• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

My 416 barrett conversion kit wouldn't fit in my chassis, the other 3 conversions did. I sent it to DT, they worked on the chassis to get it to fit. Sent it back to me. It went from 3/4" groups with the 50bmg barrel to vertical stringing 12"-14". Changed the scope to make sure it wasn't that. It wasn't so I sent it back again. This probably went on 3 month's or so iirc with warranty and various others including Nick Young. I was told they'd take care of it and in the end, they sent me a new chassis. It was definitely aggravating. I figure like everywhere else in the country, no one wants to get a job and work anymore. I'm just curious if there's something in the clamping/vise area that can cause this.
I have also noticed that the .50 BMG barrels they make will only run certain factory ammo.

Also considering a magnum bolt and one of them 7mag for a future project next year for 1600-2000yrds.
Right now I’m considering 7-300PRC with the 190 ATIP. I am correct thinking that it should be no problem with the standard LA magazines for feeding and coal.

I've only ran Hornady thru mine. I've had 1 round that wouldn't chamber, haven't tried anything else though.
The Hornady AMAX loadings work fine but other vendor AMAX loadings have issues. I was not able to get RWS or RUAG to chamber in mine.

I have also had issues with desert tech and HSM .375 CT ammo. The HSM CBTOL was .030” too long (but chambered in other rifles). And the Desert Tech ammo was way too hot, I had to hammer open the bolt. But Desert Tech’s Tech Support said my barrel was to spec. Now I have the vertical stringing issue that may or may not be the optic as I’m now finding out. Really sucks because I just developed an ATIP load and squired over 550 ATIPS for it.

My 416 barrett conversion kit wouldn't fit in my chassis, the other 3 conversions did. I sent it to DT, they worked on the chassis to get it to fit. Sent it back to me. It went from 3/4" groups with the 50bmg barrel to vertical stringing 12"-14". Changed the scope to make sure it wasn't that. It wasn't so I sent it back again. This probably went on 3 month's or so iirc with warranty and various others including Nick Young. I was told they'd take care of it and in the end, they sent me a new chassis. It was definitely aggravating. I figure like everywhere else in the country, no one wants to get a job and work anymore. I'm just curious if there's something in the clamping/vise area that can cause this.
Did your vertical stringing issue start immediately or gradually and did it have times where it would ALMOST go back to normal?

Did your vertical stringing issue start immediately or gradually and did it have times where it would ALMOST go back to normal?
It started as soon as I got it back. First shot would be good but then would vertical string a few inches farther up for each shot. Windage would stay close to correct. The other calibers would vertical string also but not nearly as bad.

Reactions: 232593
A while back I was asking about the differences between the two different LA desert tech magazines that are offered. I picked up one of each and here they are.

338NM, 300NM, 7mm RM
B824F7A3-C068-4924-81C2-45E56CDA6E1E.jpeg

338LM, 300RUM, 300WM
B29257BE-A939-428F-897D-EBC60D888145.jpeg

338LM on left, 338NM on right
F5C6C190-0855-41A9-86D6-2E6AAD32CE07.jpeg

It started as soon as I got it back. First shot would be good but then would vertical string a few inches farther up for each shot. Windage would stay close to correct. The other calibers would vertical string also but not nearly as bad.
I contacted their tech support the other day and they sent me an RMA. So could this be a common defect maybe?

are there some quality control concerns with DT SRS models ?? i have a 338 LPM bought in 2018, by far my favorite hammer, I wanted to get one of the newer SRS Standard models, still reliable or go Barrett MRAD ?? any first hand experience would be much appreciated.

Reactions: 232593
this is not good at all, are these few and far between experiences or a common occurrence now ??

are there some quality control concerns with DT SRS models ?? i have a 338 LPM bought in 2018, by far my favorite hammer, I wanted to get one of the newer SRS Standard models, still reliable or go Barrett MRAD ?? any first hand experience would be much appreciated.
I have both and love both. I dig my MRAD... but then I pull out my SRS and love how compact it is. I'm only running calibers in MRAD that I don't have in my SRS. That way I'm forced to use both

My old Gen 1 is still holding up well after 14 years but last year I added a new M2. The build quality on the new rifle actually seems more refined and so far haven’t had any issues. But I have heard of more HTIs having issues in the past 8 years or so than any SRS, but that’s not a hard metric.

Reactions: Blazin and 232593
I’ve had a MDRX and an SRS.

My MDRX wasn’t my favorite, but quality and function was spot on. Used it to ring 1/4 sized IPSC one-handed while doing mock-first-aid on a buddy. At 300yds. Fun trick. Only sold it because moved to a shit state for gun laws. Would have LOVED the micron. 308 had a… brisk recoil impulse while suppressed.

My SRS A2 is flawless. Got it in 2020. 3 conversions including SAC 223 and DT 6.5 and 338LM.

It is my Gungnir. My right hand. Will not miss.

My dope out to any range for soft target I want to engage is perfect. Elk at 725. Moose at 535. Steel to a mile readily. Just… feels right.

I’d buy again.

I’ve had a MDRX and an SRS.

My MDRX wasn’t my favorite, but quality and function was spot on. Used it to ring 1/4 sized IPSC one-handed while doing mock-first-aid on a buddy. At 300yds. Fun trick. Only sold it because moved to a shit state for gun laws. Would have LOVED the micron. 308 had a… brisk recoil impulse while suppressed.

My SRS A2 is flawless. Got it in 2020. 3 conversions including SAC 223 and DT 6.5 and 338LM.

It is my Gungnir. My right hand. Will not miss.

My dope out to any range for soft target I want to engage is perfect. Elk at 725. Moose at 535. Steel to a mile readily. Just… feels right.

I’d buy again.
He meant the MRAD not the MDR debacle by DT 😉

this is not good at all, are these few and far between experiences or a common occurrence now ??
I hope it’s just my shitty luck and not a common occurrence. The .408 w/420 grain bullets was excellent for almost 4 years and I had just got a load for the .375 with the ATIPS almost finalized.

Reactions: Andrews50
I contacted their tech support the other day and they sent me an RMA. So could this be a common defect maybe?
I think mine was caused by the process they used to try to fix it. The barrel extension should've been turned down instead of messing with the chassis. I was told the process they used on mine the first time, wouldn't be used anymore. That was the only reason I sent it back to begin with. Just to get the 408ct barrel to fit into the chassis.

Do you have five, six or even seven barrels for your SRS? Do you have an unholy compulsion to make sure everything you own can be locked in a fitted transport case? Do you have entirely too much time and/or money on your hands? Have you ever wondered what it would take to make a rifle case weigh 120lbs or more? Does "unwieldy" even have a definition in your universe? These and many more questions will be answered on the next episode of, SOAP.

Keep in mind this is not really designed to be a transport case. I mean, I do occasionally drag that heavy bitch to the car and stab it into the back seat of a 2001 Mustang Cobra because it won't fit in the trunk but that's not what it's "for". It's a storage case meant to keep all the bits together. I have a smaller but extremely similar case that I also need to redesign the case foam for that is intended to be my travel/transport case that doesn't hold as much of or the same stuff as this one.

Room for: 1x Desert Tech SRS soft case w/ backpack straps, 1x SRS M2 (this one is cut out for a Steiner M7 mounted in 1.5" rings) including up to a 28" barrel + 2" brake with a bolt and 1x long or short mag installed in the chassis, 8x additional long mags, 8x additional short mags, 4x additional bolts, srs operator maintenance kit, 2x 10rd boxes of Lapua .338LM (or whatever you like such as: FTS camera bits, flip caps, batteries, condoms, soy supplements, personal wand massagers, etc...), PVS-30, almost any bipod you might want, 2x additional 26.5" OAL barrels, 2x additional 28.5" OAL barrels, 2x additional 30.5" OAL barrels, 2x cutouts for Surefire/Kiji weapon lights/heads/bodies (or flip caps/sundries/tampons/etc...), plus 2x of what I call "tevs" slots. Tevs slots can each take, well, whatever: 1 recoil pad + 3 recoil pad spacers, other combinations of spacers and pads or 1x 20rd box of literally anything up to and including .338LM.

Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 8.38.14 AM.png

No. I don't think I'll actually order this setup because I'm down to 5 barrels and likely going down to 4 barrels soon. If you wanted to be able to put 30 grand in a single box though, this might be just the ticket. I did find a few optimizations that I can do to my prior design though. The steps in the barrel cutouts in the last design were fine in the drawing but that didn't translate well for the machines that do the actual cutting so I rejiggered that. The PVS-30 almost never accompanies the rifle and it ended up easier to not have it mounted on the rifle before being put in the case when it was going to join us on the journey. The prior case was only cut 3.5" down leaving 2" of unused depth and I couldn't get the soft case in with everything else. Whoopsie! This configuration uses the soft case as additional topside padding. What I'll probably do for the one I end up ordering is knocking out one of the barrel cutout stacks, reorganizing the cutouts for the short mags and instead of using the soft case as top padding, I may chop the whole top far enough to let me put the soft case under the case foam. We'll see.

Previous layout:
screen-shot-2022-05-06-at-1.35.17-pm.png

The previous layout, as you can see, was not 100% optimal largely because I didn't have everything on-hand when setting it up and so I had to guesstimate quite a number of dimensions. My prior version also held only 4 spare barrels and a 2-fewer magazines and is near or at 100lbs depending on that day's particular load-out.

I hope so. I really like the quick change system. I try to keep in mind every manufacturer has or has had issues. Once the barrel is locked and clamped down, I don't know what could cause it.

A good weekend..... :)

Attachments

• 20230205_101811.jpgwww.jpg
    20230205_101811.jpgwww.jpg
    962.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20230205_101834.jpgwww.jpg
    20230205_101834.jpgwww.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 20230205_101952.jpgwww.jpg
    20230205_101952.jpgwww.jpg
    845.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20230205_102945.jpgwww.jpg
    20230205_102945.jpgwww.jpg
    861.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230205_103014.jpgwww.jpg
    20230205_103014.jpgwww.jpg
    908.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 20230205_103032.jpgwww.jpg
    20230205_103032.jpgwww.jpg
    879.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20230205_103329.jpgwww.jpg
    20230205_103329.jpgwww.jpg
    718.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230205_104103.jpgwww.jpg
    20230205_104103.jpgwww.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230205_104106.jpgwww.jpg
    20230205_104106.jpgwww.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230205_104113.jpgwww.jpg
    20230205_104113.jpgwww.jpg
    465 KB · Views: 67
  • DESERT TECH HTI 50BMG COVERT.jpg
    DESERT TECH HTI 50BMG COVERT.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
How is ya’lls return to zero when switching barrels? I’m about to test mine and see how it does.

Excuse my ignorance here, but is there a part of this monopod that I should be putting loctite on?
I watched the DT video on the install and the monopod they installed looked different. I am worried if it is applied to the big long thread I will lose micro adjustment.This is for an SRS A2. Thanks!
71CA513D-EB2A-4AF3-8C7E-A7CFA97D7047.jpeg

Excuse my ignorance here, but is there a part of this monopod that I should be putting loctite on?
I watched the DT video on the install and the monopod they installed looked different. I am worried if it is applied to the big long thread I will lose micro adjustment.This is for an SRS A2. Thanks!
View attachment 8068631
That part just threads into the receiver. Is the tube installed in the receiver? The tube gets loktite

I'm embarrassed that this will seem like a Newb question for a guy shooting DT for 10 years but I never carried my SRS hunting till last week (shot a Utah elk in the face at 300 yards!), and I had to use paracord as a sling attachment on the monopod and handguard. What is the go-to way to mount a sling on an SRS-A1? I see M-lock thingies on the rear of the stock, but nothing up front. Pardon my ignorance. Pic for apologies. All ten shot groups with factory 308 barrel and SAC 223 barrel. Other one was an 8-shot group.

Attachments

• D92C07FB-7753-470B-AD1F-C020AE345038.jpeg
    D92C07FB-7753-470B-AD1F-C020AE345038.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 5D467F48-37E3-45A4-8EBE-DC374C024726.jpeg
    5D467F48-37E3-45A4-8EBE-DC374C024726.jpeg
    671.4 KB · Views: 85
I'm embarrassed that this will seem like a Newb question for a guy shooting DT for 10 years but I never carried my SRS hunting till last week (shot a Utah elk in the face at 300 yards!), and I had to use paracord as a sling attachment on the monopod and handguard. What is the go-to way to mount a sling on an SRS-A1? I see M-lock thingies on the rear of the stock, but nothing up front. Pardon my ignorance. Pic for apologies. All ten shot groups with factory 308 barrel and SAC 223 barrel. Other one was an 8-shot group.
Looks like you have QD studs in the back. Probably another towards your front in the handguard. I run a QD sling. Think it is a TAB PRS.

Do you have five, six or even seven barrels for your SRS? Do you have an unholy compulsion to make sure everything you own can be locked in a fitted transport case? Do you have entirely too much time and/or money on your hands? Have you ever wondered what it would take to make a rifle case weigh 120lbs or more? Does "unwieldy" even have a definition in your universe? These and many more questions will be answered on the next episode of, SOAP.

Keep in mind this is not really designed to be a transport case. I mean, I do occasionally drag that heavy bitch to the car and stab it into the back seat of a 2001 Mustang Cobra because it won't fit in the trunk but that's not what it's "for". It's a storage case meant to keep all the bits together. I have a smaller but extremely similar case that I also need to redesign the case foam for that is intended to be my travel/transport case that doesn't hold as much of or the same stuff as this one.

Room for: 1x Desert Tech SRS soft case w/ backpack straps, 1x SRS M2 (this one is cut out for a Steiner M7 mounted in 1.5" rings) including up to a 28" barrel + 2" brake with a bolt and 1x long or short mag installed in the chassis, 8x additional long mags, 8x additional short mags, 4x additional bolts, srs operator maintenance kit, 2x 10rd boxes of Lapua .338LM (or whatever you like such as: FTS camera bits, flip caps, batteries, condoms, soy supplements, personal wand massagers, etc...), PVS-30, almost any bipod you might want, 2x additional 26.5" OAL barrels, 2x additional 28.5" OAL barrels, 2x additional 30.5" OAL barrels, 2x cutouts for Surefire/Kiji weapon lights/heads/bodies (or flip caps/sundries/tampons/etc...), plus 2x of what I call "tevs" slots. Tevs slots can each take, well, whatever: 1 recoil pad + 3 recoil pad spacers, other combinations of spacers and pads or 1x 20rd box of literally anything up to and including .338LM.

View attachment 8067481

No. I don't think I'll actually order this setup because I'm down to 5 barrels and likely going down to 4 barrels soon. If you wanted to be able to put 30 grand in a single box though, this might be just the ticket. I did find a few optimizations that I can do to my prior design though. The steps in the barrel cutouts in the last design were fine in the drawing but that didn't translate well for the machines that do the actual cutting so I rejiggered that. The PVS-30 almost never accompanies the rifle and it ended up easier to not have it mounted on the rifle before being put in the case when it was going to join us on the journey. The prior case was only cut 3.5" down leaving 2" of unused depth and I couldn't get the soft case in with everything else. Whoopsie! This configuration uses the soft case as additional topside padding. What I'll probably do for the one I end up ordering is knocking out one of the barrel cutout stacks, reorganizing the cutouts for the short mags and instead of using the soft case as top padding, I may chop the whole top far enough to let me put the soft case under the case foam. We'll see.

Previous layout:
screen-shot-2022-05-06-at-1.35.17-pm.png

The previous layout, as you can see, was not 100% optimal largely because I didn't have everything on-hand when setting it up and so I had to guesstimate quite a number of dimensions. My prior version also held only 4 spare barrels and a 2-fewer magazines and is near or at 100lbs depending on that day's particular load-out.
Your rifle is upside down in that case fwiw

On topic pics

771A3598-91E3-42BE-B528-CA00479B49AC.jpeg
D705E32D-741C-400F-82A6-EA1FB33FF692.jpeg
A0BCD138-E879-4336-8189-4DA99CB78ECB.jpeg

I'm embarrassed that this will seem like a Newb question for a guy shooting DT for 10 years but I never carried my SRS hunting till last week (shot a Utah elk in the face at 300 yards!), and I had to use paracord as a sling attachment on the monopod and handguard. What is the go-to way to mount a sling on an SRS-A1? I see M-lock thingies on the rear of the stock, but nothing up front. Pardon my ignorance. .

Attachments

• qd.png
    qd.png
    911.3 KB · Views: 108
Excellent, do you have pics of your elk?

How is ya’lls return to zero when switching barrels? I’m about to test mine and see how it does.
Normally it was flawless until the current issue (scope or chassis not sure which). I kept the optic 0’d to the .408 and the .375 w/390 grain ATIPs was 4” right at 100 meters. That’s for my HTI, I don’t own an SRS so I can’t speak to that.

Do you mean offsets for different barrels? Just record them on the stock and in your ballistics calculator. Or do you mean the next time you install the same barrel? About one click one direction or another, max

Perfect al vertical. All repeatable.

I figure it’s closing a zipper so I torque back to front for install
Interesting. Thats opposite of what desert tech recommends. Apparently it doesn’t matter and I never figured it did.

Reactions: BurtG
Interesting. Thats opposite of what desert tech recommends. Apparently it doesn’t matter and I never figured it did.
There is a video out there of an HTI user stating back to front for .50 BMG. Or at least that is what he stated Desert Tech told him. Which is odd because my HTI manual says front to rear also. But it’s several years old.

Ok what grain bullet did you zap him with? I ask because I am interested in the terminal effects of different projectiles at various distances.
338LM 285 ELD-M at 2915 from muzzle. I was supposed to be the "long range guy" but was the only one with a shot so I took a head shot as the alpha cow crested a hill.

My buddy shot one with my gun too (they were at 350 by then and he was not confident in his 7mm with an old 2-6 Leupold on it). Double lung but the bullet must have fragmented because one piece perforated stomach too. FOrtunately it was just undigested grass in there and didn't spoil the meat.

Reactions: BurtG and 232593