• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

For clarity - 16.5" is the minimum length for Covert handguards and 22.5" is the minimum for the others*

* HTI not included

After cycling through a stupid amount of rifles including 2 Desert techs( an A1 and an A1 covert), a TRG-22, an AI AX, and a handful of customs I’ve come to the realization that I never should of sold/ traded the SRS A1’s that I had.

With that said, I’m looking at jumping back in to the fold with the newest gen and the M2 intrigues me the most. Does anyone know the weight difference between the standard A2 chassis and the M2? It will be my everything rifle and I’m curious what kind of weight I’d be looking at with the M2 chassis and a light weight 300wm kit.

Planning on getting 22” SAC 223, 22” DT 308, and lightweight 300wm kits that would cover pretty much everything I like to do.

Reactions: PRDRIVER
The M2 weighs pretty much the same as a standard A2.

I really like the M2 overall for long range shooting. The integrated top rail and ARCA handguard are really handy for using clip-on devices and tripod shooting, but the potential limitation is that you can't swap the handguard for a shorter Covert model. For some people that's a deal breaker, so it's better to go with an A2 (swapping handguards is trivial with the A2), but for most it's probably no big deal.

Reactions: BurtG
After cycling through a stupid amount of rifles including 2 Desert techs( an A1 and an A1 covert), a TRG-22, an AI AX, and a handful of customs I’ve come to the realization that I never should of sold/ traded the SRS A1’s that I had.

With that said, I’m looking at jumping back in to the fold with the newest gen and the M2 intrigues me the most. Does anyone know the weight difference between the standard A2 chassis and the M2? It will be my everything rifle and I’m curious what kind of weight I’d be looking at with the M2 chassis and a light weight 300wm kit.

Planning on getting 22” SAC 223, 22” DT 308, and lightweight 300wm kits that would cover pretty much everything I like to do.
I'll put some chassis on the scale here. We have all of the above items in stock at the shop. Let me know when you're ready to jump back into the SRS platform.

The M2 weighs pretty much the same as a standard A2.

I really like the M2 overall for long range shooting. The integrated top rail and ARCA handguard are really handy for using clip-on devices and tripod shooting, but the potential limitation is that you can't swap the handguard for a shorter Covert model. For some people that's a deal breaker, so it's better to go with an A2 (swapping handguards is trivial with the A2), but for most it's probably no big deal.
Having had the A1 in standard and Covert already I really don’t find a use for the covert length for my purposes. A standard length forearm with a 22” barrel is plenty short for me. And since I’m in Canada I can’t play with suppressors, so 16-18” barrels with muzzle breaks aren’t my idea of fun.

Really leaning towards the M2, curious what @PRDRIVER comes up with for weights.

so 16-18” barrels with muzzle breaks aren’t my idea of fun.
Pfffft, whatever. You clearly haven't witnessed the power of a fully armed and operational 18" .338LM barrel.

1694462950935.png

Maybe that wasn’t the right wording haha, it does look like fun for a few shots, just not long term. What load/ velocities do you get with your 18” 338 barrel?

There is a used A1 covert for sale that I could grab that would come with a 16” 308 kit and a 18” 338 kit but I just figure the standard length is already compact, seems like a lot of velocity loss.

The A1 covert that I used to have had a 22” 308 kit on it so I’ve never played with the really short stuff.

Having had the A1 in standard and Covert already I really don’t find a use for the covert length for my purposes. A standard length forearm with a 22” barrel is plenty short for me. And since I’m in Canada I can’t play with suppressors, so 16-18” barrels with muzzle breaks aren’t my idea of fun.

Really leaning towards the M2, curious what @PRDRIVER comes up with for weights.
A2 is 4 lbs 15.5 oz - let's just call it 5 lbs
M2 is 5 lbs 6.5 oz - It's essentially one ounce shy of 5.5 lbs.
We also offer an A2 will a full length rail that is priced right between an A2 and M2. It's 2 oz lighter than the M2. Its for the guys that want a full length rail and either don't care for the built in Area 419 rail built into the hand guard or want one of our full length rails that go from the end of the hand guard and reflexes back over the stock panels to the trigger guard.

Maybe that wasn’t the right wording haha, it does look like fun for a few shots, just not long term. What load/ velocities do you get with your 18” 338 barrel?
Honestly, it's not that great and next to the .510 Whisper it is probably the least shot barrel I have for the Gen 1. I've had it since 2012 and it's only got about 450 rounds on it still, but it will throw 300gr bullets at 2500 fps - so no slouch.

Ok so who hunts a MRAD?? Figured I’d break this out to check weight and it’s heftier than I thought with 338 lapua

But on serious note, still very interested in the 300 prc CF 22.5 barrel weight for my SRS.

Attachments

• B23125F8-5BB2-4AED-A432-209FF07A7644.jpeg
    B23125F8-5BB2-4AED-A432-209FF07A7644.jpeg
    638.8 KB · Views: 60
Ok so who hunts a MRAD?? Figured I’d break this out to check weight and it’s heftier than I thought with 338 lapua

But on serious note, still very interested in the 300 prc CF 22.5 barrel weight for my SRS.
Sorry left the shop a little early to pick my boy up from soccer. I’ll try to remember to get a 22.5” carbon barrel on the scale tomorrow.

MRADs are a little on the piggy side. That’s pretty much double the weight of an A2.

Reactions: M77
Well I’ve just sold my MRAD and bought an M2 with 308 and 300NM conversion kits. @PRDRIVER I’ll be in touch for barrel extensions when my wife lets me back into the house.

Reactions: M77 and PRDRIVER

3 lb 10 oz. We could probably take off another 8 oz by fluting the barrel shank like DT has done.

Is anyone else getting radio silence from DT’s warranty dept?

In the past it’s been pretty straightforward getting issues taken care of fairly promptly, but this spring I bought a new short action mag and right away the case length insert came loose. I’ve left phone messages, used the warranty form on the website, and tried emailing them directly to get it fixed - and heard nothing. Maybe I’m a ghost, but this seems pretty weird to me?

Reactions: secondofangle2

In the past it’s been pretty straightforward getting issues taken care of fairly promptly, but this spring I bought a new short action mag and right away the case length insert came loose. I’ve left phone messages, used the warranty form on the website, and tried emailing them directly to get it fixed - and heard nothing. Maybe I’m a ghost, but this seems pretty weird to me?
Give me a call on Monday and I’ll see if I can help you out.

I am new to this sub group but have recently dealt with Desert Tech, specifically Abir Levy in their warranty department. I had recently picked up a DT SRS A1 in trade for a Ruger Precision and about $1500 in misc gun parts. It had a broken trigger, a horrible paint job, and a few other broken parts that Abir notified me about along with it being extremely dirty within its chassis from paint prep from its previous paint job. It specifically states on their website page under warranty information that the rifle must be sent in cleaned or a $50 charge will be assessed. I knew this but didn't want to take apart it's chassis and possibly break more shit. Admittedly I didn't know much about Desert Tech or the SRS but I wanted a bigger caliber rifle.

So here's where it gets worth telling, and sorry for it being a story, but this company is pretty amazing!

While I was doing my homework and researching this trade, I read an article about Desert Tech where they refused a Pakistani Army Deal for the possibility of their rifles ending up in the wrong hands and being used against American Service members. I personally thought that was very righteous and I like that. Yada yada yada, I am sure you guys have heard all this before and I apologize but I haven't had the chance to read all 300+ pages of this thread but it seems you fellas approve of the SRS.

So I decided to call the company because now I was interested after perusing the website and reading about their Lifetime Warranty. So I called in and spoke to a gentleman named Leland. This was lasted last month (AUG23). We spent 5-10min discussing the company, the rifle, and the future and I knew I was in and taking the deal. So I sweetened it up so the offering party would jump on the deal, even though the gun condition was shit and the paint job sucked, because Desert Tech said they had my back.

So back to the warranty, I secured the deal and filed a warranty claim. I was contacted by Abir Levy in the Warranty Department for Desert Tech. He listened to my issues and sent me an RMA. He answered all emails along the way very promptly and this was the best method of comms has calls where met with the answering machine. Once he got the rifle I had it back in one week, and this was the best part, how that week went. This abomination is what I sent him.
DT SRS A1.jpg

And this is what I got back.
10 Desert Tech SRS A1.jpg

Here it is at the shop yesterday when I took it back to show them how freaking Outstanding Desert Tech is!
20230915_115724.jpg

All they charged me was $100 and it was for the stripping and refinishing of my gun, to get it back to its original state, which I had asked them to do! Abir made me feel like Desert Tech family the whole way and even sent me a nice Desert Tech hat. The cleaning, parts, repair, and new parts to get me back to 100% were all on the house and they ship fast.

Desert Tech definitely earned my business. Okay I will STFU and get to reading the 300+ pages. Take care.

ETA... Abir also chucked those hideously painted 1913 rails out and sent me some new ones, gratis... Amazing experience!
10 Desert Tech SRS A1.jpg

Last edited:
I’m glad you had a great experience with Desert Tech warranty.

I have two thoughts: first, I don’t think Desert Tech warranty department ought to be spending their time and their money stripping his shit paint job off of a rifle, so the new owner can benefit from that. Nothing against you, I just think it is literally above and beyond and into territory, they ought not be entering.

My only other thought is that I don’t think others should expect the same kind of service, and I am aware of others, struggling to have much simpler matters addressed. Perhaps because Desert Tech is too busy, stripping rattle can spray off of used guns.

Reactions: Bradu

I kind of gave up on desert tech when I couldn't even get them to answer phone calls or emails when I needed to buy the tool for changing forearms. Luckily, they have dealers like Special Purpose Rifles that are able to help people out.

I’m glad you had a great experience with Desert Tech warranty.

I have two thoughts: first, I don’t think Desert Tech warranty department ought to be spending their time and their money stripping his shit paint job off of a rifle, so the new owner can benefit from that. Nothing against you, I just think it is literally above and beyond and into territory, they ought not be entering.

My only other thought is that I don’t think others should expect the same kind of service, and I am aware of others, struggling to have much simpler matters addressed. Perhaps because Desert Tech is too busy, stripping rattle can spray off of used guns.
I am the new owner and the shitty paint job is what I took ownership of. The warranty issue was the trigger and only the trigger. Upon inspection Desert Tech also discovered a few other deficiencies. The deficiencies were all corrected. Since there were no costs associated with the repairs; and after budgeting $300 for parts to correct the issues that were the previous owners causing, I was in a position to inquire about factory finishing and restoration. The common sense thing to do I figured was ask if the manufacturer could factory prep and re-finish the gun and help me restore it to its original state. It wasn't the warranty dept who did the stripping and refinishing but maybe that conclusion wasn't obvious.... The gun had to leave warranty, go to paint and refinishing and that's why I had to pay. These are exactly the type of services a manufacturer should provide so not sure why you feel differently.

Did they give me a discount, I am sure they did and I appreciate it! Maybe it was Military, maybe it was me STFU and being a polite good person and asking for help instead of demanding it, who knows but I am definitely 100% appreciative and feel blessed...

Honestly fellas, I can barely afford to own this rifle and who knows how often I will get to shoot it but I knew better than to pass it up. I know I am blessed to to become its owner and maybe this all adds up to why Desert Tech also helped me out.

It just sounds very misleading to make it sound like warranty did all this work for me while neglecting other people's guns @secondofangle2 and I'm sure you know this, I knew this and I guess maybe I shouldn't have assumed everyone else knew this, but it was definitely a Desert Tech team effort in my opinion.

Apparently I misunderstood but it sure sounded like you sent your gun in all fucked up and painted up and they restored it to like new for you for like $100.

Maybe I just got lost scrolling through the two page post lol.

Apparently I misunderstood but it sure sounded like you sent your gun in all fucked up and painted up and they restored it to like new for you for like $100.
Nope, you hit it on the head! How much should they have charged me? You would think a fellow gun owner would be happy for the few of us that get the opportunity to get a great experience and great deal from the manufacturer but nope, you'd rather turn it into a what about me situation and slander Desert Tech. I wasnt even trying to brag, I am honestly just happy to be a part of the club and lucky to own an SRS and decided to chime in because I noticed another user mention Desert Techs warranty dept MIA.

At the end of the day Desert Tech is a business and they did charge me. This is the point I am trying to make and it wasn't all done by warranty but maybe it was done as a favor for Abir or the warranty dept or maybe I'm just lucky.

The ultimate takeaway should not be Desert Tech's warranty department is MIA, it should be that Desert Tech goes above and beyond for its customers. I would be a bit more persistent and try a few different numbers until you get ahold of someone or email them. I cannot be the only person they're taking care of and to believe that is flat out asinine.

• Haha
Reactions: Bradu
Nope, you hit it on the head! How much should they have charged me? You would think a fellow gun owner would be happy for the few of us that get the opportunity to get a great experience and great deal from the manufacturer but nope, you'd rather turn it into a what about me situation and slander Desert Tech. I wasnt even trying to brag, I am honestly just happy to be a part of the club and lucky to own an SRS and decided to chime in because I noticed another user mention Desert Techs warranty dept MIA.

At the end of the day Desert Tech is a business and they did charge me. This is the point I am trying to make and it wasn't all done by warranty but maybe it was done as a favor for Abir or the warranty dept or maybe I'm just lucky.

The ultimate takeaway should not be Desert Tech's warranty department is MIA, it should be that Desert Tech goes above and beyond for its customers. I would be a bit more persistent and try a few different numbers until you get ahold of someone or email them. I cannot be the only person they're taking care of and to believe that is flat out asinine.

Take the time to read through this whole thread and you will learn the warranty department has let quite a few people down. You think the fact that he can't get a problem resolved while the warranty department fucks around restoring your gun could have something to do with why he doesn't seem impressed with what they did for you.

If you buy something like that, why don't you send it to get cerakoted by a reputable shop. Is it because you didn't want to ruin the great deal you got😂😂😂

Reactions: GLD1980

I totally get that you're punch drunk about your rehabbed rifle, and I said I'm happy for you.

But apparently it needs repeating:

This service is not characteristic of DT warranty, others are currently having trouble;

And I doubt DT wants every Tom Dick and Harry with a mistreated gun blowing up the warranty phone lines trying to get a $100 makeover like you did, after seeing this post.

And finally, something is not slander if it's true. Oscar Wilde learned that the hard way.

Last edited:
Inconsistency is very often a hallmark of a company whose staffing, policies and processes are out of sync with the scale of their operational needs. It shows the failings caused by a little company pretending to be a big company or a big company pretending to be a small company. DT is a boutique gun company but they play in a market space dominated by people who have enough money to afford the rifle. Such people are prone to being nit picky. DT sees this and tries to provide spectacular service but that requires increased staffing to do consistently. It would seem that they need to adjust their policies and processes or their staffing levels or both if they want to keep offering top level customer service so that they can provide it evenly or they need to refine their policies and processes so that they are able to provide a lower standard of care with sufficient consistency.

I knew I was getting a rifle from a company whose service and responsiveness could be hit or miss and accepted that as part of the cost of getting a rifle that actually suited my very special needs and wants.

Inconsistency is very often a hallmark of a company whose staffing, policies and processes are out of sync with the scale of their operational needs. It shows the failings caused by a little company pretending to be a big company or a big company pretending to be a small company. DT is a boutique gun company but they play in a market space dominated by people who have enough money to afford the rifle. Such people are prone to being nit picky. DT sees this and tries to provide spectacular service but that requires increased staffing to do consistently. It would seem that they need to adjust their policies and processes or their staffing levels or both if they want to keep offering top level customer service so that they can provide it evenly or they need to refine their policies and processes so that they are able to provide a lower standard of care with sufficient consistency.

I knew I was getting a rifle from a company whose service and responsiveness could be hit or miss and accepted that as part of the cost of getting a rifle that actually suited my very special needs and wants.
That’s been my take.
The product is quite superb. The rest can be a bit hit or miss. Given patience and understanding of operational flow, it’ll work in the end, but, on a set timeline? Hit or miss.

Reactions: GLD1980
@Bradu @secondofangle2
@spamassassin

You have all brought up very good points and you're right, I definitely need to read up and gain some clarity and experience on the subject before chiming in on a situation and company many of you have years of experience with. I personally wanted my gun back to its original factory state so I could start fresh with it. I was prepared to fully pay to have this done and I was not trying to stoke the fire of animosity of current issues fellow owners have with Desert Tech. I will get to reading the past experiences others have had and learn up. I am sure you all have valid points, I just wanted to share my positive experience but I can see clearly how that is rubbing salt in fellow owner wounds and that was not my intention.

@Bradu @secondofangle2
@spamassassin

You have all brought up very good points and you're right, I definitely need to read up and gain some clarity and experience on the subject before chiming in on a situation and company many of you have years of experience with. I personally wanted my gun back to its original factory state so I could start fresh with it. I was prepared to fully pay to have this done and I was not trying to stoke the fire of animosity of current issues fellow owners have with Desert Tech. I will get to reading the past experiences others have had and learn up. I am sure you all have valid points, I just wanted to share my positive experience but I can see clearly how that is rubbing salt in fellow owner wounds and that was not my intention.
I see no issues with your post or your experience with them. You got boutique service from a boutique gun company. You bought a boutique gun. So, as far as what happened for you, that's precisely what I would expect. I also expect that they can be a little hit and miss at delivering that service level and others have expectations which are misaligned with what the reality of the situation will allow but they're stuck in the being pissed stage of the 5 stages of grief, possibly from plain old stubbornness but I'm sure there's at least one that's pissed out of a sense of entitlement. Enjoy the rifle, ignore the drama. I could name a dozen things that DT could change in how they operate which would greatly boost their position on the world stage and I have even sent some of those suggestions in with business cases stated for them. It's their monkey and their balloon though so it's their option to seize upon the free advice or not.

After being out of the precision rifle game for a few years, I'm finally jumping back in. Loved my SRS so I'm planning on the M2 and I'm looking for recommendations on where to purchase that currently have them in stock. I'd rather spend money with a small business if possible. I'm considering the FDE/FDE M2 with the 26" 6.5 creedmoor conversion kit to start out with but will eventually get another 300NM.

Picture of my last SRS at gunsite just because.
gs01.jpg

After being out of the precision rifle game for a few years, I'm finally jumping back in. Loved my SRS so I'm planning on the M2 and I'm looking for recommendations on where to purchase that currently have them in stock. I'd rather spend money with a small business if possible. I'm considering the FDE/FDE M2 with the 26" 6.5 creedmoor conversion kit to start out with but will eventually get another 300NM.

Picture of my last SRS at gunsite just because.
View attachment 8229442

Message @PRDRIVER and see what all he has in stock. He is great to deal with and has a pretty good selection.

I recognize the UTG over bore bipod on the top, but what's the one on the bottom rifle? Is that one of the two-piece jobs that mount to the side pic rails?
It’s a custom bipod Lloyd Desantis of RND Precision made for me in late 2008 when I first got the rifle. Each leg is rail mounted. It was always a bit tall but I really got a lot of use out of it. Now that I shoot clip-on NV with that rifle, I had to ditch that bipod as it interfered with mounting.

Reactions: spamassassin
Say I can’t find a .300 Norma barrel locally.

Can a standard profile (not hunter) DT factory .308 Winchester barrel be re-chambered to .300 Norma and tgen used safely?

Only thing I can think is the twist rate might not be optimal.
Get a 300 PRC if shooting factory ammo

$100 a box versus $38

On that note.
Put a 300nm kit in for my buddys antelope hunt.

Hope he doesn’t have to hike far lol. Thing is heavy. No cans allowed where he’s going.

A6BCE671-BFF9-4764-ADAD-C0D4C6C03E36.jpeg

First 2 shots out of the barrel. From 2 different shooters. At least one was anticipating recoil.

D10A92BD-A1A5-479A-9C54-CB8EC189C492.jpeg

A hair over 0.6”. Didn’t have time to shoot anymore.

Gun is a pussycat for recoil. I’ve had 223s that kicked more

Reactions: malJohann
Message @PRDRIVER and see what all he has in stock. He is great to deal with and has a pretty good selection.
Thanks for the suggestion, just finalized my order this morning! Rob was great to deal with and had a very good selection. I went with the A2 and ZCO 527. Really looking forward to seeing this scope as my last one was a Vortex HD gen II.

Reactions: Bradu and PRDRIVER
Thanks for the suggestion, just finalized my order this morning! Rob was great to deal with and had a very good selection. I went with the A2 and ZCO 527. Really looking forward to seeing this scope as my last one was a Vortex HD gen II.
The glass on the ZCO is in a different hemisphere in terms of glass quality compared to the Gen 2 razor. The only thing the scope needs improvement on is the turrets, or maybe just mine has a slight defect. They are good, very similar to NF turrets, I just think they could use a little less mush. Mine has a .05 mil play in the turrets while adjusting before they actually click and then don't always sit right on the hashmark and sometimes in-between hashmarks... The image is Huge on the ZCO, and very forgiving to look through.

Attachments

• IMG_4776.jpg
    IMG_4776.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47