• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Official Hog Hunting Thread

Aloha,
I've been researching hunting wild cattle, but there is so much conflicting information on the net. My last information shows them now as protected.
Axis, black tail deer, feral goats, and of course hogs, are all something I would consider.
The trouble being so far away is getting accurate information on where to go and who to trust.
Thanks
A few years ago, I had seen a thing about axis deer becoming a pest species in parts of Hawaii. Is that not the case? I don't know.

IMG_3338.jpeg

.300 WM knocks ‘em Flat…

Nice one Sir 👍 wish I was as lucky. Took the dogs out but only a bunch of babies lol looks like a really nice hog for smoke meat or sausage 👍

Aloha Ron's,

Yes, that was Maui the deer are getting out of control in some areas. Problem is its all private property. So there's that issue and no one willing to allow access etc. Lots of issues I hope someone with a brain figures things out soon.

Reactions: TACC and Ronws
Aloha Ron's,

Yes, that was Maui the deer are getting out of control in some areas. Problem is its all private property. So there's that issue and no one willing to allow access etc. Lots of issues I hope someone with a brain figures things out soon.

Maybe we’ll get lucky and Zuckerweenie will catch Lyme disease on his “estate” and die….

Sirhr

Reactions: GBWS and Ronws
Instead of SHOT this year, our group is headed to way SW Georgia near Donalsonville to hunt hogs on a friends peanut farm.

We all hunt and shoot a lot, but never been hog hunting
We are taking mostly ARs in 5.56, some thermals (Trijicon REAP IR 60mm, SIG E3 2-12), and some NV (PVS30, Knights SR, BNVD ).

Just not sure what to expect. Hunt late at night ? Earlier in the evening ? Typical ranges ? Tripods ? Do they spook easily ?

I dont see it as particularly challenging, but more an opportunity to get some experience with all our cool stuff.

I'll be watching for any advice ya may have, and appreciate it in advance

Sure brother I will share what I know.

They are going to be most active at sunset, night, and sunrise. With NV, I'd say start the hunt at sunset. Thermals and night vision are a huge advantage, and they are more nocturnal in these warmer months. At sunrise, you can find them down by the water. At sunset and through the night, they are active foraging for food. Familiarize yourself with their tracks and droppings, bait or scout ahead of time for increased chances of success.

You can even track and kill a wild boar on foot in the day with a spear like in the old country, hogs are very simple. In general, the more effort you put into preparation, such as scouting and baiting, the better luck you have. This is what outfitters will do as a service, all the prep work and heavy lifting, guiding clients on the hunt. But with modern rifles, thermal optics, you can hunt all night and bag dozens of hogs in one trip.

Some use baiting, feeders, trail cams, pit blinds, or just scout out bedding areas ahead of time. Compared to staying up all night sticking pigs with spears, it's far more efficient to hunt with semi auto and fully automatic rifles. Especially with thermal optics. You can document the hunt and review what went right and what went wrong to improve on your next hunt. You may need to fire rapidly when a large group begins scattering. Coordinated shooting helps to eliminate stragglers. In other words, glass and select separate targets ahead of time, then fire simultaneously or in rapid succession.

5.56 is enough, and you should stay accurate and lethal at 500 yards, especially if you do government work or have prior training. If you have the time, and the ammo, it is a productive use of ammo. Yes, they spook easily, you can even startle them to freeze up for a good shot. With night vision, moving quietly, you can get very close to hogs before they notice you.

The challenge is not to bag a single hog, that's not that hard really. The challenge is to eradicate and process many hogs in a single hunt. It's a public service and a professional service as well, which also yields a ton of meat and hides. Hundreds or even thousands of pounds of pork. Whatever you process yourself can be quickly stored safely in a cooler with ice. Even cheap foam coolers. Otherwise, would load up the truck to haul to the processor.

Hogs cought in traps, .22 subsonic pistol. 1 and done.

20230722_160825.jpg

This one is a stupid but funny story...
Wife wanted to see how we hog hunt at night. So half drunk I said lets go!
Flip flops, shorts, thermal spotter, flashlight and a 1911 and off we go in the stealth buggy.
Sneak around a corner (thick woods and trails) and I spot this big fucker at the feeder, get out and walk up. What I thought would be about 50' away I turn on light an he is about 20' in front of me, looking at me, three round burst and I am out of there.
For a year we had one pissed off big ass hog destroying all our feeders knocking them down and dismantling them. we built feeder legs out of drill pipe and anchored them.
He finally got in my sights one night with a 308 neck shot and all chaos stopped. .45 to the eye really pissed him off.
You can see the bone was smothing out with age

20230722_161054.jpg

Reactions: Ronws
Hogs cought in traps, .22 subsonic pistol. 1 and done.

View attachment 8188314
This one is a stupid but funny story...
Wife wanted to see how we hog hunt at night. So half drunk I said lets go!
Flip flops, shorts, thermal spotter, flashlight and a 1911 and off we go in the stealth buggy.
Sneak around a corner (thick woods and trails) and I spot this big fucker at the feeder, get out and walk up. What I thought would be about 50' away I turn on light an he is about 20' in front of me, looking at me, three round burst and I am out of there.
For a year we had one pissed off big ass hog destroying all our feeders knocking them down and dismantling them. we built feeder legs out of drill pipe and anchored them.
He finally got in my sights one night with a 308 neck shot and all chaos stopped. .45 to the eye really pissed him off.
You can see the bone was smothing out with age

View attachment 8188325
You should nickname your .45 "The Finisher."

Any tips for hunting hogs at night in high heat, high humidity (other than staying downwind)?

When it gets hot, scent control is pretty much a moot point. It’s all about playing the wind. I’ve had a lot more luck walking between multiple spots and roaming around vs sitting in one place. They seem to show up randomly where I hunt.

Last edited:
I'm interested in hog hunting trip.
I would prefer the winter months because I'm allergic to heat/bugs/humidity and snakes.
Can anyone suggest a guide/outfitter for a ground night hunt?

20230912_180603~2.jpg

I run a small ranch about an hour West of DFW, Texas. We mostly run cattle/gas wells and only lease one pasture for hunting...because cattle. We have a private long-range rifle range for our own use that stays full up with a pig population. I have alot of predator hunting experience but always viewed pigs as nuisance abatement. Lately we've been talking about doing some guided pig hunts to get things under control. Could someone who has been on a guided hunt PM me? I have questions about how best to go about this and would greatly appreciate shared insight. There are some professional outfitters around here, and we are definitely not that, so their info has not been super helpful.

Last edited:
View attachment 8226597

I run a small ranch about an hour West of DFW, Texas. We mostly run cattle/gas wells and only lease one pasture for hunting...because cattle. We have a private long-range rifle range for our own use that stays full up with a pig population. I have alot of predator hunting experience but always viewed pigs as nuisance abatement. Lately we've been talking about doing some guided pig hunts to get things under control. Could someone who has been on a guided hunt PM me? I have questions about how best to go about this and would greatly appreciate shared insight. There are some professional outfitters around here, and we are definitely not that, so their info has not been super helpful.
I have no advice but I might be a customer. I live near the Red River but I work in Dallas.

We did a job in Albany, which is quite a bit west for our office. And we did a job in Odessa. I remember having to deal with the paperwork to get us registered there and a permit for our work. I have even entered the TPWD drawing for the mule deer hunt at Caprock Canyon SP near Turkey, Texas.

Reactions: dirtybores
I have no advice but I might be a customer. I live near the Red River but I work in Dallas.

We did a job in Albany, which is quite a bit west for our office. And we did a job in Odessa. I remember having to deal with the paperwork to get us registered there and a permit for our work. I have even entered the TPWD drawing for the mule deer hunt at Caprock Canyon SP near Turkey, Texas.
Closest towns to us would be Graham or Jacksboro. I have no intentions of this becoming big business for us, but if I can structure a little DIY program that's mutually beneficial, I will. Just trying to figure out logistics, pricing, expectations, pitfalls for for doing some one-off hog hunts. Not my area of expertise....yet!

20230622_101616~3.jpg

Resized_20221105_092138~2.jpeg

Cool beans. That would be around 2 to 3 hour drive for me. It would take me about an hour driving southwest from where I am to get to Denton. So, yeah, about as far as Breckenridge but to the north. I am normally hunting on public land in northeast Texas. About an hour from my house. Very heavily wooded. Ranging from 70 yards to 225 yards.

Reactions: dirtybores
Man…. We’ve pretty much run the hogs off our property at this point. Haven’t seen one out there in months. Coyotes are getting thin too.

I love my long guns and ar’s, but slipping a sharp 2 blade clean through the pump house is fun too!
61B4D0F8-EA16-4755-90E7-B05476384256.jpeg

Reactions: Ronws
Oops I did it again

Attachments

• 20231104_181926.jpg
    20231104_181926.jpg
    744.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231104_181448.jpg
    20231104_181448.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
image000000(1).jpg

Pic speaks for itself.
Just sayin.

20190724_082902.jpg
20190724_084303.jpg
20190724_084315.jpg

Browning Auto 5, open choke, high brass #7s.

What thermals are you folks using?

Pas13g
ReapIR
IR Hunter
Hogster
Iray Rico
AGM Rattler 640 (best bang for buck imho)

Nv
Pvs22
Pvs27

Too many day optics to name.

Calibers
22lr (poor)
22 mag (head shots in right place, 100% drt)
204v
223 ball (most kills)
223 sporting ammo (damn good exc varmint rounds on pigs over 50#)
6 arc
243 Ackley
6.5g
6.5 cm
6.5-06
7-08
6.8spc
762×39
308 (2nd Most kills)
300wm
338lap
375ct
450bm
50bmg

Browning Auto5 12 gauge.

Last edited:
20230708_193845.jpg
20230422_222749.jpg
20230422_222506.jpg

Armalite AR10 basic factory "Defender" model w added handguard , AGM Rattler 640. Old Jet can.

Basic ar15's, IR Hunter, Reap IR, I forget and SF can.

IMG_20231217_143300542.jpg

Basic built Armalite ar10 in 7-08, leupold, and dead air.

20230927_132114.jpg

Basic ar15 223, leupold 1-4, SF Socom

And we kill them at all times of the 24 hour period. They are pests like roaches. However, an edible pest. 125# summer kill peanut fed sow, maybe better than any store purchase pork, imo.

Reactions: TACC
That first picture with the 50bmg... really pisses me off.. because you didn't post a video I need to see live action of that carnage!! :p

Last phone w video died, otherwise I'd post it. Sorry, will try harder next 50 kill. I will, I will... I promise.

Reactions: warnera1102
@j-huskey ,

Any LRF on those thermals? Do you find you need them?

No LRF, even though ppl who came through here have used them.

Thermal hunting has many facets. Knowing distance is critical in any hunting, especially with rainbow trajectory cartridges, and even more critical at night.
On "normal pig" hunting at night when walking on them, 100 and under, LRF is useless. U need a fast "on" and quick recalibration unit. Pigs 50# & up.

Pig silhouette height varies, and practicing shooting at a 5" tall target will show you the need to know both the trajectory and distance on stripe pigs (babies) and 15-20# pigs.
Past 100 it gets more important on smaller pigs, the fatties, not so much. For head shots, Fer sure.

Coyotes, you have to know the distance. A LRF unit is a definite benefit. Absolutely.

Hunting the same dirt, knowing it, and comfortable with day kills and day distances, the lrf unit isn't that big a deal at night, however, any strange ground, Fer sure you need some way to measure distance.

Knowing where you will hunt and target size to trajectory will help you make that choice.

Stay safe

Reactions: smcfarland