• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I recently picked up a Gen 1 SRS and I would like to figure out how to modify it to take a monopod. I saw in the very beginning of this thread back in 2010 you could send your rifle to DT for them to do the retrofit but I emailed DT and was told "the gen 1 chassis are not able to accept a monopod" and they wont touch it.

Anyone know of someone who could do this?

Yup, there was a time when they were considering receiver upgrades for older rifles, but not anymore as far as I can tell (your email seems to confirm this). I think installation of the monopod is not as simple as drilling and tapping the rear bottom of the receiver. The skins and buttplate changed as well and I don't think they're backwards compatible with the earliest receivers.

I was kind of butthurt about it for years, but not so much these days - saves me some weight and I have a beanbag.

Reactions: IronSightJoe
The skins need cut but i didn't think the buttpad changed on monopod vs non monopod. It changed from gen 1 to gen 2 though.

The DTA video on there website introducing the A2 talks about continued support of the A1 due to military contracts. Any body have any idea what military unit is using the SRS A1?

The Georgians were the first military to formally use the SRS in combat, dumping Russians at distance fairly regularly in their northern breakaway regions under Russian influence. Other allied militaries (eastern European and Middle Eastern) have used the SRS and HTI to some degree, and the headaches associated with dealing with arms exports was a main motivation in changing the name from Desert Tactical Arms to Desert Tech.

I recently picked up a Gen 1 SRS and I would like to figure out how to modify it to take a monopod. I saw in the very beginning of this thread back in 2010 you could send your rifle to DT for them to do the retrofit but I emailed DT and was told "the gen 1 chassis are not able to accept a monopod" and they wont touch it.

Anyone know of someone who could do this?
I added a monopod to mine. It required having access to another rifle so I could measure exactly where to drill, then using a boring head to size the hole and make it ready to tap. I had to grind the tap flat to finish cutting to the bottom of the hole. It is a blind hole. As for the skins they can be modified, but there is no second chance if you make a mistake. They are not available anymore. I did mine with nothing more than a moto tool. They turned out great. Believe it or not, I found a used monopod on eBay for $180. The real deal! Watch out for "airsoft" parts! It had a few specs of surface rust and the bottom showed use (scratches) but who cares? I would not have attempted the job without a milling machine.

Last edited:
I've used a TAB Gear bag for a number of years, and recently got a Weibad bag based on a recommendation here and it's now my go to SRS bag. Easy to use as a rear bag rest or strap it to the forend to use on barriers.

Reactions: avalanche
Thoughts on milling skins , maybe some chassis to lighten a1 some ? I think I seen a pic somewhere of one done. Not sure if messed with accuracy, or weights reduced.

They're already lightweight polymer - there's not a whole lot of weight saving you'll get by milling them out a bit. Removing the monopod (if you have one) is the first step to save weight, next is to go with a Covert handguard, and finally a thinner profiled barrel. Some weight can also be saved by going with a lighter scope and mount, but not by a whole lot without a major sacrifice in capability (the NX8 1-8x is pretty damned light, but there's no way I'm running that thing on an SRS unless maybe I was LEO). If you're daring, you could probably trim a bit off of the receiver (have a look at what they did on the A2), but in general I'm afraid it's a losing game if you're trying to turn an SRS into a lightweight rifle.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
Roger that. Thinking of doing all that , but not till after hunting season , if I do. Right before hunting season I get the wild idea of lightening her up , lol.

Honestly, for hunting you should get a short, thin profile barrel. I did some hunting with my SRS, both with thin 18" barrels. It was still kind of a beast to hump all day, but nothing like when using my full ELR setup. With a good sling and a short barrel, it's a pretty compact and maneuverable platform.

Thoughts on milling skins , maybe some chassis to lighten a1 some ? I think I seen a pic somewhere of one done. Not sure if messed with accuracy, or weights reduced.
SRSA2-2.jpg

Not something I would undertake, but here's the A1 vs A2 photo for reference.

What are the crowds thoughts on Supressors? Get DTA's or a 3rd party?
Looking at the options, their 3/4 x 24 TPI brake pitch to 1 1/6 x 18 collar is... unique.
Anyone got a favorite?

Reactions: 65x55guy
You can always have your factory barrel rethreaded to 5/8×24, but i haven't bought a factory barrel in years. I have a SiCo Omega and a SilencerTech, both of which are threaded 5/8. Get whatever thread pitch you want

I use the Ultra 7 and Hybrid 46 suppressors and Area 419’s mounting system for my setups. It’s a little expensive to start but has been a solid option for me. I don’t shoot unless I’m suppressed anymore.

Elite Iron makes DTs suppressors.

Reactions: 65x55guy
Looking at the options, their 3/4 x 24 TPI brake pitch to 1 1/6 x 18 collar is... unique.
Anyone got a favorite?
TBAC ultra 9 CB has been great. It’s a pill to buy a bunch of their muzzle devices, but it does allow you to unify different thread pitches to the same suppressor. I’ve got 2 factory barrels 3/4 x 24 and one aftermarket 5/8 x 24 for my A2. I also had a random 3/4 x 28 threaded barrel at one point that was on a used rifle I purchased. Same system solved the problem for me.

Anyone got a favorite?
I’ve got a Thunder Chicken on my ES Tactical barrel and I love it. Aftermarket barrel means I can go with any thread pitch I want.

I tried searching the thread and came up with nothing. Has anyone ever figured out a grip mod to make a thumb shelf/pad? Or are there aftermarket body panels anywhere?

Reactions: deersniper
I think I seen somewhere, probably when sh was scout, a guy modded his srs grip. He made it smaller, cut , grind , epoxy , ect.

I tried searching the thread and came up with nothing. Has anyone ever figured out a grip mod to make a thumb shelf/pad? Or are there aftermarket body panels anywhere?
I hope DT does add that as an option in the future as they should have with the A2. I just built a new rifle and I am loving the new thumb rest. Maybe One could find a way to add the MPA thumb rest to the DT chassis.
4A688A0B-D1BA-47A1-9F32-2C6E6CE142C3.png

Guys, looking for some help with the QD flush cup sling option on my SRS A1. Im running a proof barrel so it’s pretty thick. When the flush cup on my sling is clicked into the handrail, it’s pushing against the barrel pretty hard. Obviously not ideal. I’m looking for an external adapter for the flush cup. Could someone steer me towards a solid one that’ll fit the A1 rail.
thanks

I've used a TAB Gear bag for a number of years, and recently got a Weibad bag based on a recommendation here and it's now my go to SRS bag. Easy to use as a rear bag rest or strap it to the forend to use on barriers.
Can yall be more precise? Both makers sell multiple bags and I've had hell finding a rear bag to work with my rifle.

Repost again for anyone looking for aftermarket bolt knobs. Available in black, FDE/tan, and natural (no coat shiny.) not my product, but really liked the one I purchased before. 2 more ordered.

I’m curious as to why guys would want to change out the standard ball that comes with the original bolt? I’m not knocking this product, I’m legitimately curious?
I had a nice covert with a bartlien barrel that I foolishly sold last year and just picked up another SRS-A1 with a factory 26” 308 kit.
I always found the ball to be pretty comfortable. Does this knob give more length or more leverage?

I’m curious as to why guys would want to change out the standard ball that comes with the original bolt? I’m not knocking this product, I’m legitimately curious?
I had a nice covert with a bartlien barrel that I foolishly sold last year and just picked up another SRS-A1 with a factory 26” 308 kit.
I always found the ball to be pretty comfortable. Does this knob give more length or more leverage?

I've never had the inclination to change mine either. I find the factory bolt knob to work quite well. Maybe I don't pay enough attention to that kind of thing. Some of the offerings look pretty cool, though.

great point.Honestly I think it’s just user preference. I like the slightly larger knob with its grip and length where it’s more purchase to grab just a little more than the factory ball.

It does protrude a little more and some of us like that for a bolt knob. But can’t ever remember having been underserved by the factory setup. It does the job.

Reactions: Blueoval56

While it's certainly user preference, if you're running more than one bolt, having a different knob on each bolt makes it really easy to differentiate between them all. My 308 bolt has a different knob than my Lapua Magnum bolt and my Win Mag bolt has the ball.

I’m curious of those who took the plunge with a 33XC or 37XC; have you hunted with it? I’d like to hear your experience with it in the DT platform.

Reactions: NavyshooterM40
Seems like a rather odd choice for hunting when those cartridges were designed specifically for ELR target shooting?

Maybe, maybe not. Ethical shots aside, there has been a lot of focus on Long Range hunting, canyon to canyon type of stuff. Seems like the 300 WM or 338 LM was commonly used in these scenarios. The 33XC/37XC seems like a better tool over the 338LM, they can fit in a DT platform and can even fit in a Savage 112 platform. Maybe that opens it up to people who didn’t want the weight and cost of a 375 CT action for this type of thing. With the 37XC, you no longer need an HTI to get 375 Cheytac performance. Wondering if anyone wishes they could take their 375CT or other variant out on a hunt but now looks at the XC platform as the path forward.
I am just asking the question. I don’t have one and don’t have the opportunity to hunt past 600 yards, so I have lots of existing tools that work for me.

Wow 36" would look quite interesting on the SRS platform . Will certainly be a softer shooter with that weight

Hey all, anybody know where I can get a couple Gen 1 Barrel Alignment pins, or somehow get something close enough to jury rig? I emailed Desert Tech and they replied they no longer sold them.

• Wow
Wait what? Crap...I've gone through at least three in the last 11 years...this is concerning.

Edit: crap, I must have used my last spare pin. Time to think about getting an A2 finally.

Last edited: