• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Does anyone have any advice on running a scope right to the end of the handguard on 16" 308 barrel? My XRS sits back a couple inches from the end but I have a Nightforce on order that will possibly hover halfway over the single chamber muzzle brake. Anyone run one like this and have any issues with gas on the lens? I intend to run it suppressed 95% of the time but would prefer the flexibility of running it without a can.

Is it just me or are there way more listings for DT rifles, chassis, barrels listed on GunBroker in the last two months than ever? Seems like the prices are getting better too? Production or stock exceeding demands? I have been looking for the last 2 months trying to find a good deal and have never seen this many listings or this many options for vendors.

Is it just me or are there way more listings for DT rifles, chassis, barrels listed on GunBroker in the last two months than ever? Seems like the prices are getting better too? Production or stock exceeding demands? I have been looking for the last 2 months trying to find a good deal and have never seen this many listings or this many options for vendors.

So whats considered a good price? I'm looking for one.

Does anyone have any advice on running a scope right to the end of the handguard on 16" 308 barrel? My XRS sits back a couple inches from the end but I have a Nightforce on order that will possibly hover halfway over the single chamber muzzle brake. Anyone run one like this and have any issues with gas on the lens? I intend to run it suppressed 95% of the time but would prefer the flexibility of running it without a can.

My SRS runs exactly as you describe, with the scope hanging right above the muzzle. I run suppressed 99.9% of the time so it is hardly an issue, but the few times I have strayed into Californistan, I didn't notice any significant lens contamination after >50 rounds. I have seen a few coverts with dirty lenses on them though, unknown how many rounds it took.

I am in California so I can't have suppressors or anything fun. I have had longer scopes on my 16" 308 and I do get build up on the objective. It happened with my razor 2 with the sunshade on, happened with my AMG, and with my tt525.
The razor 2 without the sunshade was ok. It does get annoying because you've got to clean it more often than normal. Not sure about long term effects on the lens coating, but I can't imagine it's very good for it. Right now I've got a 5-20US so it isn't an issue, but it does present some challenges when scope shopping.

Better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and say oh shit.....

My SRS runs exactly as you describe, with the scope hanging right above the muzzle. I run suppressed 99.9% of the time so it is hardly an issue, but the few times I have strayed into Californistan, I didn't notice any significant lens contamination after >50 rounds. I have seen a few coverts with dirty lenses on them though, unknown how many rounds it took.

I am in California so I can't have suppressors or anything fun. I have had longer scopes on my 16" 308 and I do get build up on the objective. It happened with my razor 2 with the sunshade on, happened with my AMG, and with my tt525.
The razor 2 without the sunshade was ok. It does get annoying because you've got to clean it more often than normal. Not sure about long term effects on the lens coating, but I can't imagine it's very good for it. Right now I've got a 5-20US so it isn't an issue, but it does present some challenges when scope shopping.

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'll have to stay suppressed! Now to research lens cleaners that don't fuck up the coatings...

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'll have to stay suppressed! Now to research lens cleaners that don't fuck up the coatings...

My lens would get dirty at about the 20-30 round mark. Shooting 168gr fgmm or 165 hornady gmx. With a badger fte brake. Cleaning got really tedious after awhile so I just got a shorter scope.

It's not about finding cleaners that don't mess up the coatings... it's about cleaning it somehow without having the microscopic carbon and nasty particles scratch the lenses.

That would be the primary concern I agree. I guess shoot suppressed is the answer until I get a longer barrel. That or make something that screws onto the muzzle brake to redirect the gasses like the AAC blastout.

Does anybody have experience with barrels from es-tactical for their SRS? He has barrels for a great price, just have never heard of his stuff. Thanks

Where can I get an extension key/wrench to install extensions? Already have vise, etc.

Where can I get an extension key/wrench to install extensions? Already have vise, etc.

From Desert Tech

How about Special Purpose Rifles barrels? Looking at both of these for a new barrel.

Very good stuff, and a great guy to deal with as well.

​​​​​​​
Does anybody have experience with barrels from es-tactical for their SRS? He has barrels for a great price, just have never heard of his stuff. Thanks

Top notch, I have had a couple rifles built by him, and several DT barrels for friends, very good product.

I've made up a couple of the barrel extension wrenches but I think the cost on the ones from DT isn't unreasonable.

Just finished up a new caliber barrel and bolt build. I had a customer who wanted a 7.5 Swiss setup so I built one for myself to see what it took. Opened up the bolt face on a standard 308 bolt because the Swiss round has a .494" diameter case head. It didn't take much to make it work right. The reamer came from JGS and was ground to fit the Military GP11 round supplied by the Swiss govt. After dialing in the scope we got a little bored ringing the 6" X 8" plate at 225 yds and started picking off small rocks at about 240yds. Haven't put it on paper yet but its looking good. 338 Lapua magazines work if the feedlips are bent in just a little. Interesting round with a bit of potential in the bolt action that it will never get in the roller delayed blowback assault rifles or the straight pulls.

Frank

I am glad to see this site back to a somewhat normal format.... I stopped using a few years ago because it was a pain to navigate....

Anyways, back in 2015 while I was on hiatus with this site I bought my DTA. Here is my post from Calguns on my journey. I have also added a 338 barrel to this set up. I also changed the Larue mount to a ERC-TAC so I could remove it and have MOA adjustable to 70 (I think I'm at 40 or 50 right now with no issues out to a mile with 338).

I have been waiting for the right time to get a bolt rifle and decided that I wanted a desert tech because of the caliber changes up to .338 and smaller size. I met some of the guys from Desert Tech last year at SHOT and was sold then. Took me a while to finally start to get everything, but I did. I decided to get the FDE chassis to go a bit different from ALL my black guns and glad I did. For optics I decided to get the Schmidt Bender 5x25 with MTC and H2CMR reticle also in FDE (black was on back order 8-12 months). I really like the H2CMR reticle.

So, when I got the gun with the 6.5x47 lapua barrel and scope together and took it out to shoot... I loved it. No recoil.... with ballistics of 300WM, it was great. Only problem was that the scope was orange-ish compared to the gun. I tried to like it as it was, but in the back of my mine I didn't.

So, I began the search to change the gun. I started looking for different camo patterns on the internet that would possibly match the FDE Schmidt but could not find anything good. I was searching digi camo, camo and then ATACS. I think I found one picture after 2 weeks with the FDE Schmidt and Bender, but it didn't look that good. I was refered to OC custom coating by Natalie from West Coast Guns Works in Stanton. Paul is the owner at OC Custom Coatings and we set up a time to meet. He is a good guy and it's a small shop in Placentia. They do all kinds of coatings including gold and chrome plating. I had decided to do a Cerakote in camo, but just wasn't sure on color scheme since there wasn't anything to really go by. I had Natalie meet me there to go over the colors I wanted with Paul. I was going for a ATACS style of camo and wanted to be sure the base color would match the scope. It took about 4 weeks and I am happy with the results. I wanted to have the black of the mount, rails, bipod, pad to stay black and pop with the barrel. Here are some pics of the process.

Minus final color...

Bought the 308 22" barrel while waiting for the cerakote

Only problem was that the scope was orange-ish compared to the gun. I tried to like it as it was, but in the back of my mine I didn't.

I was considering a S&B 5-20 UltraShort for sale in the Post X here, but I couldn't stop hating the color! Great job convincing me that it can look great. lol Beautiful rifle

What up guys?!?!

I received a large shipment of Hawk Hill blanks. These are the best made in my opinion. In HH, I have:
9.5 twist 338
9 twist 30 cal
8 twist 6.5
7.5 twist 6

I also have some Bartlien 6's, Benchmark 338, 6.5 and 6mm.

I typically ship inside of two weeks for the time of order. Feel free to contact me at [email protected] with any questions.
Thanks,
Ty

4 bullets to hit the Mile!

Attachments

• photo60318.jpg
    photo60318.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 47
Anyone tried the dt bore guide? On my conventional bolt guns I use a tipton bore guide. I was also wondering if you can use the dt bore guide without removing the barrel from the chassis?

I was also wondering if you can use the dt bore guide without removing the barrel from the chassis?
Yes, you use the bore guide without removing the barrel. It slides in and locks down just like your bolt would. I stuff a shop rag up in the mag well behind it to catch drippings. It doesn't have a very tight fit to the cleaning rod and it's pretty short, so there could be room for improvement.

Possum Hollow makes a very good one. I have several and they work great

If anyone is looking for a 300WM 26" complete conversion kit I have one for sale in the accessories posts

I would like to find a 6.5 creedmore barrel to try. If anyone would loan me one just for a few rounds and then I could return it. Just not sure if I want that caliber. I have SRS in 308 so all I need is the barrel right?

I would like to find a 6.5 creedmore barrel to try. If anyone would loan me one just for a few rounds and then I could return it. Just not sure if I want that caliber. I have SRS in 308 so all I need is the barrel right?

Correct, but you are better off finding a local with a 6.5 Creed rifle to put a few rounds through instead of hoping someone sends you a barrel.

Ok, Dumb Question for the weekend.. Is there any issue using the scope sunshade hanging beyond a covert barrel to help keep the lens a little cleaner?

I am hoping to pick up a 16" .308 barrel this summer, but I know I will run into the optic getting carbon'd up over time. I know its not ideal to have the muzzle blast transmitted to the optic but I am currently stuck in Illinois so no suppressor, and I would rather not put a blast diverter on the end. I don't know if a diverter would even work considering gas rolls back coming out of a normal muzzle.. Worst case is I say screw it and just wait until I move to Texas..

Ok, Dumb Question for the weekend.. Is there any issue using the scope sunshade hanging beyond a covert barrel to help keep the lens a little cleaner?

I am hoping to pick up a 16" .308 barrel this summer, but I know I will run into the optic getting carbon'd up over time. I know its not ideal to have the muzzle blast transmitted to the optic but I am currently stuck in Illinois so no suppressor, and I would rather not put a blast diverter on the end. I don't know if a diverter would even work considering gas rolls back coming out of a normal muzzle.. Worst case is I say screw it and just wait until I move to Texas..

That's what I am currently doing with my 16 and 17" covert barrels. The sunshade of my Nightforce is hanging over or flush with the brake and I haven't seen any downsides to it.

Whats not to like? if you like the 308, there is no downside to the 6.5CM or 260. Literally everything about them is better.

Whats not to like? if you like the 308, there is no downside to the 6.5CM or 260. Literally everything about them is better.
The added recoil, inferior ballistics, and extended barrel life of the 308 can be looked at as a significant advantage over many other cartridges if one is looking for pure training value. Better is not always, better, as it were.

The added recoil, inferior ballistics, and extended barrel life of the 308 can be looked at as a significant advantage over many other cartridges if one is looking for pure training value. Better is not always, better, as it were.

True, I assumed the OP had already conquered those things, since he was looking at another barrel.

Now I want a .308 barrel again...Thanks Orkan

I am strongly considering a .223 kit for my "training". If i want to conquer recoil, I already have the win mag barrel. lol

My 308 barrel is a damn hammer and stupid easy to load for.

Completely agree that recoil is a necessary component of training. Never really bought into the 223 trainer idea. If you want a fun 223 just call it that. If you're trying to save money, load cheaper bullets for mid range practice and positional in a 308 or your match cartridge of choice. I digress....

Completely agree that recoil is a necessary component of training. Never really bought into the 223 trainer idea. If you want a fun 223 just call it that. If you're trying to save money, load cheaper bullets for mid range practice and positional in a 308 or your match cartridge of choice. I digress....

I agree with your logic, 110%. And now I am leaning .308 again...Damnit.

To be honest, I did want the .223 just as a fun plinking cartridge because I feel hitting ground squirrels and blackbirds with a .30 is just overkill. lol I am unable to reload due to my current living situation, so the cheaper ammo (while not match) appealed to me more. Because I can't reload, it feels stupid to pay the same price as good 6.5 Creed ammo for "training" .308 ammo.

I agree with your logic, 110%. And now I am leaning .308 again...Damnit.

To be honest, I did want the .223 just as a fun plinking cartridge because I feel hitting ground squirrels and blackbirds with a .30 is just overkill. lol I am unable to reload due to my current living situation, so the cheaper ammo (while not match) appealed to me more. Because I can't reload, it feels stupid to pay the same price as good 6.5 Creed ammo for "training" .308 ammo.

I love all of the above honestly, but the last conversion kits that will ever leave my safe are probably the 308 and 223.

Except barrel life… :) ~2,500 rounds on the 6.5CM / 260Rem, vs ~7,500 rounds on .308 barrels. I'm happy to make that trade-off, but folks should be aware of it.

ETA: Dang it, orkan beat me to it. Teach me to post before reloading the page…

And with the new bullets from flat line the 308 is awesome. I still would like to look at the 6.5.

I love my .308 barrel, but I've also got a 6.5 and .223. Really hoping to get the .223 out tomorrow or Wednesday.
I think everyone should have a .308 barrel for one reason or another as mentioned earlier.

I love my .308 barrel, but I've also got a 6.5 and .223. Really hoping to get the .223 out tomorrow or Wednesday.
I think everyone should have a .308 barrel for one reason or another as mentioned earlier.

You will love it, a friend of mine has one and from the pictures he sent me its hammer with factory ammo.

Ditto on the 308, there is such a variety of powder/bullet weight combinations available to play with. Guess I enjoy reloading more than most, next adventure is to come up with a subsonic load to run suppressed.

I must admit that I have a custom 6.5 that is my comp gun and it is wick accurate with Berger 130 VLD's, but it's a long gun. Regardless 6.5's are awesome too.

I feel everyone needs one of each and then some!

I have a 16" .308 It's my main deer rifle. With a can its short and handy and it's Thor's hammer on deer to 400 with 155 Berger's. My favorite barrel by far though is the .223 Cheap accurate and fun to shoot. I use a 6.5 and 300WM with 26' barrels but both for mostly long range.

Anyone encounter problems with mag retention on an SRS-A1? My old 5-rounders (.260Rem) have been working fine, but I got one of the new 10-rounders with the slick coating and it wants to drop out under recoil. Only tends to drop out on the first 3-4 rounds when fully loaded; once it gets down to six or seven rounds it tends to stay in place. Is there a way to adjust the amount of mag catch engagement? The mag catch itself looks fine, I think it just needs a little deeper engagement into the magazine.