• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Old Solingen belt knife - help?

DownhillFromHere

Aim > Impact > Take a Nap
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2017
This knife was brought to me as a gift by my father, returning from one of his overseas tours. It would have been about 1962, he would have been E7 or E8 then. I was 9 years old. For the next several years, this knife went through the hades that only a boy growing up in the south in the early '60s could dish out. The pommel was used as a hammer. The blade shows the scratches and gouges a kid with a sharpening stone (or a rock) would inflict (glare masks them in this image).

"SOLINGEN GERMANY" is found on one side of the ricasso (shown). Other side says "STAINLESS." The handle appears to be actual antler or horn of some persuasion. The sheath has a pressed-in outline of a stag and "Made in Germany" by the belt slots (which I cut to fit a '60s-era Army pistol belt - seemed like a good idea at the time).

My questions are:
  • Does anyone have any idea whether this knife has any value or a point to begin research?
  • Can anyone recommend an outfit to restore it - polish the scratches and gouges out of the blade and pommel, etc.?
  • Would it be worth restoring?
Thanks.
VZestOLAR+2uR%jB7dq3Ew_thumb_2b5.jpg

Never mind. I consulted my friend Google. These were ubiquitous knives and have minimal value today beyond memories of a carefree childhood (well, in October 1962 it was anything but carefree... if the hawks had won the cabinet arguments, none of us would be here).

Stag handle Solingen hunter... don’t even THINK of restoring that gem!

It’s not worth a ton except to you. And every bit of wear in that knife is earned.

Keep it sharp and keep the rust Off it and your kids kids kids will be using it.

Stag handle, btw. Solingen blades are among the worlds best. Old style designs for hunting... but lots were carried by military. They have been forging blades in that part of Germany for 2000 years. They know what they are doing!

Beautiful piece and thanks for posting!!

Sirhr

The knife isn't totally unlike one that I was given in late 60s or early 70s - except mine had a layered tree bark handle. That is a style that was often given as a child's first knife.

Keep the battle scars.

My dad got me a knife like that. Mom took it away before I ever got to try it. It turned up a few years later. Mom gave it to my aunt who gave it to my cousin. He loved it. I wished I had it. Later, I bought an Air Force survival knife. I lost it out berry picking/pine nut gathering. I went back a month or so later and there it was right under the elderberry bush I was climbing in and hanging upside down in. It was rusted and the leather handle rings had shrunk up, but I cleaned it up. I can't remember what I ended up doing with that knife.

I would sharpen the knife, use some saddle soap to clean up the sheath, and call it good. Every scratch and mark on the knife shows it was used like it is supposed to be used.

If the sheath leather has dried out you can re-oil it with vegetable oil. I had a saddle maker tell me that he used vegetable oil on all the saddles and tack in his barn, and the only issue he had was that his wife gave him funny looks when he would head to the barn with the bottle of vegetable oil.

Last edited: