• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Is everyone using a bore guide to clean or just taking the barrel out and cleaning in a vice? That would be nice to keep crap out of the action.

I just sighted my DT in today. I don’t have a mount for either of my suppressors so I had to shoot without. There’s just a tad bit of blast/concussion from the barrel, I guess because it’s much closer to my face and ears than a regular bolt. But man I’m impressed with the accuracy even without a barrel break in! I can’t wait to get my suppressor mounts! I was seriously considering getting a 300 Norma barrel as well, but for what I need, it’s too much. I need something in a 7mm caliber. 7mm wsm or something else similar. I want a spiral fluted barrel and definitely 5/8-24 threads.

I sold a new Factory DT 26”, 7WSM barrel to another hide member last month for $800. Which I thought was a good deal for them. I got a good deal on the rifle and didn’t need the barrel so I passed on the savings to them.

I mean selling an entire system, SRS A1 Gen2 barrels and all? I am thinking something like that is gonna go 5-6k? that's what I mean.

Used A1 chassis with one conversion (bolt, mag, barrel) should be around $4200-$4400 depending on condition and sellers motivation. Add a second barrel and you’re in the $5000-$5200 ballpark. Problem with that is you have to find the right buyer who wants those exact calibers.
Those prices are my opinions only.

Reactions: Sako man
Used A1 chassis with one conversion (bolt, mag, barrel) should be around $4200-$4400 depending on condition and sellers motivation. Add a second barrel and you’re in the $5000-$5200 ballpark. Problem with that is you have to find the right buyer who wants those exact calibers.

I agree- I would be more likely to list with "chassis with one conversion for $4400, barrel(s) only for $850 each, or package for $5000 all in."

Don't be afraid to sell the chassis and a bolt/magazine alone, but you might consider mandating that you sell at least one barrel prior to chassis selling alone.

Ok, good to know. Thanks!

I’m still tinkering with my new Desert Tech 6.5 Creedmoor. I need to get the trigger tuned a little better but I’m still getting 1/4” groups at 150 yards! Not bad I’m impressed! I just need to get another scope mount as well.

Hey guys who are you all using for custom smiths? I need a 300WM barrel but with a custom profile. Super thin to shave weight for hunting. Thanks!

If anyone on here is looking for a used 338 Lapua kit let me know as I am selling mine, I have it in the PX if you want pictures. Thanks

Hey guys who are you all using for custom smiths? I need a 300WM barrel but with a custom profile. Super thin to shave weight for hunting. Thanks!

JComfort with DMR rifles, They can do anything and they're extremely accurate for the best price around! Find him here on the hide a few pages back.

But man I’m impressed with the accuracy even without a barrel break in! I can’t wait to get my suppressor mounts!

What break in process were you going with? I did the Tubbs Final Finish with my 308 Ruger RPR... that took a VERY long time! Especially with mixing it with the cleaning procedure after each round.

In my opinion, Tubbs Final Finish is for Remington 700’s with crap barrels. I would not use it our guns.
The only break in procedure I’ve done for Desert Tech is no break in procedure at all. Just go shoot, start load development after 100 rounds or so.

Reactions: Sericus
In my opinion, Tubbs Final Finish is for Remington 700’s with crap barrels. I would not use it our guns.
The only break in procedure I’ve done for Desert Tech is no break in procedure at all. Just go shoot, start load development after 100 rounds or so.
Same here.

Reactions: Sericus
Took mine out the other day and was running Desert Tech 175 ammo.. No breaking and this is what the rifle did. This was in the first 20 rounds.

Hope this one is better.

Attachments

• IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
5 rounds l know l pulled one. Sorry to let you guys down.

5 rounds l know l pulled one. Sorry to let you guys down.
No way. Awesome shooting. Seemed like 3 above and the one lower. I was thinking 4-5 rd . I need to get out more , shooting. Been working on a new reloading room this winter spring , bought a few 1050’s and 650’s . No room in my reloading room now.

The only thing that I’ve done is sight in my scope. I might change the scope mount from a Larue 34mm 20moa to either a Desert Tech one piece or the Hawkins one piece. I’ve never seen the Hawkins mount so I’m not sure about it. I’ve got a Khales 624i scope on my DT 6.5 Creedmoor. When I was getting my scope zeroed I used a few types and weights of ammo. I would shoot 3 rounds of each, but my go to has been Hornady Precision Hunter. I’ve been able to shoot less than 1/2 moa with everything I have tried! I’ve only put 30 rounds maximum through the rifle and it’s crazy accurate. If I could get the creep reduced just a little more I’m sure I could shrink the groups. This has all been without my suppressors I shoot or any brake of sorts. I did just get a muzzle brake mount for my suppressor so I’m very excited to shoot it some more as I know that I’ll get even better results. So I don’t plan on doing any type of barrel break in at all, I probably won’t clean the barrel until I shoot another 20 rounds. I honestly don’t know what else I could do to improve the accuracy other than getting used to the trigger. It’s the first time I’ve ever seen much less shoot a Desert Tech bullpup rifle!

I called and left a message with Snipe Custom Arms and never got a call back. Do we know if he is still in business? I would like to try one of his custom gen ll knobs.
I bought these awhile back and had them cerakote and lazer engraved , I think they are snipe custom arms but I'm not positive.

Attachments

• IMG_3939.JPG
    IMG_3939.JPG
    796.9 KB · Views: 105
Anyone use any type of rail extension to mount a clip on to their covert length hand guard? ADM makes an Eotech riser that looks like it might work for me but not sure if it’ll clear the ocular lense of the PVS 30
Not a covert , but here's a srs with atn ps22.

Attachments

• IMG_3934.JPG
    IMG_3934.JPG
    886.5 KB · Views: 87

That's a lot of barrels. I have to ask, do you use all of them or do some just sit collecting dust? I want more barrels but I'm afraid I won't swap barrels enough to justify buying more calibers. I have a 308, 260 and 7 wsm in my srs and a .260 and 308 in my covert. Right now the 223 kit is next on my list

For those that were looking for a good custom barrel I would highly suggest Eric Smith with ES Tactical http://www.es-tactical.com/shop/Desert-Tech/ES-Tactical-SRS-Barrels--Conversion-Kits.htm.
These were some groups I got today during barrel break in on a new 28” 6.5CM he sent me. All I had to use were rounds I already had loaded from a different rifle. I did however re-seat some of them just to play with seating depth during break in. All of the groups are five shot groups. I have never seen a barrel careless so much about varied seating depths. On top of everything else it was windy and 29 degreees today.
Couldn’t be happier with this barrel.

Attachments

• EBCF11E4-C06C-4EAA-844C-B88E8FAA35DB.jpeg
    EBCF11E4-C06C-4EAA-844C-B88E8FAA35DB.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 3DBD1991-F511-4A21-8617-AB5B489F56AE.jpeg
    3DBD1991-F511-4A21-8617-AB5B489F56AE.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 2F145E6C-D145-4B52-89B7-9DCB0577FFFE.jpeg
    2F145E6C-D145-4B52-89B7-9DCB0577FFFE.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
1badbarrel is that a bolt knob a gen I from Snipe custom?

That's a lot of barrels. I have to ask, do you use all of them or do some just sit collecting dust? I want more barrels but I'm afraid I won't swap barrels enough to justify buying more calibers. I have a 308, 260 and 7 wsm in my srs and a .260 and 308 in my covert. Right now the 223 kit is next on my list
I’ve used the short action more than the magnums. I’m on the wet side of wa and I had a nice clear cut with steel out to 1000yd but they been logging up there since last summer, so I’ve just been messing with ar15’s and haven’t got much time on a few of the barrels that came in right as I lost my go to shooting spot.. Soon as there outta there Ill be shooting my dt routinely.(anyone got a good place to shoot long range in western wa, pm me)I really like the sac223rem , accurate, low recoil, likes most gr. Bullets and cheap to reload, fun.

This is the most awesome thing I have seen all week. What calibers you're running and what are your favorite 3 calibers are, if you had to get rid of 5 of those barrels. Also, I suspect you have different barrel brands and smiths; do you have a favorite?
Thanks. As far as calibers so far I have sac223rem , sac6creedmoor , ts customs primal rights 6.5 creedmoor, fireguyty 6.5saum , fireguyty 7rm , desert tech 308 win , fireguyty 300win , and ts customs primalrights 338lm. It’s tuff to say about my favorite calibers , I like them all and want more soon as I get out shooting more , but I’d say 6.5cm , 223rem, 338lm. All the smiths I have used have been great and I would think all the ones the guys have been recommended on here would spin up a excellent barrel.Guys may have there one go to smith or vendor but I have bought from a few and my next barrel probably will go through benchmark cause they are just up the road not to far and been in there , great people. They talked for half an hour about gun stuff , bore scoped a few barrels , with higher rd count , ect.

Got a barrel question. When the extension is removed from a barrel, does that thread pitch match the threads or any other common bolt actions or is it specific to the entensions themself?

It’s a snipe custom arms -Sparta tactical , just measured it at 1.25’’, so gen ll I believe.
Ok thanks. I have called and sent messages but no answer. I guess he is out. I hope not for good and that he can make more of the gen II. If he does I will order one or two.

You can also consider trading barrels, or having them modified (shortened, rechambered, etc) to better suit your current needs.

Has anyone had a barrel cut and rechambered? What's the limit on cut length if it's possible?

I emailed Snipe about the gen 2 knobs and they responded "in stock in a couple of months ". That was about a year ago and they're still not showing that they have them. Just FYI...

I've been working on getting back into the habit of logging on to Sniper's Hide. I apologize if some of my PM responses have been slow, feel free to reach out to me anytime.

We keep Gen II extensions on hand as well as blanks from Hawk Hill, Benchmark and a few Bartleins. We are the folks that had been doing the machine work for fireguyty and now that he's preoccupied with the NRL/.22NRL we are continuing to offer them direct. I've been keeping busy and got a few barrels done while off for SHOT Show. I think next year I'm going to head into the show and check things out.

For a night force atacr 5-25, what moa spurh mount should I get? Also what height? Could I use the Spuhr 34mm, Height- 37mm/1.46in, SP-4802? Was told that'll be perfect for the Vortex Razor Gen 2, but right now I have the Atacr in hand. Was kinda hoping to get the sp-4802 and switch to the vortex once I can get one.

For a night force atacr 5-25, what moa spurh mount should I get? Also what height? Could I use the Spuhr 34mm, Height- 37mm/1.46in, SP-4802? Was told that'll be perfect for the Vortex Razor Gen 2, but right now I have the Atacr in hand. Was kinda hoping to get the sp-4802 and switch to the vortex once I can get one.

To be very specific about it you'd need to consider the ammo and distances you'll be shooting. A 208 amax going 2600fps needs 32.6MOA to hit 1000 yards, so there's plenty already in the scope for that. A 20moa mount would get that to 2100 yards.

That mount will work just fine. I had my Razor ii in a 40 moa mount and have my 7-35 ATACR in a 30 moa spuhr with plenty of travel left if I wanted to do a 40 moa.

To be very specific about it you'd need to consider the ammo and distances you'll be shooting. A 208 amax going 2600fps needs 32.6MOA to hit 1000 yards, so there's plenty already in the scope for that. A 20moa mount would get that to 2100 yards.

I'll be shooting 338 Prime 300gr HPBT, for a Gunsite extreme long distance class. It said out to 2km, but I'm sure that's for the 50 cals, and the 338 won't reach that. Looking to be able to use the same mount for short 308 and 6.5 with a covert as well.

I'll be shooting 338 Prime 300gr HPBT, for a Gunsite extreme long distance class. It said out to 2km, but I'm sure that's for the 50 cals, and the 338 won't reach that. Looking to be able to use the same mount for short 308 and 6.5 with a covert as well.

My DTA has the 30moa mount with a Premier 5-25. I've shot 300wm to 1760 yards and I also shoot 308/260/338LM 100-1000 yards regularly.

I have been following this thread for a few weeks now and would like to purchase my first DTA. I like the idea of getting rid of a few of my rifles and having one chassis and scope with the ability to go from .22 up to .338.

I cannot decide on the SRS A1 or a Covert. Does anyone have the SRS A1 and with they would have gotten the Covert or vise a versa? I like the idea of using a shorter barrel on the Covert but not sure how many barrels I buy would actualy be less than 22" however the idea of a 16" 308, 18" Creedmoore and 20" 300 Win all suppressed sounds fun. I keep thinking the Covert will be shorter and lighter for hunting but actually doubt I would pack it in on a backpack hunt so most of its life would be a range gun. Any insight on going one vs the other from the experienced crowd on here would be appreciates. Thanks!