Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

biffj

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 23, 2010
east central indiana
I built a 33XC barrel for my SRS a little over a year ago and have shot it quite a lot. Yes, it will eject a live round no problem. The 33XC won't mag feed which for me isn't a problem. I tend to single feed most of the time anyway. The 33XC is long enough and big enough that it single feeds very well with just an empty mag in place. I have a block type feed sled made by a friend to single feed everything else.

I set the 33XC up to run the copper solids so its not taking bullets away from my 338 Lapua Mag which I'm definitely not getting rid of. They both have their uses. The barrel is 32" long and quite heavy and has been really good for getting way out there. 2600 yds so far. I've run the 338 LM out to 2000yds but the when we did that shoot the targets stopped there. Last year they went to 2700 on that range but I didn't have time to get the 338 out.

If you're thinking of a long range round for your DT the 33 or 37XC would be good choices. Neither will mag feed so keep that in mind. They will work well in the platform however and there is brass available too. Graf and Sons now has 33XC brass in stock so you don't have to deal with Tubb. I've had no problems with Tubb myself but he is no charmer and I have some customers who refuse to deal with him. As far as I know he is the only source for dies.

Hope that helps

Frank

Reactions: Kenny Blankenship

Butler12

Private
Belligerents
Aug 28, 2014
Just wondering if you can use a heavy varmint barrel blank with a 5 " 1.250 tenon to make a Desert tech
Barrel?

biffj

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 23, 2010
east central indiana
The barrel extension uses up .845" of the blank end so you will have a pretty short shank if you start with only 5". Also the barrel needs to be 1.250" diameter plus zero and minus only .001". If its any smaller the clamps will have some issues returning to size for properly sized barrels. A lot of blanks will need material removed from the diameter to make sure the bore is concentric with the outer surface. Keep this in mind. I've never used a Proof Research blank so I have no idea on them.
Last, if your barrel grip surface is an inch short the front clamp bolt might distort the receiver making it tough to remove your barrel or to fit any others. If you have a short barrel like that don't use the front clamp or any that are unsupported.

Just things to keep in mind. I always buy oversized blanks to insure I can keep the bore and barrel concentric. It makes life a lot easier with keeping all your barrels within minor adjustments on the scope when you change them.

Frank

Reactions: BClrh and 65x55guy

jzerfoss

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2019
WV and VA
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a hold of @ES-Tactical . Any other good affordable smiths that specialize in DTA barrels? I would go SAC but unfortunately they are out of my budget at the moment.

goosed

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
May 11, 2014
MN
Those 2 are on my radar. I'm seeing who all(gunsmith wise) is out there just in case I'm forgetting one or don't know about one.
Go into the resources section(LINK) of SH there is a list of all known DTA barrel makers and vendors with links in the Desert Tech topic

tcamel4

Private
Belligerents
Aug 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
@GMZ how is your SAC 223 bolt ejecting? My bolt fails to eject a case every 3rd round or so... still love shooting it but that sure makes it not as enjoyable having to pull a case out of bolt slide area that often.

cro789

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 20, 2008
tn
tcamel4 I was running into the same problem and found crud under the extractor. You might check that. Once cleaned no more problems

GMZ

Retired
Belligerents
Mar 15, 2007
PNW
@GMZ how is your SAC 223 bolt ejecting? My bolt fails to eject a case every 3rd round or so... still love shooting it but that sure makes it not as enjoyable having to pull a case out of bolt slide area that often.
I had some erratic ejection for the first few mags. Some rounds would eject and bounce off my hand back into the action, some would just dribble out. Chalked it up to new gun and new SRS shooter. By the time I was done with the box of ammo it was gtg. Gave it a good cleaning and will be mindful next time out, seems to like being run hard.

tcamel4

Private
Belligerents
Aug 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
tcamel4 I was running into the same problem and found crud under the extractor. You might check that. Once cleaned no more problems
So pull the ejector pin and clean underneath it? Frank said the same thing for my 308 bolt.

Or did you mean the ejector claw underneath

Fishkat

Aka Fishcricket
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Birmingham, Alabama
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a hold of @ES-Tactical . Any other good affordable smiths that specialize in DTA barrels? I would go SAC but unfortunately they are out of my budget at the moment.
FYI, I called Eric last Thursday and talked with him about some details on the barrel I was getting ready to order. So he is around, remember he doesn’t work Wednesday or the weekend.
Good luck, as already mentioned there are a number of good smith’s that can spin up a barrel for you.

GMZ

Retired
Belligerents
Mar 15, 2007
PNW
For you guys with 22” barrels where does the shoulder sit in relation to the end of the handguard distance wise?

My Sandman suppressor has some overhang of the shoulder of about .050

goosed

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
May 11, 2014
MN
For you guys with 22” barrels where does the shoulder sit in relation to the end of the handguard distance wise?

Most are 22.5" barrels and that gives you roughly a half inch to work with.

You can always run something like the area 419 brake/suppressor adapters to get you another half inch or so if needed.

ChadL

Learning.
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Lincoln, NE

I’ll go measure in a bit, but I’d say 1/2 inch or so past the handguard.

Reactions: GMZ

1badbarrel

Dt srs wa
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Wet side wa
Lol. Pics are kinda big. Gmz I’ll send ya a pm. Anyways I thought there were no shooting/parking signs at the gates up there cause of stay at home orders. Idk. I got more targets to pack up there and shoot.

Keens

Private
Belligerents
Feb 4, 2014
South Carolina
Hi All,

Newbie into the SRS platform, looking to purchase my first chassis and off-load a few bolt rifles I don’t shoot anymore. Long time SH lurker, rarely post. I’m excited to jump into this next “stage” of versatility and capability with the platform:giggle:

Always happy to hear any initial “need to know” information as I read through this entire thread and catch up on the knowledge. Thanks!

Tack425

Sergeant
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Apr 19, 2011
California
Welcome buddy. There is a lot of information and I continue to learn volumes on this thread. I don't know if you have seen this but some great information all in one spot: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/resources/desert-tech-srs-hti-covert-hunter-resource.27/

Hi All,

Newbie into the SRS platform, looking to purchase my first chassis and off-load a few bolt rifles I don’t shoot anymore. Long time SH lurker, rarely post. I’m excited to jump into this next “stage” of versatility and capability with the platform:giggle:

Always happy to hear any initial “need to know” information as I read through this entire thread and catch up on the knowledge. Thanks!

Reactions: Edgecrusher

M77

Private
Belligerents
Oct 17, 2012
Australia
M77

That’s a first !
I’ve not seen a vertical grip on a DT before.
Does that work well for you?
The main purpose I've got it on there is for Service rifle competition , mainly for Hawkins position . But in saying that I have used it when taking a shot in the car on game

ChadL

Learning.
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Lincoln, NE
Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the ES tactical button rifles barrels? How has the performance been?
I received one about a month ago in 25 creedmoor. I’m still developing a load but so far the accuracy has been excellent. I have a cut barrel from Eric as well (difference chambering of course). I would have zero reservations buying another button barrel from Eric.

If for some reason you want a barrel over 26” in length you’ll have to get a cut rifle barrel.

Keens

Private
Belligerents
Feb 4, 2014
South Carolina
I received one about a month ago in 25 creedmoor. I’m still developing a load but so far the accuracy has been excellent. I have a cut barrel from Eric as well (difference chambering of course). I would have zero reservations buying another button barrel from Eric.

If for some reason you want a barrel over 26” in length you’ll have to get a cut rifle barrel.
I appreciate the feedback. I plan on starting off with 3 calibers and wanted one of them to be in a “burner” barrel as to not wear out something more expensive to replace. I plan on putting some time into the platform as I’d like to compete with it in 2021. It’s looking like a 20” 308 (button rifled) a 26” 6 CM and an TBD length 300NM. A friend with the platform is pushing me to SAC and I’ve only read good things... however having a CF option for the 2021 season seems appealing. How does the platform feel balance-wise with a Proof barrel compared to a standard med. Palma in comparable length?

ChadL

Learning.
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Lincoln, NE
I’ve never had a proof barrel in mine so I can’t comment on the balance. I’ve been tempted on several occasions to order one, but it would literally just be for coolness factor.
SAC makes awesome barrels too. I’ve always had great interactions with the SAC crew. I have a 308 barrel from them. I had a 300 Norma barrel from them at one time, but sold that barrel though.

Eric does very nice work and is a really good dude. 6cm would be a great candidate for one of his button barrels as they tend to be on the shorter side of barrel life. Especially if you compete.

Last edited:

Keens

Private
Belligerents
Feb 4, 2014
South Carolina
I’ve never had a proof barrel in mine so I can’t comment on the balance. I’ve been tempted on several occasions to order one, but it would literally just be for coolness factor.
SAC makes awesome barrels too. I have a 308 barrel from them. I had a 300 Norma barrel from them at one time, but sold that barrel though.

Eric does very nice work and is a really good dude. 6cm would be a great candidate for one of his button barrels as they tend to be on the shorter side of barrel life. Especially if you compete.
Thanks Chad.. I appreciate you. Excited already- I’m sure you remember how this felt! If you don’t mind, why did you get rid of your Norma?

I still have time to ponder. Never thought choosing calibers when you can actually have all the calibers would be difficult ?

ChadL

Learning.
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Lincoln, NE
Thanks Chad.. I appreciate you. Excited already- I’m sure you remember how this felt! If you don’t mind, why did you get rid of your Norma?

I still have time to ponder. Never thought choosing calibers when you can actually have all the calibers would be difficult ?
It is tough to choose, no doubt. I sold it because I was an idiot. ?.

I still get excited to shoot my DT like it was new. I absolutely love the platform.

I have a 300 prc barrel now and enjoy it, but wish I never would’ve sold the Norma. Once the prc is shot out I will go back to Norma.

Reactions: deersniper

srt-4_uk

Private
Belligerents
Aug 6, 2011
Nebraska
I appreciate the feedback. I plan on starting off with 3 calibers and wanted one of them to be in a “burner” barrel as to not wear out something more expensive to replace. I plan on putting some time into the platform as I’d like to compete with it in 2021. It’s looking like a 20” 308 (button rifled) a 26” 6 CM and an TBD length 300NM. A friend with the platform is pushing me to SAC and I’ve only read good things... however having a CF option for the 2021 season seems appealing. How does the platform feel balance-wise with a Proof barrel compared to a standard med. Palma in comparable length?
If you are competing, wouldnt you want the most weight possible?
As far as burner barrels, 308 is going to take a long time to burn. Also, if you buy a barrel with a overly long clamping area, you can set back the burnt barrel for much less than the cost of a rebarrel.

biffj

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 23, 2010
east central indiana
Why would you need to go to cut rifling in a barrel over 26" I've done barrels up to 36" with button rifled blanks. It all depends on the maker of the blanks and what lengths they have available. I got a 33" blank from Schneider for a 33XC finished to 32". A 32" blank from Lothar Walther for a finished length of 31" in 338 Lapua mag. If you look around and ask you can normally find some longer blanks button rifled.

Frank

ChadL

Learning.
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Lincoln, NE
Why would you need to go to cut rifling in a barrel over 26" I've done barrels up to 36" with button rifled blanks. It all depends on the maker of the blanks and what lengths they have available. I got a 33" blank from Schneider for a 33XC finished to 32". A 32" blank from Lothar Walther for a finished length of 31" in 338 Lapua mag. If you look around and ask you can normally find some longer blanks button rifled.

Frank
Because ES Tactical’s, who he asked about, button barrel length stops at 26”. ES Tactical doesn’t offer a button barrel over 26”

65x55guy

Maker of bad decisions
Hessian
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Arkansas
very jealous if you get to shoot the platform that much. I’m still learning and I’ve had mine almost 3 years. Purchased an A1 SRS, then traded it for an A2 covert this January

I’ve got a 6.5CM factory barrel@ 26”, a 28 Nosler by Sin City customs @ 28”, 308 factory @ 22”, and .223 chambered by a rando @ 22”.

you’ll hear this a lot, but a .223 is very nice for training if you aren’t competing. I’ve been doing dot drills with mine to get better trigger discipline. The .308 was cheap- you’ll find them on PX for $650-700. Just a backup barrel thats obviously a great multipurpose

I didn’t find the swap to bullpup much of an issue, but I was never the best shooter. I always shoot prone. Just had to remember to run the bolt hard.

I’m no expert but I’m happy to help or talk through ideas anytime if you want to PM me.

Reactions: Edgecrusher

goosed

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
May 11, 2014
MN
You don't want a carbon barrel for competition.

2 reasons. 1) you want weight out front for balance, DT's are ass heavy 2) price vs benefit: they cost more, but do nothing to improve your score

Reactions: waveslayer

biffj

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 23, 2010
east central indiana
Because ES Tactical’s, who he asked about, button barrel length stops at 26”. ES Tactical doesn’t offer a button barrel over 26”

Will he not use blanks from any other sources? I've not dealt with him at all and I'm asking, not trying to be a dickhead. I am pretty sure he's not making the blanks he's using but some smiths are really picky about what blanks they use. I figure the customer should be able to choose. I may not be normal in that.

Frank

GMZ

Retired
Belligerents
Mar 15, 2007
PNW
Will he not use blanks from any other sources? I've not dealt with him at all and I'm asking, not trying to be a dickhead. I am pretty sure he's not making the blanks he's using but some smiths are really picky about what blanks they use. I figure the customer should be able to choose. I may not be normal in that.

Frank
He will use whatever you want but he bought a lot of blanks from xcaliber to keep costs low and turnaround time down, a button rifled SRS barrel for $675 in 3 weeks. Been thinking of getting one in 6.5 SAUM.

https://www.es-tactical.com/store1/SRS-Conversions-Button-Rifled-p156753001

We are very excited for our limited run of X-Caliber button rifled barrels. By ordering in volume we have been able to get the price on these down to $675 for a completed SRS barrel up to 26 inches in length. While we placed a large order, once the caliber and twist blanks are gone, they are gone until we are ready for the next bulk order. So if you have are looking for a great value for a barrel, don't wait!

(click contour for link to print):
Hunter
Medium Palma
1.045 Straight

Barrels have an approx 3 week lead time.