• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Not exactly an answer to your question, but I've used the "standard" brake on a couple different barrels in my Covert. I recently acquired a new .308 barrel for it from Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs. For a number of reasons, I didn't mount one of my brakes on this barrel. I cannot tell any major difference in the recoil of the rifle with or without brake. Although the buttstock is made of some very hard plastic, I find recoil to be pretty manageable either way. If you were running .300 Win or .338 LM, it'd be a different story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not exactly an answer to your question, but I've used the "standard" brake on a couple different barrels in my Covert. I recently acquired a new .308 barrel for it from Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs. For a number of reasons, I didn't mount one of my brakes on this barrel. I cannot tell any major difference in the recoil of the rifle with or without brake. Although the buttstock is made of some very hard plastic, I find recoil to be pretty manageable either way. If you were running .300 Win or .338 LM, it'd be a different story. </div></div>
I'm running 300WM...So i'm sure I'll need something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoBig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not exactly an answer to your question, but I've used the "standard" brake on a couple different barrels in my Covert. I recently acquired a new .308 barrel for it from Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs. For a number of reasons, I didn't mount one of my brakes on this barrel. I cannot tell any major difference in the recoil of the rifle with or without brake. Although the buttstock is made of some very hard plastic, I find recoil to be pretty manageable either way. If you were running .300 Win or .338 LM, it'd be a different story. </div></div>
I'm running 300WM...So i'm sure I'll need something.</div></div>

The QD brake on my 338 was "uncomfortable". I called and got the standard brake which weighs much more and I like it a lot.

I'm able to stay on target nearly all shots. The standard DTA brake is a good buy...especially if you are running a 338 pig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoBig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
gstaylorg said:
Not exactly an answer to your question, but I've used the "standard" brake on a couple different barrels in my Covert. I recently acquired a new .308 barrel for it from Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs. For a number of reasons, I didn't mount one of my brakes on this barrel. I cannot tell any major difference in the recoil of the rifle with or without brake. Although the buttstock is made of some very hard plastic, I find recoil to be pretty manageable either way. If you were running .300 Win or .338 LM, it'd be a different story. </div></div>

I'm running 300WM...So i'm sure I'll need something.</div></div>

The QD brake on my 338 was "uncomfortable". I called and got the standard brake which weighs much more and I like it a lot.

I'm able to stay on target nearly all shots. The standard DTA brake is a good buy...especially if you are running a 338 pig

I can't agree with that. I found the QD very comfortable with the 338 LM. If you want to try real recoil try it with a AAC QD break. It's about half the recoil reduction of the DTA QD break.
eek.gif

In California, there's no real advantage for owning the QD brake over the standard one. You cannot use suppressor in this commie state anyway. Why not maximize the effectiveness of the brake.
smile.gif

6.5x47 bolt is firing pin bushed or manufactured correct size for small primer?

The 18" 338LM barrels pictured have very little recoil their is a lot more gases hitting the brake ports making the brake more effective on the 18" guns than on the 26" guns.

We also got some 26" 338 Norma Magnum barrels in if anyone is interested.

hello,
Does the 338norma mag has the same bolt face as a 300 wm?

hello,
Does the 338norma mag has the same bolt face as a 300 wm?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bob7-08</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hello,
Does the 338norma mag has the same bolt face as a 300 wm?</div></div>

it is the same bolt face as a 338 lapua

Nick I hate you I have 5 barrels and now you have at least 3 more I want

I wanted to show what the Desert Tactical Arms GEN1 (Stealth Recon Scout) was capable of by engaging a 12" steel target at 1000 yards with a 6.5x47 Lapua conversion, and then changing it out to the 338 Lapua Magnum conversion and again shooting at 1000 yards. Sorry it took 4 attempts with the 338, I was a little nervous in front of the camera and my focus and fundamentals went out the window.

TURN UP YOUR VOLUME TO HEAR THE IMPACTS (the 6.5 is very quiet)

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Fv1_empDjU&feature=plcp&context=C3793c92UDOEgsToPDskJdwTYpo5TjFrypHHuBGz83"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Fv1_empDjU&feature=plcp&context=C3793c92UDOEgsToPDskJdwTYpo5TjFrypHHuBGz83" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Also here is a pic of the 12" steel plate with a 5 shot group at 1000 yards with the 6.5x47 Lapua conversion.

0022.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raptor 2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In California, there's no real advantage for owning the QD brake over the standard one. You cannot use suppressor in this commie state anyway. Why not maximize the effectiveness of the brake.
smile.gif

</div></div>
I agree...but I may be moving sometime in the future.
laugh.gif

Just picked up an SRS in .338. I'm left handed, but like the design enough to take the chance. May give Nick a call to see about a .260 or 7 WSM barrel and a covert conversion kit as well. Anyone have any experience with the short mag?
I run a Marine wounded warrior unit down here at Brooke Army Medical Center and do a lot of shooting and hunting when they are healthy enough to get outdoors. I think the boys will enjoy shooting it when we go out!

Does anyone have the barrel contour specs for the DTA SRS, I am in the process of building a custom calibre for mine. I would prefer to get a Krieger and it seems to be a medium to heavy Palma. Does anyone know if it's a standard profile or special to DTA only.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd get yourself a decent trigger pull gauge, if you don't already have one.</div></div>

Can someone please recommend one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoBig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd get yourself a decent trigger pull gauge, if you don't already have one.</div></div>

Can someone please recommend one? </div></div>

While the digital would be nice, you are at the mercy of electronics. They always seem to not work when you need them most.
I recommend this one.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/545039/rcbs-trigger-pull-gage-premium-8-oz-to-8-lb-2-oz-increments

I have verified mine against calibrated weights and it is consistent and accurate... and best of all, no batteries.

Nice Video bribri,

We need to do some return to zero videos we have done extensive tests and have lots of targets but video is much more entertaining.

Also guys the 338 Norma is the same bolt face as the 338 lapua.

Joe,
Thanks to whole idea buddy.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Video bribri,

We need to do some return to zero videos we have done extensive tests and have lots of targets but video is much more entertaining. </div></div>

Thanks sr90, the DTA has been flawless, thanks for making a great product...

My 6.5x47 suppressed zero is only a 1/2 inch low and left from my 338 Lapua zero at 100 yards. It works great and its repeatable everytime.

Good looking rig you got there should be ordering mine within the next month!!! Can you post some close ups shots of that multicam paint? That's for the video

Still looking for info regarding 6.5x47 firing pin/bolt

is it bushed or otherwise made correct for small primer?

Protrusion and firing pin/hole optimized for a high pressure small rifle primer?

Thought you guys would like to see a picture of what Production HTI look like.

This is in 375CT:

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

Here is the weight of the 375CT with S&B 5-25, rings, and bipod.
photo-11.jpg

Also, we just found out that our rifles showed up in Playboys January issue (has Lohan on the cover). Here is a pic, it has a great article about some of the best snipers in the world. Steve Reichert is the one with our rifle in the picture below and also well known for the documentary "one-mile kill shot".

Screenshot2012-01-09at92038PM.png

As the Kiwis say, "eeexcellent!"

Any updates on the 10 round mags for the SRS as yet.

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

Just ordered a SRS yesterday with 338 lapua conversion from DTA. Can't wait till it arrives. Now my only question is what scope to get. Should I invest in the Schmidt and Bender 5-25x56mm or go with a Nightforce 8-32x56mm. I'm thinking about the nightforce and using the 1000 ill save on brass and a new press. Any thoughts.

don't settle you already bought the gun you wanted and i assume paid a decent penny for one (i have one). get the good scope, never go cheaper on a scope when you spent that much on a stick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't settle you already bought the gun you wanted and i assume paid a decent penny for one (i have one). get the good scope, never go cheaper on a scope when you spent that much on a stick. </div></div>

^^^ what he said
You will never regret buying top shelf glass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve w</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just ordered a SRS yesterday with 338 lapua conversion from DTA. Can't wait till it arrives. Now my only question is what scope to get. Should I invest in the Schmidt and Bender 5-25x56mm or go with a Nightforce 8-32x56mm. I'm thinking about the nightforce and using the 1000 ill save on brass and a new press. Any thoughts. </div></div>

What is the lead time for a SRS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't settle you already bought the gun you wanted and i assume paid a decent penny for one (i have one). get the good scope, never go cheaper on a scope when you spent that much on a stick. </div></div>
We're in perfect agreement. The only question is - what scope is good enough. For me Razor HD does the job on my SRS (338LM) and provides all the features/capabilities I need. So consider

Is S&B better? Probably. Would I appreciate the difference, especially after paying that extra $1K? Probably not. And you talk about "not going cheaper" - why stop at S&B? Go get Hensoldt or something...
smile.gif

i have three razors, i understand my point was if you want a S&B get a S&B. I love my razors and have on currently on my SRS as well. the ebr-2b reticle is my favorite one running right now. I am only saying don't "settle" for a lesser scope then you want

The glass is really a personal preference thing. I'm a big fan of S&B's turrets, so they inhabit my bolt guns, but I use NXS on my carbines.

Lead time for an SRS should be short - there are stocking dealers and DTA direct is always a phone call away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have three razors, i understand my point was if you want a S&B get a S&B. I love my razors and have on currently on my SRS as well. the ebr-2b reticle is my favorite one running right now. I am only saying don't "settle" for a lesser scope then you want </div></div>
Agree absolutely with all of the above.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Third time asking now</span>

Still looking for info regarding 6.5x47 firing pin/bolt

is it bushed or otherwise made correct for small primer?

Protrusion and firing pin/hole optimized for a high pressure small rifle primer?

Simple question, whats the deal?

You should probably PM sr90

The bolt face on the 6.5x47 is the same as the 308 winchester. The bolt requires a bushing to reduce the firing pin hole diameter. If you already have an unbushed bolt then send it in to us and we will bush it for you so all you have to do is buy the barrel assembly to run the 6.5x47.

Thanks

Nick

Thnx Nick
I knew you guys had a handle on this got some BS info and wanted to hear from you guys direct

Now lets gets that left hand chassis rolled out bro

TIA

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I am going with the nightforce nxs. If anyone has shot with it, let me know how it is.

I have one w the NP-R1 reticle. That scope ought to be a very nice balance of utility and plenty of magnification available (if desired) for shooting with your 338. What reticle did you choose?

We got some new stuff we are showing at the shot show guys so we hope to see you all there. We will post pic's during the show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve w</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone use Redding dies to reload? </div></div>

I'm not really a fan of Redding dies (or Lee for the matter) as they have given me issues in the past. For my ELR cartridges I've used a combo of RCBS and Forster dies (with the occasional custom CH4D die).

Anyone using an IOR terminator on one of these? I'm thinking about doing it on mine...

All the guys I shoot with are runnuig Schmidts. I just bought the Bushnell elite front focal plane. I like it better than the nightforce I had, but you still can't beat a schmidt, except I only paid a 1/3 of the cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enfieldp17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All the guys I shoot with are runnuig Schmidts. I just bought the Bushnell elite front focal plane. I like it better than the nightforce I had, but you still can't beat a schmidt, except I only paid a 1/3 of the cost. </div></div> Easy Kent, blasphemy is not taken lightly
wink.gif