• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I think my Gen1 was serial 1262 or something. Your Gen 1 chassis can use a Gen 2 Barrel extension, though you have to spend a few more seconds lining up the barrel before you close the bolt. So if you buy a new barrel today it will work in your gun.

ETA: Look into the Hoptic Saddle blanket for your chassis. Makes a world of difference.

Last edited:
I think my Gen1 was serial 1262 or something. Your Gen 1 chassis can use a Gen 2 Barrel extension, though you have to spend a few more seconds lining up the barrel before you close the bolt. So if you buy a new barrel today it will work in your gun.

ETA: Look into the Hoptic Saddle blanket for your chassis. Makes a world of difference.
Mine is pretty close to that. I’ll definitely look into that. Thanks

AFAIK, all of the first run of SRS rifles started with serial number 1000, so #1100 would be in the first hundred production rifles built, not 1100.

They started at DTA 01000 and then at some point they changed the prefix to SRS XXXXX. I do not know if they started at a new number or if they just changed the prefix.

I know where DTA 01263 is and it was purchased in Feb or Mar of 2010. Mine is in the mid DTA 013XX range and was purchased at the same time as 1263. There are changes between the two of these rifles that we can see. My trigger is better and has more adjustment. My rifle came with the socket for the monopod already cut and threaded. I stupidly didn't buy the pod when I ordered the rifle and bought it later along with the skins. My newer A1 has the pod from the factory. The handguard on 1263 has a shim between it and the receiver to get rid of a gap and to keep it tight. Mine has no spacer and is tight and lined up perfect.

There were some other details that changed early on with the SRS but things stabilized not far from my serial number and then they did the Gen 2 change on the indexing for the barrel. I'm still running the original locator pin in my Gen 1 and it has thousands of rounds and thousands of barrel changes. I used it as a demo for showing how easy it was and corrupted many a long range shooter who fell to the short side and bought DTs. I have replaced pins for customers who broke them regularly because of ham fisted handling the barrels when they changed them. The Gen 2 setup is better for sure.
I'm with the other poster who believes someone modded the rails on the handguard. Never seen any like that in the wild.

Frank

They started at DTA 01000 and then at some point they changed the prefix to SRS XXXXX. I do not know if they started at a new number or if they just changed the prefix.

I know where DTA 01263 is and it was purchased in Feb or Mar of 2010. Mine is in the mid DTA 013XX range and was purchased at the same time as 1263. There are changes between the two of these rifles that we can see. My trigger is better and has more adjustment. My rifle came with the socket for the monopod already cut and threaded. I stupidly didn't buy the pod when I ordered the rifle and bought it later along with the skins. My newer A1 has the pod from the factory. The handguard on 1263 has a shim between it and the receiver to get rid of a gap and to keep it tight. Mine has no spacer and is tight and lined up perfect.

There were some other details that changed early on with the SRS but things stabilized not far from my serial number and then they did the Gen 2 change on the indexing for the barrel. I'm still running the original locator pin in my Gen 1 and it has thousands of rounds and thousands of barrel changes. I used it as a demo for showing how easy it was and corrupted many a long range shooter who fell to the short side and bought DTs. I have replaced pins for customers who broke them regularly because of ham fisted handling the barrels when they changed them. The Gen 2 setup is better for sure.
I'm with the other poster who believes someone modded the rails on the handguard. Never seen any like that in the wild.

Frank
Thank you for the information. Mine is 0012xx. Mine also wasn’t drilled for a monopod. Eventually, I’m gonna pick up a conversion or two. Next up will be a bipod upgrade.

Is it DTA 0012XX or SRS 0012XX ? just wondering here as getting info from DT is not always easy......

it is possible to cut the pocket and thread it for the monopod and it makes a huge difference in bench shooting. Probably not a lot of help with barricade and PRS type stuff. I decided it was worth it when I got mine installed. It takes the monopod and a set of new skins because the buttpad/plate setup is different between the with and without pod. Also there is a cutout in the bottom of the skins for the monopod on the proper skins. I modded my buddies early rifle and it wasn't a big deal. Stripping off the skins and putting them back on is the most painful part. Every screw is a different length....

Frank

Is it DTA 0012XX or SRS 0012XX ? just wondering here as getting info from DT is not always easy......

it is possible to cut the pocket and thread it for the monopod and it makes a huge difference in bench shooting. Probably not a lot of help with barricade and PRS type stuff. I decided it was worth it when I got mine installed. It takes the monopod and a set of new skins because the buttpad/plate setup is different between the with and without pod. Also there is a cutout in the bottom of the skins for the monopod on the proper skins. I modded my buddies early rifle and it wasn't a big deal. Stripping off the skins and putting them back on is the most painful part. Every screw is a different length....

Frank
Mine is DTA0012XX. I considered what you’re saying, but it seems kinda pricey and I’m not really equipped to drill out the receiver.

Installed my new to me TS 6.5CM Barrel today.
24F9CE89-ECC3-4595-8195-1EA95A039318.jpeg

Went go order a new barrel from ES Tactical and it looks they've disabled much of the site...hopefully they're not shutting down.

I hope that there‘s nothing nefarious going on up there.
Eric currently has one of my DT barrels for a rethread job.

He's not shutting down, just temporarily stopping new orders so he can catch-up and better manage life/work.

Good for him. We can wait. Get the balance right, plan on ways to increase throughput while you take a minute to chill, and come back strong and energized.

If you need him to do some work, I suggest you just drop him an email and ask (and be flexible).

Besides Desert Tech and ES Tactical. Who else offers barrels? If you buy a Proof Research blank who do you recommend to install the barrel extension?

Benchmark may still be making DTA conversions, though I'm not seeing it on their site.

Does anybody have experience with DMR barrels?
Yes!!! Extensive. All I use is DMR and DT barrels.

What questions do you have? Worth it? Hell yeah. I'm a proud supporter and fan boy of DMR, almost gay like. But in a straight way.
Tack drivers! I have a 6.5 SAUM from Dane, 300PRC, 7.82 Warbird, and my ugly twin has a 6.5 Creedmoor

I personally haven't had them make me an SRS barrel, but it has been mentioned in the past that they were doing complete barrels, not just blanks with DTA contour.

Yes!!! Extensive. All I use is DMR and DT barrels.

What questions do you have? Worth it? Hell yeah. I'm a proud supporter and fan boy of DMR, almost gay like. But in a straight way.
Tack drivers! I have a 6.5 SAUM from Dane, 300PRC, 7.82 Warbird, and my ugly twin has a 6.5 Creedmoor
I am thinking about a 22in or 24in 6.5CM from them. How does your brother like his 6.5CM?

I am thinking about a 22in or 24in 6.5CM from them. How does your brother like his 6.5CM?
He loves it! I'm going to have him make me a 6mm ARC and another .338 Norma AI barrel.

His 6.5 Creedmoor is a tack driver, we are die hard DMR fans

I have a Benchmark barrel by DMR rifles in 6xc. My favorite conversation! No hesitation to get another Benchmark barrel or to have DMR chamber it.

Reactions: waveslayer
I had a benchmark in 6.5x47 and it was a laser! Also had 300 Norma by dmr! It was a laser too!

Reactions: waveslayer
I’ve had Benchmark make me four barrels for my DTA and all have shot well. They do everything, the barrel is ready to install and shoot.

If anyone is interested, I posted my .264wm in the PX yesterday. Only has 10rds on it. I rarely shoot much anymore except for air rifle.

How does it shoot? I am thinking about ordering one in 6.5 CM 22.5in.
I've got no complaints. I got mine as a 6.5 CM finished at 20 inches, with a 1-7 twist. Its consistently prints 1/2 to 3/4 MOA groups with Hornady 120 grn ELDMs. It could certainly do better in the hands of a more competent rifleman.

I've got no complaints. I got mine as a 6.5 CM finished at 20 inches, with a 1-7 twist. Its consistently prints 1/2 to 3/4 MOA groups with Hornady 120 grn ELDMs. It could certainly do better in the hands of a more competent rifleman.
How much does the barrel weight?

I have a 16.5" 6.5CM Med Palm barrel from him. Shoots as good as any other barrel you see posted in here.

Genuine question: Has anyone had a Desert Tech barrel from any smith that does NOT shoot worth a shit?

Quick question - why do some desert tech vendors show a seperate long action magazine for 7mm rem mag, 300/338 norma compared to just the long action 338 lapua? Don't the norma mag cases feed well out of the lapua magazine?

Went to a shoot the other day. It was timed and my first shots were all hits but my follow ups were rough. Besides my poor marksmanship, I think the heavy bolt manipulation played a role. Anything to help besides just working it over hundreds of times? Anywhere to polish? Coatings? I’d love to get it lighter, if possible.

On bolt manipulation, it takes practice to get the feel down, especially because it can feel awkward to most folks. There was a time when I was shooting the SRS about 1/4 as much as my other bolt guns, and every time I ran the bolt like I was back in the Army it just felt uncomfortable and forced. But then it became my primary bolt gun and quickly it became second nature.
Their bolts have gone through three evolutions, and all have been a bit rough initially for me. I had one NP3 coated a long time ago but it wasn’t that much of an improvement. It turns out the receiver was pretty gunned up along the raceway for the bolt to travel. So a very thin coat of FP-10 in the receiver, and more importantly applied to all metal-on-metal parts of the bolt, then some elbow grease and all of my bolts run nicely. Whenever I start to feel hot spots of resistance during cycling I’ll do another clean/wipe/coat on the parts.

Reactions: deersniper
Went to a shoot the other day. It was timed and my first shots were all hits but my follow ups were rough. Besides my poor marksmanship, I think the heavy bolt manipulation played a role. Anything to help besides just working it over hundreds of times? Anywhere to polish? Coatings? I’d love to get it lighter, if possible.
It’s just a product of the design. That’s why I stopped running mine in comps. On certain props the heavy lift is enough to can’t the rifle off target and waste time on the clock getting it back on.

Ok, been a long time since I posted but need some help if possible . DTA SRS gen 1&2 had what we called the “meat” grinders for but pads. DT made them out of plastic and aluminum. I am in the need of one of these if anyone has either they would like to sell

It’s just a product of the design. That’s why I stopped running mine in comps. On certain props the heavy lift is enough to can’t the rifle off target and waste time on the clock getting it back on.

The heavy bolt lift is why I prefer the lra bipod so I can lock it level at the range. I can only imagine how bad it is out of position on barricades.

Quick question - why do some desert tech vendors show a seperate long action magazine for 7mm rem mag, 300/338 norma compared to just the long action 338 lapua? Don't the norma mag cases feed well out of the lapua magazine?
I shoot a .338 Norma and yes, it feeds fine. You only get two types of maga, magnum or standard. I have modified mags to feed my 6.5 Saum reliably.

You will be fine with the Magnum mags, they are designed for all sorts of good rounds.

Heads up if anyone is looking. Nothing to do with me.

Thanks for the heads up, I jumped on it.

Reactions: Mr. Z
Long time DTA owner. Currently have 308, 260, and 338 lapua barrels. Shoot 260 90% of time. Other 10% is 338. Current range only has 1000 yds so that is my focus. Looking for next caliber to maybe replace 260. Love the 260 but might want to try something else. Looking for tack driver and long barrel life. Whats everybody's suggestions. Oh, I reload all my stuff.
Thanks

Long time DTA owner. Currently have 308, 260, and 338 lapua barrels. Shoot 260 90% of time. Other 10% is 338. Current range only has 1000 yds so that is my focus. Looking for next caliber to maybe replace 260. Love the 260 but might want to try something else. Looking for tack driver and long barrel life. Whats everybody's suggestions. Oh, I reload all my stuff.
Thanks
6.5 Creedmoor

B9A25365-B06A-4CE9-9295-F6D3CAB95224.jpeg

You can get factory Hornady for 0.80$ that shoots 1/2”