• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Old cowboy movies

By the way, cowboys and Aliens was taken from a "comic" Many of the scenes were straight from the comic, such as the one where he is staring straight up through the blasted roof. Some lot weaknesses, such as the alien interest in gold when there are other more useful minerals and far easier to get at in the asteroid belt, without having to deal with those pesky humans, BUT, a pretty good standalone movie. No need for a sequel, no need for any explanation. It fit.

Reactions: jpickens
I was never of a fan of the Spaghetti westerns, I always preferred the Duke in that era.
However, The Outlaw Josey Wales was an exceptional movie.
Pale Rider = Shane, both very good movies,
Some of the more modern one are pretty damn good as well.
I really liked Open Range
Silverado is well liked by a lot of folks.
If you want something tongue in cheek, Rustlers Rhapsody is a hoot. You have to pay attention.

While it's not a movie, it is real "cowboy" music. Google Dave Stamey and sit back and listen. Buy his stuff if you like true western genre. And of course, if you really like it, buy the music so Dave don't starve. He's a great poet as well, and was recently inducted into the Cowboy Poetry Hall of Fame. And yeah, he got his start as a real cowboy (buckaroo actually) and rode the ride, and walked the talk.

I totally overlooked Butch Cassidy. That's a great movie. Except for the really ghey bicycle scene. Though the safety bicycle was having a fad then... so it is historically-correct.

Great flick. Great post!

Cheers,

Sirhr
Yep can't leave that one out. I still haven't seen the new version "Butch and Sundance" I believe it is.

Agree with all..... a few I would recommend:
Culpepper Cattle Company
The Sacketts(t.v. series)
Centennial (t.v. series)
Rio Grande ( Ken Curtis AKA Festus) sings lead for Sons of the Pioneers. That show is when Duke first noticed Ken.
Comes a Horseman (if you can stomach Hanoi Jane, there's some good ropin' and gatherin' scenes...... and who doesn't like Richard Farnsworth.....

Anything Eastwood, Josey Wales was probably my favorite. He's an easy man to track, leaves dead men wherever he goes. Classic! The Lonesome Dove mini series was excellent, Robert Duvall was made for his part.

Don't forget the Searchers

i-p5MJSbw-S.jpg

Last edited:
I remember watching The Cowboys when I was a teen in the 90s. Everything my Father was trying to teach me clicked right there and then.

Then I took him to see Fight Club. I don't think we've had a single diagreement since...

The TV series "The Virginian" is a favorite at our house. One of my all time favorites is "The Quick and the Dead" with Sam Elliot (not the dufas Sharon Stone version!) "You have a fine looking woman there, McCaskill" (Kate Kapshaw)

The Gunsmoke series (another favorite and a particular favorite of my #5 Grandson). In the intro to the show, James Arness would blink when his gun fired after his quick draw. I pointed this out to my Grandson at about 3-4 years of age, and every time it would come on Riley would say "yup he blinked again, Papa! :)

Speaking of which, this past fire season, the place where more westerns were filmed than in any other place, the Paramount Ranch, went up in flames. Sad, as it goes back to the day when Hollywood liked guns.

I'll second nearly everything mentioned before and add Nevada Smith. And Magnificent Seven.

Lonesome Dove, The Searchers and Outlaw Josey Wales are my all time favs.

A fun and obscure watch is The Cheyenne Social Club.

I recently canceled my 1000 channels of nothing tv subscription and only have antenna TV and internet. There's a couple obscure channels from the antenna that have opened my eyes to old westerns. I use a jailbroken FireStick to seek out different movies that come up in my Google searches for the best cowboy movies, but most of the lists contain the same movies. Do you guys have any favorites? So far The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is my favorite with Rio Bravo in a close second.
John Wa

I recently canceled my 1000 channels of nothing tv subscription and only have antenna TV and internet. There's a couple obscure channels from the antenna that have opened my eyes to old westerns. I use a jailbroken FireStick to seek out different movies that come up in my Google searches for the best cowboy movies, but most of the lists contain the same movies. Do you guys have any favorites? So far The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is my favorite with Rio Bravo in a close second.
John Wayne has always been a fav. But still so many great ones like, John wick, tombstone, days of thunder and on and on

What a fun thread! Ive never been able to come out of the closet before with my love for westerns! All the Clint/Duke/Leone movies are great. Heres a list (many repeats and some new), enjoy!

-Josey Whales
-Man With No Name series (fistufll etc)
-Fistull of Dynamite (james Coburn)
-True Grit (the real one, cant fuckin remake the duke)
-mcClintock
-rio bravo
-the cowboys
-the three godfathers (old duke xmas movie)
-the shootist
-the quiet man (not a western but really good)
-support your local sherriff (James Gardner)
-Support your local gunfighter

I think clint needs to do one more Man With No Name movie but he is like a scary paranormal old man gunfighter ghost! That would be a proper full circle retirement movie!

All time favorite John Wayne western is El Dorado. I enjoy all of his films both color and black and white. El Dorado will always remain my favorite as it was my introduction to John Wayne as a youth with my late grandfather. Great movie if you haven’t seen it load up on ? and ? and watch it!

If you want to talk about old westerns then you have to talk about Howard Hawks as well. Red River and Big Sky for example.
Howard Hawk made some great movies.Big Sky was one of my favorites.

Shane was a classic western,I love the shoot out at the end of the movie with Shane and Wilson.

I seen a good western yesterday called California with Barbara Stanwick and Ray Maland.Good movie.