• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

One .308 to rule them all

Jeremiah Johnson

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2019
Texas
If you could have one 308 rifle, what do you buy? Scar, FAL, Tavor, Gap, Galil, Specific AR10....

Looking for an accurate 308 that is light weight and works well suppressed for hunting. Most shots 100-200yards but reaching out to 500 occasionally. What’s you recommendation? Leaning Scar

Kelbly Atlas with a 16-18" light or medium Palma barrel running whatever trigger you like in whatever stock or chassis you prefer.
I would personally take pinpoint accuracy over a semi any day of the week for a hunting rifle.

Reactions: 308pirate and FLhog
I’d say the SCAR17S or KAC SR25. Both will do exactly as you want. I’m also partial to Mega, I built an AR308 from their matched receiver set and it’s a work of art. 18” medium contour Rainier Arms match barrel and adj GB makes for a very enjoyable suppressed experience.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
Kelbly Atlas with a 16-18" light or medium Palma barrel running whatever trigger you like in whatever stock or chassis you prefer.
I would personally take pinpoint accuracy over a semi any day of the week for a hunting rifle.
My only beef with a 16” 308 is that they feel more... “blasty” to me when shooting bare muzzle. I had one that deafened me every time I shot. My 17S is also in the category even after changing the muzzle device. I think 18” is most tolerable to my ear when ear pro isn’t being worn (hunting).

20190914_181406.jpg

16" Noveske rifle gas with a Bushnell Elite 1-8.5 and a DeadAir Sandman K. Super smooth to shoot with an H2 buffer. It is even nice to shoot without the can.

Assuming semi-auto-It would be between LMT and KAC for me. LMT is a heavy bastard-but getting mlok upper lightens it up some. KAC is a smooth operator. Both are shooters.

Reactions: Jsp556
Scar 17 or 20 unless you run clip on optics.

Kac is probably best. Seekins is nice too. Larue OBRs with the old style barrel get lots of good reviews too.

A gap10 with a lighter barrel and stock would be real nice too.

I would go 6.5. .308 is so 2001

Reactions: CBDR
Why no to the Scar for clip on optics? I know it’s an known for an optic killer but curious. I’ll probably mount my Eotech Vudu 5-25 and a clip on night vision or thermal.

I go with what I got...Ruger Gunsite Scout. Mounted an XS rail for the larger aperture on the rear sight. Have a P.E.P.R. mount and a Burris 1 x 6 scope to go with it...and I am good to go! Works for me!

Reactions: TheChief
Why no to the Scar for clip on optics? I know it’s an known for an optic killer but curious. I’ll probably mount my Eotech Vudu 5-25 and a clip on night vision or thermal.
Because they eat optics and lasers. It’s one thing to send in a Swfa or Nightforce that has been eaten. It’s a whole nother animal trying to get out of warranty or gray market $5-20000 optics fixed.

It isn’t worth it. If I could go back in town I wouldn’t have bought a scar then spent money on a trigger/lower/etc.

For light weight Pof revolution or built up dpms g2 would be sweet.

i chose a Scar 20S, but i chose longer effective range over weight.

"lightweight" is kind of relative.

since i told my wife i would only buy one, i wanted something that would fill as many roles as possible, and have the reliability and durability of a military issue rifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: N-C
Ok, I will bit..... then what is your answer?
His given need he said "Looking for an accurate 308 that is light weight and works well suppressed for hunting. Most shots 100-200yards but reaching out to 500 occasionally. What’s you recommendation?"
Based upon the task he posted, I would take a 14-16" mag fed bolt. With either a youth or folding stock. I've shot a 14" 308 using a Sierra 2145's pushed by IMR3031 an got to 600 w/o issue. Using 217 gr sub ammo & Red Dot, it's still a good 450yd killing machine. Then add a first rate can that is only 6.75" long, an your GTG.

Reactions: Greg0326
Already own a mag fed bolt action.

Attachments

• 643C8375-180D-4902-8D5B-DDE491252DE3.jpeg
    643C8375-180D-4902-8D5B-DDE491252DE3.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 82
His given need he said "Looking for an accurate 308 that is light weight and works well suppressed for hunting. Most shots 100-200yards but reaching out to 500 occasionally. What’s you recommendation?"
Based upon the task he posted, I would take a 14-16" mag fed bolt. With either a youth or folding stock. I've shot a 14" 308 using a Sierra 2145's pushed by IMR3031 an got to 600 w/o issue. Using 217 gr sub ammo & Red Dot, it's still a good 450yd killing machine. Then add a first rate can that is only 6.75" long, an your GTG.

I can see thatand that does make sense. Because all of the items that the OP mentioned in his post were all semiautomatic rifles I figured that was part of the search criteria.

@Aggie1819
So i will stick with my first answer. 16" Noveske rifle gas 308. With the PRI handguard it doesn't weigh much with all of the add-ons removed. The UBR 2.0 is kind of heavy but it is great for balance when i have the Sandman K on it. And most important part, it is a freaking laser. I have only had it out to 300 yards, but it was holding a solid sub inch group at that distance.

I can see thatand that does make sense. Because all of the items that the OP mentioned in his post were all semiautomatic rifles I figured that was part of the search criteria.

@Aggie1819
So i will stick with my first answer. 16" Noveske rifle gas 308. With the PRI handguard it doesn't weigh much with all of the add-ons removed. The UBR 2.0 is kind of heavy but it is great for balance when i have the Sandman K on it. And most important part, it is a freaking laser. I have only had it out to 300 yards, but it was holding a solid sub inch group at that distance.

That and its in the SEMI-AUTO forum ?

Exactly. If I wanted a bolt, I’d be in that forum.
I can’t get more than 1 pig with a bolt gun, 2 at most. Throw in semi auto and I have a better chance to get 3-5 shots off. With 556 there is not the stopping power unless you hit in the head. Very rarely drop with that small of a round.

• Haha
Reactions: TheChief
True: As far as semis go I already own Long range 223, SBR 556, 300Blk and 9mm carbine. 308 is the next to come.

No love for the JP's??? They make the LRP-007 suppression ready package, sounds like just what you need.

Full disclosure mine is in 6.5cm but they had the 308's on the rack and ready to go.

If you could have one 308 rifle, what do you buy? Scar, FAL, Tavor, Gap, Galil, Specific AR10....

Looking for an accurate 308 that is light weight and works well suppressed for hunting. Most shots 100-200yards but reaching out to 500 occasionally. What’s you recommendation? Leaning Scar

I would get a receiver set from 2A arms and all the titanium goodies that go along with it. Then I would talk to someone about making me a 16 -18" rifle gas barrel from a 1:14 Krieger blank since I never want to shoot anything over 155s in it. I mean I can dream too, right?

Assuming semi-auto-It would be between LMT and KAC for me. LMT is a heavy bastard-but getting mlok upper lightens it up some. KAC is a smooth operator. Both are shooters.

MLOK chassis and light weight barrel options bring the MWS weight down.

Reactions: Jeremiah Johnson
Picked up a Daniel Defense DD5 308 today. It was super light weight and felt a lot like my DDM4 with a small M-lock. Well built rifle.

Then of course he had a Scar 17s sitting next to it, and damn that thing is light weight. Not as comfortable as the Daniel Defense, but never realized how light it is until comparing it to a different 308.

Reactions: Jsp556
I've been happy with my Daniel Defense dd5v1. Accuracy has been impressive so far. And it has yet to fail feeding or ejecting. I haven't run It suppressed so I can't say how it runs suppressed. Had a Springfield M1a and wasn't a big fan. Sold it a few weeks after I got it. Didn't compare to the dd5.

Reactions: Jeremiah Johnson
False that you can only get one pig at a time with a bolt gun, have gotten 2 or 3 at a time on multiple occasions. Best was 8 at one time. BUT, that was during the daytime, and if you're hunting at night then I would whole-heartedly agree that a semi-auto platform is superior at night for follow-up shots.
I built an AR in 6.5 creedmor on an F1 receiver with 16in barrel (trying to get lightest weight possible - 7.25lb final build) to try and get best of both worlds. BUT, shot placement is king. Best night has been 22 pigs in one evening, usually kill 75 or so per year. In my experience 5.56 works just as good as 300blk and 7.62.x51 Hit them in the neck and they go down. Hit them center mass and you never know when they'll go down, regardless of caliber. Have made "perfect" behind the shoulder shots on pigs and watched them run 600 yds out of the field and into the woods before they exsanguinate.
Better to spend money on Suppressor/Thermal/NV/Laser/IR Illuminator adding to what you already have, then trying to find the "perfect mousetrap" in terms of weapon/caliber in my opinion.
I like AR based on weapon familiarity., upgrades, and accuracy. Have spent lots of $ tuning M1As in past but just not repeatably accurate enough. Have too much $$$ NV stuff to risk getting eaten by a SCAR. FAL not accurate enough for my purposes.
I shoot out to 600 on steel and 400 on critters regularly.
Have shot thousands of rounds of 308 but 6.5 CM beats it hands down in my opinion. With a 16inch barrel I have similar drop to my old 20 in 308, with half the wind hold. Out in West Texas where I typically shoot wind commonly blows up to 20mph and is the major factor in getting consistent first round hits.
Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey.

False that you can only get one pig at a time with a bolt gun, have gotten 2 or 3 at a time on multiple occasions. Best was 8 at one time. BUT, that was during the daytime, and if you're hunting at night then I would whole-heartedly agree that a semi-auto platform is superior at night for follow-up shots.
I built an AR in 6.5 creedmor on an F1 receiver with 16in barrel (trying to get lightest weight possible - 7.25lb final build) to try and get best of both worlds. BUT, shot placement is king. Best night has been 22 pigs in one evening, usually kill 75 or so per year. In my experience 5.56 works just as good as 300blk and 7.62.x51 Hit them in the neck and they go down. Hit them center mass and you never know when they'll go down, regardless of caliber. Have made "perfect" behind the shoulder shots on pigs and watched them run 600 yds out of the field and into the woods before they exsanguinate.
Better to spend money on Suppressor/Thermal/NV/Laser/IR Illuminator adding to what you already have, then trying to find the "perfect mousetrap" in terms of weapon/caliber in my opinion.
I like AR based on weapon familiarity., upgrades, and accuracy. Have spent lots of $ tuning M1As in past but just not repeatably accurate enough. Have too much $$$ NV stuff to risk getting eaten by a SCAR. FAL not accurate enough for my purposes.
Have shot thousands of rounds of 308 but 6.5 CM beats it hands down in my opinion. With a 16inch barrel I have similar drop to my old 20 in 308, with half the wind hold. Out in West Texas where I typically shoot wind commonly blows up to 20mph and is the major factor in getting consistent first round hits.

Haha I do not live in West Texas and hunt wooded river bottoms. Not many open fields here. Only openings are roads and power lines. 1-2 shots is all ya get. At night maybe more.

Running Nightvision with DBal on my Blackout. On my 308 Bolt gun I have my Trijicon ReapIr. Both Suppressed. Probably move the thermal to the AR10 or whatever variant I end up with. The Trijicon ReapIR is Scar Rated, but still scares me as well.

Last edited:
No love for the PSA Ar10? I'm using one that, with a few mods, has repeatedly shot 3/4 inch groups at 200 unsuppressed. I've yet to suppress it, but that's next.

great points!
i still went with .308, not because i don't know that 6.5cm is "better", but because this isn't about the best when everything is relatively normal, it is about the best when you are going house to house to scavenge anything edible or useful like batteries, or ammo.
how much more likely are you to find a box of .308 in some abandoned rural farmhouse vs 6.5cm?

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
EMP weapons used to start WWIII cause airplanes to plummet to the ground.
one is heading toward your house, and you can grab one gun/caliber and a bag with some loaded mags before the rest of your belongings and ammo cache is incinerated.
what do you grab, .308 or 6.5cm because it is easier in the wind?
c'mon mang, .308 all day.

we are talking far fetched. home invasion is pretty unlikely, but i am prepared. ?

Reactions: Docsherm and N-C
Fair argument. Love 308. Have components to load thousands of 308 still and it's what my kid shoots. He wants to switch to 6.5CM and I won't let him until he shoots the barrel out of his 308. By that time there will most likely be some newest/greatest caliber.
But that 150gr Fiocchi you find in a farmer's drawer probably has much different POI than the 165 GMM or M118LR you're accustomed to.
My own father can't grasp the concept and has magazines loaded with multiple different grains/calibers despite trying to convince him otherwise.
My thought is to be as proficient as possible with what you have. An OK plan now is better than a perfect plan later. Pick something, practice with it, and be as familiar/proficient as possible.
Best of luck. None of us have this figured out with all of the "what if's". Do your best with what you know and your experience.

Reactions: theLBC