• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

"This is a very uneducated question since I'm contemplating getting a DT SRS A1. How do you all like the trigger on yours?"

When I first got my SRS the trigger had a little creep. Most SRS A-1s come with a trigger that is adjustable for both pull weight and creep. For some reason, my trigger did not have a creep adjustment screw. I called DTA customer service to see if I could buy the more adjustable trigger. Instead, they suggested I send the chassis in and let them have a look at it. They did some work to it (but did not replace it) and it came back with the best trigger of any rifle I have ever owned. I actually like it better than my TRG-22 trigger and that is extremely high praise indeed! It now has a 1.5 lb pull weight, zero creep and is extremely consistent. I've put at least 600 rounds through it since I got it back and it has been flawless. And by the way, no charge for the work, DTA covered the shipping both ways and turn around time was two weeks including round trip shipping.

Reactions: Juggerxxx
"This is a very uneducated question since I'm contemplating getting a DT SRS A1. How do you all like the trigger on yours?"

When I first got my SRS the trigger had a little creep. Most SRS A-1s come with a trigger that is adjustable for both pull weight and creep. For some reason, my trigger did not have a creep adjustment screw. I called DTA customer service to see if I could buy the more adjustable trigger. Instead, they suggested I send the chassis in and let them have a look at it. They did some work to it (but did not replace it) and it came back with the best trigger of any rifle I have ever owned. I actually like it better than my TRG-22 trigger and that is extremely high praise indeed! It now has a 1.5 lb pull weight, zero creep and is extremely consistent. I've put at least 600 rounds through it since I got it back and it has been flawless. And by the way, no charge for the work, DTA covered the shipping both ways and turn around time was two weeks including round trip shipping.
That sounds like about as good of an experience as you can get in customer support. I'll be cancelling the Nucleus pre-order and starting to save for an SRS A1 or Covert.

That is awesome customer support. I love my trigger after adjusting the creep and weight as low as possible.

Today was the first time I have ever shot past a mile and had a ton of fun. Had a ton of issues with my DOPE but after sorting that out after the match I was able to connect 8 times at a mile. I even connected at a few yards short of 2000 yards. Here is a video taken with the drone at 1 mile. Ran out of memory so I didn’t get the other shots on video. Next time I will Rick getting closer to the target.

Reactions: 1badbarrel
1mile
9C1801C4-F56F-4C18-A81F-CF95E0EB2BC1.png

Reactions: 1badbarrel
@NateVA the triggers are awesome ! I have mine set at about 1 lbs. Give it take, no creep for me.

Here's the capability of a DT factory barrels. Here's my 300WM at 102 yards, 5 shot group.

Then the second pic is a factory 6.5x47 Lapua DT barrel , shot by my ugly twin! I think he was using factory loads... 5 shots

So get a DT! Factory barrels are fine

Attachments

• 20180504_145301.jpg
    20180504_145301.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 20170406_170023.jpg
    20170406_170023.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: MACHTECH
I just won SRS A1 in .260 on GB. If I want to shoot .308 and .223 do I only need the barrel in the appropriate caliber since it has bolt/magazine?
Any other hints/tips/suggestions appreciated.

I just won SRS A1 in .260 on GB. If I want to shoot .308 and .223 do I only need the barrel in the appropriate caliber since it has bolt/magazine?

No, you need to get the full conversion from SAC. They are the only ones that make the 223 conversion.

For 308, yes you only need the barrel to go from 260 to 308.

It is great to hear that DT has awesome customer service & that they did not charge you. I have always loved their bolt-action rifles, wanting one for years. One day I am going to save up and buy one; it's been my dream gun for a while.

Sir,
Which barrel did you get?

Cro , i have DT 300wm , 308 and 6.5 cr barrels . unfortunately aftermarket barrels are harder to come by in australia . otherwise id have a few more . the factory barrels are fantastic . Low SD/ES on all 3 of them and repeatable

Lucky bastard. If I were you, I'd forget about 308 and shoot that 260. If you don't want to invest in all the requisite reloading stuff, the Hornady factory match ammo with the ELD bullet shoots pretty much lights-out.

Reactions: Andy T
Has anyone had good success with any of the 6mm cartridges? I'd love to be able to run the Dasher, but willing to look at others.

6mm Creedmoor works well for me. Haven't heard of anyone using the shorter 6mm cases in DTAs, but it would be pretty cool if that could be done. It would probably need a redesigned mag along the lines of what SAC developed for their 223 conversion.

Cro , i have DT 300wm , 308 and 6.5 cr barrels . unfortunately aftermarket barrels are harder to come by in australia . otherwise id have a few more . the factory barrels are fantastic . Low SD/ES on all 3 of them and repeatable
Oh ok I have the factory barrel in 308 as well and it did the 3 in 1 I showed earlier. I am looking at the 6.5 as well.

If I want to convert from .308 to 6.5 cm all I need to do is to change the barrel right? It uses the same bolt ,mag and bolt stop right?

Lucky bastard. If I were you, I'd forget about 308 and shoot that 260. If you don't want to invest in all the requisite reloading stuff, the Hornady factory match ammo with the ELD bullet shoots pretty much lights-out.
Lucky, indeed; wish I were you. I've been trying to save up for one for a looong time (still not there), but hope to be some day. Enjoy it!

This is one of the Desert Tech guns I would love to own some day.

I really like the .375 Cheytac caliber.

Love my 6.5 covert. How ever. I just attached a can on. Is there a way to shorten my factory barrel. ( its fluted). To maybe 20inches. And still have enough at end to thread for suppressor. 3/4x 24

I had a barrel spun up for my SRS in 284 Win and I'm having feeding problems. The short action mag is too short to accommodate the long 7mm bullets. I tried a long/magnum action mag and that won't work either. I thought by bending the mag lips a little I might get it to work, but the gap doesn't seem to be the problem. The mag lips are just too short. The case releases before the bullet has entered the chamber. The short action mag lips extend much further towards the front of the mag and hold the case securely until the bullet enters the chamber.

The only way it appears that I could get this to work would be to create a hybrid mag by removing the spacer in a short action mag and then inserting a long action follower. The spacer appears to be tack welded in and probably impossible to remove without destroying the mag.

Am I missing something? Has anybody found a way to run medium length cases like the 284 Win successfully?

Reactions: Bradu
What you need is some modified mags from Desert tech solutions but I think I read he's taking a break for a while. He made a couple magazines for my 7 wsm that run perfectly, I honestly think they run better than a factory magazine on a factory conversion. I can't think of his screen name on here though.

I had a barrel spun up for my SRS in 284 Win and I'm having feeding problems. The short action mag is too short to accommodate the long 7mm bullets. I tried a long/magnum action mag and that won't work either. I thought by bending the mag lips a little I might get it to work, but the gap doesn't seem to be the problem. The mag lips are just too short. The case releases before the bullet has entered the chamber. The short action mag lips extend much further towards the front of the mag and hold the case securely until the bullet enters the chamber.

The only way it appears that I could get this to work would be to create a hybrid mag by removing the spacer in a short action mag and then inserting a long action follower. The spacer appears to be tack welded in and probably impossible to remove without destroying the mag.

Am I missing something? Has anybody found a way to run medium length cases like the 284 Win successfully?
I coulda told you that, a friend tried that years ago and ended up so frustrated he sold the whole rifle. @soniccrack might be able to mod the mags for you.

I coulda told you that, a friend tried that years ago and ended up so frustrated he sold the whole rifle. @soniccrack might be able to mod the mags for you.

I guess I should have done a little more homework on this before ordering the barrel.

I just reached out to Sonic Crack. Bradu thinks he might be taking some time off, but hopefully he can help me out if he is still working. If not, no big deal. The barrel shoots really well and I love the caliber. I have another rifle chambered in it so I already had all the dies and loading supplies on hand. Worst case scenario, It'll be a single shot rifle with the 284 Win barrel. I intended it solely for LR target shooting anyway, not hunting or PRS.

Reactions: coldboremiracle
I guess I should have done a little more homework on this before ordering the barrel.

I just reached out to Sonic Crack. Bradu thinks he might be taking some time off, but hopefully he can help me out if he is still working. If not, no big deal. The barrel shoots really well and I love the caliber. I have another rifle chambered in it so I already had all the dies and loading supplies on hand. Worst case scenario, It'll be a single shot rifle with the 284 Win barrel. I intended it solely for LR target shooting anyway, not hunting or PRS.
Thats why I went with the SAUM, not nearly as tempermental as the 284, and just a touch spicier.

Anyone know where I can order ejector pins and springs along with the roll pin for the A1 300wm size bolt? I couldn't find anything on the DT website.

Interesting about the feeding issues with the .284... I have been thinking of doing a 280AI and now I am wondering if I will have the same issue. Has anyone tried 280AI?

Anybody using 6.5PRC and if so, what mags or modifications did you need to do to the mags?

Anybody using 6.5PRC and if so, what mags or modifications did you need to do to the mags?

I assume it will be the same modifications as the 6.5 SAUM needed. Standard Mag and open up the lips a bit... I used a HS precision mag tool. Worked like a charm!

Reactions: Jeffd
Ok gents, for the life of me, I cannot make up my mind on what other caliber to get for my SRS. My buddies are shooting out to 2K yards, and I’d like something with more oomph than my 6.5. Anyone have an informed opinion between 338LM and 300NM?

I don’t reload, so the more exotic calibers are out. And no, I don’t mind spending $4/rd.

I like the 338 LM quite a lot. I've built a few 300 NM barrels for customers and they like them too.....but still shoot the 338LM out further. You'll probably find the 338 ammo easier to find for a while yet though the 300 NM will become more common over time I'm sure.
You limit yourself quite a lot by not loading your own. There are a lot of other choices that are not commercially available.

Frank

I don't remember who was talking about a 375 cheytac in an srs but I see where David Tubb is coming out with a 33xc that will give similar performance to a 375 cheytac on a lapua bolt face. Just thought I would post about it in case they haven't seen it on Facebook

Reactions: Jabba954
I don't remember who was talking about a 375 cheytac in an srs but I see where David Tubb is coming out with a 33xc that will give similar performance to a 375 cheytac on a lapua bolt face. Just thought I would post about it in case they haven't seen it on Facebook

Very interesting. I know he’s been shooting a .375 bullet out of a 338lm case in his adaptive target rifle. I’m presuming the 33xc is an evolution of that cartridge. Cool stuff.

Reactions: Jabba954
That was me. I bought some once fired Peterson 375 brass from Tubb and was tossing the idea of a project around. I haven’t seen his FB page in a while; thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bradu
That was me. I bought some once fired Peterson 375 brass from Tubb and was tossing the idea of a project around. I haven’t seen his FB page in a while; thanks for the heads up.

It looks interesting and will be a single feed set up if our rifles will work for it. I did ask if it will work with a 1.25" tennon but haven't heard back yet.

6cravemoor also works well for me.

Yeah, some guys in my club started with 6 Creedmoor but have been switching over to 6 Dasher or 6 XC. I'm not exactly sure the reason.

Since 6.5 x 47 is fully supported I figure 6 x 47 would also work, but am curious about others. Thanks!

ETA: With the appearance of small primer Creedmoor brass, though, the appeal of 6x47 Lapua is a lot less…

Last edited:
Found out today that Desert Tech sells Covert handguards that you can buy to convert an SRS A1 to a Covert when needed, that's pretty cool and something I'll probably immediately buy once I order the chassis in a few months.

Found out today that Desert Tech sells Covert handguards that you can buy to convert an SRS A1 to a Covert when needed, that's pretty cool and something I'll probably immediately buy once I order the chassis in a few months.

Im guessing they do a covert to a standard srs-a1 as well too right? What is the pricing on it?

My 6xc barrel is my favorite. Easy to load for, works well in the SRS, no recoil, very accurate.
I have 6 barrels right now, trying to reduce that to 3; 6xc, 6.5 SAUM, and 300 NM.
What brass are you running in your saum and how's it holding up?