/butt pad etc, so sold my gen2 chassis with the monopod and ordered the A1 with the monopod option. Unfortunately, my chassis was part of the "bad batch?" monopod stretch and I have been waiting for sometime for new the A1 skins/monopod that have been on back order thru my dealer. Hopefully, with production ramped up I will get the new monopod setup soon. You never now how much you miss that well designed piece until you don't have it! I have sold virtually every precision rifle setup I owned, because this DTA (6.5x47, .308, .338L) is my go to rifle. Well done, and big time kudos to the entire Desert Tactical crew!

Generally discouraged... What manufacture and bullet weight? If it is true 7.62x51 NATO ball you probably are better off saving it for your FAL/HK91/M1A etc. On the whole 7.62x51 vs. .308/5.56x45 vs. .223 I have always stuck by the adage: the US can go to NATO, but NATO can't go to the US meaning .308/.223 ok in NATO chamber, but not vice versa. I have heard some debate that Federal Gold Medal Match 762x51 is in all ways identical to their .308 GMM, but nothing definitive. If you're not already handloading-start. If you are dead set on not handloading try some Fed GM308M2 175.gr, or your selection from Hornady. I like Berger 175gr. Long Range Boat tail, Lapua .308 brass, Fed 210M match primer, and 44.1gr. Hodgdon Varget, seated long @2.910" COAL in my covert 16" 1:8. Like the man said, don't put cheap ammo in your expensive rifle...

Here is a picture of it on the right next to a true 308. Again it wasn't my intention to buy the cheap stuff I was talked into it with the assurance it would be just fine. He looked up the rifle and was like "Yeah Yeah It will be just fine". WP_20131105_001.jpg

I would love to get into reloading but I am confined to the barracks and they have many many rules against ammo/gun powder in my room.

Last edited:
I'm heading to TX for a hunt this weekend. I'll be sure to take plenty of pics. Just loaded up 50 Hornady 285's. I don't think Bambi is going to enjoy the outcome.

BuhLockay, are you shooting a 1000yd match with the Texas whitetails, or hunting them....Why the mighty 338LM for such thin skinned, medium sized game; and with match bullets nonetheless!

Sent using Tapatalk

BuhLockay, are you shooting a 1000yd match with the Texas whitetails, or hunting them....Why the mighty 338LM for such thin skinned, medium sized game; and with match bullets nonetheless!

Sent using Tapatalk

Curious as well but I suppose with such a short package the .338 dta isn't any harder to carry than a traditional .308 bolt rifle. Not to mention I don't think it matters much what type of bullet you use on a deer when it's a .338 lapua. Good ballistics as well. If you can shoot it well with the recoil hell why not? Price isn't a concern either with only 1-3 shots per hunting trip.

Nevertheless I'm interested in his choice and why he chose it. I think the 16".308 would be perfect for deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent using Tapatalk
Good question. Mostly because it's a new toy, and I want to show it off to my buddies. The ranch also has a 1000 yd range for banging steel. We do have some opportunities for shots at longer ranges, but even then a .338LM isn't needed. We usually use .308, 6.5 CM and a 7 WSM. I mostly hunt with my bow. Trust me, I won't be blowing down whitetail from a box blind with a braked .338! I have no interest in flash banging myself.

mikedinh987, we hunt about an hour east of San Angelo. It's a really nice property. I can't wait!

Those 285 Hornady's perform amazingly well on deer. They are a fantastic hunting bullet. Dropped quite a few deer with them myself.

And you can light your cigarette with an M9-7; but just because you can, doesn't necessarily mean you should...

I'm assuming BuhLockay is using the 285gr Amax, I know a lot of guys use them for deer and antelope in smaller calibers successfully, and even elk 285gr 338LM. But it is a match bullet, not designed for hunting, it can exhibit explosive expansion much like a varmint bullet. Whitetail are fairly thin skinned animals; I'd worry about getting good expansion, considering inside of 200yds you're pushing that pill about 2700fps @ about 4500ft/lbs of energy. Also, the match bullets aren't designed with weight retention as a real key factor. I'm sure the 338 does fine killing on kinetic energy alone if your shot placement is halfway decent and anywhere near the heart. But if you're shot placement is off at all ie: deer moves, etc.. I'd be worried about lack of expansion and a small entry/exit wounds, and anyone that whitetail hunts knows how strong the whitetails will to survive is and how far they can run if they still have blood pumping through their bodies. If you're hellbent on getting a kill your 338 conversion (and I'm the same way when I get a new rifle); I just think there are better choices from Hornady ie: SST/Interlock/Interbond or Nosler Accubond/Partition. I enjoy the thrill of a long range kill as much as the next guy, especially speed goats to make the hunt more exciting. But I also strive for ethical quick kills, and believe bullet selection is a key component to that.

But if you're travelling to Texas the real thrill is in the size of the bucks. Their herd management & co-ops work better than anywhere in the world, and their deer are proof of that. Here's pics of two S. Texas bowkills on a private ranch my buddy is the land manager on.
usy5eted.jpg

y9yseza7.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Guys, I am very proud to announce that I am now a sponsored Desert Tactical Arms shooter. Nick and the crew have been very generous in assisting me in my shooting career. I have qualified for the Precision Rifle Series Finale and due to the help from DTA I will be able to shoot the Finale with a new A1 SRS and Kahles scope!

One of the things that I am asked to do is help with any questions and provide help on this and other forums. I will do my best to answer questions here and through PMs.

Thanks,
Ty

Attachments

• DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0045.jpg
    DSC_0045.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0046.jpg
    DSC_0046.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0050.jpg
    DSC_0050.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 48
Ty,
I know you've been doing a lot of short barrel 260 testing in your competition rifles. Have you started testing 260 short barrel testing for your DTA yet? I'd be curious to see what results you've had. I see a compact 260 barrel for my Covert in the future and am trying to decide on length, to go with. This would be primarily a hunting barrel, with secondary duty banging steel and possibly a few local matches.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hello from Australia guys. Its my first post here after finally getting through the 105 pages of this awesome thread.
Ive had my gen 1 srs for about 2 years now, and absolutely love it. I have the 308 and 338 conversions, and im saving hard for more. My question is
In regards to the monopod. I just bought the monopod and up until now, had been using a Tab rear bag. I have only shot 50 rounds with it, but so far im struggling for consitency. Where do you guys hold it? Do you grab the monopod itself, or grasp the butt hook? When i used the rear bag, i didnt touch the actual stock at all, but i guess with this you have to? Any tips on hand placement, pressure, style?

Cheers guys.

Welcome! I think that one of the most under rated features of the rifle is the monopod. My friends that I shoots comps with call it the cheater pod, LOL.

I keep my support hand on the rear of the rifle and the monopod at all times. It never leaves when I am prone. I always have the fine adjustment at least 7-9 full turns out so that when I am rapidly changing targets I can use the rough throw adjustment, and then fine adjustment with out ever bottoming the fine adjustment out. Also I don't really like the pod to be directly on a hard surface like concrete. It seems to "bite" more and be more stable if I have a mat, or even my coat between the surface and the pod.

Does this make sense? If not, I will take some pictures.

Thanks,
Ty

Ty,
I know you've been doing a lot of short barrel 260 testing in your competition rifles. Have you started testing 260 short barrel testing for your DTA yet? I'd be curious to see what results you've had. I see a compact 260 barrel for my Covert in the future and am trying to decide on length, to go with. This would be primarily a hunting barrel, with secondary duty banging steel and possibly a few local matches.

Sent using Tapatalk

Not a 260, but rather 6.5 Creedmoor. However, I doubt the results would be much different.

It seems to me that most people regard 223 and 308 as the few calibers that do well in short barrels. I disagree. I have ran several 26", a 22", and a 16". I ran all 3 lengths with the same load using a 139 Scener. All 3 lengths were equally accurate, and of course the only difference was velocity. All of my 26" barrels are between 2790-2830 fps. The 22" was about 2760, and the 16" was at 2650. For me, I am sticking to the 26 because I am primarily a comp shooter and the SRS is so compact to begin with, I will take advantage of the extra velocity.

This help?

Ty

And you can light your cigarette with an M9-7; but just because you can, doesn't necessarily mean you should...

I'm assuming BuhLockay is using the 285gr Amax, I know a lot of guys use them for deer and antelope in smaller calibers successfully, and even elk 285gr 338LM. But it is a match bullet, not designed for hunting, it can exhibit explosive expansion much like a varmint bullet. Whitetail are fairly thin skinned animals; I'd worry about getting good expansion, considering inside of 200yds you're pushing that pill about 2700fps @ about 4500ft/lbs of energy. Also, the match bullets aren't designed with weight retention as a real key factor. I'm sure the 338 does fine killing on kinetic energy alone if your shot placement is halfway decent and anywhere near the heart. But if you're shot placement is off at all ie: deer moves, etc.. I'd be worried about lack of expansion and a small entry/exit wounds, and anyone that whitetail hunts knows how strong the whitetails will to survive is and how far they can run if they still have blood pumping through their bodies. If you're hellbent on getting a kill your 338 conversion (and I'm the same way when I get a new rifle); I just think there are better choices from Hornady ie: SST/Interlock/Interbond or Nosler Accubond/Partition. I enjoy the thrill of a long range kill as much as the next guy, especially speed goats to make the hunt more exciting. But I also strive for ethical quick kills, and believe bullet selection is a key component to that.

But if you're travelling to Texas the real thrill is in the size of the bucks. Their herd management & co-ops work better than anywhere in the world, and their deer are proof of that. Here's pics of two S. Texas bowkills on a private ranch my buddy is the land manager on.

Sent using Tapatalk
Dave, I understand and appreciate your concern. This topic has been beat to death all over this forum, so I won't readdress it. However, I'll say this, a heart shot with a rifle is less than optimal in my experience. I've put a hole in a doe's heart and still had her go 130 yds. I've never seen a deer hit in the shoulder get out of sight. The majority nose plant.

Regarding Texas, no real giants where we hunt...unlike South Texas. I go there to be with my buddies and thin the heard. The ranch owner loves us coming because we tag out on does and shitheads. I like the meat way more than the antlers.

Great bucks by the way. High fenced?

Ty,
Thanks for the feedback, are you running 1:8 twist barrels? DTA increases twist rate quite a bit for their 16" & 18" Covert barrels vs the longer SRS barrels; this has proven to produce high performing barrels. Have you played with twist rates at all, I don't forsee any advantage in the 6.5CM as the 1:8 is sufficient to stabilize the 139 pills. Typical 260 1:8.5 rate is sufficient to stabilize the 140gr Nosler partitions, which is pretty much max for the 260. I was just curious to see if you have tested twist any different twists.

Sent using Tapatalk

Dave, I understand and appreciate your concern. This topic has been beat to death all over this forum, so I won't readdress it. However, I'll say this, a heart shot with a rifle is less than optimal in my experience. I've put a hole in a doe's heart and still had her go 130 yds. I've never seen a deer hit in the shoulder get out of sight. The majority nose plant.

Regarding Texas, no real giants where we hunt...unlike South Texas. I go there to be with my buddies and thin the heard. The ranch owner loves us coming because we tag out on does and shitheads. I like the meat way more than the antlers.

Great bucks by the way. High fenced?

10,000 acres of fair chase, they belong to a co-op with the majority of the surrounding landowners; everyone does a great job of herd management and protein supplementation. Biggest thing is they let em grow, unless it's a cull buck they don't shoot nice bucks unless they are 7.5yr or older typically.

Sent using Tapatalk

Chubbles,

What twist rate did you choose for your 6.5x47 22.5" barrel? I was going through some bullet info in my Bryan Litz book last night to decide on which conversion kit to add to mine once I get it. I really liked what I found for the BCs both (G1 and G7) and the stability factors for the 6.5 bullets. Also really like the availibility of .243 off of the shelf, but understand that the .243 can be a barrel cooker.

Dave Becker,

How many deer have you killed beyond 600yds?

None,
Whitetail is my favorite animal to hunt, it's more like a religon to me. I consider them one of the smartest and most challenging game in North America. My preferred weapon for whitetail is a bow, i enjoy the experience of the hunt as much or more than the kill. I do gun hunt them as well, but where I hunt the longest shots i get are just shy of 500yds, and I only cull does at that distance.

Yotes, speed goats, pigs, and prairie dogs I have quite a few kills in the 600-750yd range. Orkan, I've watched some of your videos; I'm sure you have a ton more long range kills than me, the Dakotas afford tons of opportunity for that. Typical Texas kills are well inside of 150 yds, this wasn't about long range kills, was more curious about the selection of 338LM and bullet for the game hunted.

Sent using Tapatalk

Has anyone done a DTA barrel in 30-06?
Using the factory 300win mags and bending feed lips. Run a 27".

Out to the range this AM with DTA SRS A1 with 22" 308 conversion. 5 shots at 100 yards with 25-30 mph crosswinds left to right with holdover to left about 1".
D09321A6-6B3A-4C42-83CE-BDDDA904F02A-690-000000EF1871B1CE_zps2360cde3.jpg

None,
Whitetail is my favorite animal to hunt, it's more like a religon to me. I consider them one of the smartest and most challenging game in North America. My preferred weapon for whitetail is a bow, i enjoy the experience of the hunt as much or more than the kill. I do gun hunt them as well, but where I hunt the longest shots i get are just shy of 500yds, and I only cull does at that distance.

Yotes, speed goats, pigs, and prairie dogs I have quite a few kills in the 600-750yd range. Orkan, I've watched some of your videos; I'm sure you have a ton more long range kills than me, the Dakotas afford tons of opportunity for that. Typical Texas kills are well inside of 150 yds, this wasn't about long range kills, was more curious about the selection of 338LM and bullet for the game hunted.

Sent using Tapatalk
I bowhunt as well. Coyote hunting is about the only thing that gets me as jacked up! :)

While you are correct in that a 285HPBT is a "match" bullet, that does not automatically mean it is a bad hunting bullet. I have proven to myself on many occasions that it is a fantastic hunting bullet, both up close, and far away. I would not hesitate to use it on anything in north america.

The 52SMK I'm using on coyotes is also a match bullet... yet thus far it has performed better than any "hunting" bullet I have ever used.

The theory that match bullets are unsuitable for hunting is born from the fact that many of them are unsuitable. So I understand the thinking. However, I always recommend people try things for themselves before subscribing to an idea as fact. Also remember that in order to kill something, you must hit it, and the 285HPBT from hornady is the most forgiving and accurate 338 bullet I've ever used.

Ty,
Thanks for the feedback, are you running 1:8 twist barrels? DTA increases twist rate quite a bit for their 16" & 18" Covert barrels vs the longer SRS barrels; this has proven to produce high performing barrels. Have you played with twist rates at all, I don't forsee any advantage in the 6.5CM as the 1:8 is sufficient to stabilize the 139 pills. Typical 260 1:8.5 rate is sufficient to stabilize the 140gr Nosler partitions, which is pretty much max for the 260. I was just curious to see if you have tested twist any different twists.

Sent using Tapatalk

No, we mainly use 1-8" twist, but have used 1-8.5" twist.

I am probably mistaken, but I think DTA offers the 16" 308 with an 8 twist because they assume many are going to suppress heavy subsonic projectiles. I was not aware of the other short barrels being a different twist.

Ty

Has anyone done a DTA barrel in 30-06?
Using the factory 300win mags and bending feed lips. Run a 27".

I don't know of anyone doing this. Unless you only shot 30-06, my question would be why? It could be a lot of headache to mess with the mags to get the gun feeding right. If it were me, I would go with a .308 or .300 if you wanted a .30 caliber gun. I personally shoot a DTA SRS in .260 and it is a laser. I wish I would have made the switch from .308 to .260 years earlier.

Thsnks Ty. I really like the idea of using the fine thread out some turns so it doesnt bottom out when adjusting quickly. Thanks for the tip. So are you actually grabbing the monopod or the stock? And are you just 'holding' it there, or pulling into the shoulder slightly? My Tab shooting mat has a grippy front section, so i'll be sure to place the pod on it next session. Id really appreciate some pics if you can. It seems like an easy question, but DTA's are still rare around here. I even had a guy tell me the pod is no good at all for consictency, and that i shouldnt use it for groups?

Thsnks Ty. I really like the idea of using the fine thread out some turns so it doesnt bottom out when adjusting quickly. Thanks for the tip. So are you actually grabbing the monopod or the stock? And are you just 'holding' it there, or pulling into the shoulder slightly? My Tab shooting mat has a grippy front section, so i'll be sure to place the pod on it next session. Id really appreciate some pics if you can. It seems like an easy question, but DTA's are still rare around here. I even had a guy tell me the pod is no good at all for consictency, and that i shouldnt use it for groups?

I have been shooting a DTA for a few years. I would rather use a rear bag when shooting for groups, but I have shot many great groups when using the monopod. Like Ty said, when shooting in comps you want to have the monopod about 7-9 revolutions out.

No, we mainly use 1-8" twist, but have used 1-8.5" twist.

I am probably mistaken, but I think DTA offers the 16" 308 with an 8 twist because they assume many are going to suppress heavy subsonic projectiles. I was not aware of the other short barrels being a different twist.

Ty

Ty is right, one reason we used the 8" twist on the 308 is for stabilizing the 210-230 grain pills for the guys into that. That said, some of the best groups we have shot in testing ammo is with the 16" 308. I have a bunch of rifles that I test our ammo in, including a barrel that Ty made my. That thing is a hammer.

Guys, I am very proud to announce that I am now a sponsored Desert Tactical Arms shooter. Nick and the crew have been very generous in assisting me in my shooting career. I have qualified for the Precision Rifle Series Finale and due to the help from DTA I will be able to shoot the Finale with a new A1 SRS and Kahles scope!

One of the things that I am asked to do is help with any questions and provide help on this and other forums. I will do my best to answer questions here and through PMs.

Thanks,
Ty

Damn Ty, looks like Nick gave you my setup :D
I'd love your feedback on the Kahles as I'm thinking of getting that instead of S&B PM II

Thanks RMW. Would you say it's 'harder' to shoot groups with it, or it just takes more practice to be consistant with?

When I am shooting for groups it is typically at a concrete bench. I think a leather bag in the rear is a little more consistent to shoot from than the metal monopod. In terms of ease of use, the monopod is easier to adjust in my opinion. If you are sitting on the fence in regards to the monopod, I would get it. It is something that you will not regret.

When I am shooting for groups it is typically at a concrete bench. I think a leather bag in the rear is a little more consistent to shoot from than the metal monopod. In terms of ease of use, the monopod is easier to adjust in my opinion. If you are sitting on the fence in regards to the monopod, I would get it. It is something that you will not regret.
^this, you will never regret it.

I have a early serial number (below 50) DTA rifle. Can I upgrade the recoil pad to something a little beefier like the new style pad they offer?

Picked up my rifle today at the shop. Perfect timing now I'm off to train for an entire month next week so I won't have much time with her before I go. :(

WP_20131106_003.jpgWP_20131106_004.jpg

I have already bought it and installed it. Ive only shot 50 rds with it though, and i found it hard to be consistent. I am glad to hear all you guys love it. I definately just need a higher round count with it. Id love some pics too, when you get a chance Ty.

I agree with RMW. The monopod takes a little getting used to. I found it's easy to apply too much pressure to the cheekrest because the monopod is so much more rigid than a bag...if that makes sense. It's easy to get sloppy, I guess. As long as you apply solid fundamentals it'll shoot groups just fine. See the proof below. Yes, this is a 5-shot group. Yes, there are only 2 holes. This rifle is silly.

28" SAC barrel - .338LM
Hornady 285grn
90.4 grns H1000
2736 fps

Attachments

• IMG_20131103_224539.JPG
    IMG_20131103_224539.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

My support arm is pointed towards the muzzle and I make a "C" with my thumb and fingers that both stabilize the rifle and move the fine adjustment wheel.

As far as shooting groups goes, I absolutely use the monopod for shooting groups, but this is going to come to individual preference.

I have included a picture of a stage shot at the 2013 TBRC in Sacramento. The stage was a 30 second par time to shoot 5 shots for the tightest group most centered in the target at 100 yards with 24 shooters shooting at the same time. I did this with the monopod. Group measures .35" from edge to edge with .264" subtracted for bullet diameter.

Attachments

• mail.jpeg
    mail.jpeg
    3.5 KB · Views: 30
Damn Ty, looks like Nick gave you my setup :D
I'd love your feedback on the Kahles as I'm thinking of getting that instead of S&B PM II

It is more than nice. Flat out ridiculous! The Kahles is all that they say it is, a Schmidt killer. The scope its self has had lots of press and reviews already, so I plan on doing a write up of the reticle it's self as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, ASAP may be about a month out. The thing is that I just got the scope, and have been crazy busy. To begin with, we just got done running the Vegas PRS match. Also, I had a run of guys wanting 6.5 barrels. So much so that I even sold my personal barrel with 400 rounds through it to a guy who wanted it. So now I have to finish my own barrel, practice, and shoot the PRS finale in only a couple of weeks. However, after that I will definitely be very familiar with it and promise to give an honest review.

Stay posted,
Ty

Last edited:
Ty,

I have just placed an order a few weeks ago via Europtic for a DTA with the monopod and the 300 win mag conversion kit. I wanted to get another conversion kit and already have a .308 rifle. Was thinking of the 260, 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 x 47. Would like to maintain the Lr shooting ability in a less expensive bullet eater. What are you finding the most consistant? Do all of these operate on the short action bolt and magazine?

I wanted to get another conversion kit and already have a .308 rifle. Was thinking of the 260, 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 x 47. Would like to maintain the Lr shooting ability in a less expensive bullet eater. What are you finding the most consistant? Do all of these operate on the short action bolt and magazine?

Yes they all work with your bolt and mag, they are all pretty much the same ballistically, so just pick which one you like. I went .260.

You mean they will work with the 300 WM bolt and mag. I thought there were different bolts and mags for the different calibers? BTW thanks for the response.

You mean they will work with the 300 WM bolt and mag. I thought there were different bolts and mags for the different calibers? BTW thanks for the response.

You will need a .308 bolt and mag to work with the 6.5 calibers. The 300 WM bolt shares the same bolt face as the 7 WSM that DTA offers.

For you guys looking for DTA rifles, I just got notice that a chunk of my SHOT order is ready to be picked up. I will have some SRS A1 chassis and conversion kits for those that are interested. I will try to get some pics and details posted in the For Sale section once I pick them up.

Ty,

I have just placed an order a few weeks ago via Europtic for a DTA with the monopod and the 300 win mag conversion kit. I wanted to get another conversion kit and already have a .308 rifle. Was thinking of the 260, 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 x 47. Would like to maintain the Lr shooting ability in a less expensive bullet eater. What are you finding the most consistant? Do all of these operate on the short action bolt and magazine?

You have already gotten good information. Here is my take.

All 3 6.5's are ballistically superior to a 308. They drop subsonic around 1500 yards depending on environmental conditions. We have actually shot our 6.5's out to a mile (1760 yards), but of course there are way better tools for this (like for example your 300 Win Mag).

In a DTA, any of them would require a 308 bolt, magazine, and a short action bolt stop (some guys, like Russ for example, don't use the bolt stop).

Between the 3, the 260, and 6.5 Creedmoor are about ballistic twins. The 6.5 x 47 is slightly slower. Here are the pluses and minuses for all 3 that I see:

plus
Lapua brass is available
DTA makes factory barrels
Brass can be easily made from a ton of different resourses

minus
Lapua brass is expensive
Remington brass sucks

6.5 Creed
plus
Excellent factory ammo available at about $25 per 20
Bullets can be seated further out (not much of a plus in a DTA as the mags are so generous)
Hornaday brass is fairly cheap and good (some don't share this opinion)

minus
Only one source for brass (Nosler brass is coming)
Difficult to make brass
DTA does not currently make factory barrels

6.5x47
plus
Lapua brass
small rifle primer
DTA factory barrels available

minus
brass is expensive
I'm not aware of any other source of brass
slower than the other 2

My pick of the 3 is the Creedmoor. Mainly because every barrel we have put out (50ish) all shoot the same load extremely well. I shoot a lot, and don't have time to load develop after every new barrel. We spin a barrel, and it shoots as good as I am able to pull the trigger with the same load every time.

Other folks have excellent results with the other 2 flavors.

Just my opinion,
Ty

You have already gotten good information. Here is my take.

All 3 6.5's are ballistically superior to a 308. They drop subsonic around 1500 yards depending on environmental conditions. We have actually shot our 6.5's out to a mile (1760 yards), but of course there are way better tools for this (like for example your 300 Win Mag).

In a DTA, any of them would require a 308 bolt, magazine, and a short action bolt stop (some guys, like Russ for example, don't use the bolt stop).

Between the 3, the 260, and 6.5 Creedmoor are about ballistic twins. The 6.5 x 47 is slightly slower. Here are the pluses and minuses for all 3 that I see:

plus
Lapua brass is available
DTA makes factory barrels
Brass can be easily made from a ton of different resourses

minus
Lapua brass is expensive
Remington brass sucks

6.5 Creed
plus
Excellent factory ammo available at about $25 per 20
Bullets can be seated further out (not much of a plus in a DTA as the mags are so generous)
Hornaday brass is fairly cheap and good (some don't share this opinion)

minus
Only one source for brass (Nosler brass is coming)
Difficult to make brass
DTA does not currently make factory barrels

6.5x47
plus
Lapua brass
small rifle primer
DTA factory barrels available

minus
brass is expensive
I'm not aware of any other source of brass
slower than the other 2

My pick of the 3 is the Creedmoor. Mainly because every barrel we have put out (50ish) all shoot the same load extremely well. I shoot a lot, and don't have time to load develop after every new barrel. We spin a barrel, and it shoots as good as I am able to pull the trigger with the same load every time.

Other folks have excellent results with the other 2 flavors.

Just my opinion,
Ty

Ty gave some excellent info. I know a few guys that went the 6.5X47 route and have changed over to .260 to get a little more velocity.

I went with the .260, because it was a factory offering by DTA and I don't mind reloading and working up a load. When doing load development for my .260, I loaded up 10 different loads with 139 Scenars. All 10 loads i tested my first day all were pretty much at or under 1/2 MOA. My DTA .260 just flat out shoots.

I had DTA make up about (10) 6.5 Creedmoor barrels for me last year. I was tempted to keep one for myself, but my .260 was and is still shooting great plus I had 500 pcs of lapua brass for it. The 6.5 Creed is a great caliber for those that do not reload. I had a number of people that purchased the 6.5 Creedmoor DTA barrels contact me to let me know how great they were shooting with factory Hornady 140 ammo.

If you reload, I would strongly look at the .260 as there are a few more sources for brass. If you don't reload, I would go the 6.5 Creedmoor route. DTA will have 6.5 Creedmoor conversions soon. If you can't wait for the conversion from DTA, I hear that TY's barrels shoot awesome. Another nice thing about going with a custom barrel, is that you can pick the length, profile, fluting, etc. With the conversions from DTA you will only have one choice in barrel length for the 6.5 caliber rounds.

I have a early serial number (below 50) DTA rifle. Can I upgrade the recoil pad to something a little beefier like the new style pad they offer?

I'm in the same boat as you with an early Gen 1 rifle. Nick has said that some of the A1 parts will be available for guys like us as upgrades, namely the slim handguard and buttpad, but not for a while. I think they plan to fill all the backorders first and catch up on production. If we want the monopod or the adjustable cheekpiece, that's going to require sending our receivers in to get milled.

I agree with RMW. The monopod takes a little getting used to. I found
it's easy to apply too much pressure to the cheekrest because the monopod is so much more rigid than a bag...if that makes sense. It's easy to get sloppy, I guess. As long as you apply solid fundamentals it'll shoot groups just fine. See the proof below. Yes, this is a 5-shot group. Yes, there are only 2 holes. This rifle is silly.

28" SAC barrel - .338LM
Hornady 285grn
90.4 grns H1000
2736 fps

Thats a good point about cheek pressure. With a hand held bag in the rear, im used to smooshing my face on there pretty good. When i use the pod the elevation is spot on, but its windage thats moving shot to shot (no its not the wind). So i guess i may be applying too much pressure as you say. May i ask if you grip it hard, or 'just enough'?
Cheers