• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing One tough doe

Carpenter07

Private
Minuteman
During the Kansas "fill the freezer" doe season I found the luckiest doe I've ever seen. She looked nothing out of the ordinary until I skinned her. That's when we realized that she had narrowly escaped death the year before. It looks like she was shot right across the top of her spine breaking off a part of her vertebrae but not severing her spine. She also lost a good amount of her back straps. Fat and muscle had grown around the wound and she seemed to be getting along just fine as she was quite fat and healthy looking. She wasn't so lucky this year.

Ray

IMG_0863.jpg

Re: One tough doe

That's why I like to bust up the running gear. Never was a fan of spine shots.

my dads 10 point this year had a hole just above the spine you could put your small finger thru .he was licking his wound when my dad shot him in the pump station ,went 13 yds and dropped

I found a broadhead on another lucky doe here in VA.

The broadhead was stuck on a vertebra just behind the neck. Gristle had grown all around it and I was lucky not to cut myself on it. It was still sharp as hell.

Its pretty amazing when you think about it.

These animals have no hospitals or medical treatment at all, they just soldier on even after being hit by rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its pretty amazing when you think about it.

These animals have no hospitals or medical treatment at all, they just soldier on even after being hit by rifle. </div></div>

It really is amazing what they can go through. Last summer I saw a doe that had just been hit by a car, she was missing a good part of one of a hind quarters. I watched her walk to the woods and stop and get a bite of some vegetation before she disappeared. I have no doubt that she went off and died, I wanted to go and put her down but couldn't get to her.

all this and yet how many times do we see one dead on the side of the road that took a roundhouse to the nose from a car or truck side mirror? They are amazingly strong yet fragile critters. I've had 2 in the past few years that showed signs of trauma before i got to them. the button buck this year was the worst...his front right leg was healed frozen at the elbow from what appears to be a car hit. I failed to get pics of the damage at the shoulder and didn't notice until i tried to flip him over while field dressing. I thought "there's no way he has any kind of rigor mortis already...but it was rigid as can be. He was getting around just fine too. his hoof on that side kept growing but never wore down...it almost looked like slipper foot. There was a little yucky stuff in that shoulder still...i ended up wasting the whole shoulder instead of dealing with the gnarly bits.

5298620788_8cf47fb112.jpg

5298626380_af811780a1.jpg

5298638884_6cbc298936.jpg

sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

I shot a good buck several yrs. ago, with my .308 that still had a 4" pc. of carbon arrow shaft along with a bright, shiny G-5 Montec attatched. It happened to be from an errant bowshot that went high, by my 12 yr. old son. The buck was chasing a doe and showed no ill effects from it, 21 days after the intial shot...tough indeed.

I used to run the cutting room for a game processor here in MT and you would be surprised how many deer and elk a year we would get with tops of the vertebra blown out or blown up and healed front shoulders. Usually found a half dozen broad heads a year also stuck in shoulders or vertebra, most of them were Muzzy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot a good buck several yrs. ago, with my .308 that still had a 4" pc. of carbon arrow shaft along with a bright, shiny G-5 Montec attatched. It happened to be from an errant bowshot that went high, by my 12 yr. old son. The buck was chasing a doe and showed no ill effects from it, 21 days after the intial shot...tough indeed. </div></div>

Far out thats amazing!