• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

QE8TDR5.jpg

Used my old monopod, 10-32 screw and a spare MPA bag rider I wasn't using. Works decent.

Kirt McKenna over on Facebook under desert tech rifle shooters has a pretty cool mag sled that he's come up with. He has a couple different sizes. Standard and HTI. The HTI fits awesome in my rifle, it fits 375ct all the way up to 50bmg same sled. I just thought I'd help the guy get his product in the hands of shooters. Awesome guy to deal with.

Hope this helps someone out.

Xdeano
Been doing some testing on his HTI sleds. Both sleds work well for the 375ct, the flat top works better for the larger rounds 416B and 50cal.

The ergonomics give you a bunch more room for your hand/ wrist behind the grip. They lock in very nice and have no wiggle. It's a really good fit. Hope this helps someone.

Xdeano

0629210702a~2.jpg

0629210701~2.jpg

0629210702~2.jpg

Do any of y'all know if DT makes their scope mounts in house or has someone else making them?

I have a 338 lapua kit on my srsa2 that I picked up, but it has a 2 port Desert Tech muzzle brake. I am unable to get it off by using my hands, but wanted to grab a new muzzle brake. I'm assuming the thread is 3/4-24?

I have a 338 lapua kit on my srsa2 that I picked up, but it has a 2 port Desert Tech muzzle brake. I am unable to get it off by using my hands, but wanted to grab a new muzzle brake. I'm assuming the thread is 3/4-24?
Yes it is.. You'll need a good vise to get it off. I ended up bending my old brake removing it

Use a torch on it first to loosen the thread locker. I've had to do that with every factory SRS barrel that I've removed the brake on.

Reactions: waveslayer
I've been think of picking up a new barrel from ES Tactical. What's been there turn around time looking like these days.

Was wondering if anyone knew what generation this is? I bought it from a guy on another forum and he said it was an A1 that would work on my A2. Hope it will work. It says on the bolt .243 and .308. Was hoping to put a .308 win barrel on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210719_222358.jpg
    IMG_20210719_222358.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 81
That's most likely to be a second gen bolt, the kind that was made starting in 2010. The main difference between the first gen bolt is it has the round knob and should have a pin at the base of the bolt head that allows for swapping bolt faces. The first gen bolts were one-piece bolt head/handle construction.

It should be totally fine in an A2.

Reactions: st1650
Anyone know where the hell to find a RRS SRS-A1 chassis plate? See they’re not made anymore and out of stock everywhere. Called RRS today and they said they have no plans of making them again

Last edited:
Yeah was thinking of just getting the sawtooth one and cutting it down some in length just for tripod use, but not going all the back to the trigger guard sucks since that’s where the CG is.

Yeah that would work too, really trying to hold out though and snag a RRS one so I can get closer to the trigger guard

I’ve explained how I did mine with an older picatinny Gen ii a couple of pages back.
I used a area419 weighted and I put a steel insert inside the hand guard and with some 10-32 screws made some magic happen.

Was wondering if anyone knew what generation this is? I bought it from a guy on another forum and he said it was an A1 that would work on my A2. Hope it will work. It says on the bolt .243 and .308. Was hoping to put a .308 win barrel on it.
That's actually the first generation bolt. Gen 1 bolts have the "243/308" written on the bolt knob shank. Second gen bolts have the pin visible behind the lugs.

Reactions: coldboremiracle
Hoping it works on the srsa2
Not sure all gen I bolt are compatible. I know the barrel index differently but it does seems like the bolt might be compatible.
I know the Gen 2 are.

I have a gen II bolt and a Gen II 308 kit, a 223 conv kit and a A2 6.5 conversion kit.
The only issue would be if you were to use an older Gen II bolt with the 223 conv kit, the bolt head channel isn't flush wouldn't allow you to put the 223 bolt head in, you'd have to grind off the excess. On the newer A1 and A2 bolt, everything is flush inside the bolt channel. Long story short, don't worry about it unless you'd plan to use it for a 223 conv.

In my case, I use the newer A2 bolt body with the 223 bolt head and barrel. And my older Gen II bolt, with my old gen 2 308 barrel and my newer A2 6.5 CM barrel. Works like a charm. Except then DTA fucked up my extension but that's been resolved (and not by DTA).

Make sense ?

Not sure all gen I bolt are compatible. I know the barrel index differently but it does seems like the bolt might be compatible.
I know the Gen 2 are.

I have a gen II bolt and a Gen II 308 kit, a 223 conv kit and a A2 6.5 conversion kit.
The only issue would be if you were to use an older Gen II bolt with the 223 conv kit, the bolt head channel isn't flush wouldn't allow you to put the 223 bolt head in, you'd have to grind off the excess. On the newer A1 and A2 bolt, everything is flush inside the bolt channel. Long story short, don't worry about it unless you'd plan to use it for a 223 conv.

In my case, I use the newer A2 bolt body with the 223 bolt head and barrel. And my older Gen II bolt, with my old gen 2 308 barrel and my newer A2 6.5 CM barrel. Works like a charm. Except then DTA fucked up my extension but that's been resolved (and not by DTA).

Make sense ?
Sounds good. Thanks for the clarification, luckily not planning on going 223 for the SRSA2. Also planning on getting a barrel spun by IBI for the desert tech so will see how that goes.

Sounds good. Thanks for the clarification, luckily not planning on going 223 for the SRSA2. Also planning on getting a barrel spun by IBI for the desert tech so will see how that goes.
If you are Canadian and can afford it, you should highly look into a Krieger heavy varmint from insite arms.

Are they better than IBI?
Yes in my opinion. Although some have had good IBI barrels, I wouldn’t put them on the same level as Bartlein, Proof or Krieger.
But those might run you a few extra $

I've got a gen 1 SRS I bought in 2010 and I've run bolts made all the way up to last year. I'm pretty sure they're all compatible with all the rifles. I've yet to see one that doesn't lock up properly and headspace right. After making a lot of barrels over the years I've fitted a lot of gen 1 and 2 extensions and checked headspace with various bolts. I've always found that headspace is consistent regardless of the mix.....to be sure check with DT if you can get someone to talk to you about it.

Frank

So who else is planning on a 375 SwissP for their SRS ? I've got a spare barrel extension and wanting to save it for something. The 375 Swiss p should cater for everything without getting into the HTI platform, which then becomes too heavy to lug around in hills

After many years of shooting big bore rifles, I was excited when the HTI came out. Around the same time I started shooting a 36” .338 LM Improved 40 and over time came to realize I probably didn’t need an HTI to get out to 2400m. I still have all of the gear to make .408/.375 Cheytac ammo, yet every time I think about finally getting around to an HTI, I balk. And now I’m shooting .300NM more than any of my .338 barrels, and there are long .375 options available like .375 SwissP and .37XC. The window of things you can’t do with an SRS has been really shrinking lately.

Reactions: jbrand11
View attachment 7674292

As much as I think the magazines are the weakest link in the SRS system, this morning I really appreciated being able to magazine feed such a long 3.910” COAL.

Magazines are really the only thing that I wish could be changed. I do love the extra length available for seating the bullets long, but I do wish there was a way to make it a double stack so the mags wouldn't be so tall

Agreed, though I remember Nick saying back at the start that he designed the magazines single stack so it would capture the shoulder, preventing the cartridges to moving too far forward during recoil. Historically, making a successful proprietary magazine for a new firearm has often required orders of magnitude more effort than originally expected.

Love this rifle. Getting ready to order a SAC 223 conversion. This will be the one to rule them all for me. The compactness and versatility of this platform is undeniable. Happy Friday everyone!

View attachment 7645257
Quick question - how did you manage to get the arca rail all the way to the trigger guard? Been looking at the RRS but it seems they've already discontinued the BSRS

Its how the Sawtooth arca rail mounts ok the A2. If you want the arca all the way to the trigger guard on the A1 or before, it's RRS or something custom

Thinking about getting a long action barrel from ES Tactical. Was leaning toward 300 PRC. Is there a better option? If I go .300 PRC what barrel twist should I get. Was thinking 26 in barrel in his tapered profile with flutes.

Thinking about getting a long action barrel from ES Tactical. Was leaning toward 300 PRC. Is there a better option? If I go .300 PRC what barrel twist should I get. Was thinking 26 in barrel in his tapered profile with flutes.
I have a proof barrel in 300 PRC from SAC. I bought a couple thousand rounds when it first came out and Hornady was offering extremely competitive pricing. I’ve found the factory ammo to be hit or miss. Have you considered 300 Norma. The factory Hornady and Federal loads have been excellent in my Bartlein barrels.
For twist I’d do 8 for either one. Hope that helps. Just my experience on a couple barrels.

Reactions: deersniper
What is the purpose of this caliber? Are you just wanting to ring steel?
In all honesty the best part of these rifles is the Lapua bolt face, so in my opinion going with 300prc is kinda a waste. 300nm, 338nm or lm, 33xc-42xc. Are all great options. 6.5 prc is interesting, but again what is your intended use....

Reactions: Dogtown
After shooting the 338 lapua magnum, I'm thinking of switching to 300 Norma magnum on my SRSA2. Wanted to go custom route for the barrel. What is the thickest barrel you can put on an SRS?

After shooting the 338 lapua magnum, I'm thinking of switching to 300 Norma magnum on my SRSA2. Wanted to go custom route for the barrel. What is the thickest barrel you can put on an SRS?

1.250" straight

It will weigh a lot with a straight barrel that thick. I ordered one for fun , chambered in a 6.5 SAUM it was a solid steel rod basically

Shoot
What is the purpose of this caliber? Are you just wanting to ring steel?
In all honesty the best part of these rifles is the Lapua bolt face, so in my opinion going with 300prc is kinda a waste. 300nm, 338nm or lm, 33xc-42xc. Are all great options. 6.5 prc is interesting, but again what is your intended use....
shooting steal is primary use

It will weigh a lot with a straight barrel that thick. I ordered one for fun , chambered in a 6.5 SAUM it was a solid steel rod basically
After shooting 200 rounds of 338 lapua in a weekend with the factory barrel with a 5 port InSite heathen I could use the additional weight lol. Not sure if going to go full thickness but go at least heavy.

There are so many good magnum-class bullets available these days that it makes sense to go with a .30 cal magnum. I think the main advantage of .300PRC is that it can be used in a standard long action and doesn't require the Lapua bolt face. But with the SRS that's kind of a moot point.

After shooting 200 rounds of 338 lapua in a weekend with the factory barrel with a 5 port InSite heathen I could use the additional weight lol. Not sure if going to go full thickness but go at least heavy.
I shoot a 22" .338 Norma AI version. Not much recoil. The barrel being that thick is a heavy rifle to lug around. I take mine everywhere so weight matters sometimes... I guess you'll have a nice iron rod if you ever needed one

Which brake for the 16" 308? The muzzle is pretty close to your face with the short barrel so the brakes that redirect blast backwards are a no-go. Looking to minimize muzzle rise more than pure recoil reduction, and don't want the concussive blast associated with the high recoil reduction brakes.

Which brake for the 16" 308? The muzzle is pretty close to your face with the short barrel so the brakes that redirect blast backwards are a no-go. Looking to minimize muzzle rise more than pure recoil reduction, and don't want the concussive blast associated with the high recoil reduction brakes.
A dominus sr will do everything you want.