• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Awesome, I want to see pics of that huntin buggy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

My Franken-cart. Traded a ruger mark2 for it. My son calls it the silent stalker. We even rigged a shooting rest on the passenger side that works great. We use it at night "lights out" with thermal and NV scopes to do damage on the hog population.
7uhybatu.jpg
y4a4aje3.jpg
4u2asady.jpg
qezyzu9e.jpg

TV

Quick question for Nick, Russ, or anybody else from DTA, is the AMR reticle for the k624i the same price as the mil4 and mil6 reticle? I was supposed to have gotten the AMR as per talks with your sales people supposedly noting it on the order since there was no AMR option on the order sheet but received the MIL4 still and now am told that there is a difference in price. Please let me know so I know if I should return this back in for the AMR or not. And do you have them in stock?

By the way, thanks for the rifle. I was not expecting it this early at all.

I ordered one with the AMR back in August and was told I am 4th on the list. Haven't got it yet, but I talked to someone last week and apparently they are coming soon. Sounded like they had to do some final tweaking. I cannot wait to get this thing mounted! I do believe the AMR and MSR reticle scopes are $200 more.

That's a sweet rig, I love my mark 2 got 3, dad just asked me today if I wanted to go bama with him next year and hog hunt. Id love to take my covert and bust one. If I can get permission from the warden I am gonna try to go with him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

What is break in procedure on an SRS? Do you have to actually take the barrel out or is there access from the back? I don't mean that in a homo way, lol.

Not that I totally believe in break in, but I do it for good karma with the rifle gods. Lastly what is the torque tool I see most people use for the DTA's?

Thanks

Looking for a pic of the A1 cheek rest that is square to the camera so I can make a template. Have found a couple of pics but because the lens is not inline with the cheek rest there is always a difference in the left and right dimensions. Thanks!

What is break in procedure on an SRS? Do you have to actually take the barrel out or is there access from the back? I don't mean that in a homo way, lol.

Not that I totally believe in break in, but I do it for good karma with the rifle gods. Lastly what is the torque tool I see most people use for the DTA's?

Thanks

Sako,
The tool you see is a Seekonk 70in/lb preset torque driver, with a 5mm hex socket. DTA sells them individually or in the operator maintenance kits. They haven't been in stock anywhere so I ordered my directly from Seekonk's website.

I checked the manual and didn't see anything regarding recommended barrel break-in procedures. I'm not a big believer in barrel break-in so I follow Bartlein's guidelines since those boys have a pretty good idea what they're talking about!
http://www.bartleinbarrels.com/BreakInCleaning.htm

Sent using Tapatalk

You have the option of removing the barrel and cleaning it individually, but most folks just insert the boreguide and go from there. And you definitely want the Seekonk torque wrench in your kit with your rifle. You can use it to switch out barrels, disassemble the new bolts and torque yours rings.

Sako,
The tool you see is a Seekonk 70in/lb preset torque driver, with a 5mm hex socket. DTA sells them individually or in the operator maintenance kits. They haven't been in stock anywhere so I ordered my directly from Seekonk's website.

I checked the manual and didn't see anything regarding recommended barrel break-in procedures. I'm not a big believer in barrel break-in so I follow Bartlein's guidelines since those boys have a pretty good idea what they're talking about!
Bartlein Barrels, Inc. - Break In/Cleaning

Sent using Tapatalk

I just received a large order from DTA. I have some Torque Wrenches if anyone is interested.

JUST picked up my rifle today. I LOVE IT! I was worried after I spend the money that I might not like it. BUT I already feel very good about the platform and have no issues. Now I just need to get my new 243 barrel finished up. Anyone want a 6.5x47L barrel cheap!

Quick question for Nick, Russ, or anybody else from DTA, is the AMR reticle for the k624i the same price as the mil4 and mil6 reticle? I was supposed to have gotten the AMR as per talks with your sales people supposedly noting it on the order since there was no AMR option on the order sheet but received the MIL4 still and now am told that there is a difference in price. Please let me know so I know if I should return this back in for the AMR or not. And do you have them in stock?

By the way, thanks for the rifle. I was not expecting it this early at all.
Best to call their customer service. That's what their for. Let's give Nick a break and let him run the company.

What is a popular bipod setup for the DTA? I was thinking of just doing a stud for my harris but that will put the barrel pretty high above the legs. Really happy with my Sako bipod I recently purchased which puts the barrel at the pivot.

Our initial pricing in 2013 for the AMR was the same as the other reticle options, it wasn't until mid-way through the year that Kahles told us the price was going to be higher.

What is a popular bipod setup for the DTA? I was thinking of just doing a stud for
my harris but that will put the barrel pretty high above the legs. Really happy with my Sako bipod I recently purchased which puts the barrel at the pivot.

Depends what you want it for, but you'll find alot of guys are running the Atlas with qd mount, myself included. I seem to remember Nick saying he preferred the Harris swivel, but to each his own. My vote is for Atlas. I think it was Orkan who did a nice little video comparing the two. Check it out on his youtube channel ( primal rights productions) or something like that :p

Last edited:
Spent some time behind my rifle dry firing. It came natural! I was worried at first, but I love this thing. Need to practice mag changes, im slow.

For bipods both the atlas and harris are great. The latest version of the atlas is much better than the early versions. I use the harris because it is faster to deploy and when I hunt I don't want to worry about the button on the atlas.

For bipods both the atlas and harris are great. The latest version of the atlas is much better than the early versions. I use the harris because it is faster to deploy and when I hunt I don't want to worry about the button on the atlas.

+1, but not for hunting for me. Competition shooting. If speed of deployment or movement is desired, Harris is the hands down winner. If absolute rock solid platform is needed go Atlas.

Ty

Last week, I was out in the Mojave, had to bust out the Covert to make sure she was in good form. Hadn't used the .308 barrel since about july, and since I was in Kalifornistan, had to leave my can at the border. So there I was, lying in the warm desert sun, picked out a rock about 12X18", ranged it at 780yds, and cold bore center punched it. Followed it up with a 990yd rock of a slightly larger size with the same results. Damn I love this gun:

torque wrench - I suggest the Borka kit instead.

I also use the Atlas for a bipod, but recently switched to the BT10 from the BT10-LW17 (QD) since I don't really ever take it off the DTA...

Good to know, thanks for all the info on bipods…etc...

I ended going with my Harris and a stud to Mako picatiny adapter. It's not QD but I never take my bipods off. Down the line I will look for a more center line bipod that has larger feet with claws, more similar to the one I use for my Sako's

Looking for a pic of the A1 cheek rest that is square to the camera so I can make a template. Have found a couple of pics but because the lens is not inline with the cheek rest there is always a difference in the left and right dimensions. Thanks!

Pretty please!

anyone running an AAC suppressor on their 22" 308 with long forend? AAC reccomends re-threading the barrel to 5/8-24 to eliminate baffle strikes. I just do not want to re-thread only to find out that the mount/suppressor is too close to the rail.

...So here it is BuhLockay, I was wrong to criticize you; hunting is meant to bring pleasure and entertainment; how you choose to go about it is a matter of personal preference. Besides, what is more exciting than the anticipation of getting a kill with your badass new rifle on it's first fielding. I apologize for my soapbox rantings and wish you the best of luck on your upcoming hunt, please post pics when you get back.
Dave, I appreciate the sentiment, but there's no need for an apology. I'd be concerned if some folks weren't questioning the ethics of long shots on game animals.

Moving on...I'm back from a GREAT, long weekend in TX. Since this isn't the hunting thread, I'll stay focused on the DTA, though.

I got my .338 LM mag and bolt the Friday prior and only had one day for load development. Quickload and the OBT theory were spot on, predicting 90.2 grains of H1000 under Hornady 285 grainers through a SAC 28" Bartlein 9.5 twist. Due to the compressed time table and unfired brass (incorrect H2O capacity), the original prediction was at 91 grains, so 90.4 was the lightest batch of five I had loaded up. Regardless, it shot a great group, so I decided to stick with that. The results are attached.

The first pic on the left is sighting in at 1K yds. I dialed 7.4 mils but held for no wind. I wanted to be able to mil the impact from the bull in order to get real-world data on what the wind was doing. It was only 2-3 mph, left to right. The next imact shown was holding .4 mils. The vertical spread can't be more than 3/4". I know this isn't a fluke because I shot two 4-shot groups with sub-5" spreads the day before at 1K. The other splashes are from a .300 WinMag and a LA Precision 6.5CM.

The next day we stepped it back to 1250 yds. After a first round hit (big deal, it's a 3'x3' target) and some banging away above the bull, I came down .1 mil and held a group for my last 4 shots. The magnet we were using for a bullseye got knocked off, but it was right under my buddy's hand. I'm sure the gun could perform even better under ideal conditions. We were fighting a pretty bad mirage.

Finally, I included a pic of the range with the my A1 chomping at the bit. Where the trees close in on the right is 1250 yds.

Bottom line: This is an amazing rifle. It's easy to shoot, amazingly accurate, and I had zero issues getting used to the new bolt throw. You guys still waiting will not be disappointed. Thanks to Mike at Oakland Tactical for busting his ass to ensure I was set up for my trip, Mark at SAC for doing his usual, and DTA for bringing to market a great product. This was the most fun I've had behind a rilfe.

Attachments

• 1000 yd.jpg
    1000 yd.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 1250yds.jpg
    1250yds.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 30
  • bluetees3.jpg
    bluetees3.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 31
Bottom line: This is an amazing rifle. It's easy to shoot, amazingly accurate, and I had zero issues getting used to the new bolt throw. You guys still waiting will not be disappointed. Thanks to Mike at Oakland Tactical for busting his ass to ensure I was set up for my trip, Mark at SAC for doing his usual, and DTA for bringing to market a great product. This was the most fun I've had behind a rilfe.

Is that AR500-550 steel, 338 sure hits with authority. So just curious is that the Steiner 16X, it looks familiar as I have that on my Sako TRG 22 and really think it's stellar. Not sure how it would work for a 338 going out a mile? Just guessing here.

Best to call their customer service. That's what their for. Let's give Nick a break and let him run the company.
I did call in and need to call to finalize my order. I haven't had the chance to call again.

Our initial pricing in 2013 for the AMR was the same as the other reticle options, it wasn't until mid-way through the year that Kahles told us the price was going to be higher.
That is what I thought. I really do appreciate you guys shipping out my whole system out way early. By far the best surprise I have received in years, really great early birthday and Christmas present to myself. I wasn't expecting it until February. But I do need to call Madison again to send you guys the check or if she wants to do it by email again.

But when I initially ordered the scope, you guys couldn't put the AMR reticle on my order ticket as it showed the MIL4 reticle, but said it was noted and I should receive the AMR. The order was placed on 11 June 2013. So if you guys could work with me on that I would appreciate it. I do not want to disclose the price difference that I was quoted unless you are ok with it. I don't know if it is worth the price difference or worth the wait if you don't have them in stock.

I will set a reminder to call Madison tomorrow while driving.

Last edited:
Is that AR500-550 steel, 338 sure hits with authority. So just curious is that the Steiner 16X, it looks familiar as I have that on my Sako TRG 22 and really think it's stellar. Not sure how it would work for a 338 going out a mile? Just guessing here.

Nope. Definitely not AR500. I was able to punch a couple holes in it at 1K. Inside 800 yds it makes holes like a paper puncher.

That's a Premier 5-25x. I do have a Steiner 5-25x, as well. They're also really nice, but the Premier was already dirty. :)

Nope. Definitely not AR500. I was able to punch a couple holes in it at 1K. Inside 800 yds it makes holes like a paper puncher.

That's a Premier 5-25x. I do have a Steiner 5-25x, as well. They're also really nice, but the Premier was already dirty. :)

Nice shooting BuhLockay!

Ok, not quite clear in the picture. Makes more sense to have a 25x on top of a 338. The Steiner 25 is nice but I could not get used to the msr thickness so since sold it. I too have a Premier and go to it over my SNB for the great glass and Gen2XR reticle, it will be going on my DTA when she gets out of jail. For me the biggest advantage on the Premier is the tooless knob adjustment.

A question for anyone loading for 308 and 260. Do you find the magazine length a hinderance in loading to the lands or is there ample room? Reason I ask is I have run out of room on AI mags for other rifles when loading Scenars.

Last edited:
henrybui,
If you received a MIL-4 scope we should have charged MIL 4 pricing, if you received or are still waiting for an AMR you should have been charged a higher price. I am out of the country this week so just posting real quick between meetings. Please call Mike our sales manager and he will correct any mistake that was made. 801-975-7272.

thanks

Nick

Might be a little unclear what I'm requesting so below is a pic of the angle I need. Doesn't have to be perfectly horizontal, lens just has to be perpendicular to the cheek riser. A width measurement would be nice too!

dtacheek_zps763305fc.jpg

Please.png

If nobody beats me to it i will get you this picture tonight after work. Can you pm me your email?

If nobody beats me to it i will get you this picture tonight after work. Can you pm me your email?

Thanks so much for the pics and measurements. All I'm doing is making a template to cut out a God'A Grip customizable cheek pad for my Gen 2 to have similar look to the A1.

Here is the cheek template that I created if anyone wants to do the same for their Gen 1 or 2. Just print it out at 6 inches horizontal length to match up with the self adhesive God'A Grip customizable cheek pad or the appropriate length for your Sorbathane cheek pad of choice.
A1CheekTemplate_zps961af14b.jpg

A question for anyone loading for 308 and 260. Do you find the magazine length a hinderance in loading to the lands or is there ample room? Reason I ask is I have run out of room on AI mags for other rifles when loading Scenars.

I HIGHLY doubt the magazine will hinder you. I load for 260 with a SAC barrel and have had zero issue seating too long. I'm 0.010 off the lands right now, and have plenty of room left. Same with my 300 win mag. With my 300, I tested loading into the lands, and still had lots of room. That's the beauty of the DTA mag in my opinion.... Even if it's only 5rds.... And $100.