Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

srt-4_uk

Private
Belligerents
Aug 6, 2011
Nebraska
No kidding. I want to sell my A1 but the A2 release really hurt the A1 owners resale value! My A1 fully loaded with Gen 2 Razor, NO suppressor, (419 brake), slim 7saum barrel and covert handguard is still around 18#. I hiked with it through Colorado for nearly 40 miles over 7 days. Not an easy task but it can be done with a good pack. I am looking for lighter alternatives. I suppose a Carbon Fiber barrel and lighter scope could shave 5# or so off.
You are saving a pound going to the A2 chassis. Pull the monopod from your A1 for more weight removal.

Reactions: Edgecrusher

panhndl

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 10, 2009
Guymon, OK
www.hitchok.com
I just saw a 10% coupon from ES Tactical on their site, but I could not figure out how to use it. It says barrels and conversion kits but couldn’t use it in the checkout. Would make a conversion kit as low as about $988 and a barrel/extension $608 for button rifled barrels. Hell of a deal.

Reactions: bigwatchpilot

bigwatchpilot

Captain
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2012
Memphis, TN
I just saw a 10% coupon from ES Tactical on their site, but I could not figure out how to use it. It says barrels and conversion kits but couldn’t use it in the checkout. Would make a conversion kit as low as about $988 and a barrel/extension $608 for button rifled barrels. Hell of a deal.

I don't see an option for the button rifled barrels as an option for the DTA...

ChadL

Learning.
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Lincoln, NE
I don't see an option for the button rifled barrels as an option for the DTA...

Reactions: bigwatchpilot

bigwatchpilot

Captain
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2012
Memphis, TN
Thank you sir!

Reactions: ChadL

bigwatchpilot

Captain
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2012
Memphis, TN
I think Eric has to do I.T. work at night and I'm sure there is plenty to code to get the details right. It works for some links and some products but not all. I'm sure an email to him will take care of what you want. It works for the cut rifle barrels but does NOT work for the button rifle barrels. He said on his Facebook post the it is NOT valid for PROOF barrels.

estac.jpg

Reactions: panhndl

panhndl

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 10, 2009
Guymon, OK
www.hitchok.com
From Facebook:

Black Friday is almost upon us. We Just received a substantial resupply of barrels from Proof Research and should be able to quickly spin these up into drop in barrels for the Desert Tech SRS and Covert Rifles. Use the code “DTPROOFBBL” to save $200 off each custom Proof Research Desert Tech Barrel ordered. We have new barrel lengths, twist rates, and caliber options available. We also have a few finished barrels that are on the shelf and are ready to ship. If you have been eyeing one of these barrels for your Desert Tech, now is the best time to order one up.

#specialpurposerifles #deserttech #proofresearch #accuracymatters #accurate #longrange #longrangehunting #longrangeshooting #precisionrifle #weightloss #worthit #instock #dontwait #onsale #blackfriday

Reactions: PRDRIVER and rydah

Bradu

Belligerents
Aug 24, 2011
IL
I would like to get one but I don't want to buy anything while in the process of changing jobs. Hopefully we will see this deal again.

ChadL

Learning.
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Lincoln, NE
So how does the SAC 223 conversion work. Will they call and ask for specs on the barrel right before they make it or should I be expecting an email?
i haven’t looked recently, but at one time they had a form on their site that you download and fill out.

M289

Precision Rifle Aficionado
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Europe
I don't know if you guys noticed that SAC is offering 15% off the 223 and 300 blackout conversions. They have a coupon code to enter when checking out.
It would be sweet if some Desert Tech Dealer in Europe started offering these 223 conversion kits.
We miss out on a lot of the good stuff due to ITAR... Or spend insane amounts to get it exported and imported :censored:

dang472

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 3, 2012
Kingston, IL
Question for you guys who recently bought conversion kits from ES Tactical. Did your bolt and mag ship separately from the barrel? I received my bolt, bolt stop, and mag in a small box on Saturday but the barrel was nowhere to be found. I wanted to check if that was normal before bothering Eric or getting ready to fight USPS Monday.

Bradu

Belligerents
Aug 24, 2011
IL
Yes, mine shipped separately. He used usps for the small stuff and I believe fed ex for the barrel.

ChadL

Learning.
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Lincoln, NE
Question for you guys who recently bought conversion kits from ES Tactical. Did your bolt and mag ship separately from the barrel? I received my bolt, bolt stop, and mag in a small box on Saturday but the barrel was nowhere to be found. I wanted to check if that was normal before bothering Eric or getting ready to fight USPS Monday.
Same as someone else said. I received my barrel, and then a few days later the bolt.

Snipe260

Captain
Belligerents
Feb 11, 2017
What are your favorite calibers in covert for hunting and why? I’m looking at 6.5 creed. Your thoughts? Also 18 inch barrel?

panhndl

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 10, 2009
Guymon, OK
www.hitchok.com
So I got the SRS A2 all set up and ready to shoot tonight. 13.1 lbs with an ES Tactical 22.5 CR barrel, and 10 round magazine, without monopod or supressor. Has a Minox ZP5 5-25x56 with an ARC M10 QD-L 40mm high with 30 MOA

I’m not sure I like the length of the 10 round mag and may be willing to trade for a 6 round mag, but I want to shoot it this weekend before deciding.

I like everything but the butt pad attachment. It will probably get less difficult, and I’m still fiddling with the ergonomics. I think also, after I get my forearm wrap on, I may want to trim the hand guard back about an inch or so. I want to shoot it to see how I like the placement of everything before I go chopping, though.

Sunday is supposed to be pretty nice here so I’m hoping I can get some range time in.

Reactions: PRDRIVER

SupressYourself

Hillbilly Intellectual
Belligerents
Mar 26, 2017
Horace, ND
It does kinda sound like headspace is out of whack, although having a bulge on just one side of the brass is very odd...
If you know anyone that has Creedmoor headspace gauges (go, no-go), that would be a good place to start.
Also, if you have the Hornady headspace comparator tool (or similar), measuring the movement of the same spot on the shoulder pre and post firing is more telling than measuring OAL.

Reactions: Edgecrusher

flyright

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
.006 sounds like too much to me. My DT LW barrels don't grow factory brass by more than .001 to .002 max. You'll know when you get the G/NG gauges. That firing pin hole is a little messy too. It will suck to send it in but mistakes happen and DT will take care of it for you.

Reactions: rydah

Bradu

Belligerents
Aug 24, 2011
IL
Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I got my new SRS A2 with a factory 26 inch 6.5 creedmoor barrel and it seems to have headspacing and issues with the bolt/firing pin.

All my fired brass seems to be showing signs of stretching and pre case head seperation?

They have a shiny ring at the bottom of the case and a raised bulge on one side that I’m under the impression is from headspace that’s too long?

Only been firing factory Hornady precision hunter and factory Hornady American gunner through it and has about 30 rounds through it.
I pulled three bullets from the factory ammo and measured the case dimensions before firing and then after and before OAL was around 1.913 and after OAL was 1.922.

Barrel is installed correctly and it holds zero when I remove and reinstall it.

When I install the barrel I insert the barrel, close the bolt, turn the barrel clockwise and then tighten the bolts from front to back with the desert tech torque wrench and then close the barrel lock bolt.

The firing pin hole of the bolt seems
It seems oval in shape and the firing pin strikes are noticeably off centre.

Does all this seem normal or out of spec? Because it doesn’t seem normal to me. Especially not for a tier one rifle but I’m obviously upset so I’m trying to be fair and not overreact and every possible thing that’s wrong. Also two of the three mags I got have bent feed lips and one doesn’t feed, while the other just scratches the brass but that’s less important right now.

I’ve called and left desert tech a msg and emailed them so we will see what they say. I’m in Australia and we don’t have a distributor here, I had to import it myself, so hopefully they still want to help me.

It looks good at least.

View attachment 7195413
View attachment 7195414
View attachment 7195415
View attachment 7195416
That bulge just above the extractor groove shows up in several guns. Measure that on a fired case and again on an unfired case to see how much. If it's a lot of growth, then the chamber might be oversized but it doesn't look too bad in the picture. The case growth with the headspace gauge isn't uncommon. I've seen some new brass in other calibers grow more than that.

Reactions: rydah

flyright

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
,006 seems a bit excessive to me. I"d contact DT about that much of a headspace issue with a factory barrel. That is not the norm.

Snipe260

Captain
Belligerents
Feb 11, 2017
Getting an ars a1 covert chassis. Thinking of going with a 6.5 prc in 18 inch from es tactical. What are your thoughts on this setup and what bolt will I need. Also I’m guessing short action mag ?

Reactions: ChadL

ChadL

Learning.
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Lincoln, NE
Getting an ars a1 covert chassis. Thinking of going with a 6.5 prc in 18 inch from es tactical. What are your thoughts on this setup and what bolt will I need. Also I’m guessing short action mag ?
Will this be primarily for hunting? If it is a hunter it would be great one in my opinion. You'll need the 300wm bolt. If you plan to take it to the range regulary bear in mind your barrel life will be a fair bit shorter than 6.5 creedmoor. Short action mag, yes.

Reactions: Snipe260

Snipe260

Captain
Belligerents
Feb 11, 2017
Would this be primarily for hunting? If it is a hunter it would be great one in my opinion. You'll need the 300wm bolt. If you plan to take it to the range regulary bear in mind your barrel life will be a fair bit shorter than 6.5 creedmoor. Short action mag, yes.
Yes. Mainly for hunting and some long range plinking!

M289

Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Europe
6.5 PRC requires the 300WM Bolt.
According to the SAAMI specifications, the 6.5 PRC cartridge has a max OAL of 2.955". A short action magazine has a maximum OAL of 2.900" and will be too short.

Short Action Customs offer a custom mid-action magazine upgrade.
Also, I read that people had success with the long action magazines. In addition, Desert Tech now offers a 300RUM conversion kit and the 300RUM cartridge does not fit the current long action magazines, maybe they (Desert Tech) also offer a new or special magazine for the 300RUM which would be great for the 6.5/300 PRC cartridges.

PRDRIVER

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Jan 18, 2005
SLC, UT
According to the SAAMI specifications, the 6.5 PRC cartridge has a max OAL of 2.955". A short action magazine has a maximum OAL of 2.900" and will be too short.

Also, I read that people had success with the long action magazines. In addition, Desert Tech now offers a 300RUM conversion kit and the 300RUM cartridge does not fit the current long action magazines, maybe they (Desert Tech) also offer a new or special magazine for the 300RUM which would be great for the 6.5/300 PRC cartridges.

The magazines for the .300 RUM are slightly different than the typical 5 round magnum magazine that has been offered from Desert Tech.

PRDRIVER

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Jan 18, 2005
SLC, UT
We have done a couple 18" PRC barrels for customers. One customer reported 2860 FPS with factory 143 ELD, which is not shabby out of an 18" barrel.

You'll need a .300 WM Bolt and long action magazine. The LA magazine can be finicky. I'm in the process of building up a 22.5" Proof Carbon barreled 6.5PRC for myself and plan on tinkering with the magazines a bit. DT came out with a new mag for the 300 Ultra mag, which I will probably try as well.

Reactions: Snipe260

M289

Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Europe
The magazines for the .300 RUM are slightly different than the typical 5 round magnum magazine that has been offered from Desert Tech.
What's the SKU of that magazine?

I'm only aware of the short action magazine with SKU: DT-SRS-MG-AL and the long action magazine with SKU: DT-SRS-MG-BL.

Snipe260

Captain
Belligerents
Feb 11, 2017
We have done a couple 18" PRC barrels for customers. One customer reported 2860 FPS with factory 143 ELD, which is not shabby out of an 18" barrel.

You'll need a .300 WM Bolt and long action magazine. The LA magazine can be finicky. I'm in the process of building up a 22.5" Proof Carbon barreled 6.5PRC for myself and plan on tinkering with the magazines a bit. DT came out with a new mag for the 300 Ultra mag, which I will probably try as well.
I had been kicking around the idea of a 6.5 creed. The reason now for the pro is it should give me as much velocity in a shorter barrel. That’s why I’m going with covert to keep it short pm me a cost of your barrel in 18 if you will. Thanks I’m prob gonna be shooting 140 Berger elite hunters

PRDRIVER

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Jan 18, 2005
SLC, UT
What's the SKU of that magazine?

I'm only aware of the short action magazine with SKU: DT-SRS-MG-AL and the long action magazine with SKU: DT-SRS-MG-BL.
I have not seen a new part number in the price list, but I have spoken with DT Employees and pulled magazines out of the RUM Conversion kits to check out the differences. The magazine is slightly different than the standard BL magazine.

canezach

House of Chingasos
Belligerents
Apr 18, 2014
Colorado

That's good to know. I like the 300 RUM

65x55guy

Listens to the voices
Hessian
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Arkansas
I’m about to put my A1 chassis up for sale and then get an A2. Let me know if you guys need an extra or know somebody looking to get into the platform. Black/black, standard length forend. If it made a better setup, I could sell it with a .308 conversion.

panhndl

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 10, 2009
Guymon, OK
www.hitchok.com
I did some light range work on the new rifle. 22.5 ES Tac 6.5 CM with a TBAC Ultra 7. Minox ZP5 5-25x56 in an American Rifle Company M10 Q-DL 40 mm high, 30 MOA base.

I bought some cheap Sellier & Bellot ammo to shoot while I break the barrel in. After getting the rifle zeroed at 100 yards, I have 17 Mils of up elevation left on the scope out of 28. I know that the ammo is pretty tame and different ammo will be higher velocity, but that still seems rather middle of my scope for the MOA base and distance.

Am I out of line to think I should have been further down the elevation on my scope?

Thanks!