• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

After you finish painting do you put any type of clear coat or top finish to keep it from scratching and protecting it from being knocked around?

No. My rifles are primarily hunting rigs, so I want the paint to be as flat as possible. Even so, it holds up really well. You have to scrape against it with something really hard (rocks, steel, etc) to scratch it.

Hey guys,

Quick question about the rail. I have a srs a1 and a Geissele super precision mount. The mount will go on flawlessly on the rail that is on the handguard but the lugs are slightly to big for the rails where a scope would be mounted over the receiver. I’ve tried it on every other rifle I have and it goes on fine. Am I missing something? Some unknown secret to get a scope base onto a desert tech?

Sounds like something is out of specification. Do you have calipers that you can measure the spacing in the handguard versus the spacing on top of the action, or another one piece mount you can put on to with to see if it fits?
Is this a new chassis or used?

Finally got around to “tuning” the trigger as per Orkan. I thought the trigger before tuning was really good, but every so often I could detect some creep in the trigger. Now however, after following Orkan’s guide to tuning the trigger I have to say the trigger is exceptional. Makes me love this rifle even more, if that’s possible.

Reactions: Juggerxxx
Finally got around to “tuning” the trigger as per Orkan. I thought the trigger before tuning was really good, but every so often I could detect some creep in the trigger. Now however, after following Orkan’s guide to tuning the trigger I have to say the trigger is exceptional. Makes me love this rifle even more, if that’s possible.

Sir where did you find that?

Sounds like something is out of specification. Do you have calipers that you can measure the spacing in the handguard versus the spacing on top of the action, or another one piece mount you can put on to with to see if it fits?
Is this a new chassis or used?

It’s new. I did end up measuring a few things and the mount was .0010 smaller. I used a little muscle and it popped in. It wasn’t so much that damage was don’t to anything but at the same time it was more than I’d ever had to use before.

Got my 35" Lilja 375 Cheytac shooting CE 352 MTACs like a champ at 3250 fps powered by n570. 5 shots there, about 0.5MOA if you count the "flier" about half that if you don't. Then DT factory ammo, 2 five shot groups pushing about 3200 via Retumbo. One is about 1/4 MOA all 5, the other was ruined by one "flier".

Spun up by Eric Smith at ES Tactical in West Haven Utah. Give him a call if you want a hammer.

Attachments

• 375cheytac_solids.jpg
    375cheytac_solids.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 375_DT_factory_solids.jpg
    375_DT_factory_solids.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 52
Got my 35" Lilja 375 Cheytac shooting CE 352 MTACs like a champ at 3250 fps powered by n570. 5 shots there, about 0.5MOA if you count the "flier" about half that if you don't. Then DT factory ammo, 2 five shot groups pushing about 3200 via Retumbo. One is about 1/4 MOA all 5, the other was ruined by one "flier".

Spun up by Eric Smith at ES Tactical in West Haven Utah. Give him a call if you want a hammer.

Very nice shooting! We were down at Rebel Ridge Outfitters this weekend stretching mine out to 2640. Hit on second attempt and then multiple more times useing the 352 MTAC. This pic was from Sunday after the snow storm blew in.
19926.jpeg

Damn fine shooting secondofangle2. My next DT will be a HTI in 375. Has anyone tried the DT 375 ammo?

Well, I just did a thing and bought a SRS A1 with the 26" 6.5 barrel. It's been a long time coming, but the stars (and funds) finally aligned. I bought a Vortex Razor Gen II and now I am looking for advice on how to mount it. I have already received a lot of positives about the Spuhr and DT mounts, but I have always had good luck with Badger Ordnance. Is anyone running a Badger setup with a Razor II??

I'm using the American Rifle Company M10 mount on my SRS A1. I have a Spuhr mount on a different rifle and it is very nice, goes without saying. I have a bit of a "man crush" on Ted at American Rifle Company since starting to use his products. I have multiple sets of M10 rings, a couple mounts, Nucleus action, etc.....I just really like his design philosophy. The reason I like the M10 mount and rings is the way the "clam shell" design retains the scope body.

Damn fine shooting secondofangle2. My next DT will be a HTI in 375. Has anyone tried the DT 375 ammo?
That one target above right is DT factory ammo, albeit old lots in Jamison and Bertram Brass. At $10 a pop, and reloadable for under $3, you're going to want to make your own.

Reactions: panhndl
Got the SAC LH 223 conversion order started. Got the email this morning.

Does anyone have a covert forend they want to get rid of for the first SRS's that came out? Tried Desert Tech and they don't make them anymore.

Third time out to the range with my DTA. Tried out some 215 and 230 Berger ABM ammo I picked up, rifle shoots like a laser! Hitting 5-6 inch plates @ 1000 with ease! Wanted to see what your guys thoughts were on the new .300 PRC, do you think this will catch on with DTA owners? I am interested in it because it affords me the ability to find good factory ammo with high BC .30 caliber bullets and avoid the costs of the .300 Norma and other ELR cartridges. Further information as well I do not have the time to reload nor do I want to spend the amounts of money to buy .300 Norma ammo or .338 Lapua/Norma ammo.

Picture was taken at the 600 yard portion of the range.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_f68.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_f68.jpeg
    650.1 KB · Views: 79
We got a few new reamers in. Looking forward to spinning up a few new SRS barrels!
View attachment 6958403
We got a few new reamers in. Looking forward to spinning up a few new SRS barrels!
View attachment 6958403
When will you have the website updated with the options? The more I think about this the more I get excited.
BTW I had a chance to sample the barrel you just sent me last week and it is looking VERY promising!
Tried two different projectiles to sample velocities as well as minimum and maximum powder charge. One shot per 0.5gr powder increment and all ten shots for both projectiles were all in a 1MOA group. Barrel isn’t even broken in yet and it’s shooting great for a 5gr powder spread!

When will you have the website updated with the options? The more I think about this the more I get excited.
BTW I had a chance to sample the barrel you just sent me last week and it is looking VERY promising!
Tried two different projectiles to sample velocities as well as minimum and maximum powder charge. One shot per 0.5gr powder increment and all ten shots for both projectiles were all in a 1MOA group. Barrel isn’t even broken in yet and it’s shooting great for a 5gr powder spread!
We have a whole new website coming out the start of November that won't be as awkward to navigate and will have the updated offerings.

For the more experienced DTA owners my Google fu is weak.

Can you just buy the bolt face on the newer bolt assemblies and just change that instead of the complete bolt body and head?

I have been looking to get a spare set of FDE skins, anyone know who has them in stock?

Y
I’ve got a question about painting the skins on the Desert Tech. I finally bought a Desert Tech last fall. I was going to get one from Primal Rights and get it with either ODG or FDE and have the receiver and hand guard in one color and the skins another. But I ended up buying a rifle that was all black, why? Because I got a steal on the entire rifle package. I got the rifle for the price of the chassis alone! I had to ask them several times if that was the right price and they said it was, so I drove an hour to the store that had the rifle. When they started to ring it up the guy realized that I was quoted the wrong price. I felt bad because I knew that was way below dealer cost, but they honored the price regardless! So I bought some extra stuff just because of that. Now, what is that best way to paint the skins? I would like to have a 3-4 color paint scheme but not sure what is the best paint to use. Or if I could find another set of skins in ODG or FDE I would just go that route.
ou can order skins from desert tech!

So how does one with a shorter length of pull manage with the long LoP of these bolt pups?

I wear a 32-33 sleeve and have one spacer in, though I ran it with 0 spacers and 2 spacers and didn’t have any issues either.

I received the Hoptic cheekpad today. In the package we’re actually 3 of them, 3 alcohol wipes, a Halloween patch, a flip cap dope sticker. Took a couple minutes to clean and stick it on, very nice. I highly recommend the $20 purchase.

02C97671-AA34-4961-80A1-9B623B1631DF.jpeg

Reactions: Jeffd
They make nice stuff. I put a cheekpiec on shortly after buying my DT. It’s very comfy and wearing very well. Which is to say it still looks new. Their saddles are really nice too.

I wear a 32-33 sleeve and have one spacer in, though I ran it with 0 spacers and 2 spacers and didn’t have any issues either.
I'm only 5' 6" and I have no problem. In fact, I use a spacer or two in the warmer months when I'm shooting in light clothing.

I’m seeing 14.5” as the minimum LoP. Did you guys just alter your normal form for your firing position for the SRS? Using the +/- 1/8” LoP for every inch above/below 5’10” formula, 14.5” makes out for a 6’6” shooter? Or is LoP a detail that’s not finite? I think I’ll toss a bunch of spacers on my AICS and see if mounting it poses a problem.

I feel like I’m very much overthinking this.

I haven't made any alterations to my shooting form.
I just measured my SRS-A1 and it has a 15.25" LOP with no spacers and a Gen 2 buttpad. Remington 700 measures at 13.5". I can feel there is a slight difference between the two but maybe it's the bullpup configuration, but I'm comfortable with it as-is. I don't know if I would be comfortable with a 15+" LOP in a standard configuration. Again, I'm 5'9" and I wear a 32"-33" sleeve, for reference.

I'm not sure what you are thinking but it feels like you are overthinking this.

Here's a couple pics of my SRS. Got to finally take it out to the range today for zeroing and ran 40 rounds of factory 147eld through the 6.5 CM barrel and 20 rounds of various charged loads through the 300 Norma barrel.
Loving the platform so far, the 300NM was a very soft shooter!
Barrels courtesy of @pinhead

-26" 6.5 Creed barrel. 8 twist .90" at the muzzle.
-29" 300 Norma Barrel. 9 Twist, massive 1.250 straight contour. Weighs over 9lbs!

Attachments

• 15408561579533381613375797066310.jpg
    15408561579533381613375797066310.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 111
  • 15408564466844622471100476795766.jpg
    15408564466844622471100476795766.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 100
You guys are killing me with these posts.i'm still trying to decide between the DT and the AX MC.

Is that with an SRS A1 or the HTI?
The HTI has approx.17" of LOP.not sure what the SRS has.maybe someone can post that.

I'd like to see more info on the 33 and 37XC. Unfortunately Tubbs has the info on facebook which means no access for me. I'm curious whether or not it would be a good fit for the SRS.....

Frank

I'd like to see more info on the 33 and 37XC. Unfortunately Tubbs has the info on facebook which means no access for me. I'm curious whether or not it would be a good fit for the SRS.....

Frank

The case is too long to fit in our magazines so it will be a single shot. If that matters to you.
You probably don't need a Facebook login to view it. Click here: https://www.facebook.com/6238858610...david-tubb-superior-shootin/1635492476559977/

If that doesn't work, I pasted it below.

Vestals Custom Rifles

August 7 ·
Introducing the new 33XC & 37XC cartridges designed by David Tubb - Superior Shooting Systems LLC!! Brass will be made by Peterson Cartridge Co which is among some of the best made today!! Here is the results:
Initial testing
33XC - 34 inch barrel. Warner 256 Flatline.
113 gr Retumbo 3375 FPS
118 gr Reloader 33 3400 FPS
37 XC 33 inch barrel. warner 364 Flatline
120 gr H1000. 3125 FPS
121 gr RETUMBO 3118
These charges will allow multiple reloadings with full use of the neck for bullet stability.
I loaded a single 37XC case over 20 times breaking in the Schneider 375 barrel.
Shot loads in that particular case that were to hot and the primer pocket became loose but never failed.
33xc brass is $2.21 per piece. Brass arrives end of August.
The 33XC (eXtra Capacity) has up to 130gr of useable powder capacity while leaving the .393” neck unfilled. Based off of a .580” bolt head, it extracts with ease when using a properly polished chamber & maximum powder charge. The 33XC has a 35-degree shoulder (.350” more body length with less body taper & additional .065” longer neck when compared to 338 Lapua case). Total case OAL is 3.087”. It favors 50BMG or Reloader33 burn rate powders with either 250 or 300gr bullets. 300gr jacketed/lead core bullets yield over 3150 fps & 250 gr jacketed/lead core yield over 3450 fps. Monolithic 250gr achieve the same velocities with approx. 3 grains less powder. (Test barrel: 28” Schneider 5 P/9 twist).
In 37XC, H1000 & Retumbo burn rate powders work well. Warner Flatline 361gr bullets fly at 3075fps with just over 120gr of either powder. (Used 33” Schneider 5P/7 twist) barrel.
If anyone is interested in either the 33XC and/or the 37XC, we will have the reamers, reloading dies and brass so give us a call so we can start your build.
Pic is a 338 lapua (empty)- 33XC Warner 256gr Flatline – 33XC head – 37XC Warner 361gr Flatline – 375 Cheytac (empty)
Note - the XC case length VS. the 375 Cheytac

That sounds pretty amazing and the load isn't much below that for the 375 Cheytac. That seems a bit hot . Has DT said anything about whether the rifle will handle it?
I'm not too concerned about mag length ammo. I single load a lot even when it fits. Just don't want to break anything that close to my face.

Thanks for the info. No facebook here by choice....not a computer issue.

Frank