Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

NavyshooterM40

Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 19, 2010
Texas
The DTA video on there website introducing the A2 talks about continued support of the A1 due to military contracts. Any body have any idea what military unit is using the SRS A1?

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
Belligerents
Jun 21, 2007
Wellington, NZ via Dogtown, CA
The Georgians were the first military to formally use the SRS in combat, dumping Russians at distance fairly regularly in their northern breakaway regions under Russian influence. Other allied militaries (eastern European and Middle Eastern) have used the SRS and HTI to some degree, and the headaches associated with dealing with arms exports was a main motivation in changing the name from Desert Tactical Arms to Desert Tech.

I recently picked up a Gen 1 SRS and I would like to figure out how to modify it to take a monopod. I saw in the very beginning of this thread back in 2010 you could send your rifle to DT for them to do the retrofit but I emailed DT and was told "the gen 1 chassis are not able to accept a monopod" and they wont touch it.

Anyone know of someone who could do this?
I added a monopod to mine. It required having access to another rifle so I could measure exactly where to drill, then using a boring head to size the hole and make it ready to tap. I had to grind the tap flat to finish cutting to the bottom of the hole. It is a blind hole. As for the skins they can be modified, but there is no second chance if you make a mistake. They are not available anymore. I did mine with nothing more than a moto tool. They turned out great. Believe it or not, I found a used monopod on eBay for $180. The real deal! Watch out for "airsoft" parts! It had a few specs of surface rust and the bottom showed use (scratches) but who cares? I tould not have attempted the job without a milling machine.

1badbarrel

Dt srs wa
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Wet side wa
Thoughts on milling skins , maybe some chassis to lighten a1 some ? I think I seen a pic somewhere of one done. Not sure if messed with accuracy, or weights reduced.

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
Belligerents
Jun 21, 2007
They're already lightweight polymer - there's not a whole lot of weight saving you'll get by milling them out a bit. Removing the monopod (if you have one) is the first step to save weight, next is to go with a Covert handguard, and finally a thinner profiled barrel. Some weight can also be saved by going with a lighter scope and mount, but not by a whole lot without a major sacrifice in capability (the NX8 1-8x is pretty damned light, but there's no way I'm running that thing on an SRS unless maybe I was LEO). If you're daring, you could probably trim a bit off of the receiver (have a look at what they did on the A2), but in general I'm afraid it's a losing game if you're trying to turn an SRS into a lightweight rifle.

1badbarrel

Dt srs wa
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Wet side wa
Roger that. Thinking of doing all that , but not till after hunting season , if I do. Right before hunting season I get the wild idea of lightening her up , lol.

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
Belligerents
Jun 21, 2007
Honestly, for hunting you should get a short, thin profile barrel. I did some hunting with my SRS, both with thin 18" barrels. It was still kind of a beast to hump all day, but nothing like when using my full ELR setup. With a good sling and a short barrel, it's a pretty compact and maneuverable platform.

canezach

House of Chingasos
Belligerents
Apr 18, 2014
Colorado
You can always have your factory barrel rethreaded to 5/8×24, but i haven't bought a factory barrel in years. I have a SiCo Omega and a SilencerTech, both of which are threaded 5/8. Get whatever thread pitch you want

pinhead

Unnecessary Overkill
Belligerents
Nov 30, 2013
Orchard Lake, MI
I use the Ultra 7 and Hybrid 46 suppressors and Area 419’s mounting system for my setups. It’s a little expensive to start but has been a solid option for me. I don’t shoot unless I’m suppressed anymore.

Elite Iron makes DTs suppressors.

Reactions: 65x55guy

65x55guy

Listens to the voices
Hessian
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Arkansas
What are the crowds thoughts on Supressors? Get DTA's or a 3rd party?
Looking at the options, their 3/4 x 24 TPI brake pitch to 1 1/6 x 18 collar is... unique.
Anyone got a favorite?
TBAC ultra 9 CB has been great. It’s a pill to buy a bunch of their muzzle devices, but it does allow you to unify different thread pitches to the same suppressor. I’ve got 2 factory barrels 3/4 x 24 and one aftermarket 5/8 x 24 for my A2. I also had a random 3/4 x 28 threaded barrel at one point that was on a used rifle I purchased. Same system solved the problem for me.

mountainman308

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Jul 20, 2012
WV, USA
What are the crowds thoughts on Supressors? Get DTA's or a 3rd party?
Looking at the options, their 3/4 x 24 TPI brake pitch to 1 1/6 x 18 collar is... unique.
Anyone got a favorite?
I’ve got a Thunder Chicken on my ES Tactical barrel and I love it. Aftermarket barrel means I can go with any thread pitch I want.