• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I'm considering getting an SRS but I'd like to try one out first. Anyone around the Atlanta area that has one and would let me get behind it for a few shots?

How about some covert?

This one just went out to one of our customers. I snuck it up on the table for some pics before it got stuffed away for the shipper.

IMG_7716.jpg

I like that! Looks like a shooter! Can't wait to take it for a spin this week!

Greg at Primal Rights was a great help getting this spec'd out for me... Just gotta find a monopod that's in stock somewhere...they are all gone.

Thx Greg, Matt

I like that! Looks like a shooter! Can't wait to take it for a spin this week!

Greg at Primal Rights was a great help getting this spec'd out for me... Just gotta find a monopod that's in stock somewhere...they are all gone.

Thx Greg, Matt

EuroOptic told me there was a problem with the current batch of monopods so all the A1s that are shipping right now do not have monopods. They had no idea when this would be resolved.

EuroOptic told me there was a problem with the current batch of monopods so all the A1s that are shipping right now do not have monopods. They had no idea when this would be resolved.

Damn. That will be delaying mine then since I ordered with the monopod. Oh well, it will be worth the wait no doubt.

Thanks Troutfarm! Two Brothers did a great job. I am thinking about sending the .338BR barrel to them to be coated in either FDE or ODG. They quoted me $55 plus shipping.

Here is the difference:

Factory ODG (BEFORE):

Two Brothers ATACS (AFTER):

Does anyone have any leads on a in stock fde/fde covert chassis?

Thanks

I have a GDI mount, NF 2.5-10 and a Gemtech Sandstorm that need a home.

Last edited:
Tell me more about this .338BR.

What kind of ballistics?

.338BR is mainly intended for subsonic use. It will throw a 300gr bullet 1050 fps with 13.5 gr of 2400. There are other powders that work well too. It is very very quiet and doesn't require screwing with trailboss and a lot of empty space in the case. Its consistent and accurate. The long range trajectory is about like a rainbow but its not really intended for 1000 yd shots....the Lapua Mag is more suited to that and with a suppressor the target can't tell them apart. I know guys who hunt hogs with this round out to 300yds or so with good result. So the big reasons for the round are quiet, hard hitting, low recoil, accurate, small powder charge so economical to load.
Now having said all that, it is possible to load 200 grain bullets like the hornady SST ballistic tip up to velocities of 2200+ fps depending on barrel length. My SRS barrel in this cal is 17" so that it clears the handguard. I've seen 2200 with no pressure signs. Corey's barrel is 20 in and according to quickload should be able to spit out the 200gr SST at 2350 or so. This is up in the energy range of the 308 and would be good for hunting deer and other similar sized game. It makes the round pretty versatile.
Punch those numbers into one of the ballistic calculators and I think you'll be impressed. The 300gr matchkings are low drag and retain velocity very well. Over 800fps out at 1000yds so there is still a lot of energy there. The SST isn't that slick but still does very well. Check the numbers and see what you think.
Hope that answers the question

Frank

Last edited:
Hmmmmm....yes, I have been considering a good subsonic load.

300 yards and in is more than enough for subsonic.

Tell me more about brass prep, what case do you start with?

Sounds very cool.

Hmmmmm....yes, I have been considering a good subsonic load.

300 yards and in is more than enough for subsonic.

Tell me more about brass prep, what case do you start with?

Sounds very cool.

The case is based on the 308-1.5 from which many of the Benchrest rounds were evolved. Since its based on the 308 case it has the same case head dimensions and the body is the same though obviously shorter. It will feed from the DT mags for 308, 6.5X47, 260 etc but it doesn't always eject well due to the short case. I may try the trick I used on the rem 700's and extend the ejector pin a little so as to keep pressure on the case til it makes the ejection port. With the standard ejector the case is loose when it clears the chamber mouth so it sometimes falls from the extractor. I've built a number of Rem 700's in this cal using PTG bottom metal and AICS mags. They work very well and the remmies don't seem to drop the case in this cal. All in all this round goes very well with the 6.5X47 in my SRS and uses the same bolt and mag.

Remington makes 7BR and the brass is ok. It can be necked from 7mm to 338 in one shot with the expander in the dies from CH4D. The only problem with the brass is that its not quite as consistent as I'd like. I've got some cases that split in the body shooting subs and others that have been fired 6 or 8 times with supersonics. One other issue is that remington makes this brass once or twice a year so its tough to get your hands on.
Lapua makes some wonderful brass as we all know and you can use 6BR Norma from Lapua. I've never tried the same cal brass from Norma but its available. If you use the 6BR Norma brass you'll have to turn the necks. Since you're opening the neck up so much you are pulling a part of the shoulder up into the neck and it leaves a ring. Neck turn and you have no more problem and the brass is very consistent, long lasting and nice to work with. You will also need to get a second expander to take the neck from 6mm to 30 cal than from there to 338. I have run a few through my CH4D dies after I modded the expander and it can work but about 1/4 of the cases will crush rather than expand. Its a big jump.

Hope that answers the question.

Frank

So my a1 covert chassis finally shipped....unfortunately they had no conversion kits so I've got a chassis coming but no barrels....anyone know where I can get a conversion kit in either 308, 260 or 338lm?

So my a1 covert chassis finally shipped....unfortunately they had no conversion kits so I've got a chassis coming but no barrels....anyone know where I can get a conversion kit in either 308, 260 or 338lm?

Funny, I have a 308, 300WM, 338LM, and 260Rem conversions but no A1 Covert Chassis.

DTA is expecting a shipment from Walther in August. I know there is 338 conversions in there. Not sure about the rest. Look in the forsale section. There are lots of barrels for sale in there. I'm not sure about bolts and mags.

I've got a brand new 6.5 barrel from Bartlein profiled for a DTA I'm looking to sell. All you need is a barrel extension and have someone chamber it in 260.

No waiting.

Barrels seem to be readily available...it's the bolt and magazines that seem to be the hang up. Though if DTA is pushing out the A1s conversion kits can't be far behind.

Last edited:
I now have an srs A1 on the way and need some glass for it. I am looking to the Kahles 624i, but still deciding between the MSR and AMR reticules. What is happening with the AMR anyway? I can't find any new information on it and it seems I can't even find any pictures of it.

Here is a pic of my new Covert A1, and the first 3 shoot group with 168gr Fed GM Match. I know its only 3 shoots but not bad for factory ammo with only 20 rounds down the barrel. I can't wait to get some loads worked up for it, then I will get some 5 shoot groups posted. This is well worth the wait, a (BIG) Thanks to everyone at DTA for their hard work and commitment to making a quality product.

Attachments

• Covert A1 3 shoot group .239 168 gr Fed GM Match.jpg
    Covert A1 3 shoot group .239 168 gr Fed GM Match.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 25
  • SRS Covert A1.jpg
    SRS Covert A1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 27
Here is a target shot. Still getting used to the setup but so far its a no brain Keeper! Love the system. Very small! Gotta develop a load for the 16" barrel. Probably going to go with a 168gr Serria, Varget, match primers and Lapua Brass....
IMAG0136.jpg

Thanks ofd343 it is an awesome system. Labanaktis, nice grouping I will go with the 168's as well. The guys at DTA said they tend to like the 168's better, but will shoot the 175 pretty good to.

Guys we got the first production batch of AMR reticle scopes in two days ago. We will be posting range pictures and feedback on them very soon. Here are some quick pics of the reticle looking out my office window.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Nick,
Very nice indeed, I can't wait to get my hands on one of these for my very own. It will fit quite nice on my 338LM. Thank you very much for the pic's! what are the pwer ranges used in the pic's?
Sully

Kind of resembles the H59 reticle I ordered on my beast. I do however like the placement of the ranging marks better on the Kahles. Plus I paid an extra $700 for just the reticle. Looks like I should have waited.

bas402,
Top picture is 10x I believe, bottom is for sure 24x

Thanks Nick! The reticle looks fairly thin at 24X. Not crazy about the floating dot but...Not an issue. Like I stated I will be waiting to here the reviews cause... I have a home for one!
Sully

dang I wish I had one of these rifles. I mean I would work all summer for one of these, but not old enough for a job yet, I'm 14. I got a rem 700 build, its nice but these are just masterpieces, they shoot good, look good, agile, and change caliber quick. If I had a dta srs I would have one rifle in all the calibers I want, but the gun comes at a price of about 4.5k+ optic. I wish I just could shoot one of these. Ugh only if I could afford one with a nice S&B scope on it and a suppressor.($10,300!!)

The DTA has a new warm bed thanks to Alex at EuroOptic. Ordered at 6pm on Monday and was at the shop by COB on Wed....wow! Biffj, you will notice the foam kicks ass compared to the foam you hate in your case.

The DTA has a new warm bed thanks to Alex at EuroOptic. Ordered at 6pm on Monday and was at the shop by COB on Wed....wow! Biffj, you will notice the foam kicks ass compared to the foam you hate in your case.

Ssnfa What kind of suppressor is that? I don't think I have seen that one or the muzzle brakes it comes with. Also wondering if anyone knows will the 762 surefire socom can with 3/4 x24 muzzle brake(silencer shop says they make one for the m110) make the clearence at the end of the rail on srs with a 22' 308 barrel?

Ssnfa What kind of suppressor is that? I don't think I have seen that one or the muzzle brakes it comes with. Also wondering if anyone knows will the 762 surefire socom can with 3/4 x24 muzzle brake(silencer shop says they make one for the m110) make the clearence at the end of the rail on srs with a 22' 308 barrel?

It is a Gemtech PSR-T .338 can. They only released about 200 to the public before they went US Military sales only with them. It is a great can but the muzzle breaks are $400/each. :-(

long range, killing power, and how do you make brass? neck up 7br?

I think you should read the posts on previous pages as all of these are answered there. Just do a search with my user name. I don't really want to type another 3 paragraphs when its already been done. Here is a little basic info....
Its is not intended to be a long range round. The 338 Lapua Mag is more well suited for that. Its meant to be used as a suppressed subsonic round and works excellent for that purpose. It fires a 300gr Matchking or equivalent at 1050fps for subsonics and has been used with great success at 300yds or so on hogs and other game. It can be loaded with lighter bullets like the 200gr Hornady SST at velocities over 2000fps to shoot longer range or for shots where expansion is needed. I can get 2300fps out of these bullets in my 17" bbl. Its not as quiet at that velocity due to the supersonic crack of the bullet. Brass is 6 or 6 BR necked up.

Frank
Hope that helps

You can buy subsonic 338lm rounds that will shoot great in the covert barrel with its fast twist. Then you have the option of shooting full power and subsonics and don't have to dedicate to just one.

That reticle is amazing!

I like to dial elevation and hold windage. The only problem is that with every other mil reticle the first hold off is at .5 mil. That is a ton of windage and so in comps I usually will dial windage as well on the closer shots.

The first time I saw DTA's with .2 mil holds I just smacked my palm on my face! I hate to say it boys, but its only a matter of time before every other scope manufacture creates similar designs. It is so brilliant, yet such an obvious solution after you see it.

I'll take the first one that comes available.

Ty

You can buy subsonic 338lm rounds that will shoot great in the covert barrel with its fast twist. Then you have the option of shooting full power and subsonics and don't have to dedicate to just one.

This is true, but with the .338LM subsonics costing $6.00 a shot in factory form, I am happy to have a dedicated .338BR barrel that throws the same bullet at 50fps faster (but still subsonic) and only uses 13.5 gr of 2400. The initial barrel, brass and dies investiment will be made up in the long run. Plus the .338BR is pretty kick ass as a supersonic deer sized game hunting round which is harder to do with a LM.

I will just save my full power .338LM brass until it wears out and then make it .510 brass. :)

But the rifle you designed makes it so much easier to explore other cartridges that we'd otherwise have to build an entirely new, dedicated rifle for ;)