• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Would one of you guys with a newer SRS A1 tell me what your model # says on your receiver? I just noticed mine just says DT SRS with no (A1), just want make sure I have an A1
thanks
I received my new SRS A1 less than a month ago and it only has DT SRS marked on it.

Anyone know what paint matches the FDE on our SRS? Was thinking about painting the barrel. I see Brownells has a Magpul FDE Allumihyde 2. Dunno if that's a match though. I'd rather skip taking the rifle to Home Depot/Lowes to compare the color.

Cerakote H-265 Flat Dark Earth

I'm curious what these rifles weigh . My state has a weight limit for legal hunting rifles. Need some real world information as to the weight of different DT combinations. Ready to shoot weight , full mag , optic , bipod ect. I don't want pay the price of admission for a rifle I can't hunt with.

Mine weighed in at 14 lbs with the 26”, 7WSM barrel, Burris XTR ii scope and bipod. Going to get a lot heavier in a couple weeks when I get the 32”, 338LM axial bull barrel.

I’m at 20lbs with Harris bipod, RRS tripod adaptor, Kahles 6-24x56 w/ Spuhr mount, Silencerco Omega, and Silencerco Radius. This is with a 26” 6.5 SAUM. Few ounces more with 30” .338 LM.

~ 15.5 pounds SRS Covert 18” 300WM NF 7-35 atacr, atlas biood, era-tac mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRS A1 with 27" 6xc medium Palma barrel, Razor Gen 2, ARC M10 mount, mag, bolt, Atlas bipod, RRS tripod adapter comes in at 16.6 lbs on my bathroom scale. Ammo not included.

What is the weight limit for your state, and does it state just the rifle or all up total weight with scope, bipod, etc?

You can easily come in under that. I'm running a Vortex AMG and ARC M10 mount on mine and with the factory 22" 308 barrel or my lite 25" 6.5 Creed barrel the rifle weighs a little over 13 lbs. An Atlas Bipod weighs about 1/2 lb. Kind of depends on your hunting style if you need to hump the rifle around with the bipod attached or not. If you were to use a more conventional weight scope like a leupold or say the 2.5-10x42 NXS you could really shave some weight. The NF Ultralite Unimount will also shave about 3 oz from my ARC M10 mount.

Idaho is correct. I hunt all different styles, vehicles, day hikes and multi day backpack hunts. I'm not concerned about weight for carrying, just legality. I have several scopes to use , 5-25x56 ATACR preferably, 5-20x56 SHV and 3-15x50 NSX .

I've never heard of this before. What would be the purpose of setting a legal limit on the weight of a rifle?

FWIW: I have a 26" heavy barrel on my SRS A1, and with scope, suppressor, and Harris bipod, it's at about 17.5#. For a true hunting application, I would go with something in 22 or 24" and in a sporter-ish profile. Then you should be easily under 16#, even with a suppressor.

Prevent people from using 40lb 50 BMG rifles and trying to make 1500 yd shots at game animals.

I guess... but seems like the ass-hats that would do that would also take 1200 yard shots with their 15# 300 Win mags.
Unfortunately, laws can't force ethics upon those that have none.

Guys,
I really appreciate all of the kind words about my barrels. I am the Director of Match Operations for the National Rifle League, and NRL 22. Then there is my real job and family. Long story short, something has to give. I am handing over all of my DT work to Joe Comfort of DMR Rifles. Him and Dane Miller have been working with me for the last 4 years, so it is the same quality as ever. You can get ahold of Joe here as jfcomfort or email at [email protected]

I'll still be around to talk DT's!

Ty

Guys,
I really appreciate all of the kind words about my barrels. I am the Director of Match Operations for the National Rifle League, and NRL 22. Then there is my real job and family. Long story short, something has to give. I am handing over all of my DT work to Joe Comfort of DMR Rifles. Him and Dane Miller have been working with me for the last 4 years, so it is the same quality as ever. You can get ahold of Joe here as jfcomfort or email at [email protected]

Ty

I'm happy to say I got a couple of your last barrels then! If the new guys were coached by you, then they will do great, and thanks for all you do with the NRL and especially you're real job. Looks like there are now some NRL club matches near me so I'm going to hit those up in 2018, and maybe travel to a couple bigger matches.

I'm happy to say I got a couple of your last barrels then! If the new guys were coached by you, then they will do great, and thanks for all you do with the NRL and especially you're real job. Looks like there are now some NRL club matches near me so I'm going to hit those up in 2018, and maybe travel to a couple bigger matches.

Its the exact same team that it has been for 4 years, and you have been a great dude to deal with. Ill see you at some shoots!

Ty

Guys,

Ty

Guys please feel free to reach out to me anytime with any questions regarding your barrels, or to inquire about a new barrel for your Desert Tech SRS or HTI. We started doing DT barrels because of Tyler and cannot thank him enough for his support. We will continue the barrels by Ty legacy by continuing to provide the best shooting barrels possible!

Anyone running a covert chassis with standard length barrels ? Any effect on balance off a bipod or balance in general? I'm thinking it may be a way to save a small amount of weight and I don't need a mile of rail for a scope and bipod.

There are a huge number of us running covert length guns with long barrels. I've got a 32" 338 Lapua Mag heavy barrel I run on my rifle and it isn't a problem for balance or bipods. I don't do any competition but I shoot with a suppressor so that adds more length and weight. With a standard 26" barrel it doesn't even look odd. Have at it.
With the Covert Chassis you get the ability to run short 16" barrels and any longer length. With the longer setup you're stuck with barrels of 22" or more in order to clear the handguard.

Frank

Thanks for the reply, bare with me guys, I'm going to ask a ton of retarded questions before I spend my money. Outside of this thread I can't find much information .

Yes you can save a little weight with the covert. Plenty of guys hunting with the covert and will steer you in that direction. Wait for Coldbore to chime in. That said, keep in mind the DT SRS will never be a lite rifle, but you can get it down to a little more manageable weight and in turn that heavier balance will aid in confidence on some longer shots. The Covert is going to afford shorter barrels so you’re going to get some non traditional options like 18” 300 WMs. So then not only do you shave weight with shorter barrels you also reduce the felt torque the most which is naturally a benefit of how these bull pups balance. They feel lighter since the weight is closer to your hands and not way out past your arms.

You’re in the right spot to learn everything you want to know about these rifles.

I'm mostly interested in the covert due to the shorter fore end . I don't have any need for a ton of rail . I'm not going to be using a short barrel at all , nor a suppressor. Probably not going to be using a factory barrel either , most likely going to purchase a chassis, bolt ,mag and a custom barrel. Looks like Primal Rights has what I'm looking for, anyone else I should consider?

Was wondering when this was going to happen, my hats off to you Ty and Joe look forward dealing with you, great tubes for sure!

Does anyone have issues with their 10 round short action mags falling out of the rifle? Seems locked in, then after cycling a few shots, it will fall out. Both 10 founders do this, but the 6 rounders are fine. I’m puzzled. Running a 6.5cm, if that makes a difference

Anyone running a covert chassis with standard length barrels ? Any effect on balance off a bipod or balance in general? I'm thinking it may be a way to save a small amount of weight and I don't need a mile of rail for a scope and bipod.

Go to page 329 of this thread, and I have a pic of my 26" .300wm Covert. Due to how the weight is balanced on these rifles, having the bipod up close feels great.

The weight difference is not that much, the real advantage is running the shorter barrels. I hunt with mine, but depending on my quarry I can use the barrel combination that best suits me. I have quite an assortment that go from 16" up to 26".

This is a 16.5" 450Bushmaster, powerful little setup:
28jckl1.jpg

The standard 16" 308Win is also one of my favorites:
fd82eb.jpg

This is my 24" 7SAUM which is possibly my favorite, destroyer of targets:
2m62tub.jpg

This is my 22" 223Rem from SAC, one of my most used barrels:
2ed1rls.jpg

This is a 16" 300BLK also from SAC, very specific use but quite fun all the same:
2eoxkjt.jpg

This is a 26" 260Rem, made my longest kill with this one:
egtriu.jpg

Here is my 26" 6.5CM next to a buddies 22" 308Win SRSA1:
33e7exe.jpg

The 26" barrels work great in the Covert, every barrel has their advantage, but the beauty of the system is the ability to swap them around as you see fit. I chose to go with the Covert because it gives an even broader selection of barrels than the standard SRS. For me, too many advantages to look elsewhere.
fxz2h0.jpg

Reactions: thestacche
Check with the JFComfort (his post is just above yours). I've had a couple barrels from them and they were fantastic, and surprisingly affordable compared to some others.

Anyone running the ES-Tactical barrels?

I have two on order right now so I will let you know in a few weeks after barrel break in and load development. Eric was awesome to deal with and answered all of my pain in the ass questions.
28” creedmoor
and
32” 338 Lapua Magnum

I have two on order right now so I will let you know in a few weeks after barrel break in and load development. Eric was awesome to deal with and answered all of my pain in the ass questions.
28” creedmoor
and
32” 338 Lapua Magnum

I was just eyeing a 6.5 saum barrel on his site. Is there a lot longer lead time on the 32" barrel? I would like to do a straight 1.25" barrel that long.

I was just eyeing a 6.5 saum barrel on his site. Is there a lot longer lead time on the 32" barrel? I would like to do a straight 1.25" barrel that long.

Lead time on that is about 6 weeks, depending on the workload my cerekote guy has. I'm working to update the site, but I'll be adding a custom barrel option that we can do any twist rate and length with some different options for contour.

Lead time on that is about 6 weeks, depending on the workload my cerekote guy has. I'm working to update the site, but I'll be adding a custom barrel option that we can do any twist rate and length with some different options for contour.

Sounds good

ES Tactical is spinning me up a 300 NM and hopefully will have it by the end of the month, Eric has been great to work with. I will be sure to post up results. I can also recommend SAC and JFComfort as I have barrels from them and they are shooters as well, no complaints!

Think long and hard about a straight tube. I have a 28" 300 Norma 1.25" straight tube and it weighs about 9.5 lbs. All up, it's a 20.5 lb rifle, and it's actually not terrible to shoulder and keep on target. No brake is needed though, since it recoils light enough. However, it's starting to throw off the balance with that much weight out front, and a longer tube with a smaller caliber would throw it off even more. If I had to gauge it, I think the balance compares to a Remington 308 with the 20" tactical barrel. So not bad, but definitely more than we are used to with the DTs.

Think long and hard about a straight tube. I have a 28" 300 Norma 1.25" straight tube and it weighs about 9.5 lbs. All up, it's a 20.5 lb rifle, and it's actually not terrible to shoulder and keep on target. No brake is needed though, since it recoils light enough. However, it's starting to throw off the balance with that much weight out front, and a longer tube with a smaller caliber would throw it off even more. If I had to gauge it, I think the balance compares to a Remington 308 with the 20" tactical barrel. So not bad, but definitely more than we are used to with the DTs.

I should have added that I want to do a 338 in that barrel to help with recoil and staying on target. The saum I want in a standard contour. It was late for me and guess I left that part off.