• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Being new to calibers larger then .338, I am curious, will a 20MOA mount get me out to 1500yds with a Nightforce NXS (100MOA adjustment ) in both .50bmg and .375CT?

Although 1000 yards and in will be my norm, I will have access to a 1700 yard range several times a year.

Yes, you should have no problem with that at all. Typical firing solution to 1500yds with 375CT is about 10 mils (36MOA), with the 50BMG needing slightly more at 11.7mils. Granted these are just some numbers from my AO... but you'll likely find you'll have plenty of travel for 1500yds regardless.

With that said, going to a 40moa mount doesn't really have a down side, and should you find yourself in the position to shoot ELR, you won't be limited by your mount.

Being new to calibers larger then .338, I am curious, will a 20MOA mount get me out to 1500yds with a Nightforce NXS (100MOA adjustment ) in both .50bmg and .375CT?

Although 1000 yards and in will be my norm, I will have access to a 1700 yard range several times a year.
I was able to get out to 1640 no problem with a 20 MOA mount on a 5.5-22x56 NF. I still had 20 MOA left on turrets and on my reticle

The general rule of thumb for the 50 at 1000 yards is 28 MOA with a 100 yd. zero. That's what Lee Rasmussen told me at least. I think he'd know.

The general rule of thumb for the 50 at 1000 yards is 28 MOA with a 100 yd. zero. That's what Lee Rasmussen told me at least. I think he'd know.
Not sure what lee's shooting, or where he's shooting it... but I don't think there can really be a "rule of thumb" for a cartridge that can shoot from 600gr bullets on up to 1000gr bullets. With 750amax, I'm showing 22MOA to a grand. That can change in the extreme if I was using a 1000gr lehigh, and if I head to 10,000ft instead of 1300ft where I am. ;)

Not sure what lee's shooting, or where he's shooting it... but I don't think there can really be a "rule of thumb" for a cartridge that can shoot from 600gr bullets on up to 1000gr bullets. With 750amax, I'm showing 22MOA to a grand. That can change in the extreme if I was using a 1000gr lehigh, and if I head to 10,000ft instead of 1300ft where I am. ;)

You're right, I shouldn't have made such a broad statement. I believe he was referring to a general starting point using using the 800 gr. bore riders we were both shooting at the time. I can't comment on elevation since he shoots all over the country. My apologies.

I spoke with Nick last month at the Desert Tech match in Utah. After shooting the match with my SRS, I told him I really wanted 10 round mags and that I felt like not having them was a huge disadvantage in a match format. I also let him know that for it to be useful to me it could not extend below the butt stock (which means it will need to involve some sort of double stack mechanism). He told me that they are working on it and that they are also working on a left handed SRS.

It was a little funny, because after we spoke they announced the winner of the match. I was a little shocked, but had ended up with the win even though there were a couple stages where I was forced to do mag changes when guys running 10 rd mags didn't have to worry about a mag change. I guess the mag issue was not as big of an issue as I thought that day.

For those that want to see my ugly mug and read a little about the comp. Rob Wilkinson: King of Powder Keg | Com-Link

Desert Tech knows how to throw a great match and I highly encourage anyone within driving distance to attend the next one.

I hope to see ten round mags and left handed srs rifles sooner than later, but I am also looking forward to Desert Tech's MDR rifle, which I know they have been working extremely hard on.

I have been a DTA dealer for nearly 4 years and been shooting an SRS for that long too. I am glad to be 10 minutes from their facility here in Salt Lake where I can drop by routinely to pick up products and chat with the Desert Tech employees. The SRS is a fantastic rifle system as I am sure the MDR will be as well. Nick has a great company with talented employees and I believe Desert Tech has a very bright future. I am anxiously awaiting their new products, but until then, I will throughly enjoy the Desert Tech products that I own.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Has anyone had any issues with lite firing pin strikes on their DTA SRS-A1?

Just going through load development with my new .338 Lapua, have about 50 rounds down the pipe and in the final stages of load development but on the last range session I got 5 lite strikes out of 15 rounds!

Any suggestions before I call DTA and the Canadian importer?

Just going through load development with my new .338 Lapua, have about 50 rounds down the pipe and in the final stages of load development but on the last range session I got 5 lite strikes out of 15 rounds!

Any suggestions before I call DTA and the Canadian importer?

I'm assuming your primer seating depth is uniform. Have you inspected the firing ping? Measure its overall length?

I'm assuming your primer seating depth is uniform. Have you inspected the firing ping? Measure its overall length?

Yes primer seating depth is uniform, I have not measured the overall length of the firing pin but can do that easily.

Do you have a spec for the overall length?

Some early bolts were notorious for light strikes. A bad batch of springs was the culprit if memory serves.

Never hurts to strip your bolt and check for foreign material or sharp edges though.

I just got my DTA SRS and would like to put a sling on it do i can sling it over my shoulder when in the forest. Just wondering how it fits to the rifle, i see one point on the stock that looks like its used to accept a quick release pivot but how dose it connect to the fore grip?

I was thinking this for the fore grip:
Detachable QD Heavy Duty Quick Push Button Sling Swivel SET Picatinny Mount 20mm | eBay

and this for the stock:
Uncle Mikes QD Push Button Detachable Swivels 1011 2 FIT 1" Slings Hunting | eBay

would those options work? I cant seem to find anything other that those china models

Some early bolts were notorious for light strikes. A bad batch of springs was the culprit if memory serves.

Never hurts to strip your bolt and check for foreign material or sharp edges though.

Thanks guys, I will strip the bolt and take a look. I am sure that it will be easily resolved.

Just a side note this one of the most accurate rifles I have owned (and I have many custom rifles), she is shooting sub 1/2 MOA and have shot sub 1/4 MOA with the 300 grain Hybrid UNBELIVEABLE for a factory rifle!

I just got my SRS in 308 and had a question. Has anyone ran the delta p thread adapter? Any issues? My suppressor is in the 5/8x24.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Also on a .338LM. However, I seated primers for that batch with a Co-Ax instead of my hand primer, so I haven't ruled that out as the culprit. Let us know what you find out.

I am looking for some recommendations for a new caliber in the SRS. I currently run the 6.5 SAUM and a .338 Norma Magnum AI. Any suggestions? I have a Remington 700 in .308 so maybe something different or I can get the standard .308... any thoughts?

I am looking for some recommendations for a new caliber in the SRS. I currently run the 6.5 SAUM and a .338 Norma Magnum AI. Any suggestions? I have a Remington 700 in .308 so maybe something different or I can get the standard .308... any thoughts?

SAC .223 will be cool for something different

I'm waiting on a .243 Imp 30deg, it's similar to the 6mm Competition Match. You could also look at the 300 Norma Magnum, I want to do one of those after I get the stamp for my 338BA.

I'm waiting on a .243 Imp 30deg, it's similar to the 6mm Competition Match. You could also look at the 300 Norma Magnum, I want to do one of those after I get the stamp for my 338BA.

A .243 Ackley Improved with 115gr DTACs or some of the 105gr pills will get you a phenomenally flat shooting cartage with very little recoil!

A .243 Ackley Improved with 115gr DTACs or some of the 105gr pills will get you a phenomenally flat shooting cartage with very little recoil!

I looked at the AI version but picked the simpler 30deg for simplicity. The ballistics Robert Whitley publishes indicate it has the same characteristics as the 6.5 SAUM (long barrel life with moderate pressures). I also didn't want to chance feeding issues with the AI.

6.5X47, 260 rem are good intermediate types. I like the 338BR for subsonic shooting with a very short barrel(16-17"). That keeps it very compact even with the suppressor installed. 12.7 X 48 is a neat one once again primarily for the subsonics. Lots of neat choices out there and the toughest issue is choosing.

Frank

6.5X47, 260 rem are good intermediate types. I like the 338BR for subsonic shooting with a very short barrel(16-17"). That keeps it very compact even with the suppressor installed. 12.7 X 48 is a neat one once again primarily for the subsonics. Lots of neat choices out there and the toughest issue is choosing.

Frank

How well does the SRS feed the BR case? Does the bolt catch on the next round in the magazine?

Last edited:
How well does the SRS feed the BR case? Does the bolt catch on the next round in the magazine?

I have had no issues with feeding in the normal .308 mags for the 338BR. The only thing that has happened is an occasional case dropped if I don't cycle the bolt normally. If you pull it back too slowly it will sometimes drop it. Same is true of the 6.5 X 47 and any of the other shorter cases we shoot out of these. It doesn't happen often and normal operation of the bolt doesn't seem to create the issue.

Frank

I have had no issues with feeding in the normal .308 mags for the 338BR. The only thing that has happened is an occasional case dropped if I don't cycle the bolt normally. If you pull it back too slowly it will sometimes drop it. Same is true of the 6.5 X 47 and any of the other shorter cases we shoot out of these. It doesn't happen often and normal operation of the bolt doesn't seem to create the issue.

Frank

That's interesting. I'll have to make up some dummy rounds and play around with it. Thanks.

Anyone out there shooting an SRS WITHOUT the mono-pod? If so are you bagging for a rear support? If so what bag set up?

I ask this because I Ordered my SRS-A1 without the Pod; At the time I thought $350 was an obscene price for a threaded insert w/screw. Now reading over several threads about how the SRS monopod is the greatest thing since sliced bread has got me thinking..... Is it actually worth the price?

Anyone have a video of the actual mono-pod operation?