• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One Bullet for .308

I may have chance to buy a bunch of Sierra 190 BTHP MatchingKing at discounted price from an elderly gentleman who used to load for 300 WM. Is Sierra 190 too heavy for 308 Win? My two 308 are 1:11 and 1:12 twist. I don't have 300 WM currently

They should shoot fine. I think 208+ is where they will fall off. Try some out and if they don't work then sell them or trade them.

175 Berger VLD shoots very well of my 20" 700 Remington .

Transplanted from the North :)

I am taking 178gr Amax. Have had good results with LR shooting on steel and also varmint hunting. Used to shoot 168 amax, but made the switch to have better results at 1k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks to me like a lot of others have come to the same conclusion as I have. If I had to rely on only ONE bullet for everything I'd do with a .308 it would be the 178 A-Max.

Now for a similar question. Assuming that the 178 A-Max was the ONLY bullet you have, or will ever have, what powder would you use to send it on it's way? Not two or three that one might use, but only ONE if you had to choose. Something you might lay in a large supply of if it was available. Case quantities of 8# jugs rather than a "bottle of this and a bottle of that".

Don't pick Varget. Too many use it and it's hard to get. Leave Varget for me. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this time Powdervalleyinc.com has kegs of 4064 just under $160.00. I have found 4064 to be very good for 168's, 175's and 178's.

sent via Tapatalk

At the longer range shots where the bullet is running sub-sonic I would chose a heavy soft tip, but if you are able to get up close and deliver a super sonic hit, you may want to max out the speed with a good well placed head shot.

Looks to me like a lot of others have come to the same conclusion as I have. If I had to rely on only ONE bullet for everything I'd do with a .308 it would be the 178 A-Max.

Now for a similar question. Assuming that the 178 A-Max was the ONLY bullet you have, or will ever have, what powder would you use to send it on it's way? Not two or three that one might use, but only ONE if you had to choose. Something you might lay in a large supply of if it was available. Case quantities of 8# jugs rather than a "bottle of this and a bottle of that".
Alliant 2000MR

178gr Amax, reasoning is they're usually readily available, very reasonably priced, and shoot consistently out of the 2 rifles I've used them in. Are they the most accurate bullet for me, nope but they always perform under MOA in my rifles.

Varget, simply because that's what I have at the moment and it performs very well.

Alliant 2000MR

I've got to agree. Here's a target from yesterday's load dev. session using the 2000MR with 175 SMK's

ry%3D480

I'm looking forward to seeing how it does with the 178 A-max.