• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

OK. I'm looking to purchase the same setup you purchased back in January. Now that you have a few months in, would you have done anything differently? Just asking for any advice you would have since your purchase. Thanks in advance.
Honestly: I think I would have done covert to save the weight.

I love the setup. My first true high-end rifle. Prior to this was an off the shelf Remington 700ADL. And I took that to 1000.

This is a great rifle. I like my Athlon on top (it's reasonably priced, it's functional, and it did what i asked.)

The first time I took it out to Thunder Valley was only the second time I've shot to distance, and the first time I pulled the trigger on the DTA.

I bore-sighted, dialed corrections to steel, got dope, and within 20 rounds had walked out to 1000 and back to 200 with everything tracking great on 6.5 Creedmoor. DOPE acquired. TRASOL worked well out to 1000. Made hits boringly predictable.

I switched barrels to .338LM, Missed at 300 (unfired barrel, no data, just getting data). First time I had even put the barrel in. Didn't know POI shift.
Corrected. Hit 300.
Dialed 600. Hit 600.
Dialed 1000, Missed off right ear.
Corrected my wind call. Hit dead center head of IPSC. On Round #5. Ever.

I took it out a few days back in my backyard range on steel at 100, and after sending round after round after round of 6.5 Creedmoor into the same point, had an area no bigger than my thumbnail with bullet strikes visible.

The rifle is amazing.

She's a heavy beast. She's well balanced. I would like to try the shorter setup just for kicks.

I'm bringing it Elk Hunting in 6 weeks.

Reactions: PJT
OK. I'm looking to purchase the same setup you purchased back in January. Now that you have a few months in, would you have done anything differently? Just asking for any advice you would have since your purchase. Thanks in advance.
And I did the Bushnell Range Finder/kestrel combo.
An off-brand CF tripod. Not the 1000$ one. The 500$ one. Somewhere in eastern europe. It worked great.

Does anyone have any information on what happened to all the barrel options offered by ES Tactical?

Does anyone have any information on what happened to all the barrel options offered by ES Tactical?
In a email he told me he was no longer offering the carbon fiber barrels due to 6 to 9 month lead time. I have also noticed on some days no barrel options show up. Maybe working on his website. I ordered a 6.5CM on line a week ago.

He's very backed up at the moment, doesn't want to take on a bunch of new orders.

He's just downshifting things a bit so that he can get through the current backlog as well as put some needed time into some other things.

anyone ever shot plain Jane 147gr fmj rounds in their covert? I got a line on a good deal for some in bulk. I've only ever fed mine 175gr smk. Just curious how the 147 might have done for ya. Im running 16" 308 with 1/8 twist. My only fear is the lightweight bullet not liking the faster twist

I’ve had the 16” .308WIN barrel since 2011 and have run all kinds of loads through it. Mine particularly likes 175s, but I’ve also gotten good results with 150s. The only one that just didn’t work for some reason is the 155 Scenar. That was my go to bullet with Varget or N540 for most of the 2000s in my other rifles, but I couldn’t get it to group better than 1.5MOA.

Those early Covert barrels were initially designed for subsonic loads, as far as I was told, but they shoot a variety of supersonic loads just fine.

Reactions: sixpack340
Got to love when the last shot of practice goes well. I think I have the new NX8 zeroed. Love the SRS/NF combo.
96B23BD1-33E7-456B-A616-33969D65A0EA.jpeg

I’ve had the 16” .308WIN barrel since 2011 and have run all kinds of loads through it. Mine particularly likes 175s, but I’ve also gotten good results with 150s. The only one that just didn’t work for some reason is the 155 Scenar. That was my go to bullet with Varget or N540 for most of the 2000s in my other rifles, but I couldn’t get it to group better than 1.5MOA.

Same here, my goto hunting round are Norma 150gn BT or Hornady 150gn SST's, excellent groups in region of .5moa and they hold the same Zero. Just starting developing a load using 175gn SMK's, appears it likes 44.2gn of Vhit N140 with a groups in 0.3 & .0.4 MOA. . just trying to confirm what jump will do. Although no experience of 155's

anyone ever shot plain Jane 147gr fmj rounds in their covert? I got a line on a good deal for some in bulk. I've only ever fed mine 175gr smk. Just curious how the 147 might have done for ya. Im running 16" 308 with 1/8 twist. My only fear is the lightweight bullet not liking the faster twist

Have also tried the 145gn FMJ PPU, holding about 1MOA, and zero shift from the 150's, would say results not as good.

1. insert barrel
2. close bolt
3. rotate barrel lock
4. tighten barrel bolts hand tight back to front
5. torque barrel bolts back to front

FWIW, I've done 3-5 in all kinds of different orders and it didn't seem to make a difference. This is just the sequence I've been using for the past 10 years or so and it's now habit.

As per Dogtown, with one additional
1. Insert Barrel
2. Rotate Barrel in a clockwise direction, looking along the Barrel from front to back, there is a little bit of play between the locating lug and the slot. Keep the pressure on and Close the Bolt
As above2,3 & 4.
Don't know if it makes any difference, but!!!

Reactions: Edgecrusher
1. Hold rifle vertically, dropping barrel straight in and twist til it bottoms out.
2. Close bolt
3. hand tight front to back
4. torque front to back.

Rifle stays vertical the whole time. I have never used the barrel lock on my A1. From a technical standpoint, my torquing method isn't balanced at all. lol I originally started by skipping the hand tight portion. Results were repeatable within my shooting ability.

Reactions: deersniper
I did the vertical barrel method for the first couple of years until I kept damaging the indexing pin and stopped. It could be really insidious too because just a subtle bend would still seat just fine, but the barrel would be something crazy like 8 mils off. Of course, I may be the only one here with in a Gen1 here, so that's all moot.

I did the vertical barrel method for the first couple of years until I kept damaging the indexing pin and stopped. It could be really insidious too because just a subtle bend would still seat just fine, but the barrel would be something crazy like 8 mils off. Of course, I may be the only one here with in a Gen1 here, so that's all moot.

If I had either a cheaper caliber to shoot or more ammo in supply, I would test different methods for repeatability. From what I have experienced so far, consistency matters much more than the actual procedure. Gravity being a constant force means good consistency on the vertical method, but I do gently slide the barrel into place. No dropping.

Thats awesome. I walked my 6.5 CM in factory 26" and .338 LM to the same this weekend. That 6.5 Creedmoor is falling like a rock at that distance.
Yep. I’m sure if I looked hard enough, I might find some very intact bullets stuck in the clay by their tip, but otherwise unharmed.

Has there ever been any discussion of a rimfire conversion? The thought just came to me tonight of how awesome that would be. Someone has gotta be able to do it with today's machining tech. I know I'd be in for one for sure if a smith on here felt they could do it.

Has there ever been any discussion of a rimfire conversion? The thought just came to me tonight of how awesome that would be. Someone has gotta be able to do it with today's machining tech. I know I'd be in for one for sure if a smith on here felt they could do it.
Not happening any time soon just look how much the 223 conversion cost. Might as well buy the 223 conversion and make 223 sub loads with 40gr bullets.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
In a similar vein, anyone making a real barrel burner? 6.5 - 338? 30-338? Run into issues with mag length and ELD/VLD bullets? Just scratching my chin after banging steel at a mile. Wondering if I can make an ELR round out of it...

^^ you can get a 33xc or 37 xc barrel for the srs....Idk how much bigger cartridge you would need.

In a similar vein, anyone making a real barrel burner? 6.5 - 338? 30-338? Run into issues with mag length and ELD/VLD bullets? Just scratching my chin after banging steel at a mile. Wondering if I can make an ELR round out of it...
A 300 lapua pushing 250 atips would do well at a mile

I just mounted The scope on a used SRS-A1. I ran out of windage before my bore laser got to the center of my crosshair. Tried a different optic mount and same result. Bothe scopes were Gen 2 Virtex Razors. One in a Spuhr and the other in an Aero Precision. It’s a head stretcher. Any ideas?

That's odd - my first guess would be an issue with the mount, but obviously you did too and tested for it.

Reactions: match308
I just mounted The scope on a used SRS-A1. I ran out of windage before my bore laser got to the center of my crosshair. Tried a different optic mount and same result. Bothe scopes were Gen 2 Virtex Razors. One in a Spuhr and the other in an Aero Precision. It’s a head stretcher. Any ideas?

Just out of curiosity how do you have the mount.....mounted? Just on the receiver or do you have the front of the mount on the handguard rail?

Very odd. Do you have other barrels you could try? I think I would try to reseat the barrel to see if your POI changes. Typically sighting in is a three shot exercise and you’re done.

Since you have an A1, you don't have the index pin to worry about which I know from personal experience can cause windage issues when bent. You can shoot the rifle without the locking bolt engaged, assuming you obviously tighten the torque bolts. So if you want to rule out the locking bolt, set it to unlock and keep it that way for testing purposes.

Reactions: match308
I’m looking for spare parts for the bolts. Extractor and springs and firing pins. I call DTA and they said they are having issues getting any extra parts to sell. Wondering if anyone can make a few Extactors. I had Interesting issue happen this weekend. I reload and had a primer that was right side up. I pulled the trigger and primer went off. I go to cycle the bolt and the case stayed in the camber. I looked and the extractor has pop off. I was thinking I’m screwed. But I found the extractor down my Magazine. All I had to do pop the extractor back in place and was go to go. But was thinking that this is a weak spot of the System. It’s set up like a Glock extractor set up. This should have a roll pin set up.

If you know someone that will make a few extractors. I would buy them.

I’m looking for spare parts for the bolts. Extractor and springs and firing pins. I call DTA and they said they are having issues getting any extra parts to sell. Wondering if anyone can make a few Extactors. I had Interesting issue happen this weekend. I reload and had a primer that was right side up. I pulled the trigger and primer went off. I go to cycle the bolt and the case stayed in the camber. I looked and the extractor has pop off. I was thinking I’m screwed. But I found the extractor down my Magazine. All I had to do pop the extractor back in place and was go to go. But was thinking that this is a weak spot of the System. It’s set up like a Glock extractor set up. This should have a roll pin set up.

If you know someone that will make a few extractors. I would buy them.

Have you checked midwestgunworks?

Reactions: Puget Shooter
Hello Everyone, I recently bought a used fde covert handguard. I want it to match factory black as best as possible. What would be the best way of getting it done? Thanks

Replaced my G2 Razor with this Steiner M7xi 4-28x56 with MSR2 and changed the spuhr 4802 mount to a 4808 to clear the front caps and for a more natural cheek weld . So far so good , looking forward to get out with it .
Impressive scope overall and very nice with the MSR2

20200913_211454.jpg

Attachments

• 20200907_164536.jpg
    20200907_164536.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 84
Replaced my G2 Razor with this Steiner M7xi 4-28x56 with MSR2 and changed the spuhr 4802 mount to a 4808 to clear the front caps and for a more natural cheek weld . So far so good , looking forward to get out with it .
Impressive scope overall and very nice with the MSR2

View attachment 7422708

did you change for weight or other reasons? I haven’t sat behind a Steiner before. I swapped a Razor G2 to a Minox to lose some weight and have been happy with it.

did you change for weight or other reasons? I haven’t sat behind a Steiner before. I swapped a Razor G2 to a Minox to lose some weight and have been happy with it.

I had my razor for almost 6 years and whilst it was great I just wanted to try something different . So I sold both of them and went with Steiner and Minox . The Minox is impressive to say !

Reactions: 65x55guy
I've seen some pretty inaccurate results come from using bore lasers. The SRS can be sighted pretty well by just looking through the barrel from behind the rifle (bolt removed). Or has this been resolved? I'd like to know the outcome.

Remove butt pad and bolt. Easy to sight at a 100yd. Usually that gets a rd on paper. Then use reticle to bullet impact , count that mil/moa in elevation/windage , there’s your dope. once on paper, don’t move the rifle when looking through scope to see were she’s at. Once ya do it a few times ya get the hang of it. With the butt pad and bolt removed, easy to sight down barrels, same with a side folder chassis.