• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We do listen all of your requests guys so keep em coming.</div></div>

10 round magazine?

A little off topic but...We always hear about poor customer service from this company or that but rarely hear about great customer service. I'm here to say the last couple of minor issues I've experienced with my DTA have been addressed in a very quick and satifactory manner. Big thumbs up for the guys at DTA.
grin.gif

DTA Cust Service has always been first rate for me including being the first guinea pig to have an SRS made into a Covert.

OK here's ANOTHER ammo question , but I'm directing it to the 16" .308................

Was told by DTA that they are running the 167 lapua scenar and the 168 sierra match king. Are there any other rounds that have better ballistics that would out preform these rounds with-in a 600 yard distance?

Also looking to run sub sonic .308's in the 16". Any input or direction would be helpfull there also.............

Thanks Everyone
laugh.gif

220, 200, 190 SMK's can all be shot subsonically with our 16" barreled 308's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,
We are running a Christmas promotion for the SRS rifle & Covert rifles. Here is a link for it:

http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/christmas-promotion?___store=default
</div></div>

I hope my girlfriend see's it on facebook and surprises me!

I've had pretty solid results with almost everything I've shot through the Covert 16" 8-twist barrel. 155 gr Scenars, FGMM 168s, Applied Ballistics 175s, CorBon SMK 190s, the list goes on. All performed very well; enough so that I would say the only way you'll know for sure what works best in yours is to actually test several other ammo varieties in your hands.

Well I think the christmas promo is what is going to put me over the edge to finally buy one. Damn you
shocked.gif

Has anybody had one of the carbon wrapped barrels spun up? I'm curious how much one could get the weight down for use as a hunting rig.

Why this promotion is not valid through foreign dealers?

Re: 16" .308 loads

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ConfederateWolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK here's ANOTHER ammo question , but I'm directing it to the 16" .308................

Was told by DTA that they are running the 167 lapua scenar and the 168 sierra match king. Are there any other rounds that have better ballistics that would out preform these rounds with-in a 600 yard distance?
</div></div>

I opened this topic in the reloading section. Thanks to the high twist rate you can run any .30" on the market at full power. (Subsonic you'll probably find the 220gr SMKs are at the upper limit of stability.)

It is worth noting that at 500 yards and beyond the heavier the bullet the more retained energy you'll have, and the less wind drift (all, of course, due to higher B.C.). Here are estimates from the 16" bbl, assuming each is loaded with Win748 to a peak pressure of 55kpsi:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
SMK Muzzle 500-yard-------------------------------
grs fps fps ft-lbs Drop" 10mph" Time (s)
150 2630 1613 867 65.7 27.6 0.725
168 2490 1590 944 72 26.8 0.753
180 2390 1605 1030 75 24.5 0.765
200 2260 1591 1125 82 22.5 0.79
220 2140 1540 1157 90 22.2 0.825
240 2030 1480 1168 100 22.3 0.864
</pre></div></div>

Re: Serial numbers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbooksta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new guns that use the feedramp alignment design start with SRS at the beginning of their serial number. The old pin guns start with DTA at the beginning of their serial number. </div></div>

Looks like both generations start with serial number 1000, right?

How many first-gen guns were made?

I saw a newer gen-2 with S/N "SRS...16XX"; are there really at least 600 of the newer ones out there already?! </div></div>

Update: Just saw SRS0021XX. No recession at DTA!

i was looking at the SRS too thought WOW 12% off this xmas amazing timing untill i saw only for US sales, doesnt seem that great now.........

Hi guys, as a foregn export dealer we will honour this promotion in all countries where we can for you.

Contact me by PM and I will see what I can do for you.

regards all and Merry Christmas!!!

Ewen

Just picked up a set of KAC 600m micro irons for the SRS and mounted the NF NXS F1 3.5x15 in the Larue LT112 and it was perfect. Anyone who has real high cheek bones I recommend checking out the Larue. I couldn't get a perfect weld with my DTA rings. That being said, the DTA rings were perfect for my friends.

Does SRS have some kind of firing pin block when the rifle is in S or F position?

Srs firing pins are free floating. We have done extensive drop testing from all angles and the firing pin will not detonate a primer when the safety is engaged.

Foreign dealers can voluntarily honor our Xmas promo. It costs foreign dealers a lot more time and money for them to import our rifles into their country justifying higher sales prices.

DTA drop-safe?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Srs firing pins are free floating. We have done extensive drop testing from all angles and the firing pin will not detonate a primer when the safety is engaged.
</div></div>

The safety toggle weight on my DTA is only 8 ounces, so I don't believe the "safety" has much to do with whether a DTA will fire if dropped (since a drop will easily disengage the safety).

The fact that you've done drop-testing is nice (and apparently more than some manufacturers do), but if the firing-pin is free-floating it boils down to a straight-forward question of physics: What's the weight of the firing pin, and how much momentum is needed to detonate a primer? Then you know how much acceleration the rifle can take before it accidentally discharges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottsnipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a new custom cover my friend made for me, let me know what you think. The trigger guard is covered so it is range friendly aswell.

DSC00880.JPG

DSC00882.JPG

</div></div>

tagged

ok question is that russ in the santa outfit?

I would love to try an SRS as well! I live in the South Bay of Los Angeles and usually shoot at Angeles Shooting Ranges. If anyone is available, I'd really appreciate it. I'll cover the ammo that I would be shooting...Thanks!

How much do barrels alone run w/o the bolt, mag, etc? 6.5x47 lapua ex.

And with the monopod are they shipping out ready accept it, just w/o if not ordered with it or do they still have to be sent in to have it installed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok question is that russ in the santa outfit? </div></div>
Oh, it's like that?

original.jpg

I love this picture.

DTA is setup in 308. It has a 22" barrel. TBAC suppressor
The bottom gun is a GAP 308 with AICS stock and an 18" barrel. Shark suppressor.

I'm amazed that despite a 4" (roughly) longer barrel in the DTA the gun is still several inches SHORTER than the comparable GAP 308. (not including suppressors. I'm talking just gun-to-gun).

Right now I've got a NF on the DTA...tempted to try out the new IOR 12-52 Terminator....hmm....

Fun stuff.

Parker

I had a 308 firing pin break at about 550 rounds on my SRS. Anyone else here run into this? At the time it broke I was prone hanging on the side of a sand berm lots of wind and sand, loaded a round, pressed the trigger and no go.

Question for those of you with DTA 30 or 40 MOA tapered scope mount + Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56mm scopes. How much clearance is there between the front bottom of the scope and top of the rail on the forearm?

Thanks!

Dane and I finished our first DTA barrel for our good friend Tyler! Its chambered in 6.5mm Creedmoor. He is going to head out and put some rounds through it tomorrow. I'll be losing sleep until I know it shoots.

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

Yeah, thats me grinning like a retard. Gonna go shoot it in a couple of hours and can't wait.

Thanks to Joe and Dane (JFComfort and D. Miller) for the amazing machine work! For this being their first DTA, they made it look like they had been doing it for years. The only gripe I can say about these guys is that their turn around time is ridiculous. 4 hours?....... C'mon guys, who do you think you are GAP? Seriously though, nice to have friends.

Also, thanks to Travis (THUNDERBOLT68). If you are looking for the best DTA dealer, Travis is your man.

Also Chris at Benchmark, and Ethan at DTA. Both of these guys have their customers in mind at all times.

Range report in a couple of hours!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raptor 2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question for those of you with DTA 30 or 40 MOA tapered scope mount + Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56mm scopes. How much clearance is there between the front bottom of the scope and top of the rail on the forearm?

Thanks!</div></div>

Dunno about the S&B, but I was running a NF 5.5-22x56 with 30 MOA taper and NF's long ass sun shade and still had slight clearance. With out the sun shade there would have been lots of room.

Re: Broken Firing Pin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WHITE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a 308 firing pin break at about 550 rounds on my SRS. Anyone else here run into this? At the time it broke I was prone hanging on the side of a sand berm lots of wind and sand, loaded a round, pressed the trigger and no go. </div></div>

Can you post a photo of the pin? We'd like to see the nature of the failure.

DTA has just released that it's Desert Tactical Munitions (DTM) line of 338 ammo is now available for sale.

Here is the email I just got- DTM 338 Ammo

Well, range day went well to say the least. I shot mostly factory Hornday 140 Amax, and some of my reloads. My reloads were just ok as this is my first stab at 6.5 CM.

After all the lathe work with oil and what not, I took the thing home and cleaned the hell out of it. I expected the first 2-3 to be wild due to the cleaning. The first was pretty low, I adjusted and sent the next 5 for this:
photo-3-2.jpg

The first 5 measured .426" at 100 yards! I was happy to say the least as I typically don't shoot paper better than .5" no matter how accurate the rifle is. The worst factory group I sent was .55". My best reloads measured .397" so I'll be pursuing that.

The best group of the day was this 3 shot, again with factory Hornday.
photo-4-1.jpg

My crappy math puts this group at .084".

To say that I am happy would be an understatement. DTA's are the ultimate platform.

Thanks again to Joe and Dane. To bad you guys have day jobs.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks again to Joe and Dane. To bad you guys have day jobs..... </div></div>

LMFAO! Maybe someday Dane and I will be hanging out in a shop with a lathe for a living. We'll see..

I'm happy its shooting for you! Being able to do my own barrels for the DTA makes me want one even more! Looking forward to shooting with you this weekend!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsky23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little off topic but...We always hear about poor customer service from this company or that but rarely hear about great customer service. I'm here to say the last couple of minor issues I've experienced with my DTA have been addressed in a very quick and satifactory manner. Big thumbs up for the guys at DTA.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Unfortunately I have a rather negative story regarding DTA's customer service. I bought my rifle back in October, along with the torque wrench. The wrench was on backorder, but i took my rifle out and shot it anyway (shot very well). I finally got the wrench a few weeks later and broke the rifle down to discover <span style="font-weight: bold">it's a gen-1 rifle.</span> It was shipped directly from DTA - why am I getting old stock!!

Contacted my dealer (who is absolutely fantastic, btw - THUNDERBOLT68) who asked DTA to make me whole. They refused to do much of anything, claiming he should be the one to take it back and get another one for me. That doesn't seem reasonable to me considering they drop-shipped it to my FFL directly - he never touched it.

The best they could do was offer me 10% off on a conversion. Not really making me even since I waited on the gen-2's to come out in the first place.

Extremely unhappy with the customer service at this point. Especially considering the cost of the equipment.

What is the difference between gen 1 and gen 2?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bob7-08</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the difference between gen 1 and gen 2? </div></div>

The barrel indexing is different. The Gen-1 uses a little pin to index the barrel in the receiver. The gen-2 uses the feed ramp. They changed to the gen-2 as operators were concerned about breaking the pin during fast barrel changes.

Thank you quickone,i order a srs and wish it will be a gen 2!

All other things equal, I too would prefer gen-2.

Here, a few pages back in this very thread the difference between gen-1 and gen-2 was discussed. DTA guaranteed continued support for the older (gen-1) barrel extension and caliber conversion kits (so whenever a new caliber conversion kit is released, you'd be able to get it with the new or old barrel extension).

This 1-vs-2 would only really matter when you have less-than-trained or more-than-stressed people (we know both are frequent enough in the Army
smile.gif
) trying to rush the caliber change - as dropping the barrel into the receiver isn't that likely in the "normal" life/operations.

QuickOne, my sympathy. I also have a gen-1 rifle, and already accumulated a few calibers for it.
smile.gif
And I have to be careful not to slam the barrel "down the throat" of the rifle.

Re: DTA Quality and Customer "Service"

That's disgraceful. IANAL, but presumably it's also not legal. You can't sell a 2010 car as a 2011 model. You can't sell a Gen3 Glock and call it a Gen 4. Just because the DTA differences are internal you should get a Gen 2 if you order a new gun after they have released those, unless they explicitly warn and you agree to buy one of their older receivers.

Fortunately my recent DTA purchase was a Gen 2, but I have not been impressed with the customer service or the company to date.

The product is pretty cool, but it still has notable shortcomings, and these guys should be conciliatory until it's ready for prime time. Their attitude writes checks their product can't cash.

For example, the magazines are very sloppy -- plastic follower on some gets stuck on the detente cutout, which itself appears to have be stamped to a tolerance of +/- tenths of an inch. So most mags have ridiculous amounts of play when inserted. They're charging 10 times what the mag is worth.

The bolt assembly is uncoated steel. A bunch of us promptly sent them off for NP3 treatment, since the bolt sleeve gets sticky with or without lube in dusty environments. Obviously DTA should be providing a low-friction coating given what they charge for the bolt, and given that it's the sole critical moving part on the entire platform.

Their pricing policies are frequently bizarre. For example, they won't equip a new gun with the monopod for less than the full cost of the retrofit, even though buying the retrofit after the fact you get a new set of skins along with it. Even after pointing out that they should charge less when they're shipping one fewer set of skins they just shrugged and essentially said, "That's the way we price it. Take it or leave it."

If you're on the fence, I'd suggest leaving it for now until their prices come into line with their service and quality levels.

I ordered mine direct. The sales is very cool. He asked if I want gen 1 or 2, and said both will be supported. When I told him I want gen 2, he didn't try to pressure sell me a gen 1.

On a different topic, does anyone know the spec of the bolt stem, like the thread spec and diameter of the stem? I'd like that info in case I want to change the bolt knob in the future.

Leaving alone the pricing policies, I must say that IMHO SRS monopod is spectacular. Once I figured how to use it correctly - it's been Hog's Heaven ever since. Its speed and range of adjustment are outstanding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raptor_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a different topic, does anyone know the spec of the bolt stem, like the thread spec and diameter of the stem? I'd like that info in case I want to change the bolt knob in the future.</div></div>
Sorry I don't have the specs (I'm sure you can call DTA and they'd be more than happy to tell you), but I think you can buy both "cone" and "ball" knobs from DTA directly. I did, and am happy.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dbooksta,
I'm sorry to hear you have not been happy with our company, I will try to address your issues below:
1) We do put a self lubricating coating on the bolt that is corrosion proof.
2) Our mags have clearance for drop free mag changes, if your mags are not feeding it is covered under our warranty and we will replace them.
3) When we do the monopod retrofit on a customers gun then we recut existing stock skins, we don't replace them, our monopod is not a cheesy thumbscrew like most others it took months to engineer and contains multiple complex mechanisms to make it work like it does, if you don't want one then don't buy one that's why we made it an option.
4) GEN I pin vs GEN II feedramp guns both function exactly the same, feed the same, and are the same accurate. We could have elected to keep the feedramp version military only but we did not, if we could have made it retrofitable on previous guns then we would have offered it but unfortunately we couldn't. <span style="font-weight: bold">Of course we could have not developed the feedramp version and then you wouldn't have anything to complain about too.</span>

</div></div>

Seriously? You're making this statement? That's equivalent of any manufacturer saying "well, our new product is better than our old product, but you're lucky we did anything at all".

Fact is, when I bought it I expected the new product. That is why I bought it drop-shipped from DTA and not on the used market. Whether it is a product I want or "should have" or not is not a decision you get to make. Me - <span style="font-weight: bold">the consumer</span> - gets to make it. That's why I generally spend my hard earned money on well researched products. And why I waited for gen-2. And you slipped me an old product for the full price of a new one.

I'm really interested in the HTI. Is there any quick deployment package offered in the HTI like there is in the SRS? Will the barrel threading be the same for all calibers in the HTI platform, e.g. same size and thread so 50BMG or 408CT suppressor can be used on the 375CT?

How bout offering an HTI Christmas deal like you are for the SRS???