• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing On the topic of Pigs...

Remoah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2010
Victoria, Australia
Soooo.
Being 3am and watching Discovery on a friday night (like the social mofo i am), there was this show on professional pig hunters.

After which, they described pigs as a 'major threat to life' and their removal 'made american homes safer'.

Just how many people are killed by pigs every year in the US? i've never heard of it in Australia (and we have a helluva lot of pigs). Sounds like dramatisation to me?

Re: On the topic of Pigs...

I can't swear to it, but I doubt there are many, and more likely none. In my oninion alot of what you hear about hogs being dangerous is just hype. Guys like to make them sound like they're on the level of dangerous game, and will charge intending to kill you at the drop of a hat. Personaly I think this is a crock. While they are fun to hunt, and do tear up a lot of stuff, I deffinately won't classify them as dangerous game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I deffinately won't classify them as dangerous game. </div></div>

I have a friend I use to hunt with in Florida that might contest that. Many years ago in Green swamp, he an I separated just before a place called, Hog Island.
Long, short, I stopped the bleeding with both of our belts, an got him to proper medical help. He could still walk, after leaving the Hospital, but lost both nuts an most of the meat on both thighs. About a week later, 2 Florida F&G officers, I knew an worked with at times an I, went in to find that pig. I believe/hope I killed the right one. The Doc's said they thought the tusks matched an the color patterns, size, ect, Bob gave me, were correct as well.
Never let your guard down, no matter the quarry you hunt,...

The worst Ive heard from first hand account is the bastards killing chickens at a family friends ranch he had. He would have to lock up all the small animals to keep the pigs from eating them at night. He even caught a little piglet and tried to farm raise it but that ended up eating a bunch of shit once it got little bigger. I hear horror stories all the time but I hear the same about bears. Most of the time I see bears they are on the run but they def have the ability and tools needed to put the hurtin on you, as do wildpigs.

Is a wild hog as dangerous as a bear, no probably not but they are dangerous. Actually all hogs are dangerous, wild or not i've been charged and ran over by both, not hurt but could have.

Deer are dangerous as well, you seen those videos where they beat the krap out of people or pets, well hogs can hurt you worst than a deer but the differnce is a deer will more than likely run away if you come up on it, a hog may run away but is alot more likely to charge you than a deer is.

I think this is why hogs are talked about like they are so dangerous. Unlike most animals they will attack you insted of running away. There are probably many animals that are just a dangerous but they don't attack very often, hogs do.

Another thing to consider is there are alot more wild hogs down here in the south, especially from dallas,tx east to flordia. These hogs aren't out in the middle of a field alot of times, they are down in swapy river bottoms. This is where i've had a run in before, down in the sabine river bottom, you could hardly see the thing and it came out of nowhere and charged me and another buddy.

Do they kill people, i don't know how many people i've heard actually killed by one but have heard of many incidents of people being mauled by them, but I believe they could kill somone.

Trust me hogs are dangerous. Are they major threat to life? Not really in my opinion but they can and will hurt people and are definately a nusiance here in the south where their numbers have exploded tremendously in the last few years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Soooo.
Being 3am and watching Discovery on a friday night (like the social mofo i am), there was this show on professional pig hunters.

After which, they described pigs as a 'major threat to life' and their removal 'made american homes safer'.

Just how many people are killed by pigs every year in the US? i've never heard of it in Australia (and we have a helluva lot of pigs). Sounds like dramatisation to me? </div></div>

Most of the wild pigs here are not native wild boar. They where introduced, we actually refer to them as feral hogs. (Russian boars) They tear up the land, and over eat the resources that other native animals need. They are now going into peoples back yards in urban areas, here in the south east US. The state of South Carolina, and now starting this year North Carolina, have unlimited bag limits on feral hogs.

Basically they do not belong here in our ecosystem.

Wild pigs can be dangerous, just like any wild animal that is sick, injured, and/or cornered. It has been well documented that they will charge if they are cornered or injured. There are many injuries every year associated with wild pigs but not that many deaths. In fact, if there are 20 deaths in the U.S. each year I would be surprised. I tried looking up statistics for this but couldn't find much.

The reason for so many injuries is the nature of the pigs and their habitat. Pigs typically like very thick overgrown brushy type areas to bed and when injured by a bad shot will often seek out this type of terrain. Seeking out an injured pig in this type of terrain is where most injuries happen. You have to get close to the pig in a place where you can’t see much or move much.

I do know of at least two deaths in California in the last several years. One guy got gored in the thigh and it severed the femoral artery and he bled to death in a matter of minutes. The other guy got stuck in the buttock and never got the right medical treatment for it and it turned gangrene on him and he succumbed to infection.

A family friend in florida reported that he was losing about an acre of land a day to these hogs. They just tear everything up in thier way. He has the local boys doing alot of shooting but they arnt putting a big enough dent in the population.

I've never been charged but my dad's been charged/chased several times all have been wounded pigs and at least 2 of them in all thinking should have been dead but were still pretty mobile and severlly pissed.

Not to mention they carry disease. DNR in Carolina recommends you where gloves, mask, and eye protection when dressing.

I'm in Texas and we're over run with them. I think the most dangerous place to encounter them is on the highway at night. You just can't see them until you're on top of em. I've killed hundreds of feral hogs while deer hunting. They eat everything and tear a lot of land up. I've only been charged once, and a .223 to the skull solved the problem in short order.

Hogs have a reputation for being tough to kill, but I've never had a problem. Most (90%+) have dropped where I shot them. And, I've shot them with a bunch of different cartridges, all the way down to 9mm with FMJs. That wasn't the brightest idea, but that hog (200 lb. sow) didn't make it more than 45 yards. I started shooting them with my deer rifles, but it didn't seem to matter where I hit them, they'd just drop. Shot with an AR in the lungs they'll run less than 100 yards., if they run at all. I've had excellent results with .40s&w and .45 acp using various Hornady xtp jacketed hollow points.

Fort Benning had eradication teams going. (Until one hunter was downrange during a live MG shoot and was killed.) He failed to follow the rules and the teams were disbanded. Theyll start up again once the pigs/hogs are rooting around the Ranger Memorial.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Giles.S.Silverman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fort Benning had eradication teams going. (Until one hunter was downrange during a live MG shoot and was killed.) He failed to follow the rules and the teams were disbanded. Theyll start up again once the pigs/hogs are rooting around the Ranger Memorial. </div></div>

Not being in the military I was not there when this happened, but I did work on that research project while I was in college at Auburn University. Benning has a hell of a lot of pigs!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fort Benning had eradication teams going. (Until one hunter was downrange during a live MG shoot and was killed.) He failed to follow the rules and the teams were disbanded. Theyll start up again once the pigs/hogs are rooting around the Ranger Memorial.</div></div>

Respectfully, sir, where did you get this?

Fort Benning (to the best of my knowledge) had environmental study teams working on post (including teams from Auburn University) but never any eradication teams. Eventually the post offered a $20 bounty per pig tail (open to any on-post hunter) until they ran out of the $3+ million program money.

Even the Commanding General's mansion, "Riverside" was open to archery-only, as well as new construction areas. The first year the CG's mansion grounds were opened they harvested 17 deer (2005, I believe).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fort Benning had eradication teams going. (Until one hunter was downrange during a live MG shoot and was killed.) He failed to follow the rules and the teams were disbanded. Theyll start up again once the pigs/hogs are rooting around the Ranger Memorial.</div></div>

Fort Benning (to the best of my knowledge) had environmental study teams working on post (including teams from Auburn University) but never any eradication teams. Eventually the post offered a $20 bounty per pig tail (open to any on-post hunter) until they ran out of the $3+ million program money.

Even the Commanding General's mansion, "Riverside" was open to archery-only, as well as new construction areas. The first year the CG's mansion grounds were opened they harvested 17 deer (2005, I believe). </div></div>

I heard a rumor about the eradication teams as well, only they were supposedly contracted out for it.

I can't say I gave it much thought because the bounty was a bigger focus to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fort Benning had eradication teams going. (Until one hunter was downrange during a live MG shoot and was killed.) He failed to follow the rules and the teams were disbanded. Theyll start up again once the pigs/hogs are rooting around the Ranger Memorial.</div></div>

Even the Commanding General's mansion, "Riverside" was open to archery-only, as well as new construction areas. The first year the CG's mansion grounds were opened they harvested 17 deer (2005, I believe). </div></div>

I heard a rumor about the eradication teams as well, only they were supposedly contracted out for it.

I can't say I gave it much thought because the bounty was a bigger focus to me. </div></div>

Don't know all the ins and outs, but the Judas pig project did take place in part on Benning, I believe. They put GPS collars on dominant sows, tracked her and shot the other pigs with her and allowed her to go and reunite with another sounder we then tracked her and shot all but her. I would not call these eradication teams though. The study was thought to determine if the Judas pig project would be a viable control method of feral swine. I went on these shoots, but I could not tell you where on Benning they took place, or if we stayed on the fringes of the base.

It wouldn't surprise me if that info was misunderstood to a large degree.

Thank you for helping on that.

I grew up raising domestic hogs. They are mean and dangerous enough, I have no doubts that wild ones are dangerous to a meaningful extent.

They can be dangerous if not treated with respect, especially when cornered or wounded, especially big sows with suckling piglets. Those guys on the tv shows are a joke. They are scared of the hogs, and think they've solved the problem after catching one or two. We'll catch 30-40 in a day with some good horses and good dogs. Never heard of anyone getting killed, but I got some buddies who've lost a finger or gotten cut bad when tying their snouts. Now I've seen them kill dozens of dogs, but unless someone is really dumb, their not gonna kill em. Our favorite thing to do is a good ole fashioned pasture hog ropin... rope one, get off your horse then flip him, tie him, then dispatch him with your knife... my favorite sport.

Have a friend in Florida with a 2400 acre lease for his cattle and the place is overrun with hog's. I've been on a lot of hunts.

It seems the only time anyone ever came close to getting hurt was when a big boar or sow was backed up with a butt load of dogs and was getting bit from both ends it would finally just bolt and if you were in the path then you might have a problem.

If your just still hunting & come across a hog they will try to go the other way just like most other game.

If you happen to run across a big sow with pigs she might blow at you and do those little false charges. (Anyone who's hunted hog's long enough knows what I'm talking about)But thats about it.

I'm not saying they never will but overall I think it's rare, It's not like your walking thru the woods and from out of nowhere your being attacked by hog's.
Dog's are a different story they get hurt all the time. Bay dog's not so much but the catch dog's get hit cause there right in the hogs face.

Still a lot of fun if your into it. A good amount of people only go once or twice on a hunt with dog's because it is kind of gruesome to watch, They can let out some screams that will stand the hair up on your neck.

I'd rather just hunt them off a feeder myself.

Hi ATH
We tried it for a few years.
Kept about 50 or so Tamworth but got away from it.
Hated having to feed those things everyday. they'll knock you down to get to the feed.

That new show on discovery is ridiculous. Those people get one hog a night. I don't think that they are going to do much for the farmers. Not compared to the guys using thermal or helicopters that get 30+ a night. It was just a terribly scripted show.

I've killed a few of them, and I've been charged a couple of times. They are tough animals. I had a Texas heart shot on one in central California and it ran 800-900 yards before it stopped and stood its ground. The 308 went directly in to the pink starfish, and exited the front of the left shoulder, and that animal was very much alive and ready to fight when we got up to it. Then again the largest one I've killed was a single field tip arrow into the boiler room from about 50 yards. I didn't even mean to kill that one, just get it out of the yard and away from the deer feeder...it died 30 yards from the hit.