• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old Suppressor Rebuild/Recore/Conversion

rybe390

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2017
Alright, this is a fun one.

Long story short, one of the cans I have is an aac sdn6, my first suppressor. It's a heavy 23oz and 8" long sumbitch, and has been converted to accept bravo thread mounting systems. It sounds great on bolt guns, it's just heavy AF. It's also not magnum rated.

I have a few suppressors in jail, and it has me thinking about this sdn6, which will be going from a do all utility can, to just a spare suppressor I might put on a bolt gun, as there are quieter and lighter things on the market now, as well as what I'll have in the safe.

Aac offers a recore/conversion service for $700 that will essentially convert my sdn6 into a ranger 7, removing about 3/4", 6oz, and making it a tubeless design that can handle magnum rounds, and slapping a fresh warranty and customer support back on the suppressor.

I'm slightly tempted to go down this route to make this suppressor less of a gigantic chungus and more reasonable for a "utility 30 cal can" that I can chuck on guns that aren't dedicated hosts.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what you'd do in my situation here? Kgm r30 and ecco 5x5 are in jail, with my eye on a cgs helios qd ti. This conversion would delay my need for a 4th can by a good bit.

Pros:
Magnum calibers OK.
17oz is much more normal, usable on less than 20lb rifles.
Updated baffle design/tubeless may suppress better?
Suppressor back in warranty

Fast

Cons:
$700 could go to new can
Can sounds good, is just heavy.
Could not suppress well at all

Plus one for ECCO. I had them convert my sdn6 and my 556 aac to direct thread.

If I had or wanted a recore they would be choice

They can do anything but make your suppressor longer.
I ecco did the mount conversion and I love it. However for a recore Nick said it wouldn't drop any weight, and I'd still have the non-factory support.

Reactions: HOOFER
$700 would go towards a new can if I were you. Dedicate that to a gun and or use it as a beater can

Reactions: doubloon
Use that 700 towards a TBAC can. Yeah they're pricy. But they are much lighter and one of the best in the industry. An ultra 7 or dominus would be the best if trying to shave length. Otherwise the ultra 9 or Magnus if 9" isn't too big for you

Long story short, one of the cans I have is an aac sdn6, my first suppressor. It's a heavy 23oz and 8" long sumbitch, and has been converted to accept bravo thread mounting systems. It sounds great on bolt guns, it's just heavy AF. It's also not magnum rated.

I have a few suppressors in jail, and it has me thinking about this sdn6, which will be going from a do all utility can, to just a spare suppressor I might put on a bolt gun, as there are quieter and lighter things on the market now, as well as what I'll have in the safe.

Aac offers a recore/conversion service for $700 that will essentially convert my sdn6 into a ranger 7, removing about 3/4", 6oz, and making it a tubeless design that can handle magnum rounds, and slapping a fresh warranty and customer support back on the suppressor.

I'm slightly tempted to go down this route to make this suppressor less of a gigantic chungus and more reasonable for a "utility 30 cal can" that I can chuck on guns that aren't dedicated hosts.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what you'd do in my situation here? Kgm r30 and ecco 5x5 are in jail, with my eye on a cgs helios qd ti. This conversion would delay my need for a 4th can by a good bit.

Pros:
Magnum calibers OK.

Fast

Cons:
$700 could go to new can
For a little more than $700 you can have ECCO recore your can and buy one of their cans. The five by five(5.56 can) is only $450 plus they do holiday sales a lot.

Reactions: BurtG
For a little more than $700 you can have ECCO recore your can and buy one of their cans. The five by five(5.56 can) is only $450 plus they do holiday sales a lot.
=]

Pros:
Magnum calibers OK.

Fast

Cons:
$700 could go to new can
I’m curious to see the end result of the AAC tubeless conversion, honestly… $700 and no wait for another stamp, plus you make a semi-useful can into a very useful can. 👍🏼

I’m curious to see the end result of the AAC tubeless conversion, honestly… $700 and no wait for another stamp, plus you make a semi-useful can into a very useful can. 👍🏼
I went for it, sending it in this week. I will certainly holler with how it goes. Reddit vs snipershide opinions were very different.

Reactions: FuhQ
I went for it, sending it in this week. I will certainly holler with how it goes. Reddit vs snipershide opinions were very different.
Keep us posted. I’ve got a buddy who bought an SDN6 back in like 2010. He might be interested in the conversion himself.

Use that 700 towards a TBAC can. Yeah they're pricy. But they are much lighter and one of the best in the industry. An ultra 7 or dominus would be the best if trying to shave length. Otherwise the ultra 9 or Magnus if 9" isn't too big for you
This is what id do too. Sucks to see an old can go to waste but I fear that's just how things are due to our disgraceful NFA system.

The best thing to do IMO is to try and use single shot trusts and offload them to less fortunate family and friends as a charitable method of justifying buying new things 😊

Reactions: FuhQ
I’m surprised aac will touch it since it’s already been cut and welded on. What mount will it have when they’re done? I have an sdn6 that Ecco converted to hub.

Pros:
Magnum calibers OK.

Fast

Cons:
$700 could go to new can
ECCO you won’t spend $700 either.

Pros: Everything will be better, future proof it by going w the Bravo Mount

Cons: you didn’t do it sooner

Reactions: Dave and Bluedog82
I know this is an old thread but I am hoping you see this. I have the same suppressor and thinking about having AAC do the work. Did you get yours back? If so can you provide input on how it is? I too agree that it would be great to not just sit around collecting dust. I would like to use it for bolt action rifles.

I know this is an old thread but I am hoping you see this. I have the same suppressor and thinking about having AAC do the work. Did you get yours back? If so can you provide input on how it is? I too agree that it would be great to not just sit around collecting dust. I would like to use it for bolt action rifles.

I got mine back. If you are looking for reduced weight, hub threads, magnum rating, and a warranty, I'd say send it.

If you have a sdn6 and don't need weight, magnum, or warranty, send to ecco for a conversion.

I would say the old sdn6 sounded better for tone, maybe similar overall suppression However, the conversion still sounds VERY good for how small it is, it's like 6.25" and 13.5oz without a mount. It can be shot without ears on a 24" 6.5 prc comfortably. Not for long, but it doesn't "sting" like a K can would. Solid little utility can at this point.

What used to be dumb heavy is now usable. Is the way I look at it. But I 100% miss the tone the old can had.

Reactions: FuhQ and Dog Doc
I got mine back. If you are looking for reduced weight, hub threads, magnum rating, and a warranty, I'd say send it.

If you have a sdn6 and don't need weight, magnum, or warranty, send to ecco for a conversion.

I would say the old sdn6 sounded better for tone, maybe similar overall suppression However, the conversion still sounds VERY good for how small it is, it's like 6.25" and 13.5oz without a mount. It can be shot without ears on a 24" 6.5 prc comfortably. Not for long, but it doesn't "sting" like a K can would. Solid little utility can at this point.

What used to be dumb heavy is now usable. Is the way I look at it. But I 100% miss the tone the old can had.
I do have a 6.5 PRC being built.... So may have to go this route over ecco. I have seen some say it would work but some say it won't. Do you have any ideas? I just want to use it again and without the crappy mounts!

Got any pics of the refurb? Curious to see how it turned out. 👍🏼

A lot of folks might dismiss it, but just the HUB conversion would make the SDN6 a better can. But all the other upgrades seem to for-sure be worth the money. Plus, no wait-time or $200 more for another stamp.

I had them do 2 of my cans and am extremely happy with them both. I'd just email then send em in with the info of what you want done in the box with the can and be specific. They arent the best at communicating but they do outstanding work and do it for a fair price and quickly.

I had them do 2 of my cans and am extremely happy with them both. I'd just email then send em in with the info of what you want done in the box with the can and be specific. They arent the best at communicating but they do outstanding work and do it for a fair price and quickly.
Are you talking about AAC or Ecco?

I had ECCO convert my AAC 762SD to hub mount.

Quick turnaround and fantastic workmanship.

I use it on my AR’s as well as a loaner/beater can.

Having the choice I would absolutely do it again.

I had ECCO convert my AAC 762SD to hub mount.

Quick turnaround and fantastic workmanship.

I use it on my AR’s as well as a loaner/beater can.

Having the choice I would absolutely do it again.
Yeah I would also absolutely do it again. One of the ones I had done was a form 1 can all titanium and the other was a very basic can my buddy's shop did, basically a kit can. Ecco turned both into legit cans that work and made them lighter. Outstanding work

I had ecco convert both my SD cans (one an SD-N6) a few years ago, and love their work…. However went ahead and had AAC do the resto-mod (Ranger 7 conversion) on the SD a couple months ago because I had a very slight end cap strike on that one that was bothering me, and frankly was just curious how it’d turn out. it also got me a replaceable end cap.

When they told me they could also recore my worn out TiRant 45, and get new warranties on both by recoring, it was a done deal for me.

Very happy with the result:

1695459849536.png

edit: LoL…my ipad just snipped the cans and the tool…let’s try that again.

IMG_5050.jpeg

IMG_5051.jpeg

Reactions: FuhQ and Dog Doc
I had ecco convert both my SD cans (one an SD-N6) a few years ago, and love their work…. However went ahead and had AAC do the resto-mod (Ranger 7 conversion) on the SD a couple months ago because I had a very slight end cap strike on that one that was bothering me, and frankly was just curious how it’d turn out. it also got me a replaceable end cap.

When they told me they could also recore my worn out TiRant 45, and get new warranties on both by recoring, it was a done deal for me.

Very happy with the result:

View attachment 8233531

edit: LoL…my ipad just snipped the cans and the tool…let’s try that again.

View attachment 8233532

View attachment 8233533
You may or may not be able to answer this but I'm hoping you can give insight. I am considering the same move for a "precision" can. I have Area 419 mounts on many precision bolt actions. With this work, I can then use the Area 419 direct thread adapter to their mounting system. Do you or any others think this would do a good job? In theory it would eliminate what made the original sdn-6 crappy. TIA

You may or may not be able to answer this but I'm hoping you can give insight. I am considering the same move for a "precision" can. I have Area 419 mounts on many precision bolt actions. With this work, I can then use the Area 419 direct thread adapter to their mounting system. Do you or any others think this would do a good job? In theory it would eliminate what made the original sdn-6 crappy. TIA

The new can is basically a new Ranger 7; it uses the industry standard 1.375-24 threaded hub mount.

More info: https://advanced-armament.com/restoration-program/