• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

For those interested I posted up a range report on the AMR reticle here. We have been testing them on the range since they arrived two days ago.

? View topic - In the Building....
IMG_0512.jpg

Last edited:
You can buy subsonic 338lm rounds that will shoot great in the covert barrel with its fast twist. Then you have the option of shooting full power and subsonics and don't have to dedicate to just one.

I'm not sure what the twist rate on the covert barrel is but for the full length barrel its 1-10. From experience it is a little slow for tossing a 300gr MatchKing subsonic. The BR barrels are 1-7 or 1-8 which works well for subs in the 300gr + range. Another advantage is the efficiency of the round. Instead of having a huge empty case with a little powder that will be less consistent depending on how the rifle is held (powder position) you have a very small case that is filled nearly to capacity so its consistent every time. I'm not getting rid of my 338LM setup for sure but its nice to have the 338BR along with it. The BR uses a lot less powder than the LM as well. While you could run the 200gr bullets over 3K fps with the LM it only takes about 30gr of powder for the BR to run them at 2300 or so. I think the LM would require about 3 times that to run a good load. It just isn't the forte of the LM to run lightweights.
As the manufacturer you should be whooping for joy that we're buying a lot more barrel extensions. Margins are usually higher on parts so it should be helping the company more to sell little stuff like that. I've done a pretty good number of 338BR and 12.7X48 barrels for DT rifles and there are a lot of happy owners out there spreading the DT gospel. Adaptability and variety are what draw a lot of guys to the rifle.
Just my opinions for the most part.

Frank

Last edited:
Will the AMR reticle be available in both the K624i 6-24x56 and the K312 3-12x50? Both illuminated? Or is the absent "i" an indication that the K312's cannot be illuminated?

Do the scopes have side parallax/focus? Or are those top turret markings parallax/focus (or a BDC)?

Last edited:
Nick,
Nice pic's and initial review, I like what I see and read so far. I'm impressed that the floating dot doesn't seem to be an issue like I was initially thinking, very effective reticle, good job! When do you think they will be available? by the end of the year? I would like one of these for Christmas please!!!!!
Sully

I will get with Kahles to get updated availability info. They should be available now but I want to make sure they aren't waiting on me for anything.

Hey guys, has anyone seen a monopod like this one before? all the one I've seen has a really thin rod. I'm in the process of buying a used DTA SRS Covert, just want to make sure it's a legit gen2 since the guy who's selling doesn't really know. He says he got the gun recently from a friend. I'm pretty sure that all converts are gen2, is that right? thanks for your help

20130715_080417.jpg

Thanks Orkan, I don't have the rifle yet, just some pictures. I'm hoping to join the owner club soon. How do you guys like the Horus h37 reticle btw? anyone using it with the DTA SRS? From what I've been reading here on the hide it's either love it or hate it.

The H37 isn't optimized the way the H58/59 is, so most folks prefer the latter. The H37 pretty much covers your view with reticle subtensions, making it uber busy. But yes, some people like that.

Can't tell you how many times I've shot with people whom were using a horus reticle, to hear them expound "Damnit, I was using the wrong crosshair!"

Amazing how easy it is to get lost in that grid. I'm not a fan. Though I'm a dialer.

That's what I've being hearing about the horus, the scope is an amazing deal otherwise. I asked the guy to take a picture of the barrel extension and send it to me and it definitely looks like a gen2, can someone please do me a favor and confirm?

20130715_163729 (1).jpg

I've also asked the guy what the serial number is for the rifle, he said he's new to the rifle and he couldn't find it because the rifle was painted over with multicam, can someone let me know where the serial number is located so I can tell him to look for it? thanks guys for the help!

Last edited:
That's what I've being hearing about the horus, the scope is an amazing deal otherwise. I asked the guy to take a picture of the barrel extension and send it to me and it definitely looks like a gen2, can someone please do me a favor and confirm?

I've also asked the guy what the serial number is for the rifle, he said he's new to the rifle and he couldn't find it because the rifle was painted over with multicam, can someone let me know where the serial number is located so I can tell him to look for it? thanks guys for the help!

Serial number, at least on the gen 1's is right above the front edge of the skins just behind the handguard on the right side of the receiver. Above and forward of the trigger.....

Gen 1 extensions have a little tiny slot in the bottom of the rear end. It doesn't go all the way through. If you see one you'll realize its possible to tell a gen 1 from a 2 for at least a mile....obvious when you know but not when you don't.

hope that helps

Frank

Thanks guys for all your help. I'll keep you updated when the rifle gets here and I'll post some pictures. Still need to get a scope for it soon.

Can someone let me know what the avrage muzzle velocity they are getting with their 22" 308 barrels shooting 168gr FGMM. I know each barrel will be different but I don't have a chrono yet and need a good start point for a dope sheet.

Thanks!

just heard that my A1 Covert (monopod included, I was nervous about what someone mentioned earlier) has been delivered to my shop.. very excited right now ;)

dude I would not be able to sleep I'd sit in the gun shop watching and saying "your going to be mine very soon just nine more days" Ugh dude that sucks, its like being a dog on a chain with someone holding a nice juicy steak just out of your reach.

After a while you kind of get used to it, as pointless as it is. CA shooters refer to it as "being in jail" actually and since you're 14, I'll fill you in on the why. It was instituted back decades ago as an attempt to hinder people from buying a gun with the intent of putting it to use against someone (there were cases of guys who bought a gun and then went home and shot their wife or went to work and shot their boss). That's why they consider it a "cooling off period", like that's going to prevent them from going another route. You can imagine my amazement when I moved to New Zealand and discovered that I could walk into a hunting shop, buy a rifle, ammo and suppressor, and take it home immediately after paying.

Nice to see an SRS in San Francisco :)

10 painful California days..
View attachment 11762

I surprised you have to wait 10 days from delivery to your dealer. I would have thought it would been a 10 day wait from original order date. Since you ordered this months ago, you already did your 10 day wait...

I am using reasonable logic though, not politician logic. I think you will be thrilled once you have it in hand.

I think you'll find both held in high regard here, however availability will most likely be the deciding factor for you.

On a semi-related note, from what I can tell the TB and DTA brakes are nearly identical (minus the Claymore warning). Does TB make them for DTA contract?

I On a semi-related note, from what I can tell the TB and DTA brakes are nearly identical (minus the Claymore warning). Does TB make them for DTA contract?

I'd like to know too. The QD brakes sure do look alike, I wonder if their thread patterns are the same.

I surprised you have to wait 10 days from delivery to your dealer. I would have thought it would been a 10 day wait from original order date. Since you ordered this months ago, you already did your 10 day wait...

I am using reasonable logic though, not politician logic. I think you will be thrilled once you have it in hand.

It's a 10 day waiting period from the time you fill out the DROS registration paperwork at the FFL/LGS where you plan to receive it. The DROS paperwork can be initiated before the rifle actually arrives, but not by more than 30 days. If the rifle doesn't arrive within that time frame, the sale is cancelled and the paperwork would have to be initiated again, with another 10-day wait. I usually initiate the paperwork as soon as I know the rifle is about to be shipped. Depending on shipping time, the rifle usually only has to sit in jail at most few days or so before I can pick it up.

On a semi-related note, from what I can tell the TB and DTA brakes are nearly identical (minus the Claymore warning). Does TB make them for DTA contract?

I have a TB brake from my .308 suppressor on my 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, and I already have a DTA suppressor brake on my 338. The brakes have a similar design, but when you see them in person, they are noticeably different. I doubt they are made by the same folks. Maybe DTA can chime in to tell you for sure.

I have a TB brake from my .308 suppressor on my 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, and I already have a DTA suppressor brake on my 338. The brakes have a similar design, but when you see them in person, they are noticeably different. I doubt they are made by the same folks. Maybe DTA can chime in to tell you for sure.

Does the thread protector on one of your QD Brakes fit the other?

Can someone let me know what the avrage muzzle velocity they are getting with their 22" 308 barrels shooting 168gr FGMM. I know each barrel will be different but I don't have a chrono yet and need a good start point for a dope sheet.

Thanks!

Anyone willing to help a bradah out?

Not completely sure, as I shoot the 175s. Wish I could help out more and give you some exact numbers, but FWIW I'd start with 2650 fps...

If you are running "Shooter" or "Ballistic" ballistic programs, they'll let you 'true' your dope (i.e correct your MV) once you know your actual drops out at a few distances.

Cox, I sent ya a PM with one of my old drop charts that I used with my 22" 308 DTA conversion. Hope that helps...

Last edited:
yeah my dad lived in cali for 40 years, thats the reason why we moved to oregon he got sick of it, and all the new laws that are only hurting the good guys, and here we can buy a gun in 1 day go in the store say I want to buy it go to the counter background check pass then your good to go takes like 10 mins

cox308 - see page 15 of this thread, 5 posts from the top. There are MVs listed for several different loads. I really can't believe you didn't take the time to carefully read every single post in the 87 pages of this thread (LOL). Hope that helps.

I'm taking my SRS apart to get it cerakoted. Is there some secret trick to getting those three little pins out that are on the left side that are something to do with the trigger?

Edit: nevermind it looks like the secret is to use a real hammer and not a rubber mallet.

Last edited:
We make our own QD brakes and we are the originator of this break design, we designed and manufactured it prior to TB or AWC. We also originated the idea of backward compatibility on the brakes for the 338 and 30 cal cans. Not trying to knock TB or AWC just stating the facts.

Last edited:
I'm taking my SRS apart to get it cerakoted

Be careful how thick you apply it around the barrel tenon. I did mine back in 2009 and applied what seemed was the right amount and oven cured it, but when I tried to install the barrel it would no longer fit. The only way around it was to sand down the finish of the thicker tenon area.

Last edited:
the DTA cans are worth the money, only can i would run on my SRS. I ran the stainless for a couple years, great can only reason i got rid of it was to get a TI

so dta srs or covert is what I'm thinking? does the longer handguard help? or does not matter? and what caliber is what I'm thinking, I just think it would be cool to have one of these rifles in a caliber that no one has had yet.

cox308 - see page 15 of this thread, 5 posts from the top. There are MVs listed for several different loads. I really can't believe you didn't take the time to carefully read every single post in the 87 pages of this thread (LOL). Hope that helps.

Thanks gstaylord. Could you let me know what #post that is. I think the page #'s are different for everyone depending on your settings. This thread is 109 pages for me.

Thanks gstaylord. Could you let me know what #post that is. I think the page #'s are different for everyone depending on your settings. This thread is 109 pages for me.

Post #705. There are tables with MVs for both the 16" and 22" DTA barrels.

My SRS does not have a monopod. If I get my rifle painted and later get a monopod would I have to get the new skins painted to match or could I modify my current skin to work with the monopod?