• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Ordered an SRS-A1 with Proof barrel in 6.5 from Special Purpose Rifles. Arrives friday. Cannot wait!

Ordered an SRS-A1 with Proof barrel in 6.5 from Special Purpose Rifles. Arrives friday. Cannot wait!
I have had mine for the past 4 months, put 622 rounds through it so far. Load development was like reading tea leaves. Had about 4-5 nodes all with 0.3-0.4gr spreads and all were 1/2 MOA at 200 or better. Final load had an ES of 14 from 50 rounds and largest group was .4 MOA at 100 with called shots.

Shot this 5 shot group today thru my new 20" TS Customs 6.5cm barrel during load work up.
IMG_20180426_130244700.jpg

Finally got to put my DT 338 to use! We shot various ranged targets out to 2km.
The Desert Tech ran like a champ here at Gunsite. Had one double feed out of 230+ rounds, but think that may have been user error. I'm very happy with it and their Trasol ballistics app's performance!
1.6km/1 Mile shots were straight forward. Winds were very erratic later in the days so once the Dust Devils kept showing up every 30 seconds, hitting past 1.5km was pure luck with the multi directional wind calls.

I used AB, Trasol, Strelok Pro, Hornady, and a Nomad with Field Firing Solutions ballistics software. My favorite and most accurate was Trasol. FFS would be amazing on a smart phone, but until then, Trasol was spot on and so easy/quick to use. Just wish it had a logging feature, well actually a lot of the features FFS had.

Here's some pics. Oh, the developers for the new Call of Duty game showed up in 2 stretch limos while we were there to get some trigger time. My SendIt's liquid level shattered, the digital part still works fine.

I can't wait to get a 556, 308, and 6.5 conversion now in Covert. Is it practical having a 6.5 16" barrel, or should they be longer?

Attachments

• 20180423_110635.jpg
    20180423_110635.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 153
  • 20180425_172514.jpg
    20180425_172514.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 20180424_080800.jpg
    20180424_080800.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 176
  • 20180424_204911.jpg
    20180424_204911.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 20180425_113151.jpg
    20180425_113151.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 20180425_114548.jpg
    20180425_114548.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 20180424_204027.jpg
    20180424_204027.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 20180423_110007.jpg
    20180423_110007.jpg
    913.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 20180425_141437.jpg
    20180425_141437.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 123
Serious,

What bolt handle are you using and where can I pick one up.

Thanks.

Serious,

What bolt handle are you using and where can I pick one up.

Thanks.

Steven Wiley on the Desert Tech Rifle Shooters Facebook group page makes them for $25 shipped. I have an extra gloss black if you want it for $20 shipped.

Where did you get that cheekrest pad?

Www.hopticusa.com they just came out right before my class started. Same place I got the aluminum bullet quiver.

Question for the reloaders. Anyone have a good starting point for an accurate as possible ELR 338 round? Next time I want to be shooting better stuff than factory Prime ammo.

Steven Wiley on the Desert Tech Rifle Shooters Facebook group page makes them for $25 shipped. I have an extra gloss black if you want it for $20 shipped.

Www.hopticusa.com they just came out right before my class started. Same place I got the aluminum bullet quiver.
THANKS

Reactions: Sericus
Question for the reloaders. Anyone have a good starting point for an accurate as possible ELR 338 round? Next time I want to be shooting better stuff than factory Prime ammo.

Depends on what .338? I have load data for .338 Norma

Sir,
I will take the knob. I sent you an PM Thanks

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Desert Tech Solutions ? I do not have Facebook

Thank you Frank that is for Desert Tech but I am looking for Desert Tech Solution. Thanks

I would like to hear from someone shooting a DTA SRS in .300 Norma Magnum. Tried some search with no success...
Having 2 barrels spun up now. Give me a couple of weeks and I will report back.

I would like to hear from someone shooting a DTA SRS in .300 Norma Magnum. Tried some search with no success...

What do you want to hear? I have been shooting a TS Customs 28" 300 Norma barrel in my Covert for a little while. I use an Ultra 9 with that barrel and recoil is pretty manageable. Here's a couple groups from load work up. I ended up with this load: 86.5 grains of Retumbo using 225 eld-m's. These are both 5 shot groups on 1" dia. dots.
IMG_20180427_102637929.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I was interested in how recoil was and who made the barrel, how long was the barrel you shoot and so on so you pretty much answered already. Is DTA providing extensions?

If anyone is interested in a larger bolt knob. I have one from Phoenix Custom Rifles that was $40. I'll sell this one for $30 shipped. Here's a pic to show the size difference from the DT bolt knob.

....and gone!

Attachments

• 20180501_200234.jpg
    20180501_200234.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 90
  • unnamed (2).png
    unnamed (2).png
    183.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Thanks guys, I was interested in how recoil was and who made the barrel, how long was the barrel you shoot and so on so you pretty much answered already. Is DTA providing extensions?
Recoil on these guns in general is very mild for all calibers. I have a 338LM in a 32” barrel and it has less recoil than a typical hunting rifle chambered in 308W. I have shot 100 rounds in one day without any pain or discomfort afterwards. A can or break also help a ton along with the added weight.

Reactions: gnatmm
I’m having SAC make me barrels in 308 and 300 Norma

That is a Revic PMR428
How do you like the scope? I have 6 of them and am liking them a lot. FYI - A 200 yard zero works best for the ballistic calculations.

How do you like the scope? I have 6 of them and am liking them a lot. FYI - A 200 yard zero works best for the ballistic calculations.

Electronics aside.....it is a very nice scope. Great clarity, elegant design, great turrets, zero adjustment is simple, etc. and then you throw the electronics on top and it's damn fine piece of kit. Frank is trying to get a group buy going with Revic. If, when, he does I will pick up another.

I did read from Revic that 200 yard zero is best, but thanks for mentioning that. Old habits and all.

Reactions: Jeffd
Electronics aside.....it is a very nice scope. Great clarity, elegant design, great turrets, zero adjustment is simple, etc. and then you throw the electronics on top and it's damn fine piece of kit. Frank is trying to get a group buy going with Revic. If, when, he does I will pick up another.

I did read from Revic that 200 yard zero is best, but thanks for mentioning that. Old habits and all.
Yes - I understand. All my other scopes are zeroed at 100

I just picked up a new barrel in 284 Win and I'm having trouble getting it to feed from the mag. I'm using a 300/338 magazine and the bullet tip is hitting the base of the barrel.

I'm thinking that bending the mag lips up a bit might help, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this before I risk ruining a mag.

Thoughts?

I just picked up a new barrel in 284 Win and I'm having trouble getting it to feed from the mag. I'm using a 300/338 magazine and the bullet tip is hitting the base of the barrel.

I'm thinking that bending the mag lips up a bit might help, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this before I risk ruining a mag.

Thoughts?

I bought a little tool from HS Precision to open up and bend mags. I used it for my 6.5SAUM it works perfectly ! Bend away, you can always bend it back

Hey guys, I received my rifle from SAC this week! Absolutely in love with the rifle. .300 win mag installed currently. Ran 80 rounds through her today. Groups at best 1 MOA. I was shooting off of a bench with 40 mph wind or more. Was being pushed around by the wind sitting down, shoulda gone to the ground. New rifle to me, still getting used to the trigger and I hope to get more rounds down range soon. I want those groups to be tighter. I was really surprised how quiet my ultra 9 was with the .300 win. Man, what a great can! Quick questions for y’all, how long till you saw break in take effect on your barrels? What has been your real world experience with POI shift on the thunder beast cans? Pictures are from SAC, they know how to make a rifle and show it off. Super happy with their service as well. It makes me happy and my wallet sad knowing they aren’t too far from where I live.
EAF05310-8950-45F3-8D1D-61513545061D.png
8780453A-6CF8-402D-A5FE-EA145A58BBDE.png
E0C9D468-9B35-4C12-AB0F-D217E814BF26.png

i fired the first 5 shots with my new barrel and it shot clover leafs no bs .
the only thing i saw after a 100 or so rounds was the velocity increased . other than that very consistent with all 3 of my barrels

Reactions: Jeffd
Hey guys, I received my rifle from SAC this week! Absolutely in love with the rifle. .300 win mag installed currently. Ran 80 rounds through her today. Groups at best 1 MOA. I was shooting off of a bench with 40 mph wind or more. Was being pushed around by the wind sitting down, shoulda gone to the ground. New rifle to me, still getting used to the trigger and I hope to get more rounds down range soon. I want those groups to be tighter. I was really surprised how quiet my ultra 9 was with the .300 win. Man, what a great can! Quick questions for y’all, how long till you saw break in take effect on your barrels? What has been your real world experience with POI shift on the thunder beast cans? Pictures are from SAC, they know how to make a rifle and show it off. Super happy with their service as well. It makes me happy and my wallet sad knowing they aren’t too far from where I live. View attachment 6900875View attachment 6900876View attachment 6900877
Looks badass,so jealous you got yours already. I'm still waiting on my barrel from them before I can join the ranks. Got them to do a 16.75 308 on my covert. Next barrel up will def be a 300 wm when and if I ever get pulled for an elk tag.

i fired the first 5 shots with my new barrel and it shot clover leafs no bs .
the only thing i saw after a 100 or so rounds was the velocity increased . other than that very consistent with all 3 of my barrels

Sir,
Which barrel did you get?

This is a very uneducated question since I'm contemplating getting a DT SRS A1. How do you all like the trigger on yours?

If you follow orkan's guide to adjust the trigger it is an awesome trigger. That was one of my big concerns before spending the money and now I have an srs and a covert.

If you follow orkan's guide to adjust the trigger it is an awesome trigger. That was one of my big concerns before spending the money and now I have an srs and a covert.
Any chance you could link that? I've pretty much convinced myself to cancel my Nucleus pre-order and save for a Desert Tech. I'd love a link so I can bookmark it for when I finally get mine.