• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

My SRS with a Proof 6.5 barrel weighs 17lbs 5oz loaded 6 round mag, TBAC Ultra 7, Razor G2 with a Razor Red Dot mounted 12 o'clock in a Spuhr 4802, and Atlas PSR bipods. The tennon on it is an inch longer than standard barrels and can be cut off to reduce weight making it a 25" barrel. If you're shooting a 30 cal, that will reduce a little bit more weight compared to the .264 cal, and you can remove the monopod and that will reduce the weight by a lb or so. I have not done this only read a few talk about it here. A lighter scope will help a lot as well.

As far as the safety, the old gens had an exaggerated bump, to the new safety's aren't really flat as they have a slight bump on it.

I like the monopod. It’s nice for the bench or prone, and I have taken it off the chassis when I wanted to lose some weight for hunting.

The early A1 safeties were knurled, but flat. They are pretty difficult to switch position in the cold with gloves on. I haven’t made the call yet, but I need to reach out to Desert Tech to get a different one with the ramp, or I may jerry rig something.

How to remove the handguard? That’s a little tricky. Depending on your version, it comes off in a few different ways. The old A1 and Gen 2 have a screw on top of the handguard where it meets the chassis, and once you remove the screw, I think with some torque it simply unthreads. The newer A1 doesn’t have the screw but has a thin castle nut inside the handguard that you unscrew then turn the handguard until it unthreads. In order to know how your specific handguard comes off you really have to pull the barrel and with a flashlight, look right down the handguard to see how it attaches.

Flat safety on an early SRS-A1.

image.jpg

I assume there's a special tool for the castle nut ? How does one get their hands on the tool , from the manufacturer ?

From what I've gathered, there are very few of them out in the wild. You can call DT direct (801-975-7272 ext 151) to talk with their warranty tech about ordering one.

I assume there's a special tool for the castle nut ? How does one get their hands on the tool , from the manufacturer ?

Yes desert tech and I believe josh at PVA also sells the tool. It’ll require a little elbow grease from what I’ve heard but it’ll come off.

I’m also curious guys about fluting the tennis area. Any more thoughts on this? Thanks

I’m also curious guys about fluting the tenon area. Any more thoughts on this? Thanks

I don’t buy it. The shop referenced are real shooters and if this was an issue you would hear about it by now on this thread and it wouldn’t be common practice. By doing this you introduced peaks and valleys, but you still have plenty of peaks to clamp/torque down to.
But I’m not a machinist.
I wouldnt hesitate to buy a barrel with a fluted tenon; and those spiral fluted ones look sweet.

I'd avoid fluting the tenon. I believe it was done as a one off for someone then became a warranty issue for that owner. It screwed up something in the receiver that had to be fixed. That was from what I read when snipershide was jumping back from the previous versions. Just not something to play with.

Checked out the PVA site and it looks like they offer a tool for the barrel extension but there's no mention of a tool for the hand guard.

Anyone here have one they would loan or rent before I contact DT ?

Does anyone use a 28" or 30" length barrel in their covert? If so, can you post a quick pic so I can see how it looks? Thanks.

Does anyone use a 28" or 30" length barrel in their covert? If so, can you post a quick pic so I can see how it looks? Thanks.

A page back I posted a pic of my old Covert, and barrel + blended brake measures 29”. Should give you a good idea.

I have a 32" 338 Lapua Mag barrel in my covert...don't think I have any pics yet but I'll try to get some. It doesn't look bad. Works fantastic.

I think the issue with fluting the barrel tenon is that the receiver is aluminum and with the heat, shock and vibration of shooting it will wear into the grooves on the barrel. This may create issues with removal and installation of the barrels, especially those without fluting in those locations. You are basically pinching the receiver down against the barrel in this area so think about what happens as the two parts work against each other.

Frank

I have a 32" 338 Lapua Mag barrel in my covert...don't think I have any pics yet but I'll try to get some. It doesn't look bad. Works fantastic.

I think the issue with fluting the barrel tenon is that the receiver is aluminum and with the heat, shock and vibration of shooting it will wear into the grooves on the barrel. This may create issues with removal and installation of the barrels, especially those without fluting in those locations. You are basically pinching the receiver down against the barrel in this area so think about what happens as the two parts work against each other.

Frank

Do you happen to reload for your 32” 338LM?
I ask because I just got a 32” barrel in 338LM and would be interested in some reference points.
What bullets are you using?
What powders you have tried?
What velocities you are seeing?
During barrel break in last weekend I loaded up some cheaper 230gr ELD with H1000 and saw 3200fps for 97.0gr. Not sure if Retumbo would run faster velocities with a longer barrel?
I do plan on trying the 285gr and 300gr bullets after breakin.
Thanks

Last edited:
Does the monopod really weigh 1 lb or close to? Anyone have a weight on this? That is a significant weight savings if one needed to drop some weight on the rifle. After that, your best bet is to go with a skinny profile, and keep in mind the DT barrel is as stiff as a barrel about 4-5" shorter due to all the tennon support. I agree that fluting the tennon is asking for trouble. All your clamping force is being concentrated on the peaks of those flutes, and aluminum is softer than steel....

I’ve heard the monopod referenced as being ~1lb and after seeing the threaded hole in the receiver for it, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Also, I agree with the thought that fluting a tenon is bad, but find it odd that SAC would do it if it was a problem.

Thanks for the info 4.6 oz is a weight savings but not near a lb!

I’ve seen the SAC flutes and they report no issues but it sounds like there have been some. I think if one beveled the flutes so they are not sharp at the edges then they might be problem free, but I’m just theorizing.

Thanks for the info 4.6 oz is a weight savings but not near a lb!

I’ve seen the SAC flutes and they report no issues but it sounds like there have been some. I think if one beveled the flutes so they are not sharp at the edges then they might be problem free, but I’m just theorizing.
I don't see anybody reporting problems. It just seems like there's a lot of speculation.

I sold it a year or so ago.
ETA: found an old picture and zoomed in; DTA.

Interesting... were you the original owner?

DTA posted twice (way back) in this thread stating all coverts are genII with SRS in the serial #. Could it have been an SRS with the covert upgrade that was offered to genI owners shortly after the covert was released?

Interesting... were you the original owner?

DTA posted twice (way back) in this thread stating all coverts are genII with SRS in the serial #. Could it have been an SRS with the covert upgrade that was offered to genI owners shortly after the covert was released?

This?

KZguOjn.jpg

Not directly from that post, but there have been very similar posts made on this site as well. Such as:

"All Coverts are Gen II guns, unless it was converted from an older SRS... the SRS covert upgrade comes with tool to changeout hand-guard, you still need a vice to hold the receiver but it provides the same tools we use in our assembly process. We do listen all of your requests guys so keep em coming."

Attachments

• 1 Barrel.jpg
    1 Barrel.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 60
  • gunsmith blank.jpg
    gunsmith blank.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: 1badbarrel
I’m a proud DT owner today, my mag release lever was worn and it started rattling. I never had a mag issue it always did it’s job but the pin became worn over time. I posted my issue to a FB group. DT employees seen my post and reached out to me right away, I called them after the request and they sent out warranty parts that day!

I know the company has had some challenges with the MDR release, but I’ll be damned they are still very appreciative of their SRS owners! I’m a really happy guy, the customer service I received from Warranty and Q.C guys was above top notch! They call and leave their cell numbers if you need any help after hours, I was blown away.

Thanks DT!

I’m a proud DT owner today, my mag release lever was worn and it started rattling. I never had a mag issue it always did it’s job but the pin became worn over time. I posted my issue to a FB group. DT employees seen my post and reached out to me right away, I called them after the request and they sent out warranty parts that day!

I know the company has had some challenges with the MDR release, but I’ll be damned they are still very appreciative of their SRS owners! I’m a really happy guy, the customer service I received from Warranty and Q.C guys was above top notch! They call and leave their cell numbers if you need any help after hours, I was blown away.

Thanks DT!

Very happy to hear this. I also had a great experience with their warranty department about a year ago.

I've also had great experiences with their employees helping me with questions, to the point of calling me while they were out hunting. Great guys!

sOdDD0Kl.jpg

Finished the single shot adapter. Added an over insertion tab and a few other little things. If anyone would like the STL file to print their own, I'm offering it to you for free. I use a .2mm layer height and 15-20% infill. Haven't seen the need for anything more detailed or more dense. If someone doesn't have a 3D printer and would like one, I'll drop one in the mail for $10. Hit me up sometime next week when I finally catch up.

Last edited:
I saw that picture and thought that was an updated mag for a minute. The mags suck compared to AI