• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft only shoe goo for ghillie?

Genin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2004
Williamsport, Pa
Hello all. I am working on my first ghillie suit and was doing some research. It seems that some people say that using shoe goo is just as good, if not better, than thread. Is this true? I'd love to not have to waste time threading all my netting on if I could just attach it with goo.

Thanks for the help.

Re: only shoe goo for ghillie?

Yep it can be done. My veil and pants are both made in this manner. My top was made by some nice korean ladies though.

Thanks for the reply. I'm really looking forward to not sewing for hours and hours lol.

if you want a tough as nails suit, I would sew some with un waxed floss, tie a knot (simple square knot), then dab a bit of shoe goo on the knot. It will keep the knot intact and provide a little more adhesion from net to garment. May take a little longer, but you will get out of the suit, what you put into it. Don't take a short cut.

Damn you! I'm very OCD when it comes to making sure things are done right, that's why I was hoping it would be a unanimous "only use goo". I guess I'll be threading.

Based on that, I have a second question. Do you sew on every square (ie, every inch) or do you sew one every two, three, etc.?

I only sewed a few points on the netting really. I sewed about every 6-9" some places closer depending on where and how the netting was layed over and my stretch points.

Just cut the shape of your netting out to the shape of your BDUs and go from there, sewing every square inch is overkill but you need a little bit to hold up good whenever you snag brush and such in the woods, shoe glue only will not cut it.

dirty drew,
thanks for the tips brother.

brutus,
I am only using this for hunting purposes. My father-in-law recently purchased about 50 acres and says he wants to use it for hunting/trapping/camping etc. Of course that was the only reason I needed to make myself a full on ghillie suit lol. I'm not military or LE but want to make sure it lasts. I hate having to redo something because I was lazy.

Also make sure you spray paint the shoe goo spots to get rid of the shine.

Another fixative for the knots is "Super Glue". It soaks into the thread/floss and doesn't leave as big a lump as Shoe Goo.

Good thinking Ajwcotton. I'll keep that in mind.

FNP,
I actually purchased e-6000 because it has a slightly more runny consistency than shoe goo and will soak into the thread better.

Once I get the rest of my supplies in (should be next Wednesday), I'll get rolling and post up some pics along the way.I'm expecting that this will take me a very long time so it'll be slow going.

Thank you for the reply. I'm going to sew every single knot of netting then use the e-6000 on the knots. I'd rather spend the time then do it half-assed and regret it later.

Another question. What are you gentlemen using to make your ghillies tick and critter proof?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Genin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question. What are you gentlemen using to make your ghillies tick and critter proof? </div></div>

Wear lots of under armour or skintight clothing underneath...

I've never really had problems with ticks and bugs with the suit on, and I usually use it for early deer season and turkey when the ticks are in full force. If youre REALLY worried about ticks staying in the gnarly shit of the suit try soaking the suit with a garden hose and let it dry in the sun after using it. Once again never had problems but i would assume it would keep critters from living in it. Plus it puts that aged natural look in it more effectively.

I'll post a pic of mine tonight when I get home. You really don't have to stitch that much. I think shoe goo works better because it is thicker and builds up a little bit it will wear the top of the little mound and not the thread. Dont go too heavy on the jute either, most people go way too thick.

Ajwcotton,
In case it matters I plan on using Nylon, heavy duty, thread. I figure this won't rot and will allow some of the glue to be absorbed and really hold tight for a really long time.

Here's what I have in so far....kakhi flight suit (flame resistant 2 piece), a boonie hat with neck shading veil, and a face mask (also flame resistant). I plan on adding the jute very slowly and after I'm done I'm going to spray paint the front of the suit to blend it well and aid in the camo. I'll try my best to not go way overboard on the jute....no promises.

Ok I got all my supplies in and have already started sewing netting onto my jacket. I'll post up pics of the jacket with the netting on when I'm done sewing on the net and goo over the knots.

Here's the suit before any work:
003-12_zpseb70c617.jpg

Ok, so I finally finished the damn netting, sewing, and goo-ing on the jacket. What a pain in the ass! That takes some serious time and dedication lol. I will be completed the jacket before even moving onto the hat and pants. I need a break from the sewing. I did every exterior knot and then every other internal not not allowing more than 2-2.5" of area without a knot. All were then glued. I'll get a pic up later.

I would cut the netting off the sleaves to around mid bicep length there is no reason to have jute that far down your arms. and make an extension of the brim of the hat to the rear with some regular cloth that will keep the just off your neck when wearing it normally and it'll keep the jute out of your action when you have it turned around to cover your gun. Other than that It looks good.

Dammit I already sewed it on there! lol. Maybe I just won't add jute all the way down there on the arms.

You can't tell in the picture but the boonie hat has a cloth veil that netting is sewn onto. I did it because I didn't want jute and netting rubbing on my neck, especially if I have foliage in it too.

Thanks again for the tips.

You can leave the netting on the arms, it helps break up the outline. Just dont attach jute too far down the arms and youll be fine.

sounds like a good plan to me drew. I did start doing jute on both the hat and jacket and used matte spray paint on every knot to take away shine. I'll have both the hood and jacket done in a couple more weeks I bet. I am not rushing the pants because I purposely made the jute long on the bottom of the jacket so it comes to about the back of my knees. The coverage should be great for staying hidden and blended in. The pants will be done when I recover from these two pieces.

Finished the ghillie boonie/veil last night, waited till it was light out today to take some pics.

013-8_zps9d24014b.jpg

009-10_zps438cb845.jpg

008-16_zpsab34f669.jpg

007-10_zps2ecbe171.jpg

005-10_zpsd2b10e63.jpg

003-12_zps13e3c0fa.jpg

I used E-6000, which is a shoe goo type equivelant. It is supposed to stay flexible for the duration of its life but even if it does get hard and brittle I stiched my knots so they won't come out or loose from the suit.

Side note, that last picture looks like shit because the camera was set on a timer and the damn flash kept going off. The colors aren't that wild and are more subdued than that picture would lead you to believe.

Going to break it in? I think a lot of people try and get it to a 'finished product' stage with jute and dye alone.

Only the break it will get it to its intended state and tell you what parts were well enough constructed and what would come off in the field.

Doesn't mean you have to wear it yourself, a bucket with a few handfuls of dirt, stir and soak, then drag around your lawn. Should dread up nicely.

2/1 Kiwi,
I intend on breaking it in by wearing it, but dragging it around probably won't hurt either lol. I have some acres to ram around that are heavily wooded with a creek, some fields, etc so I'll be able to get it looking natural.

I do both. I sew on skids and shoo goo netting. The thing is, if it goes brittle, its pretty easy just to put some more glue on there and fix it up.

I'll be finishing up my suit tomorrow. I only have the mid/upper back areas to jute yet. With my veil on it basically looks like a full suit (because it covers those areas). I put it on and blended next to a bush tonight when my mother-in-law came over and she couldn't even tell I was there. I scared the sh*t out of her. After the initial shock wore off, she was actually pretty impressed with it, although I feel she thinks it's weird. I'll post some pics up when it's officially done tomorrow.

Ok, per the recommendations of many I decided to thin out my suit. I took about 1.5-2 lbs of jute total off the boonie and suit (only put about 5 on so I thinned out quite a bit. I do agree that it lays better and doesn't look as puffy. I am very pleased with the color choices I went with. I really think it blends. Here's how it looks after thinning it out quite a bit:

ThinnedOut1_zpsf4b336ef.jpg

Looks good mate. Soak it in a bucket of mud water and drag it around on the ground, dry, repeat. Easy home break in.

Like another said, you get out of it what you put in...so, I think it is a great learning experience for people who want a solid ghillie...especially, when the jute is overdone...everyone has their own styles and opinions, however I am very impressed you listened and thinned it out...if you didn't, I would have had to suggest you cut the material off the back so at least you didn't die of heat exhaustion while someone else is laughing cause you look like a moving bush LOL...my only humble suggestions are to become intimate with your ghillie...while you are conditioning it within the environment it will be used...learn its strengths and weaknesses...you'll quickly find you both will share one in common...so, my second suggestion is to add canvas (shoo-goo, sew, and spray paint) and replace any buttons on the front with velcro or your sculldrags will be hell!

Keep up the good work, brotha!
smile.gif

*cut some of the material of the back of the blouse and leave the netting in place

sorry forgot to elaborate

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: invincible03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like another said, you get out of it what you put in...so, I think it is a great learning experience for people who want a solid ghillie...especially, when the jute is overdone...everyone has their own styles and opinions, however I am very impressed you listened and thinned it out...if you didn't, I would have had to suggest you cut the material off the back so at least you didn't die of heat exhaustion while someone else is laughing cause you look like a moving bush LOL...my only humble suggestions are to become intimate with your ghillie...while you are conditioning it within the environment it will be used...learn its strengths and weaknesses...you'll quickly find you both will share one in common...so, my second suggestion is to add canvas (shoo-goo, sew, and spray paint) and replace any buttons on the front with velcro or your sculldrags will be hell!

Keep up the good work, brotha!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Thanks again Kiwi.

invincible03,
I ended up doing the pants over the weekend and then took a full picture of myself again. I like how it looked thinned out but decided it still needed more trimming. I'm going to keep wearing it, getting it a bit messy and then taking pics to see what areas are too bushy etc and keep trimming till I get it right where I want it. BTW, the front of this has a zipper that covered by a full length velcro flap all down the front so no buttons. I will have to look into skids for protection from pointy rocks, etc.

Here's the pics of it finished and after the initial trim:
GhillieLayDown_zpseb3fbc3e.jpg

GhillieDoneBack_zps334cf09f.jpg

Although it looks much less bushy than the first pics, I decided to cut a great deal more off after these pictures. I'll take pics of it in its current configuration soon. My plan is to just keep taking pics and trimming lol.

Genin,

Fieldcraft takes time to learn and doesn't happen overnight...my ghillie is at my buddies cabin (it's full of every woodland critter's feces you can think of I am sure so he probably isn't too happy about that LOL) and I will try to get it back soon so I can show you some pics...I hardly have jack on mine...remember, the ghillie is just a tool to help break up your outline...the environment you are using it in offers you your true concealment...you can have the best ghillie in the world but if the person doesn't know how to use the natural veg then he will be easily spotted from any angle, especially the front, which is the most critical...just keep on keepin' on and you will become proficient in due time...good to hear you don't have to deal with the buttons digging into your sternum LOL!

PS- the snow doesn't seem to want to cooperate with your ghillie...yell at it and make it do "20!" LOL jk

Yeah that damn snow is not helping me blend much lol. I'm looking forward to pics of your suit. I don't know if I'm going to be hardcore enough to get shit all over mine though hahaha.

Mine is pretty thinned out now. Almost nothing on mine. Ill have to get it from my parents house here soon and do some more work on it.

Lookin good

Hey, ya don't wanna be out there smelling like Gucci Sport or something! LOL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is pretty thinned out now. Almost nothing on mine. Ill have to get it from my parents house here soon and do some more work on it.

Lookin good</div></div>

Last I remember, mine was in desperate need of some upkeep, as well LOL!

Shay,
make sure to post that ish up so I can see what it looks like and get ideas.

invincible,
I've been making a concious effort to make sure I don't have any type of cologne, fragrance, etc when I wear the ghillie. I'm going for that earthy smell lol.

I did some more trimming (twice more) and here's the current pics. You can see that I am getting much less bushy and more sleak but still has a good break up of my outline. I'll keep on this path and see how it goes.

Trim4-2_zps6bcb6eb3.jpg

Trim4-3_zps2a656fea.jpg

WARNING EXTREME BADASS COUCH COMMANDO-NESS BELOW!!!!!!!!
Trim4-1_zps269c5430.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Genin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mud bath to follow. This weather should help me with that.</div></div>

Be sure to put up some post-mud bath pics so we can see nicely it mattes up when it's dry
smile.gif