• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Photos Oh Snap!

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2008
Southern Indiana
www.8541tactical.com
This is why it's a good reason to glass bed.

This is what my rifle looked like after SCUBA Diving at the range for a week. After a wipedown and some Militec it's all good. I was going to wait until the two week class was over, but the safety was getting sticky. Now I know why.

I think Glass bedding would have kept a lot of the rainwater flowing over the receiver and stock, and not INTO it.

Re: Oh Snap!

that was my first guess.
i had surface rust on my sps after 3 weeks exposed to basement air. a little silicon rag and it was good as new, but i was weary from then on.

I noticed very light rust forming on the Rem matte blue on my SPS-Varmint after a couple months sitting in my basement. I blasted the barreled action and bolt and Duracoated it.

I do believe bedding the action helps situations like yours, but there are enough areas which don't touch bedding that are out of reach of cleaning without removing it from the stock, which is NOT advisable with a bedded rifle, that some form of barrier coating is an excellent idea on a rifle that does time in the elements.

NukeMMC, nice ride in your siggy line. They're fun.

As to the bedding thing, I'm not sure I understand your thinking/statements, here's why. It sounds as if you're saying that the action part of the unit, while in the stock is pretty much maintaince free, at least as far as rust goes.
The other bit is, when I free float a barrel I prefer about 1/8" clearance around the barrel in the stock. Makes for easy cleaning out of the channel, & eliminates chances of pressure induced barrel stock contact.

So then maintaince wise, when the gun's still together, a rag coated with the "anti rust" of your choice can be run under the barrel & slid back & forth like shining a shoe.
It obviously doesn't get the action & the trigger however. Though to some degree trigger maint. can be done while it's still in the stock. However, the other bits are dicey in that regard.
I know that some guys glue their actions in, but I'm not quite up for that, & don't own an AI.

Anyone care to share maintaince tips on the heart of the action while it's still in the stock? Such would be appreciated.
Also, has anyone coated a reciever, in the above case the underside & mag box especially, with a 2 part epoxy paint? I'm curious as to how it fares on a field gun, & also compares to some of the bake on finishes.

I think if I spent a day in the rain with my expensive (or otherwise) rifle, the first thing I did when I got home would be take it apart. If I didn't have time, a good drenching with WD40 would displace any water untill I could get it apart. No way would it sit without any attention.
Unless the action is actually bonded to the stock, I don't see how you can keep moisture out form under it. Ceracote is probably the best coating on the market for things like that. You could also spray it with something like LPS4 before you put it together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think if I spent a day in the rain with my expensive (or otherwise) rifle, the first thing I did when I got home would be take it apart....... </div></div>

I have spent weeks in the rain with much more expensive rifles. Sometimes it's not feasible to remove it from the stock. I don't carry a torque wrench in the field.

I think I am eventually going to duracoat the action.

Thats the major critism I have of my SS Howa...it will rust as you look at it. I know no SS is 100%, but my SS Ruger is a lot better at resisting rust than my Howa.

So Duracoat or something similar is on the horizone for mine too...

For now, the bottom of the action gets coating of car wax and when it is back in the stock, the top gets the same treatment....This works ok short term, but wouldn't hold up to long in the field...

why not wipe a thin film of grease on it? Just some plain axle grease, or you could use silicone grease. I mean, there are all kinds of ways to prevent that from happening, but bottim linem is, it (the metal) needs to be protected some how.

Man! Sorry to see that! Ive been buying hunting guns that have been left in cases and look like that, sandblasting then beadblasting them and refinishing in either Duracoat or Epoxy automotive frame paint (seems to be tougher and is certainly cheaper!). It also seems to help seal things up on new guns too! Good luck bro!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why not wipe a thin film of grease on it?</div></div>

Grease allows things to move. Moving receivers inside stocks is not conductive to accuracy. I would rather it rust itself to the stock than slide around.

The pic makes it looks worse that it is. A wipedown cured it's ills. The bluing sucked up the Militec it should be good for a bit.

Right now I am trying to decide if I am going to replace the B&C with a Manners T4A. If I do, then I don't want to skim bed the B&C because I will have to grind it out to use the stock on another receiver.

I don't know your experience in bedding stocks, so if your experience is like mine (I did lots of M1s and M14s but only a couple bolt rifles) I would bed the B&C regardless for good practice in preparation for the Manners.

Another thing to consider is did you bed in the scope base? If not, and there was any gap, there is now most likely a (red) surprise waiting for you when you remove the base also. I bedded my base, but also DuraCoated the receiver/barrel with the base off and coated the base separately. Depending on how heavy you spray it on, the DuraCoat can run 1/2-2 mil DFT. I put a couple coats on the barreled receiver, so I am just a little tighter in the bedding than I was before. I don't think that's a bad thing..
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grounds Keeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NukeMMC, nice ride in your siggy line. They're fun.</div></div>

Yeah, that was the last boat I was on. Fast....REAL fast...real quiet...8 torpedo tubes and LOTS of reloads. Those 2 boats (Seawolf and Connecticut) were built to fight and WIN any open-ocean war against anyone. The "No Second Place" quote was posted everywhere with non-friendly SSN/SSBN pics on my first boat (a 688) when I was on her in the early 80s.....Cold War fun stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NukeMMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another thing to consider is did you bed in the scope base?</div></div>

Yes, I did bed the base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I did bed the base. </div></div>

Having read a bunch of your posts and been on your site, I kind of figured you would have, but it never hurts to get the reminders sometimes.

I've had some pretty crappy weather here (lots of rain and a day of snow) for the past week+ and sat my 700 SPS-V out on the back porch in it as a test on the DuraCoat. I'll be pulling it apart at lunch to check things out. Surface shows no rust, I want to see what the guts look like. Only thing I didn't DuraCoat was the trigger housing when I replaced the X-Junk with an older 40X.

Took the barreled receiver out of the stock today. No signs of rust anywhere except the trigger housing, and it was only surface rust that wiped off easily. I Duracoated the trigger bow, but not the housing. I'll be spraying the whole housing tonight. I'll use pinstriping tape to mask off the internals.