• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I'm still trying to figure out how to do all the fancy stuff on here. There's a few other hints and tricks I'd like to put in there, i.e. the washer trick for the sticky magazines, etc.

Glad it's useful though. I'll poke around some more and see if I can figure out the "resource" thing.

Update 10/27/2019 - posted in the resources section.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vidar
OK, full confession - pretty new to the precision shooting world, very new to Desert Tech rifles, new to most of this stuff you guys know like the back of your hand. I can shoot OK, but after 275 rounds of chasing groups, I know I'm not just going to watch some YouTube, input some data into the ballistic app, dial up and bang steel @ 1000 yards with any regularity or make regular ragged holes @ 100 yards with my R700 300WM. Very humbling this pursuit is.

So... since I'm broke and love to shoot despite my poverty, I'm trying to build this new SRSA1 (not a Covert) on a semi-budget if I can. Looking at the PX section (anyone know if I can purchase from the PX without the 100 posts thing? The rules say "use the PX", but they only specify posting, so I'm not sure...not wanting to see Ban Kitty) I see used low round DT 308 1:11 22 inch barrels for a real decent price. Looking at the custom barrel makers, I'm seeing prices I can handle, especially applying the buy once cry once theory. Also seeing used bolts and magazines, and wondering if saving on used equipment is worth it. From what I save, there's a scope mount or bipod earned.

What's really got me hung up - is if going with one of the 1:9 twist 22 inch barrels that are available (Hawk Hill DMR, X-Calibur @ ES-Tactical) will be detrimental with wanting to shoot 150-178g projectiles. Or should I stick with a used factory 1:11, or go with the available 1:10 from one of the custom shops? No sub-sonic or suppressors in my immediate future either.

I'm not married to any loads yet, and will be reloading for this. I'm figuring 168-178g most of the time, but 155's might be in there sometimes.

Thanks in advance for anything you can contribute to help me with this decision... 1:9 barrel and is saving on used equipment is worth it? Will be moving to 300WM or PRC in the future as well. That'll be "new only".

Last edited:
I
OK, full confession - pretty new to the precision shooting world, very new to Desert Tech rifles, new to most of this stuff you guys know like the back of your hand. I can shoot OK, but after 275 rounds of chasing groups, I know I'm not just going to watch some YouTube, input some data into the ballistic app, dial up and bang steel @ 1000 yards with any regularity or make regular ragged holes @ 100 yards with my R700 300WM. Very humbling this pursuit is.

So... since I'm broke and love to shoot despite my poverty, I'm trying to build this new SRSA1 (not a Covert) on a semi-budget if I can. Looking at the PX section (anyone know if I can purchase from the PX without the 100 posts thing? The rules say "use the PX", but they only specify posting, so I'm not sure...not wanting to see Ban Kitty) I see used low round DT 308 1:11 22 inch barrels for a real decent price. Looking at the custom barrel makers, I'm seeing prices I can handle, especially applying the buy once cry once theory. Also seeing used bolts and magazines, and wondering if saving on used equipment is worth it. From what I save, there's a scope mount or bipod earned.

What's really got me hung up - is if going with one of the 1:9 twist 22 inch barrels that are available (Hawk Hill DMR, X-Calibur @ ES-Tactical) will be detrimental with wanting to shoot 150-178g projectiles. Or should I stick with a used factory 1:11, or go with the available 1:10 from one of the custom shops? No sub-sonic or suppressors in my immediate future either.

I'm not married to any loads yet, and will be reloading for this. I'm figuring 168-178g most of the time, but 155's might be in there sometimes.

Thanks in advance for anything you can contribute to help me with this decision... 1:9 barrel and is saving on used equipment is worth it? Will be moving to 300WM or PRC in the future as well. That'll be "new only".
i have a 22" factory 308 barrel and it shoots all the weights that you mentioned very well. The factory barrels will shoot just as well as most customs.

Disregard that " Dear Abby" if you haven't already.

Budget build SRS A1:
Wanting opinions on 1:9 vs 1:10 vs 1:11 22" 308 barrels shooting 155-178s.

Same - any qualms using used DT barrels, bolts, magazines?

Last edited:
To answer your PX question, I’m pretty sure buying isn’t a problem. Most sellers might have some reservations about selling to a new member, but you can probably work something out.

I would personally stick to a 1:10 or 1:11 for a 308. My 1:10 shoots the 178 ELDs great and I’ve read the 1:11 will too.

Factory DT parts have a reputation for being quality. They’re in a completely different league than say a Remington R700 factory take off barrel. No hesitation buying a DT barrel or bolt.

Reactions: HiDesertELR
I'd be less worried about twist rates than about quality bullets. If you run a faster than normal twist rate you won't kill your accuracy unless you use crappy bullets. Many in the ELR game are going to much faster twist rates than normal. The biggest problem with running the faster twist is that it can make little problems with the bullets show up bigger. Variations in jacket thickness that change the balance, incomplete core filling and things like that will affect the flight worse when you spin them faster. Some bullets will come apart if you spin too fast. Bullet manufacturing now is much better than it was 40 years ago so its less of a problem now. I think the slower twist rates in use now are more tradition than necessity.

I know guys running 308 bore rifles with 6 in twist rates and they're still shooting tiny groups with a variety of bullets. They all use high quality target grade bullets though, no varmint poppers or cheap seconds. I'm finishing up a 300PRC barrel for a customer with an 8" twist. His previous barrel choice was the 300 norma mag with a 7 in twist. That one shot fantastic even with light for the cal 175gr bullets and the PRC should too. A 308 with the same twsit won't spin the bullets as fast and should be fine even with the same twist rates. Do a search for Hyperstabilization. Its some interesting reading.

Frank

To answer your PX question, I’m pretty sure buying isn’t a problem. Most sellers might have some reservations about selling to a new member, but you can probably work something out.

I would personally stick to a 1:10 or 1:11 for a 308. My 1:10 shoots the 178 ELDs great and I’ve read the 1:11 will too.

Factory DT parts have a reputation for being quality. They’re in a completely different league than say a Remington R700 factory take off barrel. No hesitation buying a DT barrel or bolt.

I'd be less worried about twist rates than about quality bullets. If you run a faster than normal twist rate you won't kill your accuracy unless you use crappy bullets. Many in the ELR game are going to much faster twist rates than normal. The biggest problem with running the faster twist is that it can make little problems with the bullets show up bigger. Variations in jacket thickness that change the balance, incomplete core filling and things like that will affect the flight worse when you spin them faster. Some bullets will come apart if you spin too fast. Bullet manufacturing now is much better than it was 40 years ago so its less of a problem now. I think the slower twist rates in use now are more tradition than necessity.

I know guys running 308 bore rifles with 6 in twist rates and they're still shooting tiny groups with a variety of bullets. They all use high quality target grade bullets though, no varmint poppers or cheap seconds. I'm finishing up a 300PRC barrel for a customer with an 8" twist. His previous barrel choice was the 300 norma mag with a 7 in twist. That one shot fantastic even with light for the cal 175gr bullets and the PRC should too. A 308 with the same twsit won't spin the bullets as fast and should be fine even with the same twist rates. Do a search for Hyperstabilization. Its some interesting reading.

Frank
Thank you guys, that helps a lot. I tend to build swiss army knives - they have to do everything, or so I think. I do suffer from analysis paralysis, especially when it's a significant outlay of cash. Which is why my FFL tells me to stay off the internet and get my own DOPE ;) Having this site and it's resources excluded of course!

And no TULA or Wolf or WWB going down-range, I've watched too many at the range have their problems with those things. 155 Scenars, Hornady 168-178 ELDM's most likely.

Leaning towards ES-Tactical conversion kit with their sale going on right now, brand new gear for a tiny bit more than used? No-brainer.

is anyone aware of a backpack style pack that will fully encompass a covert w/ 16.5 bbl w/ brake?

hazard 4 takedown works.

My SRS A-1 Covert has a TBAC muzzle brake and it fits cleanly in the H-4 TD bag with ONLY the recoil pad installed, NO SPACERS ADDED. With 1 spacer added it is tight.

It is a sling-type bag, not a backpack, though.

I recently acquired a used DT SRS and need to run a QD muzzle brake for my can. It's of course threaded 5/8x24. Can the factory barrels be turned down from their 3/4x24 thread pitch or is the adapter, that DT recommends, sufficient? A little concerned about running an adapter and then a QD muzzle brake on that. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

I recently acquired a used DT SRS and need to run a QD muzzle brake for my can. It's of course threaded 5/8x24. Can the factory barrels be turned down from their 3/4x24 thread pitch or is the adapter, that DT recommends, sufficient? A little concerned about running an adapter and then a QD muzzle brake on that. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
Look on page 146 - bookmark #'s 7288 & 7292 for the turning down question.

Last edited:
Reactions: BravoSector1
I highly recommend ES tactical for rethreads.

Recent ES Tactical pick up, a 22.5” 1:8 6.5cm shooting 130 Berger vld’s. Really happy with this tube so far. Regular sub 1/4 minute groups @100y and 200m, taking it out to 500 today.

Attachments

• 0B952D64-881F-497D-90A5-E22B3F4F8C82.jpeg
    0B952D64-881F-497D-90A5-E22B3F4F8C82.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 44D91ED7-FF6C-4AD2-A773-E8B7ABC85CFC.jpeg
    44D91ED7-FF6C-4AD2-A773-E8B7ABC85CFC.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 3FE52E04-C0BF-47C1-9A0A-1D718BA003B3.jpeg
    3FE52E04-C0BF-47C1-9A0A-1D718BA003B3.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 121
Recent ES Tactical pick up, a 22.5” 1:8 6.5cm shooting 130 Berger vld’s. Really happy with this tube so far. Regular sub 1/4 minute groups @100y and 200m, taking it out to 500 today.
Very nice!
Was that a K&P barrel or other?

Anyone know where I can get or have a magnum bolt I can buy? I’ve got a 300 prc barrel coming.

Post on the PX WTB a DTA 338 Lapua Bolt. You can get a deal there. Ther was one person selling one with mag

Anyone here using a straight contour barrel for their SRS A1? Looking at selecting a contour and placing this order, just wondering what the experts here had to say about it. Eric says it'll add 1.5-2lbs roughly, and I don't plan on carrying it around a whole lot, but... would a palma or heavy palma contour be a better all-around choice - balance of weight, etc? Looking at the 22" 308, no suppressor (until I move back to America)

Last edited:
I have a 26" .308 1.250"x7", straight contour to 1.00" at the muzzle, weighs 7.3lbs, my 28" 6.5CM Med Palma from ES Tactical weighs 5.1lbs, my 26" Proof Reseach 6.5CM straight contour to 0.90" at the muzzle weighs 4.5lbs.
If you want to estimate barrel weights, check out Lilja Barrel Excel sheets here. Both the straight taper and contour barrel Excel sheets are pretty accurate, +/-0.1lbs from the 2 steel barrels I have.

sixstrings101, why is that?

Once my .308 and 6.5 28" is shout out, I plan on doing a .308 22.5" and a 28" 6.5CM both in a 1.045" straight contour from Eric.

I have a 26" .308 1.250"x7", straight contour to 1.00" at the muzzle, weighs 7.3lbs, my 28" 6.5CM Med Palma from ES Tactical weighs 5.1lbs, my 26" Proof Reseach 6.5CM straight contour to 0.90" at the muzzle weighs 4.5lbs.
If you want to estimate barrel weights, check out Lilja Barrel Excel sheets here. Both the straight taper and contour barrel Excel sheets are pretty accurate, +/-0.1lbs from the 2 steel barrels I have.

sixstrings101, why is that?

Once my .308 and 6.5 28" is shout out, I plan on doing a .308 22.5" and a 28" 6.5CM both in a 1.045" straight contour from Eric.
Awesome info and feedback, thank you!
I wouldnt go straight contour.
I'm curious too - besides the extra weight, is there some other factor that I'm overlooking? Eric @ ES-Tactical told me today that 60-70% of the barrels they do are straight contour, which surprised me to be honest. He said they balance well, and don't walk shots, which is what I'm looking for (all the help I can get ;))

Reactions: secondofangle2
Did a small amount of "research," seems like the only advantage that a Palma profile has over a straight contour is staying within weight limits classified for competitions and fitting in stocks with little or no modifications. I can understand bull barrels having the potential to cause issues with traditional receivers such as the R700 creating too much tension at the receiver from being front heavy. However with the DT chassis, that is a non-issue, more than likely a non-issue with traditional receivers as well. Barrel harmonics with a bull barrel are going to be dampened considerably more so than a Light Palma profile. As long as weight is not an issue, why not have a bull barrel. If Eric Smith offered a 1.250" straight barrel as a standard option, it would honestly be my go-to barrel profile for competitive use.
My Proof barrel was difficult to find a load only because my 0.3 gr increment 3 round groups (modified Satterlee test) were all very similar in size, and had to rely purely on MV data to find the optimal node.

Reactions: HiDesertELR
Im just not a fan of making the rifle super heavy. I have a 308 straight that is fluted and its a hammer but damn its a bummer to walk around with it. Granted it helps with recoil on larger rounds. Depends if the rifle is going to be a benchish gun or a walk around and shoot gun.

New SRS A2 owner here. Any issue with running the gun without the trigger weight adjustment screw? I only have a few threads screwed in right now, so I'm concerned it'll eventually fall out (even though I did apply blue Loctite). Trigger went from 2.5 lbs new to 1 3/4 lbs, but without the screw the weight is about the same. Also, I lubricated the trigger bar and all creep went away.

Im just not a fan of making the rifle super heavy. I have a 308 straight that is fluted and its a hammer but damn its a bummer to walk around with it. Granted it helps with recoil on larger rounds. Depends if the rifle is going to be a benchish gun or a walk around and shoot gun.
Thanks for the feedback - are you using a 22 or 26" barrel? Just curious. Weight is an abstract concept until you're actually carrying it, I get that. I'm not expecting a system that weighs in at 11 pounds bare to compare to the carbon stock and barrel UL mountain rifles out there, but I'm not looking to build a boat anchor either. Probably going with a TAB biathlon sling for carry.

I'm going to try and run down the specs on all the different barrel contours, use that Lilja weight calculator, and see what's what. Will post results.

1236 yards? I hope that's typo. If not, ok, at the risk of derailing this entire thread, I'll be "that guy". That's not "hunting". I don't care how much you practice and how awesome your rifle is. At that range, the slightest environmental miscalculation results in a wounded and lost animal. You owe them more than that.
Nice rifle though.

1236 yards? I hope that's typo. If not, ok, at the risk of derailing this entire thread, I'll be "that guy". That's not "hunting". I don't care how much you practice and how awesome your rifle is. At that range, the slightest environmental miscalculation results in a wounded and lost animal. You owe them more than that.
Nice rifle though.

I get it. To each their own on that and this is about the absolute outside range I’d be willing to shoot and certainly not on smaller game. I’m very confident in my shooting abilities and my rifle and he fell dead right there.

Nice shooting! Yes, Dane is the man. He has spun up some amazing tack drivers! +1 for DMR Rifles.

What's your rifle weighing in at?

Reactions: Andielouroo
fantastic Bull you got there , shit loads of meat too .
looks like a well placed shot ? congrats .
out of curiosity what did you dial for the shot ?

fantastic Bull you got there , shit loads of meat too .
looks like a well placed shot ? congrats .
out of curiosity what did you dial for the shot ?

215 Berger at 2800 fps, 1236 yards, 10,000 ft elevation, 16* down angle - 9.1 mils elevation, 1 mil wind.

I think rifle as it sits weighs in at around 11-12 lbs.

Reactions: waveslayer
I get it. To each their own on that and this is about the absolute outside range I’d be willing to shoot and certainly not on smaller game. I’m very confident in my shooting abilities and my rifle and he fell dead right there.

Suppress Yourself should consider doing just that.

We all have different morals and we are bound to none but our own. We are universally bound by the law. There is no law concerning maximal range and suppress yourself is not the arbiter of "ethical hunting" practices or anything else.

Dismount from your high horse for a moment, and consider the many things that you do (surely there are some) that some may consider immoral.

My wager is we wouldn't have to follow you around with a drone for very long before we witnessed the hypocrisy that confirms the suspicions of a "Holier than Thou" disposition that you have engendered with your comments.

I agree, you take the shot that your comfortable with...... 1200 yards with a knarly gusting 25 mph wind across a mountain would not be a great scenario for a first round knock down but given circumstances that you are comfortable with, take it. I was a sniper for 5 years and I can assure you that with practice and continual impacts on targets out to range, your confidence/training will pay off as such. Well done and great elk! I’ve got short action customs building a 300prc barrel for my DT a2 now. Will be rocking it soon!

Reactions: Blueoval56
I agree, you take the shot that your comfortable with...... 1200 yards with a knarly gusting 25 mph wind across a mountain would not be a great scenario for a first round knock down but given circumstances that you are comfortable with, take it. I was a sniper for 5 years and I can assure you that with practice and continual impacts on targets out to range, your confidence/training will pay off as such. Well done and great elk! I’ve got short action customs building a 300prc barrel for my DT a2 now. Will be rocking it soon!

You will love the 300 PRC. I had DMR spin me up a barrel, damn tack driver. I would be interested in seeing your load data...

Suppress Yourself should consider doing just that.

We all have different morals and we are bound to none but our own. We are universally bound by the law. There is no law concerning maximal range and suppress yourself is not the arbiter of "ethical hunting" practices or anything else.

Dismount from your high horse for a moment, and consider the many things that you do (surely there are some) that some may consider immoral.

My wager is we wouldn't have to follow you around with a drone for very long before we witnessed the hypocrisy that confirms the suspicions of a "Holier than Thou" disposition that you have engendered with your comments.

I'm not seeing the part in my comment where I appointed myself as "morality king" as you seem to suggest I did. All I said is that's not "hunting", because it's not. "Hunting" would be using your super ninja skills to cut that distance in half or more where you could take a shot that couldn't be completely botched by mistimed gust of wind.
A living animal is not a piece of steel. From some rough calculations, that bullet took almost 1.9 seconds to get there. Even if your calculations and DOPE are perfect, all that elk has to do is take a 1/2 a step during that time, you've now gut-shot it. Personally, I believe that you owe it to the animal to kill them as quickly and cleanly as possible. If that's all it takes to put me on a "high horse", then by all means, get your drone (WTF? lol...) and follow me around.

Last edited:
It's either some agree with long range hunting and some don't . You don't like it ? Then don't try and push your view on someone doing something perfectly legal and ethical.
This is the problem between "shooter's" always out to flog eachother .

shooter. 1 : one that shoots: such as. a : a person who fires a missile-discharging device (such as a rifle or bow) b : the person who is shooting or whose turn it is to shoot.

hunter - a person who hunts game.

sportsman. 1 : a person who engages in sports (such as hunting or fishing) 2 : a person who shows sportsmanship.

sportsmanship: conduct (such as fairness, respect for one's opponent, and graciousness in winning or losing) becoming to one participating in a sport

Took my A2 hunting this week and shot this bull at 1236 yards.

22” barrel chambered in 300wm, by Dane Miller at DMR, shooting a Berger 215 hybrid. It’s an absolute hammer. DMR does fantastic custom work!

View attachment 7181584

View attachment 7181585

View attachment 7181586
What modifications/enhancements were done on your SRS A2? Brag list please ;). And boy oh boy 1236 yards !!! Also, what is your opinion of it for hunting use for Whitetail and other types of deer? Overkill? Accurate to 1 MOA? Been toying with the idea of getting and modding one.

Last edited:
What modifications/enhancements were done on your SRS A2? Brag list please ;). And boy oh boy 1236 yards !!! Also, what is your opinion of it for hunting use for Whitetail and other types of deer? Overkill? Accurate to 1 MOA? Been toying with the idea of getting and modding one.

No mods really. Just an ARCA plate and a Hoptic 2 rd quiver. Barrel was done by DMR rifles. All 4 of the barrels I’ve tried in my A2 have shot incredibly well, with the factory 6.5CM and this 300WM shooting best at 1/2 MOA consistently.

I’ve been really really impressed with the A2.

Reactions: Blueknight99
No mods really. Just an ARCA plate and a Hoptic 2 rd quiver. Barrel was done by DMR rifles. All 4 of the barrels I’ve tried in my A2 have shot incredibly well, with the factory 6.5CM and this 300WM shooting best at 1/2 MOA consistently.

I’ve been really really impressed with the A2.

That's the reason I like the A2, barrels can be swapped easily between the calibers. Looks like you swap between 6.5CM and 300WM on the same rifle.