• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Ohio Shoot??

Re: Ohio Shoot??

39... That's a hell of a drive you're going to make. I'm pretty much a noob too other than the 40 rounds I've shot in a 75ft indoor range. lol So, if I'm going to try and put my "theories" to the test, why not you too?

Actually, I have a really good question for the experienced guys. I'm looking at a reasonably cheap scope, but for shooting the distances you do...is a 6-24x scope good enough, or should it have even more multiplication?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, I have a really good question for the experienced guys. I'm looking at a reasonably cheap scope, but for shooting the distances you do...is a 6-24x scope good enough, or should it have even more multiplication? </div></div>

Figure one power of "magnification" for every hundred yards is all you really need. My fixed 10x gets me to a 1000 yards just fine. Don't be that guy with your magnifications cranked up to 24x and can't engage the target because you can't find it in your narrow feild of view. As far as reasonably inexpensive scopes, A 10x Super Sniper will serve you just fine. I did for me and many others anyhow.

You'll find that anything in the 14 - 16 is about what most use. Some do crank it up but like WhoShotYa mentioned you narrow your field of view and in the summer the higher magnification will pick up the mirage more. On a really clear day a bit higher is nice but not a necessity. I haven't seen the new 12x SS yet but it might be an inexpensive option. If you have a 6 - 24 already then by all means start off with it. Some matches do have some really small targets at the extended distances but only the really good shooters will go for them and a low power scopes crosshairs may cover them up. Usually plenty of bigger stuff that a lower power scope will easily see.

Biggest thing you'll want in a scope is clarity and it absolutely has to be reliable as you crank on it for your various settings and have it return to it's zero everytime. With the precision needed you can't have it not go to where you want it each time you turn crank those knobs.

Topstrap

Topstrap correct me if I am wrong, if I remember right the Smallest target is 2 1/2"x4". I can't remember the exact ranges but it beyond 600yds.

That used to be at the 500 and 900 yard lines but I think it's moved over to the 700 yard position that is to the right of the 630 yard target. Really really small at that distance. Not many shoot at it unless they are doing really well or really bad and want to catch up
smile.gif

But right beside it is a 15" circle, any position that has a small high value target also has a larger lower point value target beside it for us of less ability.

That makes it more interesting and challenging for the shooters, gamble and get more points or get a big ole zero and a really close miss.

Topstrap

The get together is a perfect time to try since there is no points and just for fun.

I hit it at the last get together. I was surprised i could do it. Beginers luck might have been part of it, since it was my first time shooting there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those that haven't been there, the Rayner's also have food and drinks available at the concession/registration/shop area during the matches. I'd bet if Whit(being the organizer of this) were to ask nicely, Mrs. Tom would have some sandwiches and such there for lunch on the 5th. </div></div>

Here is the email that Tom just sent me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott,
I asked Carolyn. She said if you would let us know a week ahead of time on how many people might be here. she would do the concessions. It will be a short list. 2 or 3 different sandwiches chips and drinks. Just let us know.
Tom</div></div>

Could everyone speak up on who's going to go so I can get Tom a number that would be great. I will keep track and let Tom know when the day gets closer.

While I can't commit to anything this far out, I'd definitely be interested in joining you guys if I end up being able to (and if you have room, of course).

There are typically 50 or so shooters at the monthly matches, so I'm sure there will be plenty of room for the fun day.

Put me on the go list, but I'd guess it's too far out to put together a solid number of shooters. The weather scared a few off last time around
smirk.gif

The weather always scares some shooters away. They act like there rifles will melt. LOL

We'll be there even if we're there alone.

Went out today, man it was sure nice and warm, and steady 15-20mph winds with some well above 30 at some of the positions. Whole trees were swaying from the ground up, and I mean big trees. Couldn't keep anything on the table, even my big heavy tripod with the spotting scope would blow over if not holding on to it. Tables vibrating, kept looking for horizontal flying cows to go by.

Took the new rifle and my short gun out for some tweaking. When the wind slacked off it took 6moa for the far targets. Actually once ya got wind call right was pretty easy to ding all the targets. Even managed 2 in a row on the 8" 1000 yard target with the rifle and a couple 10 point hits with the pistol at 990. Ya gotta plan to come May 5th, great time no matter what the conditions and a great learning experience.

Bring what ya feel comfortable with and it don't matter if you've never shot past 50 yards before. Come on out, be a great time to practice and learn and have a blast doing it. Bring plenty of ammo.

Topstrap

Well, got my scope in today so I'm definitely going to have my ass out there with my own rifle, however inaccurate I'll be. lol Also got a couple boxes of Hornady SST in a 162gr in the same shipment, have another shipment on the way with some HSM 168 or 175, can't remember which, and a box of Remington Scirroco Bonded 175gr so I can see which feels best to me.

As for the scope, I did get the 6-24x Bushnell with mil dot, I just figure it will give me the option to see how I like the 10-16x range and maybe if I like higher power then its okay too.

All that...^^^... means I'm definitely on the list for the 5th, regardless of weather.
wink.gif

I made it out there yesterday and it turned out that a few others had the same idea. I had a great time shooting and BSing with everyone. Turned out to be a great day for shooting except for the haze at the 900-1000 yard targets. There is a lot of moisture in the ground trying to get out.

Hopefully everyone reading this doesn't think they must wait until May 5th to get out and shoot. The monthly matches are on the 4th Sunday of every month and are as laid back as you could ask them to be.

The monthly Rayner's match is coming up on Feb 26 if anybody wants to come out and shoot.

I will do my best to come out on the 26th, but my rifle is not worthy of being fired. I got a laser bore sight, checked it out and was off almost 2" low & to the left at just 75'. I went ahead & installed my new base & scope, leveled it all out & rechecked...same thing.

I just went up and talked to Mark at Short Action Customs today and I think I'll be ordering up a real weapons system in the near future so I can have something nice to shoot in May.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WildHareMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will do my best to come out on the 26th, but my rifle is not worthy of being fired. I got a laser bore sight, checked it out and was off almost 2" low & to the left at just 75'. I went ahead & installed my new base & scope, leveled it all out & rechecked...same thing.

I just went up and talked to Mark at Short Action Customs today and I think I'll be ordering up a real weapons system in the near future so I can have something nice to shoot in May.
wink.gif
</div></div>
I'm not understanding something ...... you checked your rifle with a laser bore sighter and decided it won't work
confused.gif
I'm glad I don't own one of those bore sighter thingamajigs
laugh.gif

With a little notice we can probably find you a gun to shoot next weekend.

Only thing I've found those lazer bore sight thingys are good for is they make a great targets. Get the gun lined up on a bench, look thru the bore and center the target exactly in the center of the bore at 100 yards and you'll be on paper then adjust to fine tune. With a bit of practice you'll be surprised how close you can get and be on even at 200 yards by bore sighting.

Monday looks like only decent day next week and buddy just got his new Savage LRP in 260. Planning on going down to Toms to tweak and get him some settings. WildHareMS, if you are available on Monday bring it on down to Toms and we'll try to help ya get it figured out.

Mike, Tom might have my new action by the shoot, if you think of it maybe bring another of those bolt handles down and I'll swap ya. Same one we got before on sons gun please.

Topstrap

It may not be the rifle. I may be the laser-sighter itself. They have been known to be wrong. I have two and got to tell you it's easier to take the bolt out and look through yourself (as mentioned by the last post above) to sight it in.

Try that before you give up on the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m14er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget us Kentucky boys. We also love to shoot a little. Count in me plus 3.

I have always wanted to shoot at Rayners and TVP. This might be the year.

Please keep me posted...... </div></div>

I'm sure glad somebody spoke up on our behalf!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mike, Tom might have my new action by the shoot, if you think of it maybe bring another of those bolt handles down and I'll swap ya. Same one we got before on sons gun please.

Topstrap </div></div>
I just happen to have one of those made up and ready to go, so I'll bring it along.

I don't completely trust the laser sight by any means. I did however make sure to rotate it in the chamber a few times to different clock positions to see how much it changed and it didn't. I'm not trying to say that the laser bore sight tool is the be all end all by any means.

I wish I could be available Monday. Unfortunately, my current position at work basically makes me about 11-12hr day starting at 7am in my office. Getting any weekdays off in the near future (2-3mos) will be pretty much an impossible feat.

My son, myself and a couple buddies are planning on going to Rayners this Sunday (3/11/12) for some much needed tweaking. Will prob get there about 10AM. Weather looks good but maybe a slight bit of wind but that is a normal thing there.

Topstrap

I want too so bad, my rifle is still out getting rebarreled. Then on top of it I got screwed and had my work schedule switched around for the next 6 wks so I have to work every Sundays now (for straight time).

If noobs are welcome I would like to get involved as well. I am in the Dayton area and we have nothing longer than 100yd around the area that I am aware of. Please post up the range fees etc. and count me in.

It only cost $10 for the day, They will also have a concession stand with some food.

It will be a fun day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdebo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will come if I am done planting. </div></div>

Just ride over on your tractor!

If you ever figure out a solid date, I might be in. I'll keep watching and see what goes down!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are planning on May 5th for all interested. I already put in my vacation in all. </div></div>

May 5th is the solid date. I said that in a earlier post, about half way down the 1st page.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPS308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If noobs are welcome I would like to get involved as well. I am in the Dayton area and we have nothing longer than 100yd around the area that I am aware of. Please post up the range fees etc. and count me in.

</div></div>
New guys are always welcomed and encouraged. This is just a fun day to hang out and shoot your rifles. It's even more fun to shoot other peoples rifles and specialty pistols
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My son, myself and a couple buddies are planning on going to Rayners this Sunday (3/11/12) for some much needed tweaking. Will prob get there about 10AM. Weather looks good but maybe a slight bit of wind but that is a normal thing there.

Topstrap </div></div>

Awww hell. I wish I had seen that post.

My new position has kept me so damn busy I have even less time to check the site out than before. I swore it was going to be the other way around. I guess my reps & customers have decided otherwise though.

I'm still going to be at the shoot. As of right now there is only one thing that might change my plans. Of of my friends is releasing his 8th film on one of three dates between May/June which hasn't been locked down, but of course one day he's considering is of course May 5th. On of the other dates he's considering is the same day as my son's graduation, we know which wins out that way. So I'm really helping for the 3rd possible date so I can do all three wonderful things.

This should be fun. I have a new stock and a new to me IOR 3-18 coming in and just enough time to do a little bit of load development. Hopefully I can hit something past 100yd or maybe not.

Hopefully I will be able to make it. First time shooting past 300yds and looking forward to it! Rick

Woohooo! Heard officially from my buddy that his film release will now be at least August, so I'm definitely still in for the 5th of May!

Heading down this Friday (4/13) to get some settings for my new rifle. Pistol is broke, pulled the rear lug completely out of the stock the last shoot but hope to have it all back together for the May 5th get together. Been wondering why it's not been performing the last two matches but guess a floppy action might do that.
smile.gif

Will probably be 4 or 5 of us heading down. Be there about 10, come on down if not busy.

Topstrap

i might be able to make it down there. i just got a 700 5r and zeroed. gonna try and gather some information for my load. hope to see you guys.

dennis

I was thinking of getting there around 8am-9am.

You all missed a really nice day at Rayners on Friday. Comfortable temps but as usual light variable winds play havoc with just enough change to cause very close misses. Got the back action bolt lug rebedded in the XP and it's shooting like it used to with a lot of first round hits thru 990 yards but I'm sure come match day it'll forget where it's supposed to hit.

dcasanova showed up with his new rifle and did very well with his new 308. Enjoyed his company and seeing his new gun perform very well with his reloads from his other gun.

Don't forget the long range match next Saturday and Sunday (April 28th and 29th). Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday May 5th. Hope it's warm, dry and calm so everyone can have an enjoyable day ringing steel.

Topstrap

Just reviving this again, looking forward to May 5th. Hope to have a couple new shooters with me also. We'll bring extra rounds for all the guns so others can try out different combinations.

Topstrap

I am starting to get a little nervous. My rifle isn't back yet and there is only 1 1/2wks left till the shoot.

I am going to call Jered Friday to try to get a update. He said he is going to try to get it back by then. To make a long story short my rifle ended up on the wrong list, it should have been done 2-3wks ago. He expressed that he was sorry and told me to call anytime. The only reason he caught it was because I call and asked about it. I have only called twice since February. He called me last Friday and told me he had it chambered and barrel was threaded (i am guessing for the action and muzzle brake). I think all thats left to do is rebed/inlet the stock and coat the barreled action. I think its going to be cutting it close.

I'm going to try to make my first trip on the 5th.

Count me in, see you guys there!

Dustin

Can we get a number of people who are <span style="text-decoration: underline">definitely</span> going to be there??

I'm still planning on being there if I can get some ammo loaded.
How rounds should I bring? Never shot past 100yds before,(a noobie I am)