• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Does your rail fit a a1?

The rail I posted will only work on the A2.

We have a rail that will go the length of a Covert A1 Forend, but it does not reflex back over the stock panels like the RRS mount.

img-1983_orig.jpg

Quick poll. I just sold a rifle and have a couple extra dollars. I’m currently using a Harris bipod but have wanted to upgrade for a while. I don’t compete. Just want a better, more flexible platform. I’m looking at an Atlas Cal or a Thunderbeast.

The alternative is that I can buy a nice shooting table as mine is 20+ years old and less than perfect.

Both the Harris and my shooting bench are serviceable. Both could stand to be upgraded.

Quick poll. I just sold a rifle and have a couple extra dollars. I’m currently using a Harris bipod but have wanted to upgrade for a while. I don’t compete. Just want a better, more flexible platform. I’m looking at an Atlas Cal or a Thunderbeast.

The alternative is that I can buy a nice shooting table as mine is 20+ years old and less than perfect.

Both the Harris and my shooting bench are serviceable. Both could stand to be upgraded.

I have both the B&T BT46-LW17 Atlas PRS and BT65-LW17 Atlas CAL gen2 and think the CAL gen2 is a great bipod.
Especially with the new generation of BT23 Ski Feet for shooting on flat surfaces such as a shooting bench or concrete floor (y)

Since I've never messed with an Atlas bipod, it is pretty hard to understand what the advantage of this new bipod will be over the Cal besides being more expensive. I like the Cal's wider footprint than the PSR. I like the no pan feature of the Cal. I dang sure like the less expensive price of the Cal vs PSR and this other one.

Can you elaborate on the expected features of the new bipod? It mentions bigger, but I'm not sure in what way.

It’s a blind pre order. Get on the list and if you don’t like what it turns out to be there’s no obligation

I am very happy with the SAC 223 conversion. This thing is a laser and is going to be perfect for a match trainer and prairie dog slayer! It was only 5 degrees today when I started shooting but no wind. It loved the 55gr VMax and 75ELD loads I already had loaded for my Tikka. Neither load seemed very happy when I mounted the suppressor. I still plan on working these loads up for this barrel after it is broken in. Speeds where oddly the same as my Tikka but that barrel was 24” vs the SAC at 26”. Banging 6” triangles at 400 and 600 yards got very old very fast since I never missed in 15 shots after getting on target. 100-800 is hard to miss with this barrel and after that I’m not sure if they are misses @ 1000yards or just very hard to confirm impacts. Absolutely one of my favorite conversions and wished I had purchased it sooner. Thank you Short Action Customs!!!!
DDDCFB98-B0FA-4BCE-A2A4-68D78A38FB0D.jpeg
4FD70571-ECCD-47D2-B552-0719375EA9BD.jpeg
20B4421E-7CEA-4819-B42C-39147E2760CA.jpeg
29624215-391F-4D84-87E6-34762F939F39.jpeg
BFECD4F1-F122-47BA-A8A0-762F273B15F3.jpeg
011D6D49-8FA5-4EFB-AD5F-23C940293634.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: M289 and panhndl
In the 223 conversion are most guys getting the longer throat option? I would like to load something like the 75 elds for long range shooting, but I was hoping that I would be able to get decent accuracy with a cheap bulk factory ammo for closer range playing around.

In the 223 conversion are most guys getting the longer throat option? I would like to load something like the 75 elds for long range shooting, but I was hoping that I would be able to get decent accuracy with a cheap bulk factory ammo for closer range playing around.
I would suggest the longer throat. It shoots the lighter bullets very well and still gives you the option to run the heavies. I've had outstanding accuracy from 55 and 60 grain bullets with mine.

Reactions: BClrh
Thanks for the video, Juggerxxx. Spent a weekend there in August with my A1. The hook was set!
It’s a very fun place to spend time at especially when their not open and no one else is shooting. There is even a very fun match a 1/4 mile down the road on the property that happens every second Saturday of every month. 10 different stages with most distances between 250-600 yards but there is one stage with 600, 800, 900, 1040, 1220 and 1325 yards. You should check it out.

Mine was chambered for the 75elds but shoots the 55gr very well if not better but we will see after load work up.

Mine was chambered for the 75elds but shoots the 55gr very well if not better but we will see after load work up.
Did you request the chambering for the ELD M 75gr bullets? Or is that the default SAC 223Rem long range chamber?

Did you request the chambering for the ELD M 75gr bullets? Or is that the default SAC 223Rem long range chamber?
They ask you what bullet you will be shooting the most or want it cut for. Then they work their magic for that bullet.

Closing blot before torquing?
Same order tightening bolts?
After going back to my manual, the only thing I wasn't doing was closing the bolt before Locking the barrel. I was closing the bolt after locking the barrel. I was torquing in the same order each time.

I went back through my notes and I'm not as far off as I thought at first glance. I need to shoot some more groups to confirm, but I was switching between the 223 and the 6.5 barrel so I could confirm POI shift between the two. I clearly need to get better at my routine when switching barrels so I do it exactly the same every time.

do people torque the barrel down with the barrel point up or on a bipod prone position?

Does anyone have some inconsistency on zero when switching barrels? I am.
On the same day I have never had this issue. My rifles experience a slight point of impact change on different days especially if the temperature is different.
Here is what I do when changing barrels:
-Rest chassis on butt pad so it is pointing upwards.
-Insert barrel and close appropriate sized bolt into barrel.
-lightly twist barrel counter clockwise until you feel it stop.
-torque the four bolts from top to bottom.
I don’t use the barrel lock.
Do this every time consistently for consistent results.

^ this. Only difference is I torque from butt to muzzle. My zeros are dead on after barrel changes. 16” 308 dead on, 223 1/2” high. 6.5 2” low. Always

Reactions: Edgecrusher
On the same day I have never had this issue. My rifles experience a slight point of impact change on different days especially if the temperature is different.
Here is what I do when changing barrels:
-Rest chassis on butt pad so it is pointing upwards.
-Insert barrel and close appropriate sized bolt into barrel.
-lightly twist barrel counter clockwise until you feel it stop.
-torque the four bolts from top to bottom.
I don’t use the barrel lock.
Do this every time consistently for consistent results.
^ this. Only difference is I torque from butt to muzzle. My zeros are dead on after barrel changes. 16” 308 dead on, 223 1/2” high. 6.5 2” low. Always
Thanks guys. I'll try your method and see how my work goes

Quick shout out to Mark at Short Action Customs. I ordered the 223 conversion during their black Friday sale and that is some of the best money I've spent. I sold my Mk12 Mod 1 last year but kept the Ops Inc. 12th model can that was with it. Mark went out of his way to mill the alignment shoulder into the barrel for a custom solution so that I could use that can on the conversion barrel. I ordered the 26" barrel throated for the heavies.

20191230_140522.jpg
20191230_140603.jpg
20191230_140416.jpg

Quick shout out to Mark at Short Action Customs. I ordered the 223 conversion during their black Friday sale and that is some of the best money I've spent. I sold my Mk12 Mod 1 last year but kept the Ops Inc. 12th model can that was with it. Mark went out of his way to mill the alignment shoulder into the barrel for a custom solution so that I could use that can on the conversion barrel. I ordered the 26" barrel throated for the heavies.

View attachment 7215441View attachment 7215442View attachment 7215443
The level of service is outstanding. Let us know how it shoots and what projectiles it likes.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
I only shot 8 rounds of 223 so far (10 total but 2 were by some kids wanting to shoot my rifle). Federal Gold Medal Berger 73 BT Target

26D152AA-3AD0-4005-957F-96C26374B948.png

This next one is just 3 rounds but you can see where the two kids hit nearby.

C42E80CA-6497-4B3B-8E0D-A9789F90554E.png

I can’t wait to get out a little more and try more ammo.

What's the lightest setup anyone has come up with for hunting with one of these? Any chassis lightening mods, lightest barrel setup? I've done some searching and haven't found much, sorry if it's been discussed before.

Just got this off a fellow Hider. Was all black but I wanted to mix a few colors and see what I could come up with. I call the color "Camel Shit" RAL8000, OD Green, and Veltor Black DuraCoat. Just need a cool case for it now.

Attachments

• IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 187
I've started running my monopod like that for some cals. My 33XC bent the extension rod when the foot stuck. I let the rifle free recoil a bit and it did a job on the thing. I thread out the body about halfway if I have to get some height and can't keep my off hand around the pod. It was a pain to fix as you have to get it straight just to get it apart.....

Works fine for the little stuff like the 338 lapua though....

Frank

Also consider posting a “Want To Buy” post in the Firearms PX section. You may be surprised what people want to sell but are too lazy to post for sale because they kinda want to sell it but kinda wanna keep it.
Or they see the next shiny thing but want to trade or sell something to fund it.

Reactions: rydah
Looking to buy a bullpup curious do you guys notice any more jump in the short bullpup or have trouble seeing hits vs standard setup when shooting or is it better?

A rifle is a rifle. The bullpups don't jump any more or less than other types. With the straight line stock i think its comparable to any other rifle with a straight line stock.
I've had no issues with spotting shots and keeping things lined up. Short or long makes no difference. More technique and training than rifle related in any case.
Frank