• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Wait what? Crap...I've gone through at least three in the last 11 years...this is concerning.

Edit: crap, I must have used my last spare pin. Time to think about getting an A2 finally.

Why? I ran barrels with the gen2 extensions in my gen1 SRS for years before upgrading to the A1.

Reactions: Scopes
Come on man, I'm just looking for an excuse to finally upgrade my nearly 12 year old rifle ;)

When I had my Gen 1 I broke a pin. DT mailed me 3 of them and as I took off the skins to replace it, turns out the pin didn’t actually break but it just slipped down into the chassis enough that I couldn’t see it. If I recall the pins were pretty much a roll pin and you should be able to pick up an assortment pack from Home Depot or wherever to get the right size pin to replace. They were about 3/4” long and probably 3/16” in diameter.
Or if someone has a spare, maybe they can take measurements of the pin with calipers and post it.

When I had my Gen 1 I broke a pin. DT mailed me 3 of them and as I took off the skins to replace it, turns out the pin didn’t actually break but it just slipped down into the chassis enough that I couldn’t see it. If I recall the pins were pretty much a roll pin and you should be able to pick up an assortment pack from Home Depot or wherever to get the right size pin to replace. They were about 3/4” long and probably 3/16” in diameter.
Or if someone has a spare, maybe they can take measurements of the pin with calipers and post it.
Thanks for the info, I've already started looking around for replacements and have an email in with DT to see if they can relay the exact dimensions of the pin. If not it'll be a fun little project to figure out. Have a good one.

It's more about bending the pin, causing the barrel not to seat correctly. Sometimes the pin gets bent and it's obvious because you can't complete the barrel installation process. But more insidious is when the pin gets slightly bent and the barrel still installs correctly, but now your POI shifts. That last one really bit me a few times.

It could be a website remodel gone wrong. If you go the long way around(Store -> DesertTech -> SRS -> Barrels), you can still place an order. Best to not speculate and pick up the phone and call, or shoot him an email.

He's still making barrels but he's just slowing things down a bit so that he can catch up with outstanding orders.

Just wanted to hit up this thread with a question. I’ve had a DT Srs covert for a while now and just don’t shoot it that much. When you run the bolt to the rear (cocking the bolt/ firing pin). does the firing pin disappear entirely into the bolt body (like a traditional bolt gun would) or does the firing pin still stay slightly protruded out of the firing pin hole?

The firing pin is floating and the pin tip does not protrude until struck and pushed forward by the spring loaded anvil.

If the firing pin seems tight, the bolt head retaining pin may need to be inserted more.

If the firing pin seems tight, the bolt head retaining pin may need to be inserted more.
That was it. Gave the bolt head pin a quick smack and it dropped back in. It does free float if shaken but it does go back into the firing pin hole.

Reactions: Reload10
I agree, first Gen SRS. I wouldn't think this would be too bad of a price with both conversions and a hard case.

I have a gentleman wanting to trade this dta for a couple rifles of mine. He says it’s an a1 with 308 and 26 nosler conversions. My question is what it’s the street price on this set up. Want to make sure we have an even trade. Anything I need to look for as far as wear or anything when I go check it out? I don’t know much about these rifles but I want one.

Attachments

• 079C8491-6665-49CD-B285-25E6AF9CB68B.jpeg
    079C8491-6665-49CD-B285-25E6AF9CB68B.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 115
Can you get a picture from the other side? I can’t tell if it has the adjustable cheek piece or if that line is a hoptic saddle. I thought the A1’s came with the slimmer rail that only had a picatinny on the top, but this gun has a quad picatinny handguard which were on the Gen 1 and Gen 2. That’s not a bad thing, I actually prefer the rail on that gun but the newer one is a little lighter and used plastic rail sections. That looks like a 26” 308 factory barrel, and the 26 Nosler would be a custom. You’ll want to know what else comes with it, a case, torque wrench, .473 boltface bolt, .535 boltface bolt, number of magazines per caliber, etc. Round count on the 26 Nosler is important.
I haven’t been paying too much attention to street prices lately, maybe someone who has bought or sold one recently can comment, but the pricing would depend on what all is included.

Can you get a picture from the other side? I can’t tell if it has the adjustable cheek piece or if that line is a hoptic saddle. I thought the A1’s came with the slimmer rail that only had a picatinny on the top, but this gun has a quad picatinny handguard which were on the Gen 1 and Gen 2. That’s not a bad thing, I actually prefer the rail on that gun but the newer one is a little lighter and used plastic rail sections. That looks like a 26” 308 factory barrel, and the 26 Nosler would be a custom. You’ll want to know what else comes with it, a case, torque wrench, .473 boltface bolt, .535 boltface bolt, number of magazines per caliber, etc. Round count on the 26 Nosler is important.
I haven’t been paying too much attention to street prices lately, maybe someone who has bought or sold one recently can comment, but the pricing would depend on what all is included.

Thanks for your reply pinhead, as far as I know it’s just the chassis, both barrels, both bolts, and one magazine for each caliber. 308 bbl has had 40 rounds thru it and the 26 has had 75 Rounds thru it. I’ll find out about torque wrench and case. And the cheek piece.

Chassis is probably worth $1700-2k standalone, .308 barrel is $600-650, 26 nosler maybe $700 (if you like that cartridge and round count is honest), each bolt is worth $300, and magazines are $50-60 a pop.

Probably got $3600-4k in stuff there on the used market. I would also expect a discount for buying it all as a package. I don't know what your thought is on the worth of your pistols, but if I was paying cash I would be trying to get it done for $3500 for what he's offering.

Reactions: deersniper
Chassis is probably worth $1700-2k standalone, .308 barrel is $600-650, 26 nosler maybe $700 (if you like that cartridge and round count is honest), each bolt is worth $300, and magazines are $50-60 a pop.

Probably got $3600-4k in stuff there on the used market. I would also expect a discount for buying it all as a package. I don't know what your thought is on the worth of your pistols, but if I was paying cash I would be trying to get it done for $3500 for what he's offering.
Awesome thanks 65. I’ve got about 3600 in my end. So sounds like a fair deal. I’ve wanted one of these rifles for a while just never pulled the trigger.

Reactions: 65x55guy
$3500 is on target on the used market but you have to have the Seekonk t-handle torque wrench. Either get it from the seller or look for one in the 70-80 in/lb range. They are $100+.
Will the fix it sticks with 70 in lb limiter work?

Reactions: waveslayer
It can be a Gen 2. Only real way to see is the feed ramp. I think you guys are confusing the Gen 2 vs. A1.

It can be a Gen 2. Only real way to see is the feed ramp. I think you guys are confusing the Gen 2 vs. A1.

pretty sure it’s a gen 1.
look at the skins at the base of the butt pad, it doesn’t facilitate the monopod.

You could get a Gen 2 without a monopod. Don't remember if it was a capped hole or solid skin though. Configuration control wasn't DTs strong suit (i.e. possibility to upgrade to Gen 2 feed ramp, monopod mount hole drilled in chassis, handguard attachment)

You could get a Gen 2 without a monopod. Don't remember if it was a capped hole or solid skin though. Configuration control wasn't DTs strong suit (i.e. possibility to upgrade to Gen 2 feed ramp, monopod mount hole drilled in chassis, handguard attachment)

if I recall the monopod was available in the late run Gen 1’s, the stocks have a black “plug/cover” where the bipod would go.

Yup...they didn't start modifying the receivers to accept a monopod until 2010, which is why my rifle from the first run can't accept one.

Yup...they didn't start modifying the receivers to accept a monopod until 2010, which is why my rifle from the first run can't accept one.

Unless I am looking at a pic from the wrong thread, I see a monopod on the rifle. Also, the best rifle I ever had was a gen 1. Smooth as silk and consistent 1/4 MOA. I miss her. Sniff...

The easiest way to see if it is a gen 1 or 2 is to open the bolt and look. Pin or feed ramp. Plus there are two barrels, what does the back of the extension look like?

Also, the gen 1 and 2 rifles had the quad rail forend. Way better than the stupid weak plastic doodads on my A1.

Guys what is the best solution for ARCA rail for DT SRS A2 not Covert? Looking to have similar length to RRS adapter for SRS A1.

Thanks

Guys what is the best solution for ARCA rail for DT SRS A2 not Covert? Looking to have similar length to RRS adapter for SRS A1.

Thanks

I use the shortest one. Works great.

Reactions: mindekei
Just got my 6.5 prc barrel for my covert. I got a magazine upgrade from sac. Just tried to feed the rifle from the mag. It will not feed! Any thing I can do to fix this? Gonna call sac tommorrow

Whats it hanging up on? or will the round even leave the mag? Got any pics?
It’s hanging on the bottom of the barrel extension. Jamming up the tips of bullet. Ammo is hornady factory 143 eldx

Let us know how they handle it. I was going to send 2 in for there mods for my saum.

Let us know how they handle it. I was going to send 2 in for there mods for my saum.
All you need to do is buy the HS Precision mag adjuster, you bend the fed lips out a tad, super easy to do. Mine had worked flawless for my 6.5 SAUM

Thanks for the info, I've already started looking around for replacements and have an email in with DT to see if they can relay the exact dimensions of the pin. If not it'll be a fun little project to figure out. Have a good one.

Hey- what happened with the pin replacement? Asking for future Gen 1 owners.