• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes one more rookie scope question .. ( last I I hope )

H_Talon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2012
lost wages, nv (Vegas Baby :-)
I've spent a lot for my on my rifle.

XLR stock, trigger, cut to 20", threaded" but stock chamber,
I have a 20moa rail trued by Phoenix rifles) (they did the rest of the work too
great guys !!!!.0

I have the opportunity for a Steiner msr scope.. given it's is stock varmint
barrel and chamber.[ can't cover the cost a a new barrel for now] I'll prob keep it under 700 yds
for shooting. I'd love to shoot golf balls @ 500yds (kinky I know)
my bullet for now is the 162 amax haven't built a load yet but working on it :-(
powder will be Varget (since I have a ton , sort of)

so is the choice is 1.Steiner M5xi 3-15x50-Military Rifle Scope MSR Reticle Model 5573
or the Steiner M5Xi 5-25x56mm MSR Military Rifle Scope MSR Reticle Model 5550.

the wife is buying it for me {isn't she a peach}..

not sure on the rings maybe the burris extreme .. even though I like the Spuhr one piece system.
( a lot ) ..

if anyone has the spuhr's in a XLR with a similar scope what rings did you use for the proper height ????

but I digress .. Which Steiner do you suggest and why...

thanks in advance guys ... !!!!!

Talon

ps. have a hunting scope for now ..

IMG_7441_zps886d2101.jpg

I know terrible pic but I'd rather buy guns rather than camera's lolololololol

If you dont particulary need scope cabable of very fast off-hand aiming under about 75yds, it is 5-25 then.
Also If you appreciate light and small scopes, then 3-15 might work better for you.

It's no coincident that majority of LR bolt action rifles still have 5-25 scopes.

Last edited:
You have a new barrel laying on the ground in that picture. For long range shooting you don't need 5 magazines. If you had an AR15 it would be different. Sell a few mags and the scope possibly the shiny hand gun. You will have a pocket full o cash for a barrel.

5-25X! You'll eventually want to stretch it further and will probably want a nice suppressor in the future. A TBAC will make your shooting days much more pleasurable. My wife likes me to buy guns and reloading stuff. She keeps track of what I spend and buys equal amounts of jewelry, handbags and shoes. :)

I'm confused.
Why did you cut the trigger and how do you true a rail?
Why would you spend 3000.00 dollars on a high end scope, and then use budget rings?

Have you thought this through at all?

If you went with the SS 5-20, you would get an excellent scope with enough left over for a match barrel and a good set of rings.

You have a new barrel laying on the ground in that picture. For long range shooting you don't need 5 magazines. If you had an AR15 it would be different. Sell a few mags and the scope possibly the shiny hand gun. You will have a pocket full o cash for a barrel.

well ... I might not but I've been a AR shooter so extra mags are the norm as I learn more then maybe less will be the order of the day, and the "Shiny Pistol" was a gift from the wife ( My holy grail) sooo not ever leaving on this side of the grave :)

5-25X! You'll eventually want to stretch it further and will probably want a nice suppressor in the future. A TBAC will make your shooting days much more pleasurable. My wife likes me to buy guns and reloading stuff. She keeps track of what I spend and buys equal amounts of jewelry, handbags and shoes. :)

she buys me stuff upon ocasion, her purses and shoes makes my colection look small :)

I'm confused.
Why did you cut the trigger and how do you true a rail?
Why would you spend 3000.00 dollars on a high end scope, and then use budget rings?

Have you thought this through at all?

If you went with the SS 5-20, you would get an excellent scope with enough left over for a match barrel and a good set of rings.

sorry ... I changed the trigger, cut the barrel (don't like long barrels) rail screws changed to larger ones for better grip. rail centered to the receiver.

the rings are why I'm asking ??? suggestions ???? and if I had all the answers i wouldn't be asking :)
and the plan is to shoot out this barrel then replace it down the road when I'd know the differance.
for hunting I try and stay under the 200 yrds limit, I don't plan on shooting much past 700-800 ydrs and the 20" should get me there. not that I'll never shoot a "silver dollar @ a grand" lololol but steel plates should be ok. I don't want to buy one scope today and another 6 months from now. since this will be the only distance shooter I have. buying scope after scope adds more than I want to put into this since they run 1500 to 3000+ each. My hunters are 200-300 guns. and lever guns on top of that so this will be a learning and fun gun not a meat provider. so I'm buying well but limiting how I do it. (thinking it through as best I can)

thanks for any and all suggestions.

well ... I might not but I've been a AR shooter so extra mags are the norm as I learn more then maybe less will be the order of the day, and the "Shiny Pistol" was a gift from the wife ( My holy grail) sooo not ever leaving on this side of the grave :)

Hard to tell from the pic is that a Pasadena 44 auto mag ?

Hard to tell from the pic is that a Pasadena 44 auto mag ?

if El Monte is Pasadena then yep ... was going thru foot surgery and the wife
asked what my " Holy Grail " was which on course was the auto mag ...
so to make me feel better ... I received a 44 automag ... How Cool !!!
wish it was a Lion head but I'll never complain I dreamed of one since 1969 when the
pic's of a pile of parts showed up in guns rags... and now .. i got one :)

thanks for the interest (sorry to derail my own thread) back to the regular
question ...

sorry ... I changed the trigger, cut the barrel (don't like long barrels) rail screws changed to larger ones for better grip. rail centered to the receiver.

the rings are why I'm asking ??? suggestions ???? and if I had all the answers i wouldn't be asking :)
and the plan is to shoot out this barrel then replace it down the road when I'd know the differance.
for hunting I try and stay under the 200 yrds limit, I don't plan on shooting much past 700-800 ydrs and the 20" should get me there. not that I'll never shoot a "silver dollar @ a grand" lololol but steel plates should be ok. I don't want to buy one scope today and another 6 months from now. since this will be the only distance shooter I have. buying scope after scope adds more than I want to put into this since they run 1500 to 3000+ each. My hunters are 200-300 guns. and lever guns on top of that so this will be a learning and fun gun not a meat provider. so I'm buying well but limiting how I do it. (thinking it through as best I can)

thanks for any and all suggestions.

That's okay, I was just giving you some jazz.
The Steiner scopes are awesome, IOR makes some very nice steel rings that run about 115, much better than the Burris rings. Nightforce makes awesome rings, as do several others. (TPS when you can get them). I'm running a pair of EGW tacticals right now that I'm pleased with