• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I shanked the left shot hard. Think this 300nm barrel is a one hole barrel for sure just need to get the rust off my technique.

My shooting lately has been ugly

34017BF2-A16F-46E2-9154-11415DD96270.jpeg
7511120E-5F9C-4DD1-9989-57D27C5BFC7E.jpeg

New magnum bolt stopped ejecting after 5 rounds.
What should I be looking at ?

I shanked the left shot hard. Think this 300nm barrel is a one hole barrel for sure just need to get the rust off my technique.

View attachment 8235845View attachment 8235847

Those have double plunger ejectors. Maybe they need three 😂. What do they look like?

Reactions: BurtG
Seems they are there and have plenty of spring behind them. Extractor seems weak. But not sure how much spring it should have or if that would affect anything.

8B1B59B2-17EA-48D9-9433-CB30E29A778E.jpeg

94B1EA4A-E157-4F1E-B533-57D24D76084B.jpeg

If it were me, I'd take it apart and clean it or at least spray the sheet out of it with brake parts cleaner and/or Kroil, then I'd practice running it hard with empty cases or dummy rounds.

Reactions: PRDRIVER
Hell I have a like new A1 chassis and a 300 PRC barrel in there. I thought about getting an HTI but I don’t even like shooting the 300 PRC. 😂
Secondofangle is right about a heavier HTI being much more pleasant to shoot.

If you’ve been thinking of an HTI, grab his conversion kit and I’ll hook you up with a chassis. We also have the elite iron suppressor in stock that mounts to the brake, along with any other accessory to get you up and running.

If you’ve been thinking of an HTI, grab his conversion kit and I’ll hook you up with a chassis. We also have the elite iron suppressor in stock that mounts to the brake, along with any other accessory to get you up and running.
The 300 PRC doesn’t beat me up either. I just don’t enjoy shooting the big boys and really don’t shoot far enough to actually need them. If I decide to make that jump just to add one to the collection, I’ll reach out.

Reactions: BurtG and PRDRIVER

View attachment 8235845View attachment 8235847

I’d try cleaning the extractor area out. Wondering if there is something in there causing the extractor issue.

On a side note, is that an Elite iron bipod that is attached via an RRS mount? Interested to know more about your bipod setup.

I’d try cleaning the extractor area out. Wondering if there is something in there causing the extractor issue.

On a side note, is that an Elite iron bipod that is attached via an RRS mount? Interested to know more about your bipod setup.
Correct. Il find the thread. I put it together for my at-x comp gun. You can buy just the interface or complete bipod now and add your choice of clamp

This is a new bolt less than a box of 300nm on it. I did spray it with hornady one shot that really slicks stuff up. Il have to pull another dt bolt out see what the extractor tension is this one seems really soft

Yeah and the EI suppressor adds 4 more pounds!
Although it looks like there may be some safe titanium options coming out. I even got TBAC interested in making a dedicated 375 Ultra can in another thread, but Zac said it will have to wait till they have the 50 BMG can up and running full production, and there may need to be a group buy.

Correct. Il find the thread. I put it together for my at-x comp gun. You can buy just the interface or complete bipod now and add your choice of clamp

This is a new bolt less than a box of 300nm on it. I did spray it with hornady one shot that really slicks stuff up. Il have to pull another dt bolt out see what the extractor tension is this one seems really soft
DT extractor springs are very soft. All my bolts are new A2 bolts and they are all weak. They work though so maybe there is a reason for it. If yours are weaker than these then it must flop around. 😂

Reactions: BurtG
Recoil is a very subjective thing. I ran a 33XC for quite a while and had no issues with recoil. I had a 32" barrel that was fairly heavy along with a suppressor and the normal SRS setup. I think overall weight was about 19 lb. My 338 Lapua Mag setup is a 30" barrel and once again I have no issues with recoil. I shoot quite a bit of stuff and over time the sense of being beat up declines. On the other hand I have been to shoots where people would tell me that my 5.45 X 39 AK had devastating recoil. Others said the 223 was just a bit much for them. These were mostly people who had never fired guns before or generally shot 22LR. Its simply something you need to practice to get good at and to reduce the effects of recoil.

I've run both the 300PRC and the 300 Norma in the SRS and shot both cals out to 2700 yds with good effect. The norma mag gets there with a notably lower elevation on the scope and runs a heavier bullet. If I was choosing a new barrel for the SRS I'd go with the Norma over the PRC because it gives you a greater choice of bullets and is better for the longer ranges. The only thing it doesn't have over the PRC is commercial ammo availability in the US. That may change in the future. Of course if you're not planning on running things out past 2000yds it probably doesn't make much difference. A win mag might be a good choice for that too. I don't personally own barrels in either cal for my SRS as I feel the 338 Lapua covers that niche just fine. Component costs are not much different in the end and I load all my own ammo. All of these things are considerations for what barrels you have done up.

I'm still running a covert handguard on an ancient SRS gen 1 and it allows the use of barrels from 16" to any length I want. I don't have clip on night vision or thermal and in 13 years of shooting the rifle I've only had one time I wished the top rail was longer. I was shooting out to 2700 yds and needed a prism. The only ones available were 50 moa and I needed just a bit more. I was unable to stack 2 50s so I shot at closer targets for a bit. My buddy normally brings his 100 moa prism and it works great....I'm still not going for the long handguard. Once again this is a choice for the shooter to make based on what he's interested in. Having the short handguard is handy though when you want to run cans on short barrels.

Just a few thoughts

Frank

Reactions: jbrand11 and BurtG
Seems they are there and have plenty of spring behind them. Extractor seems weak. But not sure how much spring it should have or if that would affect anything.

View attachment 8235941

View attachment 8235943
Punch out the roll pins on the side and take out the plungers, clean and reassemble.
Also the extractors are typically easy to move around with your finger. There's not a whole lot of tension on them without a case on the bolt.

View attachment 8236007

View attachment 8236008

5rds of 143gr ELD-X.

Short barrel is spicy.
Whole setup with full mag and biathlon sling and bipod is under 12#.

Thanks special purpose rifles!
That's a great looking setup. Glad we could help!

Those short barrels are spicy for sure. I'm a fan of suppressors and even more so on a Covert with a shorter barrel.

Reactions: secondofangle2
That's a great looking setup. Glad we could help!

Those short barrels are spicy for sure. I'm a fan of suppressors and even more so on a Covert with a shorter barrel.
I'm in New York these days. I left all my cans in Ohio (secure if the ATF is reading). I'd love to throw a can on the front of this. I'll have to appropriate it from my collection in the family trust when I'm back. But even spicy, it's a shooter.

Got another 375 barrel up on the PX if you prefer 10 twist but that kind of pickiness will cost you :)

Got the new rig to the range. After a quick zero at 100 I moved to 1000 and just couldn't seem to miss the targets! Loving this new setup. The ZCO is a massive upgrade from my old Razor HD II.

Thanks for the quick shipping PRDriver So great to be back in the game after 3 years.

Attachments

• 20230928_120115.jpg
    20230928_120115.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 55
  • 20230928_120628.jpg
    20230928_120628.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230928_120614.jpg
    20230928_120614.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20230928_124743_Range Buddy.jpg
    Screenshot_20230928_124743_Range Buddy.jpg
    991.7 KB · Views: 54
Got the new rig to the range. After a quick zero at 100 I moved to 1000 and just couldn't seem to miss the targets! Loving this new setup. The ZCO is a massive upgrade from my old Razor HD II.

Thanks for the quick shipping PRDriver So great to be back in the game after 3 years.
Great Shooting! That sure is a nice looking rig. So glad we could help you out.

@BurtG, did you figure out your ejection issue?

@Dogtown, I bet DT put out a bad run of magazines. My brand new short action mag had a spacer failure just as yours did.

View attachment 8238299
I know mags are made for DT by a third party. It is possible there was a bad batch. Let me know if you need any assistance getting that warrantied.

Swap mag bodies with me. I need a 2 short mags with the spacer removed or loose and have a couple of the new mags here. Having removed the spacer from a couple these are pretty damn tight.

Frank

This is in the New York Times today in an article called “four seconds to impact“. It is about the pivotal role of snipers in Ukraine. Article says they’re shooting at a Russian encampment just over a mile away. I noticed the guy has quite the cant on his scope (a Nightforce?), and this looks like a bullpup perhaps even a desert tech - I think I see the sliding bolt sleeve. There’s also a big tripod in the background. Thoughts?

ETA def a DT broz! See second photo. This writers of this article alwere embedded w the sniper squad for a week. So this is legit!
IMG_4895.png

IMG_4896.png

Last edited:
Reactions: wooferocau
This is Nick Young, the CEO of Desert Tech. I miss participating in the forum discussions here. Unfortunately my time is entirely consumed with company responsibilities.

I am currently hiring for a product manager that would help us manage the products health and help to improve and provide suggestions for future products and next generation designs.

I am also hiring for creative marketing team members that are highly competent experienced long range shooters with marketing skills that want to create some fun and extreme content.

For anyone that is interested please DM me.

Nick now that PMAA is closed I’m out in the west desert shooting DTs (and machine guns) almost exclusively several times a month. Out to 3250 yards. Have your guys or Jeff Woods hit me up.

Reactions: ney1
Is that DT ammo there too in that one pic? Here’s another pic of HTI.
IMG_4898.jpeg

IMG_4897.png

Coming home from work to a brand new M2 waiting for you makes for a great day!
IMG_4122.jpeg

IMG_4124.jpeg

IMG_4125.jpeg

I will say that the new bolt has a way lighter cocking/ close than my old A1’s had and I can’t believe how much lighter this new design is. Trigger is nice and crisp as well.

The only thing that has me slightly concerned is that the forward and aft movement of the bolt is pretty tight. Seems like much tighter tolerances than previous generations but I’m sure it with some oil it will break in.

Coming home from work to a brand new M2 waiting for you makes for a great day!
View attachment 8239362
View attachment 8239364
View attachment 8239365

I will say that the new bolt has a way lighter cocking/ close than my old A1’s had and I can’t believe how much lighter this new design is. Trigger is nice and crisp as well.

The only thing that has me slightly concerned is that the forward and aft movement of the bolt is pretty tight. Seems like much tighter tolerances than previous generations but I’m sure it with some oil it will break in.
How’s the trigger

How’s the trigger
Trigger is great right out of the box, no creep that I can feel and I would guess a 2-2.5lb pull. I was worried about the trigger because it seems like there’s some creepish ones out there and I didn’t get a chance to handle a A2/M2 before I bought. And my old A1’s had the orkan trigger mods done for a really nice pull. I’ll still open up the skins to see how low I can get it, but I’d be happy with the way it is now if it’s as low as it’ll go.

Reactions: PRDRIVER and BurtG
This is in the New York Times today in an article called “four seconds to impact“. It is about the pivotal role of snipers in Ukraine. Article says they’re shooting at a Russian encampment just over a mile away. I noticed the guy has quite the cant on his scope (a Nightforce?), and this looks like a bullpup perhaps even a desert tech - I think I see the sliding bolt sleeve. There’s also a big tripod in the background. Thoughts?

ETA def a DT broz! See second photo. This writers of this article alwere embedded w the sniper squad for a week. So this is legit!
View attachment 8239323

View attachment 8239340
Yes those are DT rifles. We have sold hundreds of SRS and HTI rifles to Ukraine over the last few years. Yes that is our ammo too. 🤓

I think the first military contract for the SRS went to Georgia around 2010?

Hey Hide Members:

Recently picked up a DT SRS A1 Covert, lightly used, however the trigger weight adjusting screw is missing, assume it loosened up and fell out. Rifle functions perfectly and pull weight is approximately 2 lbs. I’ve left a message with DT to order a replacement, haven’t heard back.

Questions: I’m assuming the pull weight is at its lowest setting as is? Also, keep running it until a replacement screw is found? Besides DT, does anyone know where I can find a replacement screw?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey Hide Members:

Recently picked up a DT SRS A1 Covert, lightly used, however the trigger weight adjusting screw is missing, assume it loosened up and fell out. Rifle functions perfectly and pull weight is approximately 2 lbs. I’ve left a message with DT to order a replacement, haven’t heard back.

Questions: I’m assuming the pull weight is at its lowest setting as is? Also, keep running it until a replacement screw is found? Besides DT, does anyone know where I can find a replacement screw?

Thanks!
Try Midwest gunworks

Hey Hide Members:

Thanks!
The pull weight screw is a M4-0.7 (8mm long). The length isn’t that important I wouldn’t believe. Your local hardware store may have a metric allen head in this size.

Hey Hide Members:

Thanks!
We don’t stock small parts at our shop, but here is a link to where one is in stock.

Reactions: InTraining
I thought I read somewhere that it’s perfectly fine to run the trigger without that screw for the lowest pull weight? Any truth to that?

Also, finally got my March 4.5-28 mounted, hopefully shooting in a couple days.

View attachment 8240189
View attachment 8240190
Beautiful looking rig. That brake looks really nice. I'd be interested to hear how you like the brake that is on your rifle.

Something thing I have found on the SRS, is that barrels that are at the 22" length produce a fair amount of blast at the shooter when an aggressive muzzle brake is mounted. I have found that brakes with ports that do not vent back towards the shooter are a little more comfortable to shoot on the SRS and especially the Covert platforms.

Something I personally do on my SRS A2/M2 rifles is put a Magpul MLOK Sling adapter on the fore end of the rifle. There just isn't a lot of material in the factory sling swivel holes located on the hand guard. I could see that getting worn overtime and potentially a rifle falling off someone's shoulder when it was slung up. The other thing I have seen is thicker profile barrels coming in contact with the inner portion of some sling swivels when they are used in the factory mountain holes.