• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Very interested to see if there would be any problems with doing this. This would be an awesome way to get into a 375

This is just an idea at this point. I’m sure there will be several people that will chime in and say the SRS chassis accepts a 1.25” barrel and the 375 CT requires a 1.4” or whatever diameter the HTI’s use. Or did DT have to design the HTI for the 50 cal, and the 375 could work with a 1.25” barrel diameter? I haven’t spoken with anyone who would know yet, because this is in the idea stage.

Id like to know that too but it would make sense that the HTI uses a larger barrel profile otherwise what would be the point of the HTI if its barrels fitted the SRS.

Id like to know that too but it would make sense that the HTI uses a larger barrel profile otherwise what would be the point of the HTI if its barrels fitted the SRS.
416 rigby and 505 Gibbs are a lot similar then a 50 bmg or the 416 barrett. Pinhead is on to something here. I mean to say is the lapua case is not too much smaller than the cheytac vs a lapua case to a 50bmg.

Where's the one from the original pic - standing on the table? Looks very cool.

This is just an idea at this point. I’m sure there will be several people that will chime in and say the SRS chassis accepts a 1.25” barrel and the 375 CT requires a 1.4” or whatever diameter the HTI’s use. Or did DT have to design the HTI for the 50 cal, and the 375 could work with a 1.25” barrel diameter? I haven’t spoken with anyone who would know yet, because this is in the idea stage.

I don't know if DT Had to design for the use of the larger barrel but I can tell you that there won't be much room in the 1.25" barrel for a 50 BMG chamber. I don't think I'd want the 375 CT in the smaller dia barrel either. Its not a lot more powerful than the 338 LM but its enough. The case is also enough longer that it won't fit in the magazine so you're limited there too. I think they designed the HTI to be a larger version of the SRS because its a good design but it needed to be bigger all around for the larger and more powerful cartridges. The whole thing needed more weight too for the recoil of the larger rounds.

Frank

I have had a DT covert for a couple of years now but only have one barrel. I have been considering several things but was curious what everyone's experience has been with Ackley Improved cartridges. Very little body taper and sharp shoulders... Do they feed alright or does that create problems with this platform?

I have had a DT covert for a couple of years now but only have one barrel. I have been considering several things but was curious what everyone's experience has been with Ackley Improved cartridges. Very little body taper and sharp shoulders... Do they feed alright or does that create problems with this platform?

ive heard of people running 338lm AI in the DT with no issues ,
i would put it down to Certain Cartridges will run better then the other .
i know Orkan has a few wildcats he should chime in

Wanted to give a big shout out to Greg, Josh and Chris over at Primal Rights as well as Travis at TS Customs for helping me put together my 1st DT. After 2 years of off and on phone calls with Greg I finally made the plunge. Had to sell 2 custom rifles and an extra scope to make this dream a reality.
This will be my go to hunting and match rifle hopefully for a long time!

Specs:
SRS A1 Chassis - Full Cerakote job
Chambered in 7 LRM, 22", 1-8 twist, spiral fluted, timed TBAC Brake
34mm Hawkins Scope rings
Tangent Theta 5-25 Gen 2XR
I just picked it up late last Thursday, and on inspection, it has beat all my expectations. Spent most of the day Saturday prepping brass, finding lands and loading for powder test. Planning to build loads for both 180 Berger Hybrids and 195 Berger EOL's.
I did mange to send 5 rounds in the back yard at 80 yards just to get the scope on paper. Very impressed with how soft the 7 LRM recoil is. I cannot wait to get it to the range in the next couple of weeks.
I cannot say enough on how Greg and his team went the extra mile for me, he earned my business through his willingness to listen to my needs, telling me truth (not just what he thinks I wanted to hear) and sharing his knowledge.
Thanks guys to a job well done.

I post up some groups soon as I have load built.

I don't know if DT Had to design for the use of the larger barrel but I can tell you that there won't be much room in the 1.25" barrel for a 50 BMG chamber. I don't think I'd want the 375 CT in the smaller dia barrel either. Its not a lot more powerful than the 338 LM but its enough. The case is also enough longer that it won't fit in the magazine so you're limited there too. I think they designed the HTI to be a larger version of the SRS because its a good design but it needed to be bigger all around for the larger and more powerful cartridges. The whole thing needed more weight too for the recoil of the larger rounds.

Frank

Respectfully, no one is talking about putting a 50 BMG in an SRS. I was simply stating from a ground-up design aspect, the SRS was designed around the 338 Lapua Mag, and all other "lesser" calibers should work just fine.
I assumed the HTI was designed around the .50 Cal, and again, all lesser calibers would work.

However, my main question was about whether or not a 375 Cheytac would work in a 1.25" diameter chamber that the SRS uses. I haven't talked to anyone seriously about this, just throwing out an idea. I think the feedback so far and looking around on the web is that its marginal, so with the bullpup configuration, having something marginal right next to your face may not be the greatest idea.

Also, this would be a single feed; the 375 CT case is too long to fit in the 338 LM magazine.

Respectfully, no one is talking about putting a 50 BMG in an SRS. I was simply stating from a ground-up design aspect, the SRS was designed around the 338 Lapua Mag, and all other "lesser" calibers should work just fine.
I assumed the HTI was designed around the .50 Cal, and again, all lesser calibers would work.

However, my main question was about whether or not a 375 Cheytac would work in a 1.25" diameter chamber that the SRS uses. I haven't talked to anyone seriously about this, just throwing out an idea. I think the feedback so far and looking around on the web is that its marginal, so with the bullpup configuration, having something marginal right next to your face may not be the greatest idea.

Also, this would be a single feed; the 375 CT case is too long to fit in the 338 LM magazine.

I think it would be worth trying to ask David Tubb what diameter barrel he runs in his rifle platform.

Does anyone have an HTI barrel and can measure the tenon diameter? 1.4? 1.6? Again, I assume the tenon diameter was designed for the 50, and the 375 CT may not require the same. Just like the 338 LM works with a 1.25" in the SRS, but a 260 Remington can use a 1.15" or 1.2" in a standard rifle.

I've got a 375 CT HTI barrel down in the shop so I can measure the diameters of the barrel and chamber and post later tonight.

Pinhead,
I didn't think you were trying to put a 50 cal in the SRS size platform, just pointing out that there wouldn't be room. Sorry if I made it sound like I was making fun. Not intended that way. I'll get some measurements posted and we can see if the 375 is too big too.

Frank

OK, here is the info on the HTI 375 CT barrel. The breech end of the extension is 1.615" in diameter and the chamber opening is .640" diameter.

Frank

How did the testing turn out?

We really need a Desert tech sub forum on here. Too many good topics get lost in this mega thread.

I'm developing an expanding 200gr. Maker REX Subsonic load for the DTS 16" .308 barrel with Josh at copper creek. I have 10 trial loads in hand, 5 of each and I plan on shooting over my magneto speed for Velocity and SD. Ill also post bullseye cam photos with spread evaluation at 100 yards.
Let me know if anyone is interested in my results.
View attachment 6882773

Reactions: Farmerbrown32
I've run mine about 500 rounds at this point, with a little lube on the bolt and a bit of grease on the lugs, it seems very smooth - not AI/custom smooth but very smooth. I've heard that the micro slick will do wonders for the smoothness but I haven't tried one or seen the need for it yet. There is also another bolt coating - eludes me at the moment - that is supposed to be the cat's meow. Something new everyday. I suppose I look at the DT as an ultra functional and rock solid platform much like a Glock. Not the smoothest or prettiest but completely acceptable, hyper accurate and reliable.

I've run a few thousand rounds through my SRS over the years and the bolt is really smooth. I use a little grease or oil depending on the season and it helps a bit. I've never been all that concerned about it as long as it works and didn't take too much power to close. So depending on how smooth you think it really needs to be you can grease and wear it in or go to some custom superslick coatings that cost a lot and may not be any better?

Frank

The SRS has been in the back of my mind for at least four years. I still may revisit the idea of owning one some day. Problem is Orkin introduced me to the world of TT. Saving up for my second one. The TT on top of a DT SRS would be a serious combo.
Wanted to give a big shout out to Greg, Josh and Chris over at Primal Rights as well as Travis at TS Customs for helping me put together my 1st DT. After 2 years of off and on phone calls with Greg I finally made the plunge. Had to sell 2 custom rifles and an extra scope to make this dream a reality.

Specs:
34mm Hawkins Scope rings
I just picked it up late last Thursday, and on inspection, it has beat all my expectations. Spent most of the day Saturday prepping brass, finding lands and loading for powder test. Planning to build loads for both 180 Berger Hybrids and 195 Berger EOL's.
I did mange to send 5 rounds in the back yard at 80 yards just to get the scope on paper. Very impressed with how soft the 7 LRM recoil is. I cannot wait to get it to the range in the next couple of weeks.
I cannot say enough on how Greg and his team went the extra mile for me, he earned my business through his willingness to listen to my needs, telling me truth (not just what he thinks I wanted to hear) and sharing his knowledge.

Good god that is freaking nice

Thanks guys. It’s killing me not getting to the range yet! Hopefully I’ll get some rounds down range next weekend, having to work just sucks.

Painless300 , if you decide you need a spare SAC fluted 7 LRM barrel and a pile of brass let me know, I'm going to be going in a different direction soon .

Beautiful rifle by the way .

Specs:
34mm Hawkins Scope rings

Sir which scope mount is that

I am in need of a standard magnum bolt - .540 bolt face for 300 WM, etc. Anyone want to trade your .540 for my standard bolt - .470? I will cover all shipping.

I've got 5 6.5 Creedmoor barrels that I used for testing that I am selling. They are made from Criterion blanks. Each barrel has about 25 rounds through it and all shot approx. .5 MOA using 147gr Factory Hornady ammo. 8 twist.​

1 - 25 inch​
2 - 24 inch​
2 - 22.5 inch​
$750​
srs.jpg

Finally! So comfortable. And now that they have the template you guys are welcome lol I sent them my cheek piece so and they did one hell of a job. Shoutout to Wiebad!
A8BFBF24-F98F-479B-AA8F-C50E01033AFE.jpeg

Last edited:

I found specs on the Tubb gun and he's running a 1.4" tennon

Reactions: pinhead
Did you request a SRS version? Not seeing that option on their site.

Yea you have to call. Mine was the first they’ve ever done so I had to send my cheek piece in. But they should still have the template for it.

Reactions: M77
Let me know if you're done with that fore end you did. It looks sweet.

I'm done with the metal work on the hand guard , but it's not going anywhere. I need to get it coated and it'll be complete .

There seems to be several members interested in the mods I've done to my hand guard , if anyone wants theirs modified I'd be happy to do it .

Does anyone know if the DTA SRS A1 Monopod upgrade kit (found on eurooptic and eBay) work with a Gen 1 SRS? Looking to get the monopod and Buttpad of SRS A1 without buying another chassis.

Last edited:
Just received e-mail from Short Action Customs - left hand .223 conversions are on the way.

Crap - I just told my significant other that I wasn't buying another gun for a while.:)