• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Perhaps their problems with the federal government could be causing the current issues?

In July 2019, federal prosecutors gave notice that they intend to seize Desert Tech's building, alongside many other Kingston properties, after members of the Kingston family had pled guilty to defrauding the government of $511 million in a federal renewable-fuel tax credits scam.

Perhaps their problems with the federal government could be causing the current issues?

In July 2019, federal prosecutors gave notice that they intend to seize Desert Tech's building, alongside many other Kingston properties, after members of the Kingston family had pled guilty to defrauding the government of $511 million in a federal renewable-fuel tax credits scam.
Ouch!

I bought everything I needed from Special Purpose Rifles and couldn't be happy with the process. I also told me rep at DTA that I wanted to cancel, we will see if I have to do a chargeback or not

Rob with SPR is awesome to deal with.

Reactions: Adam B
For what it's worth, Desert Techs warranty dept is pretty decent right now. Colin called me after I sent them an email and got me taken care of.

With a 22” barrel I’m guessing you will pick up a little more speed. I also have a 22“ barrel but are shooting 140 vld’s and using RL-16 and getting about 2,750 fps. RL-16 would most likely put you over 2,800 if you want more speed, I’ve shot a few 130’s and was at about 2825.

Im hoping for at least 2800 but 2850-2900 would better just not sure about hot rodding it that much. I have enough 130’s and H4350 to burn out this barrel so I’ll have to take what I can get with that combo. Shoots great with the 130’s though.

I’m also waiting on some stuff from DT for about 6-7 weeks now, barrel and bolt. Not sure how much longer I want to wait.

Im hoping for at least 2800 but 2850-2900 would better just not sure about hot rodding it that much. I have enough 130’s and H4350 to burn out this barrel so I’ll have to take what I can get with that combo. Shoots great with the 130’s though.

I’m also waiting on some stuff from DT for about 6-7 weeks now, barrel and bolt. Not sure how much longer I want to wait.
Hopefully you get that kind of speed. I also have a custom 6.5 comp rifle with chamber cut for the 130 vld’s and using H4350 I’m at 2925 fps, using RL 16 at 3009 fps with the same accuracy. This is a 26” barrel. On the 22.5” DT rifle I’ll live with the slower speed, it’s really accurate and was purposely put together for plinking and hunting out to about 600 yards which velocity wise is about the limit for the bullet expansion and energy needed. I have other rifles better suited for longer range. Now I shoot the 22.5” out to 1250 yds, on steel, consistent hits out to 750 and past that depends on my ability to read the wind and that’s about 50/50.

Does anyone have a lead on a full length A2 handguard? I can’t seem to find one in stock anywhere. I found a Covert SRSA2 but was planning on buying the covert length handguard later and am looking for the full length now. That, or if anyone wants to trade covert for full length, let me know.

ask sac about building you a 204, they are building me a barrel in 17 tactical for predator hunting, I sent them 3 dummy rounds to see if they would feed through their 223 magazine, it worked fine , and now are building me one, might send them some dummy rounds and see if they can make it work

ask sac about building you a 204, they are building me a barrel in 17 tactical for predator hunting, I sent them 3 dummy rounds to see if they would feed through their 223 magazine, it worked fine , and now are building me one, might send them some dummy rounds and see if they can make it work

Oh sweet. A 17 would be awesome too. I just find myself enjoying varmint hunting far more than anything else. I'd love a fast little small bore slinger for this covert. Thanks for the heads up brotha

Oh sweet. A 17 would be awesome too. I just find myself enjoying varmint hunting far more than anything else. I'd love a fast little small bore slinger for this covert. Thanks for the heads up brotha
Now you’ve got me thinking about a 223AI barrel from SAC. My 6.5 CM hasn’t even come in from them yet.

• Haha
Reactions: sixpack340
I wanna keep it at 16" though as I love the compactness of the covert. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm gonna have to research the effects on velocity of the 204 in a 16" barrel. I want a real fast little lead slinger but I want it no longer than 16" as well.

I saw a study where you lose about 50 fps per every inch removed.
You can get it pretty fast if you are willing to sacrifice throat life. I asked SAC to leave the shank long on my 6.5 barrel so I could push the 130 VLDs faster from an 18 inch barrel and just set it back after every few thousand rounds, rather than have to get a new barrel every time.

At this point I have an SRS A2 chassis (covert), a TS customs 26” fluted no taper 6.5cm barrel, and one standard SA mag. I seem to have called everyone under the sun but nobody has a .308 SA bolt and stop, or a standard length A2 mlok handguard. Unconfirmed but it looks like DT is 12+weeks on wait time from what I’m being told. I wish I had a bolt so I could mount a scope and shoot this thing.

Reactions: bachelorjack
At this point I have an SRS A2 chassis (covert), a TS customs 26” fluted no taper 6.5cm barrel, and one standard SA mag. I seem to have called everyone under the sun but nobody has a .308 SA bolt and stop, or a standard length A2 mlok handguard. Unconfirmed but it looks like DT is 12+weeks on wait time from what I’m being told. I wish I had a bolt so I could mount a scope and shoot this thing.
I sent you a message. Have a full A2 conversion with the parts you need....

Small world when you know each other in real life already...

Last edited:
Reactions: Keens
Finally in the club. Received the bolt today due to @bachelorjack coming in clutch with the Monday delivery. Zero and test fire at the range and absolutely love it. Boringly accurate.

SRS-A2 Covert
Razor G2 4.5-27 w/Sphur 4002
TS Customs 26” fluted “truck axle”
Factory Hornady 140ELD at 2831avg. That’s nuts.
DDC08F87-5CFC-4295-BB4F-A852A54D556D.jpeg

If I get an A2, those are the rails to use. Look wonderful.

Sawtooth sure did hustle to get the product out before RRS could make one that fits all the way to trigger guard like they did for the A1.

Sorry if it’s been mentioned before but does anyone know if the monopods are compatible between the A1 and A2 chassis? i.e. can you remove one from an A1 chassis and put it into an A2?

Quick question does anyone know if Rock Creek offer Desert Tech contoured blanks?

Here’s one for you long time A1 owners- my first experience shooting a DT was an A1 and I was surprised at how good the trigger was. This particular example was heavily used, so I’m sure the wear contributed. Am I the only one that thinks the A2 trigger isn’t (nearly) as good? Adjusting down as light as it will go without the set screw falling out, I am still at 2.5 lbs+ on a gauge from the bottom of the bar. Significant over-travel which I personally do not like. For some perspective, my old Ruger RPR stock trigger is lighter, has less overall travel and creep. Any thoughts/solutions? Anyone doing trigger work or is it even possible?

In all fairness I haven't handled one but it doesn't sound like an improvement I would like for my style of shooting. I was wondering if maybe they had to change the trigger due to military contract requirements and decide to do all their new rifles.

It is a simpler design than the A1 and they claim it to be more reliable. Being that it isn’t as intricate, I’d be really interested in getting trigger work done if one of the DT supporting smiths here would start offering a package. I’m not in a position to tear it apart and try anything myself.

Reactions: Badfinger
Does anyone use their Desert Tech in PRS matches? The only real downside i can see is the magazines and shooting support side. I do really like how the rifle handles and balances for off hand shooting. And that you can run a 26-28" barrel with little downside. Tossing up between a used A1 or a new A2. I like that the A2 is MLock but people seem to prefer the A1 trigger? Plus i can get a complete A1 used for around the same price as an A2 chassis.

Cheers

Does anyone use their Desert Tech in PRS matches? The only real downside i can see is the magazines and shooting support side. I do really like how the rifle handles and balances for off hand shooting. And that you can run a 26-28" barrel with little downside. Tossing up between a used A1 or a new A2. I like that the A2 is MLock but people seem to prefer the A1 trigger? Plus i can get a complete A1 used for around the same price as an A2 chassis.

Cheers
Started using mine early last year in matches and maybe have 12 matches under my belt. Never did any positional PRS style matches with a traditional rifle so I can not compare. I very much like the SRS for matches, decent balance after adding weight and a longer barrel, easy to get in and out of ladders and barricades, very accurate and I feel very comfortable 90% of the time behind it in most positions. Drawbacks would be; I wish I could get the trigger pull down to way less than a pound and the bullpup bolt throw gets in the way of a tripod if you are using one for rear support.
8BDAF01B-BED3-49DB-BC4A-1AC7A459303C.jpeg

Started using mine early last year in matches and maybe have 12 matches under my belt. Never did any positional PRS style matches with a traditional rifle so I can not compare. I very much like the SRS for matches, decent balance after adding weight and a longer barrel, easy to get in and out of ladders and barricades, very accurate and I feel very comfortable 90% of the time behind it in most positions. Drawbacks would be; I wish I could get the trigger pull down to way less than a pound and the bullpup bolt throw gets in the way of a tripod if you are using one for rear support. View attachment 7318917
Are you running the 10 round mags? and what length barrel? Did you modify the MDT mlock weights to suit the A1 rail? And what caliber do you shoot in matches?

All matches so far have been with a 28” 6.5CM barrel. Last month was the first time using the suppressor on the 6.5. Even did one match with the 26” 223 conversion shooting 75elds. It did very well at distances less than 800 yards but struggled with getting the spinner to move and the longer distances out to 1325 yards. Running the 10 round mags with zero issue and using a homemade quiver for the 12 round stages. Next month I will be using the 338LM barrel for the Nightforce ELR match. Had to drill one extra hole and countersink in order to use MDT weights. Also had to mill the lump off the back that fits into the mlok slot. The A1 mounting holes are 1” apart. The next barrel I get will still be 28” long but will be either 1” diameter or 1.25” diameter at the muzzle. I very much like the heavy rig for stability and recoil management to see impacts and misses. Hell my suppressor even weighs 2lbs.