• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Covert HTI 50 Bmg

Attachments

• IMG_20221124_200057.jpg
    IMG_20221124_200057.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 142
2K shoot today..

50 BMG using my hand Loads and Hornady 750 Amax
338 Lapua using the Hornady 300gr Atip ( Phenomenal Bullet !!! )

Plates are IPSC ( 18" x 30" )

Some GOOD hits :) ........ AND of course ....... misses :LOL:

Attachments

• 10www.jpg
    10www.jpg
    695.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 9www.jpg
    9www.jpg
    693.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 8www.jpg
    8www.jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 7www.jpg
    7www.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 6www.jpg
    6www.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 5www.jpg
    5www.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 4www.jpg
    4www.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 3www.jpg
    3www.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 2www.jpg
    2www.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 81
  • 1www.jpg
    1www.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 79
For those interested...

This is my young friend "Stu" and his Desert Tech HTI 50BMG "Covert"

I introduced him to my HTI 50BMG a little while ago and he was "hooked" . Towards the end of the vid is the day Stu and his brother Tony first fired my HTI 50BMG , and it was actually the first time they had ever shot a 50BMG ....both smacked the plate at 1000yds in succession.. :)

With ES Tactical kind of MIA lately, who besides SAC is a good source for doing custom SRS barrels? PVA offered to do one for me, even though it's not something they normally do, and while I have confidence they'll do a good job, I'm at almost 14 months waiting on barrel at this point. I need a short 6mmC spun up and looking for options.

Put out a WTB ad on the Px. People are always moving and trying new things, you never know what’s out there and what they may move if they see $$$.

ETA: call up DMR out of Vegas. They are right in there with the rest of the guys. I have 2 of their barrels. 702-420-9188.

Reactions: Simon55
With ES Tactical kind of MIA lately, who besides SAC is a good source for doing custom SRS barrels? PVA offered to do one for me, even though it's not something they normally do, and while I have confidence they'll do a good job, I'm at almost 14 months waiting on barrel at this point. I need a short 6mmC spun up and looking for options.
14 months waiting on a PVA barrel?

1669928129091.png

I wasn't expecting it to take this long, but it is what it is. I'm no longer relying on it - got another barrel from SAC in the meantime so this one will just be a backup.

• Wow
Reactions: wade2big
In all fairness, I've just been having bad luck with barrels lately. I'm approaching two years on another barrel from SAC - the blank arrived to them a year after being ordered, but was out of spec. Hopefully the new blank doesn't have that problem but is still taking another year, I reckon. The PVA barrel I ordered is a 1:7 twist .300NM because I've gotten a lot out of their 212gr Seneca solids in my other 1:8 barrel and wanted to try their 241gr version, but that requires that faster twist. And who better to make the custom barrel than the folks who also designed the bullet? PVA didn't quote me a long time but the whole thing is a departure from their usual stuff and when I checked-in on it after a while he was just waiting for some more .300NM orders to chamber it. Because my ELR season had already come to an end at that point, I told him "no rush" (I bought a backup elsewhere). The sad part is that I'm at almost a year waiting on three barrels from Eric at ES and after years of great work and quick(ish) turn around, he's gone kind of dark lately so who knows what will happen?

So yeah, me bad luck barrel guy.

Reactions: wooferocau
I ordered my 7Saum barrel from ES-Tac on Jan 6 of this year and it was just delivered 2 weeks ago, and that only seemed to happen because I sent him an email about it a week or two before that

Reactions: Dogtown
In all fairness, I've just been having bad luck with barrels lately. I'm approaching two years on another barrel from SAC - the blank arrived to them a year after being ordered, but was out of spec. Hopefully the new blank doesn't have that problem but is still taking another year, I reckon. The PVA barrel I ordered is a 1:7 twist .300NM because I've gotten a lot out of their 212gr Seneca solids in my other 1:8 barrel and wanted to try their 241gr version, but that requires that faster twist. And who better to make the custom barrel than the folks who also designed the bullet? PVA didn't quote me a long time but the whole thing is a departure from their usual stuff and when I checked-in on it after a while he was just waiting for some more .300NM orders to chamber it. Because my ELR season had already come to an end at that point, I told him "no rush" (I bought a backup elsewhere). The sad part is that I'm at almost a year waiting on three barrels from Eric at ES and after years of great work and quick(ish) turn around, he's gone kind of dark lately so who knows what will happen?

So yeah, me bad luck barrel guy.
I ordered my 7Saum barrel from ES-Tac on Jan 6 of this year and it was just delivered 2 weeks ago, and that only seemed to happen because I sent him an email about it a week or two before that
Well this is not making me want to keep my desert tech. I would rather have a rifle that barrels aren’t years out. Damn near any other action that accepts prefits fits the bill.

Honestly, it's never been a problem for me until recently. When I lived in NZ, I could get a custom barrel made in a matter of weeks from my local smith and regional barrel maker. Back here CONUS I've gotten barrels in just a few months from ES Tactical, and got a quick turn around from SAC after I called them to find out what they had available (in my case a 6mm barrel was spun up in about 8 weeks). My bad luck started in early 2021.

Well this is not making me want to keep my desert tech. I would rather have a rifle that barrels aren’t years out. Damn near any other action that accepts prefits fits the bill.
That's why I sold mine, that and the barrels ae $200-$300 more than other prefits

SAC quoted me 4 months and it shipped exactly after 4 months. Ordering in July, received in November. Pricey, but she's a beaut.

SAC quoted me 4 months and it shipped exactly after 4 months. Ordering in July, received in November. Pricey, but she's a beaut.
Doesn’t sac desert tech barrels start at $1800 or something stupid like that? Maybe that’s ES.

Have you not seen the price of factory DT barrels?
View attachment 8011755
So far i have purchased Factory DT barrel kits for my SRS and HTI in calibres..

6.5Cm 26", 308Win ( 16" and 26" ) , 300WM 26", 338 Lapua 26"...375 CT 29" and 50 BMG 29" .....

Couldn't be happier with their performance, even at the higher prices here in Aus.... There is no way ANY Aftermarket/Custom rifle/barrel would shoot better !! Been down that road many a time in the past .

Yeah, I hear you.

I bought a Gen 1 SRS in the first batch in 2009 and now also have an SRS M2 that I got earlier this year, so I have a lot of experience with this platform. And from 2009-2012 all I pretty much used was the factory barrels: 26" .338LM, 26" 6.5x47L, 16" .308WIN, 18" .338LM. But eventually I wanted different cartridges, barrel lengths, contours etc and had great experiences with different gunsmiths making me custom barrels to the point where that's all I shoot now.

They don't make a factory 6.5x47L barrel anymore, nor did they ever make other lengths that I shoot that cartridge (20", 24", 30"). They don't make a 32" .338LM barrel, let alone a .338LM Improved 40 barrel. They don't make a 6mm Creedmoor barrel either.

So these days if you really want to maximize the platform, it's hard to solely rely on factory barrels.

Yeah, I hear you.

I bought a Gen 1 SRS in the first batch in 2009 and now also have an SRS M2 that I got earlier this year, so I have a lot of experience with this platform. And from 2009-2012 all I pretty much used was the factory barrels: 26" .338LM, 26" 6.5x47L, 16" .308WIN, 18" .338LM. But eventually I wanted different cartridges, barrel lengths, contours etc and had great experiences with different gunsmiths making me custom barrels to the point where that's all I shoot now.

They don't make a factory 6.5x47L barrel anymore, nor did they ever make other lengths that I shoot that cartridge (20", 24", 30"). They don't make a 32" .338LM barrel, let alone a .338LM Improved 40 barrel. They don't make a 6mm Creedmoor barrel either.

So these days if you really want to maximize the platform, it's hard to solely rely on factory barrels.
No worries....and I see you're point in regards to calibers ,lengths outside of what's offered from the factory barrel options.
From an accuracy perspective, you won't better the factory barrels though.

Try Oakland Tactical.

So…they’re making custom SRS barrels now or still just selling the factory barrels?

Sometimes they have barrels in stock. A few years ago I picked up a 450 bushmaster from them; Mike said he had an old friend who was a retired gunsmith spinning barrels. Don’t know if it will lead anywhere but it worth a phone call.

First production example mounted.
18” 6.5 cm with a advanced armament 762 suppressor.

Minor adjustments and I will have these ready for pre-orders.

P.s now you have a reason to ditch those A1s and get an A2.
Any updates...would love one for my covert...

Just ordered one for $725 using my old barrel extension and they are $975 with new extension, hard to beat those prices!
What’s the lead time? Do they take the money when you order or when it ships? Do the K&P cut rifled barrels shoot? I may have to give them a call tomorrow.

What’s the lead time? Do they take the money when you order or when it ships? Do the K&P cut rifled barrels shoot? I may have to give them a call tomorrow.
They quoted 6-12 weeks and yes paid 100% up front. I have a buddy with a few of their K&P barrels and they shoot lights out! Eric seems way cool and called me back within minutes, will post results once I have in hand.

They quoted 6-12 weeks and yes paid 100% up front. I have a buddy with a few of their K&P barrels and they shoot lights out! Eric seems way cool and called me back within minutes, will post results once I have in hand.
You spoke with Eric? @Dogtown has been waiting a year on barrels from ES
This is what he posted a few days ago:
The sad part is that I'm at almost a year waiting on three barrels from Eric at ES and after years of great work and quick(ish) turn around, he's gone kind of dark lately so who knows what will happen?

@wade2big I actually just talked to him today and my barrels are inbound.

Yes, his K&P blanks are good to go. And by the way, he's got my .338LM Improved 40 reamer, so if you want one spun up, just select .338LM from the menu and mention "use .338LM Improved 40 reamer" in the additional comments.

Reactions: wade2big
@wade2big I actually just talked to him today and my barrels are inbound.

Yes, his K&P blanks are good to go. And by the way, he's got my .338LM Improved 40 reamer, so if you want one spun up, just select .338LM from the menu and mention "use .338LM Improved 40 reamer" in the additional comments.
I called him not long after I posted here and spoke with him for a couple minutes. I’m going to order a couple barrels tonight. I don’t know that I’m going to step up to the lapua sized cartridges just yet but I will read up on the 338 lapua improved 40. Thanks

Reactions: secondofangle2
Yeah he’s easily one of the best values out there for folks like us.
Indeed and there was a time he was also cutting barrels for Accuracy International actions. If i remember correctly, he was selling those for like $575, so they were a pretty good deal. I'm sure he still can, but they aren't on his site that I can see.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Sometimes they have barrels in stock. A few years ago I picked up a 450 bushmaster from them; Mike said he had an old friend who was a retired gunsmith spinning barrels. Don’t know if it will lead anywhere but it worth a phone call.
When you decide you’re tired of that 450BM barrel, let me know 😁

So here are some choices on barrels that I know of.

DMR rifles LV NV (never used him) Rumor was DMR and ES tactical were related in the past

ES tactical (long lead times, have a few of his barrels now)

Benchmark (never used them personally)

Mark Chanlynn/Rocky mountain rifle works (will make you a complete barrel on his blank, never used him, heard they a great shooters)

Blanks can be ordered from K&P in South Dakota. I have a barrels made with K&P blanks from ES and they shoot amazing. I’ve talked to the owner on the phone and he is very accommodating and really an all around great person to talk to about barrels.

I’ve also talked to longrifles and Chad told me that he has done desert tech barrels before. He was even set up to make his own barrel extensions at one time but didn’t say why he stopped.

My next barrel will probably just be a K&P blank that I have made to my specs and sent to whomever has the best price and lead time!

So here are some choices on barrels that I know of.

DMR rifles LV NV (never used him) Rumor was DMR and ES tactical were related in the past

ES tactical (long lead times, have a few of his barrels now)

Benchmark (never used them personally)

Mark Chanlynn/Rocky mountain rifle works (will make you a complete barrel on his blank, never used him, heard they a great shooters)

Blanks can be ordered from K&P in South Dakota. I have a barrels made with K&P blanks from ES and they shoot amazing. I’ve talked to the owner on the phone and he is very accommodating and really an all around great person to talk to about barrels.

I’ve also talked to longrifles and Chad told me that he has done desert tech barrels before. He was even set up to make his own barrel extensions at one time but didn’t say why he stopped.

My next barrel will probably just be a K&P blank that I have made to my specs and sent to whomever has the best price and lead time!
Good info, there’s some on the list I didn’t even know existed/did DT barrels. I’d be curious to hear from others if anyone knows who’s cheapest. I’m wanting a big bore barrel made and truly I don’t need superb accuracy. So price is key for that project.

Good info, there’s some on the list I didn’t even know existed/did DT barrels. I’d be curious to hear from others if anyone knows who’s cheapest. I’m wanting a big bore barrel made and truly I don’t need superb accuracy. So price is key for that project.
How big bore are we talking? I mean, HTI big bore or still SRS? If it's still SRS, ES Tactical will chamber and thread a barrel for $975 if you need an extension and $725 if you provide the extensive. I'm working from memory, so don't hold me to those prices, but I'm pretty close

How big bore are we talking? I mean, HTI big bore or still SRS? If it's still SRS, ES Tactical will chamber and thread a barrel for $975 if you need an extension and $725 if you provide the extensive. I'm working from memory, so don't hold me to those prices, but I'm pretty close
I just meant big bore as in 458 of some chambering for my SRS. I know ES Tactical was the cheapest I had found but I hadn’t heard of some of the others so I did send an email to Rocky Mountain rifle works for a price inquiry.

Thanks... But the HTI makes the task VERY easy !!!

Being so impressed with what my SRS does i purchased the HTI with 2 barrel conversion ,s.....375CT and 50BMG. The original intent was that 375CT would be the primary round used in the HTI and 50BMG just bought out for "special occasions" .

As it has transpired..... the 50BMG combined with the HTI has stunned me with how accurate and consistent it is at extended ranges!! I have fallen "in love" with this combo! :)

Just last week i had a couple of young shooting friends come out who were very keen to have a shot of the 50......both had never shot a 50 before. We set the same plate up at 1000yds. The first effort produced a 3 from 3 6" group on the plate centralised!! The second did 2 from 2 just below centre of the dot.... A hell of an effort considering it was their first effort with the 50 and not being their own rifle. Both made the comment that they have never felt so confident in a certain hit at that distance..

I originally purchased 200 factory Hornady 750 Amax rounds to use...but now that i am hooked i Have purchased 1500 Hornady 750gr Amax projectiles and 20KG of AR2218 powder and a 2000 RWS primers. Just learning to de crimp and seat the primers correctly and load my first rounds.

Much fun ahead!!
Is it me or are those primers seated quite deep?