• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Can you measure your mag and send those measurements so we can compare to the standard mags? I bent mine using a tool for my SAUM
Unfortunately I’m a wild heathen savage and don’t have a pair of calipers. The standard black one is a 308 mag.

57EAE689-33ED-4F6B-A6C9-FF82FA5E25D0.jpeg

3CA7551C-32E9-40CD-9155-29E803928AEF.jpeg

24C88DB4-F67E-4770-B8FE-205FFE42A3B9.jpeg

Reactions: waveslayer
Don’t know if this was answered for ya but SAC did my 450bm conversion for the SRS… it feeds flawlessly out of their mag. I’d just send them a standard 308 mag or have them build you one with whatever voodoo magic they do to make it work

View attachment 8029238
Mine will be pretty much identical less the can and I use a full length arca on the older Gen 2 picatinny chassis.
My blanks are just about to clear customs, will be doing a 16in 16twist from a Mcgowen straight 1.250 blanks for dedicated thumper using the 395 subx with tinstar and also a 12.5in on a ARC Nuke action on a MPA ultra light chassis.
I’ve been bugging SAC every couple of week about when they’ll get their MID length magazine available again for the 450 BM since the SA won’t work but I have a LA that I plan to modify the follower and weld a front and rear plate and I think it’ll work.
Planning a 1-10 LPVO either the a vudu 1-10 or an Athlon ETR 1-10 so that I can dial it up to 300 yards and a Iray RH25 clip on

Anyone running 6 creedmoor in an SRS having feeding issues? I’m getting some finicky feeding of Hornady 87 varmint express (factory).

What is the difference between the desert tech long action magazines and the norma magazines? Will the norma rounds not feed out of the 300win mag/lapua magazines and vice versa?

@waveslayer, which mag did you use to tweak in order to feed your short magnum cartridge reliably?

What is the difference between the desert tech long action magazines and the norma magazines? Will the norma rounds not feed out of the 300win mag/lapua magazines and vice versa?

@waveslayer, which mag did you use to tweak in order to feed your short magnum cartridge reliably?
I used just the standard. DT only has 2 kinds of mags for the SRS. Standard and magnum.

For my SAUM I can use Magnum no problem, it's just not ideal. Standard mag with bent out lips works better.

I used just the standard. DT only has 2 kinds of mags for the SRS. Standard and magnum.

For my SAUM I can use Magnum no problem, it's just not ideal. Standard mag with bent out lips works better.
They show three on their website with all three having a different part number.
Short action, long action, and norma.

I would have thought the LA magazine would be the best in order to take advantage of the longer bullets and gained powder space. Of course if it won’t mag feed from them then its a no go for me. May its best to stick with the shorter OAL and find where it shoots.

They show three on their website with all three having a different part number.
Short action, long action, and norma.

I would have thought the LA magazine would be the best in order to take advantage of the longer bullets and gained powder space. Of course if it won’t mag feed from them then its a no go for me. May its best to stick with the shorter OAL and find where it shoots.

News to me.... so not sure, but I run 2 mags. Out of my magnums I run 6.5 SAUM, 300 PRC, 300 WM, 338 Norma, .338 Norma AI. Standard I run my 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5x47 Lapua. And with bent feed lips the SAU.

Reactions: wade2big
I haven't used the Norma specific mag, but this is one of my 300 NM reloads (230gr Berger OTM, 3.600" length) in the long action mag. Feeds just fine for me, but your mileage may vary depending on bullet, cartridge length, etc.

Attachments

• PXL_20221231_012716461.jpg
    PXL_20221231_012716461.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 48
I haven't used the Norma specific mag, but this is one of my 300 NM reloads (230gr Berger OTM, 3.600" length) in the long action mag. Feeds just fine for me, but your mileage may vary depending on bullet, cartridge length, etc.
I'm running 338NM from my "300wm" mags with no issue

@Georgedubya I ran 108 ELD-M today with no issue. I think I've run about 600 rounds of it through my A2 at this point. Don't recall any issues other than having to give it a slap to get it to lock into battery. I am not running a raceway plug/bolt stop and have used 10 round mags exclusively

I have heard that the .50 BMG HTIs have had issues running ball & other MILSPEC ammo. Have any of you running .50 BMG experienced this?

My SAC 32” Bartlein barrel will not run Federal Ball ammo or Thunder Ammo 770 grain solids. Bolt has to be hammered open. Hornady ammo runs fine and so do my reloads with new RWS brass, after I bump the shoulders back .002”.

I avoid shooting that kind of ammo through my 40 inch Lilje. However, it shoots the American eagle 660 grain just fine when I run an occasional box through it. I bet you they board you a match chamber that is a bit tight for extracting the mill surp stuff. Either that or it’s too hot. Tear one apart and see what’s in there

Reactions: 232593
I avoid shooting that kind of ammo through my 40 inch Lilje. However, it shoots the American eagle 660 grain just fine when I run an occasional box through it. I bet you they board you a match chamber that is a bit tight for extracting the mill surp stuff. Either that or it’s too hot. Tear one apart and see what’s in there
Chamber is extremely tight. SAC reamed it out .003” more so I hope that helps.

I’m wondering if DT factory barrels have a match/tight chamber as well?

Reactions: secondofangle2
I emailed Proof Research to ask if they had any interest or considered manufacturing stainless and carbon barrels for the Desert Tech rifles. I'm curious if any of you would be a buyer if they come in as an affordable and readily available alternative at least for some of the more popular cartridges and lengths for the short and long handguards? There probably isn't enough Desert Tech shooters out there to make sense although they make barrels for the DD5 rifles. I would be a buyer myself.

Edit: They got back to me already and said they used to offer blanks but discontinued due to low sales just as I figured. I wouldn't be interested in blanks anyhow.

Special Purpose Rifles used to offer Proof Carbon Fiber .375 CT HTI barrels. I have not seen them in stock for ages, I guess we know why now.

Do you avoid Thunder Ammo as well? If so why? Just curious.

Special Purpose Rifles used to offer Proof Carbon Fiber .375 CT HTI barrels. I have not seen them in stock for ages, I guess we know why now.
Special Purpose Rifles bought all Proof’s leftover blanks. The whole lot per the Proof’s rep that emailed me.

My particular barrel shoots lights out and it has a limited lifespan so the last thing I’m gonna do is shoot non-serious 660 FMJ through it. That’s for plinking in an AR-50.
Makes sense regarding the ball ammo.

I was referring to the 770 & 802 grain brass solids Thunder Ammo sells.

Makes sense regarding the ball ammo.

I was referring to the 770 & 802 grain brass solids Thunder Ammo sells.
I have never shot a solid through my 50.

If you have RWS brass/primers and AMAX I’d say you’re on the right track.

And no I’ve never known a factory DT barrel to not shoot mil surplus

I haven't seen or heard anything yet, but it's totally doable. I would guess it's just a matter of component availability at this point (reamers, fast blanks, etc).

Looks like Eric is offering them...
1673475292026.png

Last edited:
Reactions: M77
Give him a call. He sources cut rifled barrels from K&P so I'd expect he could get that kind of fast twist.

Question for those more knowledgable than I in DT. Is it possible to get a blank HTI bolt and then have it machined to handle a .338 Lapua so a .338 or Tubbs XC can be used with a HTI.

I doubt they will sell you a blank, but the HTI bolts may have interchangeable heads like the SRS bolt. That means theoretically someone could make a .338LM compatible bolt head for the HTI, but it’s probably not practical.

Question for those more knowledgable than I in DT. Is it possible to get a blank HTI bolt and then have it machined to handle a .338 Lapua so a .338 or Tubbs XC can be used with a HTI.

Good question. I know the HTIs are much larger in diameter, like 1.6” or so. I sounds like a question for SAC since they have the experience creating a custom bolt head for their 223 conversions. It sounds like that’s what you would need; a custom bolt head for your HTI, assuming the HTI bolt extractors are even in the right spot. I doubt DT would sell you an HTI bolt head with the bolt face unmilled for a variety of business and legal reasons.

Guys I need a VARGET load for a SAC 223 conversion 22.5" 1;1.77 twist. I had a superb load: 25.5 grains of RL15 loaded to 2.50" COAL (mag length) in hornady (high capacity thin walled) brass, about 100.7% case capacity according to QL, with a 75 ELD-M. 3000+ fps (got hotter with temp, one of the downfalls of RL15, but it's a 223 so who cares). This load got me consistent hits on an 18" plate at 1150 yards. But yesterday, I made a huge boo boo and poured 1/2 pound of Accurate 2015 into a jug of 8# of RL15 thus ruining about $300 of unobtanium powder; my final and only jug. Time to go to VARGET, ordered 16# from PV where remarkably its in stock. I'm thinking 25 grains compressed load (103% or thereabouts). Thoughts? Experience?

Short and final answer is NO.

Look at the R&D SAC had to do to make the 223 bolt head. THey won't sell you the bold head alone because they need to recoup the costs. How much could they be? Well, enough that they have said THEY WILL NOT MAKE A LEFT HAND ONE! If it were so easy, they'd just reverse their CAD drawings and rock and roll, right?

There's more than machining, there's heat treating and other things.

Guys, get a fucking 338 LM and be satisfied or buy an HTI.
Yea I got a quote for $2285 that's way to much. You can get a 22 creed barrel and be happy with that set up

Guys I need a VARGET load for a SAC 223 conversion 22.5" 1;1.77 twist. I had a superb load: 25.5 grains of RL15 loaded to 2.50" COAL (mag length) in hornady (high capacity thin walled) brass, about 100.7% case capacity according to QL, with a 75 ELD-M. 3000+ fps (got hotter with temp, one of the downfalls of RL15, but it's a 223 so who cares). This load got me consistent hits on an 18" plate at 1150 yards. But yesterday, I made a huge boo boo and poured 1/2 pound of Accurate 2015 into a jug of 8# of RL15 thus ruining about $300 of unobtanium powder; my final and only jug. Time to go to VARGET, ordered 16# from PV where remarkably its in stock. I'm thinking 25 grains compressed load (103% or thereabouts). Thoughts? Experience?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230116_143204_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230116_143204_Chrome.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 30
24g varget, lapua brass, 77smk, lapua brass, 2.34” coal
Thank you! given that my Hornady brass has about 2 more grains capacity and I'm loading to 2.495 COAL, I think the 25 grain load I'm going to try will work just fine with the 75

Reactions: Ogbybay
With my SAC .223 kit (24" 1:7.5) I run 24.5 gr Varget, Lapua brass, cci 450, and a 77gr Berger OTM set 0.01 of the lands. It's been an extremely accurate combination.
wow if that's not hot, I'm going to be fine with 25 grains. I was tempted to go to 25.5...maybe next batch if this batch shows no pressure

Reactions: ThirdEye
Is anyone actually running a 300 blackout conversion? I’d love one, but not for what it’d cost for a barrel.