• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

No mods really. Just an ARCA plate and a Hoptic 2 rd quiver. Barrel was done by DMR rifles. All 4 of the barrels I’ve tried in my A2 have shot incredibly well, with the factory 6.5CM and this 300WM shooting best at 1/2 MOA consistently.

I’ve been really really impressed with the A2.

Give us a heads up on the A2 in terms of bolt smoothness and general running it . More or less same thing ?
Can you feel the lighter bolt throw ?

What a garbage post.
Thank you for your contribution. Mind explaining why?
At risk of derailing the DT thread, ethics play a large role in hunting. Nevermind, shooters, and hunters attacking each other, environmentalist groups that are anti-hunting out of ignorance of conservation, generally are more vocal with the ratification of laws and regulations. Case in point ID hunting laws restrict rifles that are over 18lbs, specifically to restrict hunters from engaging game animals with large-bore rifles from extended ranges. Ethics in hunting play an important role in conservation, whether you agree with it or not.

Only a garbage person would think that not wanting an animal to suffer is a bad thing....

come on dude

surely you’re intelligent enough to see the slippery slope here

Vegans and Greenpeace think all meat eating entails animal suffering.

arguing against hunting at arbitrary yardages is a fools errand.

Pretending you’re better than others because you draw the line at a different place is garbage

It's either some agree with long range hunting and some don't . You don't like it ? Then don't try and push your view on someone doing something perfectly legal and ethical.
This is the problem between "shooter's" always out to flog eachother .

This is America last time I checked and we're allowed to push our views on anyone. Someone doesn't want to listen it's their right. Don't like the truth, I hear Canada is hiring ?‍♂️.

Nice shot

• Haha
Reactions: M77
Give us a heads up on the A2 in terms of bolt smoothness and general running it . More or less same thing ?
Can you feel the lighter bolt throw ?

Back on track a bit, I honestly don’t feel much of a difference between the A1 and A2 bolt, but I also haven’t put them side by side and gone back and forth.

Bolt is less smooth than a nice custom action, but certainly not an issue. Gun runs plenty smooth and fast.

Back on track a bit, I honestly don’t feel much of a difference between the A1 and A2 bolt, but I also haven’t put them side by side and gone back and forth.

Bolt is less smooth than a nice custom action, but certainly not an issue. Gun runs plenty smooth and fast.
good to hear , not really sure how much more the bolt can be smoothed up . once worn in its actually pretty slick .
furthest ive taken game with my 300WM is 650M , hopefully crack the 1000 mark soon

I have the A1A in 308 and 223 both shoot better than me. I am looking at the A2A covert for a short 308. But I haven’t seen one in person. Is it that much better

Unless you are really concerned with weight, I'd get the A1 and save a ton of money

I picked up a used A1 chassis for like $1600 recently. Because I already had a few A2 conversions, I essentially picked up another DT rifle for $1600. If you can find a used A1 at a good price, I strongly suggest you grab it. The only reason I bought an A2 is because I got it new on sale. Both fantastic rifles, and the A2 is excellent, but the A1 is almost the same gun for cheaper.

Get the A1 and save some dough unless you absolutely need to save the 1-2 lbs. Just don’t buy the A2 and put a Gen2 Razor on top of it.
I also couldn’t resist the sales on bare chassis, and I now have two A1’s. The second is a Covert for weight savings, with a Hunter profile 18” 260 barrel and pulled the monopod out of it. I may move some scopes around in the future but it has a LRHS on it now.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Guys, what is a realistic and fair price for a gently used A1 chassis? (Mods, delete if not okay to ask).

I see the guy above found a used one for $1,600. Given that we paid $3,500 for a new chassis that seems like a pretty damn steep reduction.

Guys, what is a realistic and fair price for a gently used A1 chassis? (Mods, delete if not okay to ask).

I see the guy above found a used one for $1,600. Given that we paid $3,500 for a new chassis that seems like a pretty damn steep reduction.
List it with a price you think is fair, keep lowering it until it sells.

Agree. A1 is fine I’ve kept mine. If 2 years ago somebody sold you an A1 at today’s prices youda thought u died and went to heaven. Only difference is today, there’s the temptation of something marginally (albeit significantly) better. If you’re a “latest and greatest” kinda guy, go A2. If you’re a deal/value seeker, A1 and don’t look back

I’ll most likely get an A2 covert to compliment my A1. I absolutely love my A1. Hell, if I find a deal on a A1 covert I may just go that route.

Reactions: PRDRIVER
Desert Tech really screwed us A1 owners with the "36% better at everything" A2 release for way less money! :(

Marginally significantly?

I think it depends on what matters. The weight savings is significant, but in reality, it doesn't affect the performance of the rifle, hence it's only a marginal upgrade. My A1 has barrels from ES Tactical, FireGuyTy (when he was still spinning barrels), and SAC, and a factory barrel or two. I can't tell the difference downrange because they all shoot incredibly well. I don't think going from the A1 to the A2 is going to turn them from 1/2 MOA to 1/4 MOA barrels. For me, there's no reason to go from the A1 to the A2. At least when I went from my Gen 1 to the A1, I got a cheek rest and new index point for the barrel.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
More reasons to own another , maybe one day I'll do the whole lightweight mountain rig thing

People need to keep in mind that the A2 price drop of $700 largely came from no longer including a $365 monopod. If you want a monopod that price drop is in reality only $335 when compared to the previous A1 chassis.

The A2 is lighter than the A1 by a good pound after taking into consideration the deletion of the monopod. If weight is a consideration the A2 is a better choice.

The A2 has a much easier to remove and less expensive hand guard when compared to the A1. It has a great trigger, but lacks some adjustability of the A2. It no longer has an adjustable creep screw or adjustable trigger shoe.

When it comes to an increase in accuracy, my Gen 2 and A1 shot quarter minute groups regularly. I wouldn't be worried about an A1 not being accurate enough.

Bolt lift and throw are indiscernible between an A1 and A2. My A1 has 10k plus rounds on it and it is significantly smoother than any factory A2 or A1 that I have played with.

A few dealers still have a little remaining A1 inventory. I believe we are down to (1) SRS A1 and (2) Covert A1 chassis left on our shelves. When dealers have gone through all their remaining A1 inventory, I personally would not be surprised to see used pricing on the A1 rebound a little.

As for the hunting comments above. Let's not let the ELR hunting ethics questions derail the thread.

come on dude

surely you’re intelligent enough to see the slippery slope here

Vegans and Greenpeace think all meat eating entails animal suffering.

arguing against hunting at arbitrary yardages is a fools errand.

Pretending you’re better than others because you draw the line at a different place is garbage

I'm intelligent enough to realize the I was being critical towards the post of someone that considers an opinion of an individual with ethics in hunting is garbage. It wasn't towards the person that took that specific shot or the circumstances in which that shot was being taken. At no point did I argue semantics or specifics. I'm not pretending to be better than anyone. Having a difference in opinion on ethics and hunting doesn't make me better or worse just means I have a different opinion.

Now saying that someone's opinion is garbage without reasoning just because you disagree is garbage in itself and lacks intelligence. My standards for taking an ethical shot are far beyond any hunters I personally know but I certainly don't belittle them or think less of them as a person but they also aren't critical of the fact that I hold myself to a higher standard. I was simply being critical of someone being critical of what most of us that have ethics would consider a bare minimum standard of an ethical shot.

An open forum is simply the wrong place to be closed minded towards open discussion of applicable topics.

Last edited:
Reactions: SupressYourself
I'm intelligent enough to realize the I was being critical towards the post of someone that considers an opinion of an individual with ethics in hunting is garbage. It wasn't towards the person that took that specific shot or the circumstances in which that shot was being taken. At no point did I argue semantics or specifics. I'm not pretending to be better than anyone. Having a difference in opinion on ethics and hunting doesn't make me better or worse just means I have a different opinion.

Now saying that someone's opinion is garbage without reasoning just because you disagree is garbage in itself and lacks intelligence. My standards for taking an ethical shot are far beyond any hunters I personally know but I certainly don't belittle them or think less of them as a person but they also aren't critical of the fact that I hold myself to a higher standard. I was simply being critical of someone being critical of what most of us that have ethics would consider a bare minimum standard of an ethical shot.

An open forum is simply the wrong place to be closed minded towards open discussion of applicable topics.

Ive tried to stay above the ethics stuff, but this post is ridiculous. “Most of us that have ethics would consider a bare minimum...” Get off your high horse.

Your post essentially says “my ethics are the only correct ethics”. I’ve never once in my life wounded big game and had to track it, let alone lost any game. Save your ivory tower bullshit for your buddies.

Every hunter has to decide for him or herself what they are comfortable with and what is appropriate given the circumstances they are dealing with during their specific hunt. You don’t get to be the arbiter of what is and isn’t ethical for everyone else.

TLDR - Mind your own business and worry about yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: rydah
I agree, you take the shot that your comfortable with...... 1200 yards with a knarly gusting 25 mph wind across a mountain would not be a great scenario for a first round knock down but given circumstances that you are comfortable with, take it. I was a sniper for 5 years and I can assure you that with practice and continual impacts on targets out to range, your confidence/training will pay off as such. Well done and great elk! I’ve got short action customs building a 300prc barrel for my DT a2 now. Will be rocking it soon!
I had SAC do me up a 300 PRC and it’s fantastic.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
I have a custom 300PRC blank being shipped on Monday from Bartlein to SAC. Cant wait for the kit to be done. What barrel specs are you guys running on your 300PRC's?

I did mine as a Proof Research carbon bull barrel chambered by SAC. 1:8 twist. Area419 sidewinder. Love it.

Yes, let’s.

Attachments

• 5B375733-4DA0-4FB8-A1FC-269234D59183.jpeg
    5B375733-4DA0-4FB8-A1FC-269234D59183.jpeg
    316.3 KB · Views: 155
I did mine as a Proof Research carbon bull barrel chambered by SAC. 1:8 twist. Area419 sidewinder. Love it.

I just couldn’t bring myself to pay the $2k for a proof barrel for DT, and I couldn’t find a Proof blank with the correct shank for DT for my smith to put together for me.

ES Tactical has Proof CF barrels for 1100, if I'm not mistaken.
So does Rob st Speciality Purpose Rifles.

I don't see the value in a Proof Barrel for the DT... I did speak to Christiansen Arms, they will be making DT blanks soon

• Wow
So does Rob st Speciality Purpose Rifles.

I don't see the value in a Proof Barrel for the DT... I did speak to Christiansen Arms, they will be making DT blanks soon
Why don't you see the value of a Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel for the DT SRS?
Poor quality of the barrel? Or do you have no use for possible weight reduction?

Why don't you see the value of a Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel for the DT SRS?
Poor quality of the barrel? Or do you have no use for possible weight reduction?
I don't see the value for the weight savings... I have a Proof Barrel and it isn't that much lighter . Looks good.
I would like to try out a Christiansen though.
It's like a mountain bike, you can spend thousands to save little... I like Proof, the perfomance has been stellar, same as my DT barrels though. For the weight of the SRS, proof doesn't help that much

If I’m going to be carrying the rifle all day I’d call a pound noticeable. But that depends on the person I guess. Both weights are for a 308 22 inch.
OEM 5.2 lbs
Proof 3.9 lbs

I agree with that. I'd be running a 16" 6.5 Creedmoor from a Covert if I were to carry one all day.. 1 pound is a lot, but if I were a betting man, the majority of DT owners are lugging around their guns much.. I'd venture to say I could get a steel barrel, to 3.9 pounds.. it would be a pencil barrel though

Yes, the DT 18" 6.5 CM Hunter barrel, is lighter than the Proof of the same length, however, the rigidity is going to be vastly different. When you look at similar contour profiles of the Proof, the weight savings are significant. My 26" 308 straight contour to 1" at the muzzle weighs 116.9 oz and the 26" 6.5 CM Proof 0.9" at the muzzle weighs 72.3 oz. Though, I would say the harmonics of the Proof are better than the steel barrel of a similar profile.

Reactions: rydah and LeadZeke
You are missing the point of the proof barrel.
Nope, not missing, I think you missed it. Most guys aren't lugging their SRS all around, therefore the Proof wouldn't be worth the extra money... if you are going to hike , hunt etc., then it would make more sense.

Yes, the DT 18" 6.5 CM Hunter barrel, is lighter than the Proof of the same length, however, the rigidity is going to be vastly different. When you look at similar contour profiles of the Proof, the weight savings are significant. My 26" 308 straight contour to 1" at the muzzle weighs 116.9 oz and the 26" 6.5 CM Proof 0.9" at the muzzle weighs 72.3 oz. Though, I would say the harmonics of the Proof are better than the steel barrel of a similar profile.
My next buy will be the covert! How does the 18 inch creed shoot in the hunter!?

How long is the hand guard on the SRS? There is a 16.75” 223 conversion for sale and it got me thinking about the minimum length barrel a regular SRS could fit with the muzzle sticking out of the hand guard.

The A2 6.5 Creed hunter barrel 24” weighs 3.55lbs. It weighs less than the 22” A2 Creed barrel which i think was 3.9lbs if I remember correctly.

Im curious what a 6.5 Creed 16.5” proof would weigh in at...

Just passed week six waiting on my ES Tactical 6.5 CM and the SRS chassis. Scope has finally arrived and now I’m going crazy. We’re having a bit of an Indian Summer go on here and would love to get a shot down range before the place gets cold.

So ready to get this thing put together and running.

Can’t wait!

Reactions: bigwatchpilot