• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

IDK...this was a picture Eric sent me and was a 'prototype' to cut as much weight as possible. I have 2 barrels on order from him so will need to wait and see. For a hunting set up I'm not thinking about the barrel heating up.

For hunting I think a light barrel like that is great. Yes you're not going to need to do long strings of fire unless you need to spend more time on the practice range because those pesky animals keep getting away. The light hunting profile barrels from Desert Tech open up their groups after 6 to 10 rounds so it wouldn't be a surprise if that light profile did them.

Not likely. They don’t announce changes very often. I think if there was a service where they could mill the A1 chassis to Slice off extra fat to mirror the A2 that would be something but would also cut into A2 sales, so again, not likely.

Sac did this 6.5L in 16”. It’s an absolute hammer. The flutes do not affect the accuracy at all. I’ll get a weight on it when I get off the road Friday.
D6E1F7A4-E440-4B34-A800-FE03E2DAC58C.jpeg
83064B0D-5F3C-496E-B440-FA0EDB9DC213.jpeg

Is anyone running a 18" barrel on a 223 conversion? What kind of velocity would you be looking at with 75ish grain bullets.

Il try and chrono 77s this weekend. This is 18” :

3285 with 53 gr Hornady super performance
3093 with 55 Hornady zmax.

Reactions: BClrh
should have an Expression of interest for some Full length / half rails sections for the "ole " A1 chasis .
never got to buy some from Primal at the time he had them .
would love some alloy ones

Reactions: deersniper
Any rumors of changes to the A2 for shot?

Desert Tech just posted that they are adding some calibers to the SRS-A2. 338 Norma Mag, 300 Norma Mag conversion kits in addition to light weight hunting profile 7mm Remington and 300 Win Mag.

OK Gents, talk me out of this.

I've been staring at DT since 2010. I've got Doctor Money, and no student loans, and committed to an Elk Hunt in CO in October of 2020.

I've shot my Stock Remington 700 ADL in .308 with a Weaver 3-15 (about as cheap a setup as you can get) Sub MOA out to 1k (Thunder Valley precision). It's HIGH TIME for an upgrade.

I'm leaning towards a DTA SRS A2 with 2 barrels; 1 in 6.5 Creedmoor (Practice), 1 in .338 LM (Smacking Elk). Planning on Tripod. Did DT release their ARCA mount yet? Is this nuts; should I just keep swinging away with the .308? Thoughts?

I've been staring at DT since 2010. I've got Doctor Money, and no student loans, and committed to an Elk Hunt in CO in October of 2020.

I've shot my Stock Remington 700 ADL in .308 with a Weaver 3-15 (about as cheap a setup as you can get) Sub MOA out to 1k (Thunder Valley precision). It's HIGH TIME for an upgrade.

I'm leaning towards a DTA SRS A2 with 2 barrels; 1 in 6.5 Creedmoor (Practice), 1 in .338 LM (Smacking Elk). Planning on Tripod. Did DT release their ARCA mount yet? Is this nuts; should I just keep swinging away with the .308? Thoughts?

I have had an A1 for years...just sold it and shipped it off today. I too am planning an Elk hunt and wanted a lighter setup and bought an A2 in November. I ordered 2 barrels...6.5 Creed and 300 PRC from ES Tactical made with Proof Carbon barrels. I did all that on 777 Captain pay...join the club. I still have my 1st rifle...Rem 700 in 308 with my Vortex PST 3-15 on it. I still shoot it now and then. We think just alike, I knew I could have been a Doctor!

i don’t think you will be disappointed with this decision for an A2.

you might consider 300 NM instead of 338. Others here will have better thoughts on elk caliber. Either would be deadly for sure. I also know that DTA just announced 300 WM and 7 WM light profile barrels for hunting. I think that would be excellent, and could keep you lighter on your hunting trip.

Reactions: Snipe260
Not sure what I want to do with this... What's your guys favorite 7mm? May get rid of it to do a 300 Norma instead but I'm not sure.
Snapchat-1291497111.jpg
Snapchat-991603979.jpg

How light can you get a 300 norma on the A2 platform with optics?

Last edited:
How light can you get a 300 norma on the A2 platform with optics?

Hard question to answer...'with optics', is this a dedicated hunting setup? Are you going to run a light weight scope with 1" tube or a 3 lbs Vortex Razor? I know my factory 22" barrels come in around 4.5 lbs...I ordered Proof Barrels and getting a 22" 300 PRC done. Proofs' website has barrel profiles and weights.

I am expecting to cut 1/2-1 lbs from the setup. As stated above, DT is coming out with additional 'hunter' profiles that are lighter or you can order from ES Tac or SAC for a light weight profile in the length you want. I am expecting 10.5 lbs with my ATACR 4-16...fingers crossed. I'll post weights and do a review when the barrels arrive.

At a minimum DT advertises their 'hunter' set up just under 9 lbs. So add your choice of scope/mount, ammo, suppressor, bipod...if you choose.

Last edited:
Yes I have a MPR in 300 Norma & would like to stay as close to the same weight as possible.

I find it odd that a company in the rifle industry isn’t very very specific about the cartridges they plan to offer. 7mm Remington; I assume they are taking about the 7mm Remington Magnum?
Or 7-300 Win Mag, 7-08 Remington, 7mm Remington SAUM, 7mm Remington Ultra Mag? They offered the 7 WSM in the past, are they returning to this?

SRS-A2.JPG

Last edited:
Not sure what I want to do with this... What's your guys favorite 7mm? May get rid of it to do a 300 Norma instead but I'm not sure.

What is the purpose of the barrel? Its hard to tell the profile, but it does have an 8.3' twist; I assume you are going to shoot something like the Berger 195 EOL or Sierra 183/197 Matchkings. If that's the case, and you seem to be interested in the 300 Norma, you could chamber this barrel in a 7-300 Norma, or the 28 Nosler or 7-300 Win Mag (or its variants).[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 65x55guy
If I’ve got an 8.3 twist, I’m shooting 180-195 with a chamber that can push 3000-3100 on the heavies. 28 Nosler fits the bill, as does 7-300 NM. Either would be a lot of fun long range. No idea how a person gets 7-300 brass formed. You can buy the 28 Nosler.

Reactions: jzerfoss
If I’ve got an 8.3 twist, I’m shooting 180-195 with a chamber that can push 3000-3100 on the heavies. 28 Nosler fits the bill, as does 7-300 NM. Either would be a lot of fun long range. No idea how a person gets 7-300 brass formed. You can buy the 28 Nosler.

Nevermind I misread your post. I thought I read that you were shooting the 28 nosler.

What is the purpose of the barrel? Its hard to tell the profile, but it does have an 8.3' twist; I assume you are going to shoot something like the Berger 195 EOL or Sierra 183/197 Matchkings. If that's the case, and you seem to be interested in the 300 Norma, you could chamber this barrel in a 7-300 Norma, or the 28 Nosler or 7-300 Win Mag (or its variants).
[/QUOTE]

Hunting with occasional long-range plinking. I'm not trying to make it super light but the barrel length will be around 24". One thing I would like to have is a barrel that last around a thousand rounds and I'm not sure that a 28 nosler will.

What's your round count so far?

about 200. I shoot 175-180s between 3200-3320 FPS.

edit: don’t shoot the 180 ELDM at this speed with an 8 twist. It tore mine apart. They would land at 500, and at 800 your hits wouldn’t happen. Bullet just fell apart bc the jacket was torn.

about 200. I shoot 175-180s between 3200-3320 FPS.

edit: don’t shoot the 180 ELDM at this speed with an 8 twist. It tore mine apart. They would land at 500, and at 800 your hits wouldn’t happen. Bullet just fell apart bc the jacket was torn.

Dang that's fast! What barrel length and powder?

Anyone know when and where the 7mm RM barrels will be sold? And price?

Factory barrel from DTA...MSRP $1415 (barrel only) I would go custom

ES Tactical can sell you a button rifled barrel for $675 in hunter contour now. $88 for a mag and $335 for a bolt for a total of $1100 for a conversion.

Quality of the barrels is good enough that DT sells a Factory 18" Covert 6.5 Creed barrel...in the description it states 'button rifled from ES Tactical'...buy with confidence.

Quality of the barrels is good enough that DT sells a Factory 18" Covert 6.5 Creed barrel...in the description it states 'button rifled from ES Tactical'...buy with confidence.
Have they always been button rifled? I have an A1 26” 6.5 cm and 16” .308 and they are hammers. I also have a unfired 18” 6.5 I think it might be a A2.

They are smoking crack if they want $1450 for a 7RM barrel if it is button. SAC barrels are $1350 for a guaranteed hammer.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
Have they always been button rifled? I have an A1 26” 6.5 cm and 16” .308 and they are hammers. I also have a unfired 18” 6.5 I think it might be a A2.

They are smoking crack if they want $1450 for a 7RM barrel if it is button. SAC barrels are $1350 for a guaranteed hammer.

ES Tactical made a special buy on a batch of the button rifle barrels from X-Caliber. Limited time and limited options as he’s selling what he has in stock. I think he came on here and let us all know a few months back this was happening and it was a limited run, so get em while you can. You can still get the other barrels if you want, they are just a little more money; Edit To Add- but still one of the better bangs for your buck out there even at the higher price.

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
As far as I know the blanks DT has used to make their barrels have always been button rifled. Cut rifling can't compete for production anymore with prices being much higher due to the labor. On the other hand button rifled barrels have come a long way from WWII and are competing with the best of the cut rifled barrels in competitions. I have no problem buying buttoned blanks to build barrels for these rifles. I've built a lot of barrels using Douglas XX blanks and PacNor match grade and all of them have been outstanding.
At one time the guys at DT told us they were using Lothar Walther blanks and then they switched to something else for a bit and have used a variety of makers but all have been button rifled to the best of my knowledge. In production you need to have supplies that are reliably delivered and for a bit there a few years back wait times were so long that you had to get what you could when you could. I'm definitely not saying they were using cheap crap....just that they couldn't always get any particular brand. I've seen most specialty barrel makers do better than the factory but thats not saying the factory was doing badly. It just means someone who can spend more time with setups and care can do a better job. Volume makes it tough....

Frank