• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I will say the Elite Iron non-pan model doesn’t give you much ability to move to the left or right when you’re behind the gun. That’s a good thing for target shooting at the range, probably not so good for movers or game.

You will also notice I have mine “upside down”. On the A1 and A2 the top rail is metal, bottom rail is plastic. I prefer to keep the bipod on a metal clamping surface so I run it upside down.

@pinhead do you see any advantage in getting the extended pic rail mount vs the standard length.

Not really. I guess it would let you run the bipod further away from the handguard if you wanted, or would give you more pic rail to Mount to. But the 6 slots that it slides over, or about 2-3/4” it takes up now is pretty secure.
just keep in mind if you tighten down the two set screws it will mar up the pic rail a little bit.

Here is the bipod with the attachment on the top of the SRS rail.

A195A438-54E6-4670-95B1-E7DF0FFF6ABA.jpeg

C41101A7-AEF5-4B0A-B78F-A3456F2C0069.jpeg

Here is the bipod attached to the bottom of the pic rail, which is traditionally how these are attached.
01D0A4C9-8967-4EEA-A447-90D4EA905006.jpeg

DC66CEC6-8DFC-404E-8CDD-C142E9E983C6.jpeg

Hey Dogtown,
Yes the new bolts will work fine in the old gen 1. I've had a couple of the new bolts in my old timer and they work great. I liked the two piece bolts because they were easier to strip and clean but the new ones are back to one piece....so I've got an old old bolt, a newer two piece and a new bolt for the different cals I run. The two piece is a 308 bolt I opened up to run 7.5 Swiss.

Frank

Time to ask for a full refund

I purchased 2 Proof barrels Nov 1, 2019. He shipped me the wrong barrels after 6 months. He was genuinely sorry and offered a refund or whatever I wanted to do. I chose to stick with it and i bought a 3rd stainless barrel while we waited for news Proof blanks. Finally delivered the 3rd barrel after 3 months. He did give me a $200 discount too. After 12 months waiting, Nov 2020 I emailed and he called me, it’s Proofs fault no blanks, no lead times. I asked for a refund and 1 stainless barrel. He said it was in stock and I would get a check and barrel ASAP. I emailed for update middle of Dec and no reply with holidays. But still no check...supper nice guy to talk to on phone, seems genuine, makes a good barrel. Crappy year for most so I didn’t really mind. I have worked with several gunsmith that are good but don’t deliver in timeliness or communication.

I would still order from him...just don’t have high expectations on getting it soon and you might be pleasantly surprised. I’m going to reach out again when I’m home from my trip and Christmas is now behind us. I’m know he will take care of me...i have NEVER been burned by a Hide member after 9 years here. I chalk it up to 2020, I had a good year but I know most didn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: SRPowah
SAC is in a league of their own.

Don’t forget about DMR they keep a lower profile than most but he spun me up a hammer of a 6.5 CM barrel in under 2 weeks. Looking to add a short mag to the quiver soon as I can source components and will probably call Dane.

Reactions: waveslayer
Anybody know if Bartlein’s Carbon Wrapped barrels will be offered for the DT’s? I’m having a proof spun up by SAC (whenever they get the barrel from them) but wouldn’t mind trying the Bartlein, been reading on here of some accuracy issues lately with proof barrels

I purchased 2 Proof barrels Nov 1, 2019. He shipped me the wrong barrels after 6 months. He was genuinely sorry and offered a refund or whatever I wanted to do. I chose to stick with it and i bought a 3rd stainless barrel while we waited for news Proof blanks. Finally delivered the 3rd barrel after 3 months. He did give me a $200 discount too. After 12 months waiting, Nov 2020 I emailed and he called me, it’s Proofs fault no blanks, no lead times. I asked for a refund and 1 stainless barrel. He said it was in stock and I would get a check and barrel ASAP. I emailed for update middle of Dec and no reply with holidays. But still no check...supper nice guy to talk to on phone, seems genuine, makes a good barrel. Crappy year for most so I didn’t really mind. I have worked with several gunsmith that are good but don’t deliver in timeliness or communication.

I would still order from him...just don’t have high expectations on getting it soon and you might be pleasantly surprised. I’m going to reach out again when I’m home from my trip and Christmas is now behind us. I’m know he will take care of me...i have NEVER been burned by a Hide member after 9 years here. I chalk it up to 2020, I had a good year but I know most didn’t.
The one barrel I got from ES is a 22.5” proof 6.5 creed and it was an awesome barrel at an awesome price. But with the current issues it’s SAC all the way.

Reactions: bigwatchpilot
Ok I need a quick refresher on the SAC 223 conversion. Wife placed a “surprise “ order the week before Christmas. Gonna call and confirm the order this week. I have an A1.
1 Shortest I can go is 22”or 20”
2 best twist for 77gn is 7.5?
3 vaguely remember something about a chambering for heavies
4 best contour for being light enough to carry hunting

thanks in advance. Have so much going on I can’t think straight right now

Ok I need a quick refresher on the SAC 223 conversion. Wife placed a “surprise “ order the week before Christmas. Gonna call and confirm the order this week. I have an A1.
1 Shortest I can go is 22”or 20”
2 best twist for 77gn is 7.5?
3 vaguely remember something about a chambering for heavies
4 best contour for being light enough to carry hunting

thanks in advance. Have so much going on I can’t think straight right now
I also just ordered.

22.5” is shortest.

7.5 is dope for 77s. I just asked Mark to chamber for Federal GMM 77 grain. I asked for whatever profile he recommended.

Does anyone have any data or experience on Benchmark’s DTA blanks? 3rd Gen has 26” .284 1/9 blanks for $295 w/o ext I think that’s pretty good for a DTA blank. 1/9 not the best but will stabilize every Berger.

Been searching for a .300 NM Barrel for SRS-A2 for quite some time, zero dice. If anyone stubs a toe on one please let me know.

Reactions: slkzic
Been searching for a .300 NM Barrel for SRS-A2 for quite some time, zero dice. If anyone stubs a toe on one please let me know.
Have you reached out to Dane at DMR rifles? He should have some barrel blanks waiting for you. Prices are excellent

****Adjustable Butt Pads****
just FYI, I have spoken with Mark at SAC and he said that they have everting in-house to make them a production item with the exception of the actual recoil pad. The cost for a custom mold was pretty high. The custom mold would make it so that SAC wouldn’t have to hand fit every one. They are considering making them again but they are pondering the cost/benefit factor of the project. If I hear anything more I will keep everyone posted.

just FYI, I have spoken with Mark at SAC and he said that they have everting in-house to make them a production item with the exception of the actual recoil pad. The cost for a custom mold was pretty high. The custom mold would make it so that SAC wouldn’t have to hand fit every one. They are considering making them again but they are pondering the cost/benefit factor of the project. If I hear anything more I will keep everyone posted.
I’d buy.

I like the design and shape of the factory DT pad. It really fits in the pocket well for me. I just wish it was a little softer. They should have addressed that on the A2.

Mine has always fit “ok” at best. A little bit of cant will make my life a lot better! Hopefully they will produce them

Last edited:
Mine has always fit “ok” at best. A little bit of can’t will make my life a lot better! Hopefully they will produce them
Have you seen the SAC one? If it is the one I remember it is shaped like a traditional rifles recoil pad.

I am very interested in this. Is posting here enough? Do we need to make a post of support on their FakeBook page? I have been extremely impressed with my SAC .223 conversion so far!!

I am very interested in this. Is posting here enough? Do we need to make a post of support on their FakeBook page? I have been extremely impressed with my SAC .223 conversion so far!!
I don’t have Facebook, but I would imagine that the more they hear about people wanting them would help them calculate their cost/benefit for the company. I offered to spear head a group buy for them if they needed it as well.

Spuhr and Ultra Short finally arrived and mounted!!
now just waiting on my 6.5 barrel from Es-Tactical!
Currently has DT factory 16” 308 barrel, BiLock flashhider from GLS Suppressors that works with my Gemtech Quicksand.

*** update***
just spoke with Erik on the phone. Barrel should be enroute by next week!!!

Attachments

• A71B31CE-09C5-4E8A-8906-E66ACFA8EC0B.jpeg
    A71B31CE-09C5-4E8A-8906-E66ACFA8EC0B.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
If anyone has a .300 PRC barrel (preferably 24”) that they are willing to part with along with a bolt and mag, please let me know. Also, has anyone here chambered an SRS in 6.5 PRC, and what are your thoughts if so? Just bought an A1 chassis and am trying to get the rest of the rifle put together. Thanks in advance for any comments. Also, if this post in inappropriate, please let me know as I am new to the forum.

If anyone has a .300 PRC barrel (preferably 24”) that they are willing to part with along with a bolt and mag, please let me know. Also, has anyone here chambered an SRS in 6.5 PRC, and what are your thoughts if so? Just bought an A1 chassis and am trying to get the rest of the rifle put together. Thanks in advance for any comments. Also, if this post in inappropriate, please let me know as I am new to the forum.
Shoot man, inappropriate? You’ll have to try a lot harder. Welcome to the forum and the page. I hopped in here 3 years back and read for dozens of hours. So much good info.

I’ll let others answer on the PRC chambering. Heard great things about them throwing heavy projectiles.

Took my 223 out for a few days varmint hunting, man I love it . So mild to shoot , accurate as and love the manoeuvrable of the SRS in vehicles .
Quick 5shots to confirm zero with 80gr Amaxs

Attachments

• 20201228_111303.jpg
    20201228_111303.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 20201228_001049.jpg
    20201228_001049.jpg
    756.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot_20210101-225736_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210101-225736_Gallery.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 133
Also, has anyone here chambered an SRS in 6.5 PRC, and what are your thoughts if so?

On the 6.5 PRC, like the 6.5 SAUM, is a shorter fatter cartridges and has a little trouble feeding from the magazine. You have to bend the feed lips on your short action magazine a bit to make it feed properly.
Short Action Customs makes an aftermarket kit that has an extended magazine follower and a different spring. You send them your magazine and they bend the feed lips and add the parts to your magazine. The ~ $75 is worth every penny if you want to use the 6.5 PRC or SAUM in your DT.
I don’t believe the 7 SAUM has this issue since the bullets used traditionally longer (180 Berger or 197 SMK for example).

I find the longer the cartridge is the better it feeds from the long action magazine, 300 WM, 300 PRC, 7 RM, 25-06, etc feed perfectly.

I have actually been thinking about doing a 6.5-06 AI when my 260 barrel dies since I would get 6.5 PRC/SAUM speeds, while using plentiful Lapua 30-06 or common 25-06 brass, and it would feed flawlessly in the Desert Tech.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Reactions: BamaBuilder
I have a 6.5 prc in my a1. Works well . I got the sac mag for it

My SRS is approaching 5K rounds through it and has experienced a fair amount of field use. So far it hasn't skipped a beat. How many rounds do some of you guys have on your chassis? I was wondering what people's experience with the platform is when it comes to longevity and what parts wear out as round counts go up, other than obviously barrels. Are chassis holding up with changing the barrels and repeatedly tightening and loosening the barrel's clamp bolts? Anyone have problems with trigger, bolt components, or other moving parts failing? I seem to remember a while back someone having an issue with the extractor but that case sounded like pilot's error. Curious to hear the experience of those with hard used platforms that have shot 10k or more rounds.

Reactions: deersniper
Oh dude, I got mine from the first batch in late 2008 or early 2009, and have had 9 conversions since then. Off the top of my head I’d estimate I have close to 10k rounds through mine. The only issues I’ve had have been around the fragile barrel index pin, having replaced it 3-4 times. I’ve also upgraded bolts from the original one-piece teardrop model, but it wasn’t due to any problems. My skins are pretty beat up but serviceable. I’ve had nuts & bolts on the skins work loose over time, so I just got in the habit of checking them every few months.

Reactions: deersniper
20210103_101445.jpg

Ran a ladder test with H1000 and 230 Atips in the 300NM. Went from 80gr to 85.6gr in .4gr increments. Velocity went from 2550fps to 2745fps. There was a faint ejector mark at 85.6 but felt nothing on bolt lift or extraction. I don't think I will run any higher than that. Lapua brass can take alot of pressure before you feel anything on the bolt.

Potential sweet spots at 82.4gr, 2625fps ---
83.8gr, 2680fps --- 85gr, 2725fps.

I need to run it through again and see what shakes out.

What is everyone using for a case or bag?
I have The Case club pre-cut. I wished it had a little more space I have the elite iron Bipod and it wont fit.

IMG_1787.JPG